* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TDD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:36 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
TDD wrote:
Hoth have released an amazing album called Oathbreaker. Some timeless riffs this album owns. check it out ASAP.

Just stumbled across this on Bandcamp yesterday. Only listened to one track so far, and I find it hard to believe that a concept album about Darth Vader will be anything more than "good" but I'm definitely going to sit down with it since they're from Seattle.

You have no idea how good they are. Sit tight, crank the volume up and get ready to be blown away by one of the best metal albums ever composed...

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:37 pm 

I'm also going to nominate Domains Sinister Ceremonies as an AOTY contender for me as well. The sublime shape-shifting rhythmic riffs and glorious lead work gives me chills every time, and I've been spinning it endlessly since I bought it. Bring it all together with some clever use/pacing of the vocals (and their style) and a furious rhythmic section, and you have a winner for mine. Stunning album.

Dead Congregation's latest is just such a fucking beast!!. I loved the debut (and the previous, excellent EP), but this thing is work of savage beauty, with bags of atmosphere delivered in such an uncompromising, brutal and fucking dark manner. It's death metal perfection.

My collection

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:28 pm 

These are my favorite albums so far...

Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere (yeah I'm a fanboy, so what?)

The Mire - Glass Cathedrals (first listen or two of this I didn't really see anything all that great about it but on subsequent listens it really started to click. Great sludge metal)

Bast - Spectres (this album has really come out of nowhere and blown me away. Black metal, sludge, doom, subtle post rock influences, it all comes together seamlessly. I honestly don't know if I've heard black metal and sludge come together as good as this before. I will be keeping a close eye on this band moving forward)

Hail Spirit Noir - Oi Magoi (I never really could get into their debut, Pneuma. This one is so much better, imo. I feel like they really tightened up their songwriting)

Old Graves, Coffinworm, and the Falls of Rauros/Panopticon split are a few others that I've really enjoyed also.

Oh, and thanks to whoever mentioned Salvaticus on the last page, I'm listening to their bandcamp page for the first time and it sounds really promising.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:49 pm 

TDD wrote:
TDD wrote:
Hoth have released an amazing album called Oathbreaker. Some timeless riffs this album owns. check it out ASAP.

You have no idea how good they are. Sit tight, crank the volume up and get ready to be blown away by one of the best metal albums ever composed...

I'm listening to their album right now, and although this is not the greatest piece of melodic death metal I've ever heard (or should say blackened melodic death metal?), for an American band they have a fairly unique scandinavian sound. It's like a mix between Dissection and Wintersun.... with a Star Wars theme... Good songwriting nonetheless.

the artwork is nice

Unaerth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:19 pm 

Hoth is pretty cool. Agreed, it might not be the "most amazing material ever"; but it is solidly crafted, uniquely themed, and a hell of a lot of fun. Artwork slays. Love how the logo looks like Darth Vader's Tie Fighter. Ha! Definitely supporting these guys. Already purchased.

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:37 pm 

nosferatu1234 wrote:
These are my favorite albums so far...

Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere (yeah I'm a fanboy, so what?)

Atmospheric Coffee House Metal.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:44 pm 

I need to give the new Agalloch some more listens. I definitely liked it off the first listen, but wasn't blown away. That could also be caused by the fact that I'm not really as much a fan of them as I used to be. That being said, I will definitely be trying to see them live again this summer as they put on a great show last time.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:52 am 

Los Random's Pidanoma. What a great journey! This album is mesmerizing...from the production, the sheer crazyness and the overall top notch experimentation this is maybe the greatest progressive metal album of the year. Here's the whole thing! enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuM9Qkzq0_Y

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:33 pm 

Whoa, Hoth is pretty damn cool. You had me at Wintersun meets Dissection, but the Star Wars theme is what's really hooked me.
Also, new Origin seems pretty solid, not much of a leap from Entity but still some intense, grinding techdeath. Half the fun of this band is the music, the other half is their live show. I've seen em twice and Jason Keyser is hands down one of the best frontmen in any death metal band right now.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:26 am 

New Hatriot and Agalloch are outstanding. Killer Be Killed is a gem but new Insomnium is stunning. Can't top it.
Honourable mentions: Archspire- dudes play their instruments very very well
White chapel - a grower for sure

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:54 am 

Not totally sure how good I think it is yet since I haven't even finished yet, but since I know we've got some OSDM reformation watchers around here, I was wondering what people made of the new Catharsis (The Polish early 90s tech death one)? While not aping the outright awesomeness of Bitter Disdain it certainly fits in with other midpaced meaty mid 90's prog-death bands (Particularly on the little bass licks), so it certainly ticks off both the "feels old school" and "Doesn't feel like a gutless cash in" boxes for me. I don't think the riffs are all that great on their own and I wish we got a bit more speed, straight up complex stuff and savagery so I don't think it's shaping up to be a must hear or anything, but I'd like to see some of the other guys give their thoughts.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:36 am 

That Hoth is pretty boring. For some actually decent melodic black that just came out, I'm digging Iskald.

The new Dead Congregation rules, new Diocletian sounds good but I need to hear it more.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:45 am 

Vanhelgd's Relics of Sulphur Salvation joins the list of amazing Death Metal releases this year.
Very good stuff

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:54 am 

Just got the new Eyehategod LP. It fucking slays, feels like no time has passed since Confederacy, in fact, I think the S/T tops it!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:23 am 

The new Thou album is the best thing I've heard so far this year.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:05 am 

Nahsil wrote:
That Hoth is pretty boring. For some actually decent melodic black that just came out, I'm digging Iskald.

Didn't know Iskald so I checked them out after reading this. I've been enjoying Nedom og Nord all morning, so thanks!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:30 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
Vanhelgd's Relics of Sulphur Salvation joins the list of amazing Death Metal releases this year.
Very good stuff

:thumbsup:
Bought the (white) vinyl and cd bundle :wink: going to get the new shirt too...

My collection

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:16 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
Very good stuff

I missed this, thanks.

Riffs wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

Didn't know Iskald so I checked them out after reading this. I've been enjoying Nedom og Nord all morning, so thanks!

No prob, just discovered it yesterday myself.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:17 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
Very good stuff

Word. A really good death metal album. 2014 is the year of death metal...that's for sure.

Like your reviews?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:11 pm 

Yeah damn I'm loving this Vanhelgd, more than the debut. I might put it up there with Dead Congregation for my favorite dm releases this year so far.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:50 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

I actually think the Hoth is amazing. Iskald is one of my favorites as well. After hearing their most recent I picked up all their stuff!

Like your reviews?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:11 pm 

The new Iskald is indeed a splid album. Other great melodic black albums from this year so far are Hiidenhauta and Vredehammer.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:37 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Beer Baron wrote:
Very good stuff

:thumbsup:
Bought the (white) vinyl and cd bundle :wink: going to get the new shirt too...

Excellent taste, as usual. That vinyl does look tempting, but i'll probably be getting the cd alone.

Nahsil wrote:
I missed this, thanks.

No problem man, just happy to spread the word.

mjollnir wrote:
Word. A really good death metal album. 2014 is the year of death metal...that's for sure.

I pray the quality of albums doesn't let up. Its gonna hurt my pocket though

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:44 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Yeah damn I'm loving this Vanhelgd, more than the debut. I might put it up there with Dead Congregation for my favorite dm releases this year so far.

Totally forgot about that band, which is weird considering I enjoyed the debut. I have to check this out. I'll be damned if it's going to beat the new vader though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:28 pm 

I plugged Enabler's new album in the other thread, so let me plug this one.

Widek - Outside The Universe
http://widekmusic.bandcamp.com/

I've been following this one since the "Galaxy" teaser was out. Phenomenal (primarily) instrumental, djenty prog / post-rock. Atmospheric, full of great riffs, spacey, and captivating. Even djent haters ought to give this a try.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:52 am 

Vanhelgd was cool, yeah. On first listen I didn't think any of the songs were absolutely classic, but the whole thing was entertaining, visceral Swedeath that didn't sound like any one band in particular. Fittingly morbid atmosphere. I liked the second to last song's waves and ambiance at the end and the last track was pure ripping carnage. Nice guitar tone and bellowing, Matti Karki-esque vocals the way I like it.

Gluttony put out a decent imitative album of Dismember/Entombed worship. It's nothing original in the least, but it's nice fun and only 29 minutes. They play energetic enough and I think they have some real attitude and spunk, which is cool for a band this young. Pretty good stuff.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:30 pm 

The new Master's Hammer, is good.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:10 am 

bug_man wrote:

That opening riff reminded me of some Dethklok song. I dunno how I feel about these new Master's Hammer albums, Vracejte Konve na misto was way better than Mantras so this I'll have to check out the rest of this album now, kinda underwhelming opener but I can't abandon it after just one track. Also, any idea what the actual fuck that album cover is supposed to be?

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:31 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Gluttony put out a decent imitative album of Dismember/Entombed worship. It's nothing original in the least, but it's nice fun and only 29 minutes. They play energetic enough and I think they have some real attitude and spunk, which is cool for a band this young. Pretty good stuff.

I recommend the new Brutally Deceased, if you are into some decent Dismember worship. I found that one to be more enjoyable than the new Gluttony album ;p

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:24 am 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
bug_man wrote:

That opening riff reminded me of some Dethklok song. I dunno how I feel about these new Master's Hammer albums, Vracejte Konve na misto was way better than Mantras so this I'll have to check out the rest of this album now, kinda underwhelming opener but I can't abandon it after just one track. Also, any idea what the actual fuck that album cover is supposed to be?

here's the album description from their website:
"An imaginary old wanderer (vagus vetus) squeezes through an alien labyrinth and nothing good is expecting him. Disgusted by progress and modernity of all kinds, he enjoys listening to aeolian harps and sounds of postmortal flatulence. He finds his consolation in hedonic experiences of natural origin. The phraseology of extreme metal, though already pity and worn-out, is here good enough to express the urgency of these topics."
So i guess the dude on the cover is vagus vetus. personally I like that song a lot but ymmv i guess

TDD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:42 am 

This is probably my 2014 album of the year. Astral, cold, poetic, immensely beautiful and owns a very strong Blut Aus Nord dissonant sound, but for me they are a lot better than BAN...
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Lo ... sis/389498

TDD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:18 am 

Another utterly captivating release is Negative Voice - Infinite Dissonance. Very potent admixture of styles resulting in a one hell of an album showcasing intensity and melody or the highest caliber...

P.S. Lorn released their monumental album in 2013, but they deserved to be mentioned, especially for those who hadn't known about their existence before mentioning the very name...

TDD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:29 am 

Oh, fuck it, Negative Voice's Infinite Dissonance is also from 2013. Oh, well, just listen to these masterpieces of metal and beyond...
Ok, I checked and Infinite Dissonance has been re-issued in 2014, so it's valid still...

Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:46 pm 

Amputation Spree full length this year.

x0r444
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:44 pm 

here's another rundown. i can't be as descriptive as last time since there's a lot but i'm providing links for easy access. hope you find something you really like. i think you will.

Pallor Mortis - The Art of Terror [death metal and black metal, brutal, atmosphere, contemporary]
this album destroys. one of the absolute best of the year. i don't remember how i found it but i can't imagine if i hadn't.
http://pallormortis.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -of-terror

Mayhem - Esoteric Warfare [black metal masters]
it's good. real good. very engaging, violent, and just a lot of stuff there. i think it will be embraced more than some of their others. whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn4BVUAzxSs

Black Monolith - Passenger [black metal, crust, d-beat, metal]
one of my absolute favorites so far this year. it might be #1 so far honestly. excellent in every way. the other one i can't recommend enough.
http://blackmonolith.bandcamp.com/

Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation Of Hypocritical Ambivalence [death metal, atmosphere, dissonant, cavernous, sinister, crushing]
guys from portal. more death metal and still out there.
http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com ... mbivalence

Kognitiv Tod - Mysteries [black metal, minimal, catchy, forward-thinking]
kind of odd and took me a 2nd listen and now i listen to it everyday.
http://kognitivtod.bandcamp.com/releases

Malhkebre - Revelation [black metal, french, very satanic, unique vocal delivery] another odd one. took me a 2nd listen. this is superior, top-notch black metal with character and vision and ability.
http://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com ... revelation

Trap Them - Blissfucker [Grindcore, Crust, and more, crushing]
they're pretty well known and for damn good reason.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... lissfucker

Incarnated - Try Before Die [(brutal) death metal but not the usual, fuzzy grind guitar, "death metal metal crust goregrind grind punk Poland"]
these guys know the history instead of osdm revival. kicks tons of ass.
http://selfmadegod.bandcamp.com/album/try-before-die

Lepra - Tongue Of Devil Prayers [overpowering vocals, black metal, atmosphere, engaging) lots of character, lots of mood, done right and interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwC7yQSDEKA

Abhorrent Castigation - Throne Of Existential Abandonment [slam death]
the 2nd amazing slam death album so far this year. replaced myocardial infarction in my car.
http://abhorrentcastigationoffical.bandcamp.com/

7 H.Target - 0.00 Apocalypse [avant-garde, experimental, slam death, brutal, grind, progressive, technical, russian] one of my favorite bands. not gonna hear anything like this. whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71uNeZPvZUI

Enabler - La Fin Absolue Du Monde [ metal crust grindcore hardcore metal punk, +some melodic stuff] i listen to this album everyday.
http://enablermke.bandcamp.com/album/la ... e-du-monde

Utter - Utter Darkness [black metal, doom, hypnotic, psychedelic riffs, catchy, atmosphere] this is some serious no-frills, dark, direct purposeful creative shit.
https://utterdarkness.bandcamp.com/

Sunnata - Climbing the Collosus [rock doom grunge psychedelic sludge stoner, riffs, crushing, exciting] do not pass this one up. you will never stop banging your head. seeps badassness. just listen to track 2. do it. http://sunnataofficial.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-colossus

Sights of War - Annihilate To Survive [Black/Heavy Metal/Punk]
these guys don't fuck around. there's a lot to like. they do it all right.
free album: http://sightsofwar.bandcamp.com/

Svffer - Lies We Live
Sockweb - Werewolf
grind from a guy and his little daughter on vocals and it's badass.
http://theironcouncil.bandcamp.com/album/werewolf

Nadir - Nadir [Experimental Psychedelic Doom/Sludge Metal, heady, engaging, murk] <-- pretty much sums it up.
http://nadirmurk.bandcamp.com/album/st-tape-2014

Ass Deep Tongued - Rectongued At First Date [pornogrind, france]
i can't stand most pornogrind but this album is badass and no bdsm samples. i hate bdsm so it's tough for me to find pornogrind to listen to.
full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O72UBiWeilw

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:01 am 

For anyone who misses Impiety's older style - from Kaos Kommand 696 to Terroreign - and enjoys Angelcorpse, Blasphemophagher, Infernal War and so on, the new Infernal Execrator record should be pretty essential. Black/death metal with a bestial, barbaric attitude but clear and heavy production. Listening to it now for the third time in a row, pretty damn cracking stuff,

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:04 pm 

Here's some kick ass Death/Doom Metal by way of Finland's Vainaja:

https://soundcloud.com/svart-records/va ... ta/s-yrh3J
http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/05/19/ex ... kadotetut/

It's an interesting concept behind the album as well, downright creepy to be honest.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:15 am 

x0r444 wrote:
Kognitiv Tod - Mysteries [black metal, minimal, catchy, forward-thinking]
kind of odd and took me a 2nd listen and now i listen to it everyday.
http://kognitivtod.bandcamp.com/releases

your link goes to a different album now - they seem to have released two albums within a month :scratch:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:46 am 

My album of the year by far so far is a complete surprise, someone should check it out and review it before I do :) The band is a married couple which makes it all the more interesting.
Spoiler: show

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:08 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
My album of the year by far so far is a complete surprise, someone should check it out and review it before I do :) The band is a married couple which makes it all the more interesting.
Spoiler: show

That cover art and the name screamed generic speed-y war metal. Few seconds in and those mid-paced, Scandinavian marching riffs kicked in, damn this is catchy. Not like I'm surprised, this coming from the same dude that got me into Thy Primordial, Propast, Entartung, Odal and like a dozen other badass black metal bands.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next