Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:41 pm 

Well, if you're into brutal death metal...

Infecting The Swarm - Pathogenesis.

Amazing mind-bending riffing and pristine production. Kind of a Pathology meets Omnihility type of deal. Not so utterly dynamic in range but straightforward brutal death done with precision, speed, technicality. It's jaw-dropping, at times. Worthwhile artwork, too.

Spoiler: show

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:02 am 

13th Moon - Abhorrence of Light

Very solid Black/Death Metal from Spain, with some doom sections thrown in to provide respite from the onslaught.
They aren't reinventing anything here but try getting those riffs out of your head.
My only gripe is the length - Its too damn short.
Spain has been consistently churning out some very good metal in recent years

x0r444
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:50 pm 

joppek wrote:
x0r444 wrote:
Kognitiv Tod - Mysteries [black metal, minimal, catchy, forward-thinking]
kind of odd and took me a 2nd listen and now i listen to it everyday.
http://kognitivtod.bandcamp.com/releases

your link goes to a different album now - they seem to have released two albums within a month :scratch:

they sure did put out 2 albums this month. i just found the latest one yesterday. Dysphoric Whispers, the 2nd one, is slower growing on me. the first one is called Mysteries and i can't say enough good things about it. here's the link for both albums:

http://kognitivtod.bandcamp.com/

also! the new Panopticon album, "roads to the north," is even better than i thought it would be. i'm a huge fan and everything but i have to suggest this one to everybody. the music is very dynamic with uses of melody (almost melo-death in a couple spots), guitar solos, i always love the style of drumming and this might be the best performance out of all the albums. i'm turned off by this surge of atmospheric black metal (maybe i just never noticed how much there was) but panopticon shouldn't be missed and this album specifically.

new Tombs album seems pretty good so far. not initially blown away but i'm sure it's pretty good.

also discovered a black metal band called Anholt from russia and the album is called "Karma Evangelica." i didn't have much aside from general curiosity but i ended up listening to half the album before i knew it. here's the link:

http://anholt.bandcamp.com/releases

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:22 pm 

Quote:
also discovered a black metal band called Anholt from russia and the album is called "Karma Evangelica." i didn't have much aside from general curiosity but i ended up listening to half the album before i knew it. here's the link:

http://anholt.bandcamp.com/releases

Listening to this now and it's really cool, some of the most unique black metal I've heard. Excellent find, sir!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:41 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
That cover art and the name screamed generic speed-y war metal. Few seconds in and those mid-paced, Scandinavian marching riffs kicked in, damn this is catchy. Not like I'm surprised, this coming from the same dude that got me into Thy Primordial, Propast, Entartung, Odal and like a dozen other badass black metal bands.

Haha thanks man! Glad to help :hail:

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:42 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
That cover art and the name screamed generic speed-y war metal. Few seconds in and those mid-paced, Scandinavian marching riffs kicked in, damn this is catchy. Not like I'm surprised, this coming from the same dude that got me into Thy Primordial, Propast, Entartung, Odal and like a dozen other badass black metal bands.

Haha thanks man! Glad to help :hail:

Have you checked out that new Sielunvihollinen (pretty sure I butchered the hell out of their name) and Sarkrista split? Just finished listening to it all the way through and it's really good, I'm liking these new Sarkrista songs more than their full length

Also, apparently Equilibrium has a new album out, it's pretty sub-par. Rekreatur had some cool moments, but this new one is just dull... They still have that Lion King vibe going on in most of the songs, it's just sad that bands like these have such a short shelf life before they start offensively recycling material.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:58 pm 

Yeah, I actually heard all the upcoming Sarkrista songs awhile ago ;) I agree they are even better than the full length... I'm still waiting for my actual copy of the split, but I listened to the "SV" songs on their FB, pretty killer split all around. Seems both bands are actively writing and recording tons of new shit all the time.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:14 am 

definitely two of my favorite new-er black metal bands to come out in the last couple years, SV has that mid-paced, Finnish style down to a science. I think Sacrificium Carmen has a new demo out now too, I heard a new track from it awhile back but wasn't blown away by it or anything, not like the first time I listened to Sanansaattaja.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:16 am 

Just add Incantation 'Dirges of Elysium'

Amazing dark death metal from the pits of Hell!!!

"You make it easy."

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:58 am 

Do you like your metal to be technical death?

This record actually made me press the pause button and remove my headphones for a while. It is one of the most intense technical death metal albums I have ever heard. It may beat Soreption for TDM album of the year for me. Everything is naturally super fast and complex. But these guys still manage to do one thing that most bands try to achieve but fail; writing good songs. Very impressive. Some may perhaps frown upon the production, but when the drums start hammering my brain to pieces I think it’s just perfect.

Archspire - The Lucid Collective

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:49 am 

Skaphe - Self Titled

American Black Metal is well known for its experimentation and this is no different. The riffs are dissonant, guitars are distorted and it results in a chaotic mixture. They go from full pelt to these very very slow sections that wouldn't sound out of place on a Funeral Doom record. One thing that helps this album is the short length, as too much of this style can be quite an overkill. Not usually my type of thing but i'm really loving this

Pest - Buried

These guys have decided to call it a day with this album, a tribute to their late drummer Mrok. I read a statement somewhere where the band members said that some songs were not fully worked and the album isn't perfect but they just decided to put it out there as these were the last songs they did with Mrok.
Funny enough, that's where the charm of this album lies. It just feels like a bunch of guys having fun, playing Old School Black Metal.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:53 pm 

I advise anyone who's into catchy, riff-centric, superb song-written technical death metal.. to check out Austin, TX's own Id. They released their first full-length album (via digital release, for now) "Philosofia" in late May on their bandcamp page. If you're a fan of Misery Index, Dying Fetus, Death, Hour of Penance, Skeletonwitch, do check out Id. Listen to their free song "Oath" and if you like it, buy their album for only $5.. You will NOT be disappointed. :metal:
http://iddeathmetal.bandcamp.com/

AuldAnxiety
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 pm 

My favorite releases from this year are:

Howls of Ebb
http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL49 ... w3pPcVhsFW

Emptiness
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lBT9XJj_H8

Both bands are unique, with warm trippy organic production. They breathe. Different for sure. But with complementary vibes.

I imagine these records are what death metal might sound like on cough syrup.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:12 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
Skaphe - Self Titled

American Black Metal is well known for its experimentation and this is no different. The riffs are dissonant, guitars are distorted and it results in a chaotic mixture. They go from full pelt to these very very slow sections that wouldn't sound out of place on a Funeral Doom record. One thing that helps this album is the short length, as too much of this style can be quite an overkill. Not usually my type of thing but i'm really loving this

Christ I just came here to say this. Haven't heard anything this dark in years.

What an aura.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:18 pm 

The new Wretched album is pretty solid so far, more progressive and thrashy in parts than their previous stuff. Son of Perdition was pretty top notch too, not sure if Cannibal's better in terms of track-by-track, but they're definitely one of those bands that doesn't stick to the same formula when writing new material.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:34 pm 

13th Moon - Abhorrence of Light

While not being impressed by new Dead congregation after all, and still evaluating new Teitanblood, current
output by spanish 13th moon sounds like instant like.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:28 pm 

^ The new Dead Congregation is a grower IMO. Initially I was only awed by the few changes like fewer interlude-like filler sections, more solos etc. And then I kinda stopped listening to the album. But some weeks ago, I've been spinning it more often and it only seems to get better. Favourite tracks - Schisma, Wretched Womb, Serpentskin, Only Ashes Remain.

The new Teitanblood wasn't as interesting as it was touted to be and I passed on it after a few listens.

This 13th Moon track sounds really good. Beer_Baron has said positive things too few posts above yours

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:24 pm 

13th Moon is ok, I don't think I've ever heard such a perfectly 50-50 black/death split, usually one side is a bit more prevalent in either direction. With that said I don't think it has that many great riffs on it, so I can't get too excited about it

BrianL
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:02 pm 

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:52 pm 

BrianL wrote:

You may want to add some more substance in your post than just pics. Lurk a bit more and you will see that these types of posts are frowned upon because we like discussion as well as photos. Why are these albums worthwhile to you?

Like your reviews?

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:24 pm 

Defilementory - The Dismal Ascension seems really cool, though I haven't heard the entire album yet.. Brutal death with some newer Gorgutsian (yes) atmosphere.

https://soundcloud.com/defilementory

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:21 pm 

shouvince wrote:
^ The new Dead Congregation is a grower IMO. Initially I was only awed by the few changes like fewer interlude-like filler sections, more solos etc. And then I kinda stopped listening to the album. But some weeks ago, I've been spinning it more often and it only seems to get better. Favourite tracks - Schisma, Wretched Womb, Serpentskin, Only Ashes Remain.

The new Teitanblood wasn't as interesting as it was touted to be and I passed on it after a few listens.

This 13th Moon track sounds really good. Beer_Baron has said positive things too few posts above yours

I've only given the new Dead Congregation one listen so far, but I enjoyed it. Definitely gonna give it more plays. I need to check out the new Teitanblood though.

The new Barghest album, The Virtuous Purge, is definitely worth checking out. It's some totally vicious black/death: http://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/t ... uous-purge

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:45 pm 

7. H Target's 0.00 Apocalypse is a lot better than their other EP released earlier in the year, Psy Slam Damage. Guest stars Mirus (of earlier Katalepsy) on vocals, which means the vocals this time around absolutely KILL. Lots of technical drill-like shredding, heavy-as-fuck slams, and stand-out riffage. Fully recommended to fans of Fast-Slow Demolition, as well as any fans of technical slamming brutal death metal. It will pummel you and transport you to a digital apocalyptic future.

Also, the new Panopticon ("Roads to the North") is worthwhile for fans of Panopticon or fans of modern black metal, check it out!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:48 pm 

After listening to the new Nunslaughter album in full I can safely say that it is probably my favorite release of 2014 thus far over both Thou and Eyehategod. I'm now listening to the second disc of re-recorded 7" tracks which is also very good. But this album is just amazing.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:40 am 

shouvince wrote:
^ The new Dead Congregation is a grower IMO. Initially I was only awed by the few changes like fewer interlude-like filler sections, more solos etc. And then I kinda stopped listening to the album. But some weeks ago, I've been spinning it more often and it only seems to get better.

Agreed, it grows on you when you get over the fact that it's not quite as seamless or as magical as the debut, but it's still pretty good.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:54 pm 

I think that new DC lacks more inspired moments, and that's too important to just overlook it.
I also have a feeling that new album is in a way "less extreme"

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:14 am 

slavonic777 wrote:
I also have a feeling that new album is in a way "less extreme"

it's the added solos

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:37 am 

Abyssgale - Hegemon

This is one hell of a Black Metal riff fest. The riffs range from the traditional tremolos to some off kilter stuff, drumming is very good and isn't centered on blasts; the vocals are pissed off rasps. Its an intense and enjoyable album with a strong production, and has become one of my favorites so far.

Precaria - Precaria Ex Humanitas

Some Mexican Black Metal with a flurry of dissonance. The length and near constant blast beats detract from the album but for the sake of the riffs, its still a worthwhile listen.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:44 pm 

I am going to mention the new Execration album... judging by the new song and the material on the previous full length... totally going to be a worthwhile album I think.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:08 pm 

Between Eyehategod, Wounded Kings, Coffinworm, Lord Mantis, Indian, and the Graves at Sea/Sourvein split, this is shaping up to be quite a year for doom/sludge fans like myself. Those first 4, at least, will probably make my best-of-2014 list.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:07 pm 

Infecting The Swarm - Pathogenesis

This band combines many of my favorite things: slams, technical brutality with guitar-driven music; vocals that accent rather than dominate or distract; powerful mind-bending blazing riffs, thrilling energetic climactic buildups, and some twisted futuristic evil seeped in. Elite performances throughout. This is one of my more serious AOTY candidates.

Edit: *apparently I like this so much I had to tell everyone about it twice. F-it. It deserves it*

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:07 pm 

Kind of late to the game on this one, but Dephosphorus- Ravenous Solemnity is quickly making a play for album of the year. It's been a great year for paradigm-fucking Grindcore.

I'm just thankful for a listenable, punishing, heavy, atmospheric album that ISN'T pretentious and devoid of obnoxious song-lengths... Ravenous Solemnity delivers this and more.

x0r444
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:08 pm 

Saor - Aura (atmospheric black metal black metal celtic folk metal post-rock scottish scottish music celtic celtic metal folk metal United Kingdom)

i can't stop listening to this album. the atmosphere is immediately consuming, the vocals are breath of fresh air... a different style for sure, but perfect for this music. epic, folky, narrative, vibrant, while being very powerful as well as badass atmospheric black metal (the good kind). i 'm not gonna say that it's in line with cascadian, but i'm not gonna say that it isn't. just take a few minutes to check this out. it's at least top 3 for me... possibly #1, to be honest. even panopticon, who has a warm, fuzzy place in my heart, has to take a back seat to this album. Saor's "Aura" is honestly THAT good.

http://saor.bandcamp.com/

The Infinite Within - Bestial Void Inevitability (death metal metal beatdown grindcore hardcore slam Germany)

i'm not the biggest "regular" brutal death (non-slamming), but this album is something to hear. it's REALLY FAST. this album may have slams since it's in the description, but it's so fast that it's kinda tough to say. this album is just non-stop furious brutality. it's traditional brutal vocals and not guttural puke like slam and at times the vocals are done in a rapid-fire way that i've not heard before... pretty cool. there's some guitar solos that are actually awesome and actually adding to the music and technicality throughout, which there kind of HAS to be with an album like this. sometimes reminds me of nile and maybe some cryptopsy. there's riffs and the song writing is excellent... not a boring moment, to say the least. there's atmosphere out the ass, on top of it all. but most of all it's just catchy and enjoyable as hell. i just got it the other day and i just keep listening to it over and over. maybe you'll be sucked in as well.

http://risingnemesisrecords.bandcamp.co ... vitability

Coprocephalic - Desolation Of Conjoined Embodiment EP (progressive slam maybe?... not sure but it's slam and it aspires to be a little more)

i really loved their Gluttonous Chunks album. this is quite a bit different in style. there's melodies. song structure more akin to non-slam brutal. the slams are almost hidden and fast. which i really like. there's atmosphere (?! crazy). vocals are awesome and rather unique, more higher register and croak-y. there's riffs, like traditional death. and there are (brace yourself) deathcore elements. now don't go nuts. i would suggest starting with the 2nd song and you'll know immediately what's up. it's just guitar diversity and really makes the music... more badass? these guys just have everything in their toolbox and they use it. only 3 songs and i'm blown away.

http://laceratedenemyrecords.bandcamp.c ... odiment-ep

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:19 pm 

Anyone checked out the Witchblood - Hail to Lyderhorn album yet? It was released this year. I've heard of them and was keen on listening to them but then I heard this live video from their recent Martyrdoom performance. Not too impressed and Meggido sounds plain annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZNpFcMl0CU

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:55 am 

I usually do a pretty detailed post at the mid way point of the year so I'll do it the sake of the norm, but be warned 2014 is looking awful shitty right now so I've got shit all to talk about. While the second quarter of the year has offered at least one top tier album and another very good one, things are still feeling pretty slow around here. My conditions for end of year list entry are always pretty low (85%+), but even then I've struggled to find too much stuff I'm desperate to sneak a mention of in. There's been quite a few well hyped albums around, but I've been almost exclusively unconvinced. After a really solid trio of years following the kinda sucky 2010, I'm pretty disappointed. There is one album which is right up there in top 10 of the decade contention which keep me from saying this year looks as bad as any I've been around for, but in terms of numbers of good album it really does.

As for trends in specific genres there was a little bit to talk about. After a few years being my favourite development in the metal world dissonant death metal finally seems to be hitting something of a saturation point for me. I still really like the sound and it still makes up a significant portion of my preferred albums for the year, even if many aren't listworthy, but 2014 marks the point where I'm struggling to really point out anything special about the acts involved in the scene. In recent years I could always blabber more about what Aevangelist, Altars or Lithotome were doing within this sound, but now we're at the point where all I can say is "more stuff in the scene". I still love it, but baring some really cool shit popping up my fickle mind may be straying soon. Death metal in general still seems to be my only happy hunting ground with the vast majority on my list being a variant of it, the increased riff focus of the last couple of years seems to be remaining the key approach. Everything else has been going in directions I dislike for the main part.

Given the relentless mediocrity of the full length offerings this year, it's quite surprising to see how good the standard quality of the EPs put out this year were. I don't like to put sub 20 minute things on my list (Unless it's a grind album) so sadly they don't get special placements, but I could make a mean top 10 EPs list release already, with top-line bands like Blut aus Nord/PHOBOS, Svartidaudi and Bolzer yet to make their entries into this shorter category.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best
As with last year I'm spoilering my 85-89% worthy albums, since they're not outstanding, more just things I liked enough to want to talk about. Last year it was kinda nescessary because the year was awesome and my list ran back to the mid thirties, so hopefully this won't look so ridiculous by December. Get your act together 2014.

8. Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation (Technical Death Metal) {Profound Lore Record}
This one took a few listens to really appreciate fully. Basically it isn't what their awesome 2011 demo promised, and appreciating it for what it is took a few listens. In short this is a rather easy on the ears take of twisty death metal which brings Dysrhythmia to mind more than Portal, sharing about 50/50 time with straight up super noodly tech death, it's actually pretty fresh and cool. It's quite a lot more surgical and mechanical than I'd hoped, with most of that Demilich-y organicness lost in favor of complexity and technique, but it is pretty good. I'm pretty happy naming this my quality cut off point for list entry for the year.

7. Dirge - Hyperion (Post rock/Sludge) {Debemur Morti Productions}
This is my first revisit to this band in a decade, and things have gotten awfully mellow at the Dirge camp. The post rock side of things is ramped up, the harsh vocals are sparse, and there is very little in the way of relentless magnitude which made up a good half of their 2004 album. And I really don't mind, they've got a really enjoyable brand of post rock going on here, it's melodic, it lets them show off their atmopsheric side without resorting to tedious ambient stuff they were never very good at, and it actually moves pretty nicely (outside of the drawn out final song) with plenty of riff and melody changes. All very nice stuff which doesn't wear out its welcome or feel too derivative.

6. Akrotheism - Behold the Son of Plagues (Black Metal) {Odium Records}
I admit my enjoyment of this is at least partially related to my general ignorance of black metal as a whole. It's just not a genre I seek out frequently for either new or old stuff, so my knowledge of both classic and contemporary acts is quite thin. So with that said, this sounds pretty standard. I couldn't identify a single thing this DOES that is against the norm, I just feel they do it really, really well. Huge riff counts, subtley varied vocals, and bold and lively production, good drumming, nice melodies, I just really like it.

5. Lvcifyre - Svn Eater (Death Metal) {Dark Descent Records}
This is one of those ones I spoke about in the intro which play in my new pet-favourite style of dissonant DM but they don't really do anything unique with it. Basically they play the style, and play it well, and add very little to the mix. They're kinda in the same general school as as Maveth/Altars in that they're not all twisty all the time, instead using passages of discordance beside more traditional parts. However, they do add one thing and that is skullfucking brutality. This is easily the most relentless and violent album released in the style, with none of the mellowness which has been sneaking into the genre of late (*ahem*Artificial Brain & Dephosphorus*cough*), with every song dripping with insanely fast blast beats and intense brutality. It's kinda like a less-techy/less-Incantation-y Ignivomous with passages of Abyssals second album, but angrier. Pretty sweet stuff.

4. Halberd - Remanants of a Crumbling Empire (Death/Doom) {Self Released}
I've tried not to get too excited by this one since I know the guys who made it, but in the end I've got to say I've failed. This is really great stuff, massively heavy yet catchy and riffy death doom with some Beanie-era Celtic Frost-esque faster parts. The vocals are fantastic (Chandy, make more Khanate worship btw), and the songs are diverse with subtle keyboard parts and melodic hooks breaking through the spiteful and crushing death doom I love so much, and it doesn't overstay its welcome like many doom albums. Seriously legit stuff guys.

3. Corpsessed - Abysmal Thresholds (Death Metal) {Dark Descent Records}
I initially veiwed this is an album with great sound and some very cool parts but mostly average, but it has definitely grown to something I can feel confident in recommending freely and calling a deserving mention on my end of year list. This is by a huge margin the best sounding album Dark Descent has put out with a thick, massive guitar tone which successfully crushes all comers. Yet, unlike basically every successfully deep and devastating DDR sound before it, it remains dynamic and lively allowing the buzzier fast riffs to have a little bit of character to them. The higher pitched Finndeath leads are loud and clear and sound just great, and the band is fucking amazing at them (Middle of Ravening Times anyone?). They have a few too many parts where they play very slow and uninteresting riffs and admire their awesome tone, so I don't love it 100%, but the production, energetic bursts, lead melodies and just lead noises in general all blow me away, so I feel pretty confident saying this is one of the best things to come out of the retro death scene.

2. Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation Of Hypocritical Ambivalence (Death/Black Metal) {Profound Lore Records}
Oh, so this is where the good Portal ideas went. This is dark, distorted as hell and thickly obscured by its own filthiness, but, just like Portal used to do, this is deceptively busy and intricately composed music. While there is the slow, morbid number which thrives on simplicity and atmosphere, most of the album takes place between frenzied high tempo bursts of chaotic messy black/death with twisted and clashing riffs contrasting off of one another, with some more accessible just plain bent out of whack semi-grooves for colour ("Metastasis"). There is an insane amount of layering going on here, having two very distinct guitar parts playing at once is commonplace and it's very cool. Adding to the overall excitement of the product are the noisy and frequent solos, there's like two per song which is a real unique and fresh addition to an increasingly well trodden sound. This is a very good album which should keep me guessing and intrigued for quite a good stretch of the year.

1. Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall (Death Metal) {Martyrdoom Productions}
Now here's a follow up. After putting out one of the absolute landmark albums of the retro DM scene there hasn't been too much activity by these guys, but there's no doubt that they've still got it. The first few minutes of the album are actually pretty mundane, but once it finds its footing it is absolutely brilliant. The band is effortless in the manner they manage to balance varied atmospheres, tempo, riffing styles, weight, energy, amounts of melody, it's just a masterfully crafted death metal album. There's massive differenciation from song to song, any they're excellent at everything they do. Not quite[i] as good as [i]Graves..., but a complete ripper at any rate. The only album released this year that I'd go 95+ for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do admit my total listening this year is down a little bit through a combination of stunted internet and life factors, but I've been sampling more stuff one song at a time than ever. In the spoiler tags here is everything I've heard in full, so if you think I've missed something awesome feel free to point it out, I may have sampled and dismissed it previously though.

List Worthy (85-100%)
Dead Congregation - Brings everything to the table, riffs, atmosphere, energy, heaviness, still at the top of the heap.
Impetuous Ritual - Oh, so this is where the good Portal ideas went, dirty and obscure but oozing with complexity and business in ever crevice.
Corpsessed - Amazing sound, some nice Finnish melodies, lead noise and plenty of filthy heaviness, more dreary churning than I'd usually go for, but the sound is great.
Halberd - Massively heavy death doom with beanie touches with some melodic relief and brilliant vocals.
Lvcifyre - Doesn't have a huge amount of identity beyond being a likely candidate for the most brutal dissonant death metal album out there, the violence is enough to get me past the general lack of creativity.
Akrotheism - Does nothing new, but does it well. Riffs 'n' energy with decent amounts of variation.
Dirge - Post rock up, ambience down, enjoyable and melodic stuff which moves along with decent pace and variation.
Artificial Brain - These guys have toned things down since their ripping 2011 demo, it's still a combination of tech death and Demilich styled dissonance, which is still cool, but the really twisted stuff has gotten rather mellow in style, being quite loose and friendly compared to the techy stuff all around it.

Good (70-85%)
Prajna - Fast, soloy, riffy power metal. (very) Weak vocals and few great hooks, but plenty of energy
Catharsis - Damn close to getting a spot. This is a worthwhile comeback from a 90s OSDM band, they've sacrificed the tech death for old school prog death, but it's good
Blut aus Nord - 2 song EP (plus an awesome cover) I know I know, I don't care, shit is fucking awesome. Like MoRT with more momentum. Honestly I think this is among best stuff released this year, but there's only 15 minutes of it.
Sunmata - The best nu-sludge I've heard in a while, very catchy stoner riffs, wonderful riff focus and plenty of addictive grooves. Even some kinda Nirvana vibes.
Agalloch - Retreads old works, doesn't look forward very much, has too many whispers, but hell, I like all the old allusions to stuff and they scrapped the shitty BM.
Mastodon - Here's a shock. This is poppy as fuck and you know what, it works. It's just catchy, radio friendly rock and it's inhertently enjoyable, no boring art shit.
Triptykon - Big heavy chugging riffs, beanie vocals, excellent production, not many real "holy shit" moments, but it's an enjoyable effort.
Domains - Good, unique stuff out of Spain. Has many rather "middle eastern" licks to many of the riffs, and has a rather intriguing guitar sound with a lot of high end which sounds almost symphonic over the death and carnage. Good shit.
Propast - Like Akrotheism, this is uninventive as hell but it's also legit. Only a three song + cover EP so it ranks lower, but the riffs, movements and sound all work.
Dread Sovereign - I know it's kinda the point, but it's a bit too stripped down and unambitious for it's own good. Has the ingredients for something stunning and settles for something cool.
Innsmouth - Sacriphyx was better. This is another sort of stripped back heavy metalised take on old school death/black, and it's a cool sound. Sacriphyx was better.
Conan - Not overly riffy sludge doom with a massive tone and kinda clean howls. Basically a cool sound over any sort of musical impressiveness, but it's a really cool sound.
The Wounded Kings - Massive Conan-esque guitar tone with some solid riffs, but the singer doesn't fit something so heavy. Basically she's a dirtier version of the chick from Mansion, and outside of the stunning title track I don't think it all works
The Ash Eaters - Aggressive, hectic and demented black metal. Both their most disturbing and extreme release yet.
Idolist - Lame soft song aside, pretty interesting little EP of solid BM with melodic, cascadian, rather heavy and ritualistic touches scattered about.
Terra Tenebrosa - More of the same no doubt, and it's starting to wear a little thin, possibly exasserbated by the super long song length.
Ea - Way more busy than they have been in the past, kinda like they're channelling Monolithe really, sad lead melodies are everywhere, faster parts, riffs. it's good.
Vainaja - Initially very cool death/doom on the slow death metal side, but it wears thing well before the meagre 38 minutes are up, and that's kinda sad.
Plebeian Grandstand - Kinda reminds me of Orgone? Sort of dissonant and semi-thin tech death with more hardcore inspired vocals.
Noble Beast - Iron Savoir by way of Manticora? Shamelessly cheesy, solid hooks, some songs think they're much more epic than they actually are.
Mayhem - I'm actually unfamiliar with post-DMDS Mayhem, kinda surprised to see how little Attila uses his range, it's got some weird, some brutal, not much great stuff.
Infestus - Some solid enough, floaty "weird" BM, has some dissonance, some twanging, some mechanical roboticness. Competent.
Slough Feg - Nothing overly new, a few moments I hated, and few moments I liked, vocals grated on me after a while. Has a few worthwhile tracks.
Abysmal Torment - The Katalepsy of 2014, just not as "big". Mixes together all the popular brands of BDM in enjoyable ways, but it was done better and more impressively a year ago.
Desecresy - Poorly produced which cuts back on the power of the midpaced stomp which makes up most of the album. Most of he Finndeath melodies are their weakest yet.
Thantifaxath - I'm getting Negative Plane flashbacks, a dissonant BM album everyone gets on board with, but I don't really feel the love. This a rather soft, melodic and clear one, and I dunno, without any real menace and destructiveness to go with it dissonant black/death just sounds a bit floaty to me. Panic Becomes Despair rules, but is an violent outlier.

Pass Mark (50-69%)
Primal Fear - Really like the vocalist, kinda somewhere between Rob Halford and the Hibria guy, but damn, these riffs suck.
Doom Vs: Not feeling it, just sounds like the boring Draconian songs with no female vocals.
Teitanblood - Intense with a good vocalist, riffs are few and far between and completly drag this down, I don't get this band.
13th Moon - Interesting for being one of the more difficult define black/death combos around, it's hard to tell which is more prevalent, still not a hugely impressive work
Behemoth - Blacker than usual, but doesn't really pack much punch and has very few good riffs.
Aeneon - Kinda a second fiddler to the AIDSy Hail Spirit Noir for quirky avant garde/progressive kinda-BM in the public mind, but this is pretty nice. Like most outwardly weird and genre swapping things it's not really GREAT at anything it does, but it's a very listenable, interesting album anyway. Stupidly overlong though.
Autopsy - Slow the fuck down. Lot of content, some actually fresh ideas but the execution is thoroughly uninspiring. Better than THR, but not by much
The Wizar'd - I hate the singer, lead melodies are good, riffs are meh.
Hour of Penance - This high position is very much owing to the strength of the first three songs, drops the ball hard. Brings in more chugging and toughguy crap than ever
Abaddon Incarnate - Disappointing, doesn't seem to have the same riffing quality and level of catchiness of the other albums.
The Atlas Moth - Noodles up, stoner grooves down, bored old man vocals up, cool hooks down.
Electrocution - "Lets reform and sound like a third rate band from 2002 with none of our defining traits"
Goretrade - God is this disappointing, their style of semi-brutal death just hasn't come over into the modern age all that well, There are good riffs are times, but there's way too much reliance of firing away on their lowest string and timing it alongside a blast.
Morbus Chron - Credit where it's due, this isn't an overrated copout like Tribulation last year: This is heavily committed to the psychedelic and retro rock touches. I couldn't say I like it, but it's definitely a genuine attempt at something. Honestly, it's kinda like the last In Solitude with screams, definitely not death metal, not that genre really matters, but anyone saying it's pushing death metal in new directions is a fool. I like the Solo Ripening Life and Start of Towards a Dark Sky, but most of this floated by me without an impression.
Anathema - Maybe I'm skewed by all the "they've gotten so wimpy" responses, but this pretty much the same as the last album, super gay and weak, kinda pretty at times, self apes a bit too much
Impaled Nazarene - I'm being very kind saying this is worth a 51 or more, this is mundane as hell.
Ribspreader - Bog standard. I remember enjoying myself well enough when I listened to it a couple of times, but for life of my I can't remember why.

Rubbish (0-50%)
Utter - I liked the first song for some reason when I sampled this, but everything from riffs, production, vocals and tempos are all just a bit off.
Zaum - Om with no swagger and nothing of interest to its ethnic sections, garbage.
Cynic - I listen to a fair amount of Euro power, and modern Anathema, but this is fucking gay.

Not yet rated.
Fungoid Stream - They're still the softest, most unmetal funeral doom out there, not as "aquatic" as the debut, but it does seem to be an inviting atmosphere. Needs time to sink in.
Slow - Another friend project I need more listens of to make sure I don't overrate, not in contention for my list, but pretty enjoyable, quite floaty and light funeral doom.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:39 pm 

Finally given the new Vanhelgd album a decent couple of listens and it's another solid slab of death metal from them, some killer riffs in there

DISASTER666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:57 pm 

My New Cd.

[spoiler]Image

Order the fourth full length album from Western Australia Black/Death Warmachine THE FUROR!
High speed vicious extreme metal attack!

Email me direct: [email protected] for purchase info.
Samples info can be found here: http://www.thefuror.bandcamp.com

Thanks!!![/spoiler]

Last edited by Metantoine on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No promotion, please.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:29 pm 

^Awesome artwork. Just to let you know though, you should use spoiler tags for large images, because it makes some peoples computers lag.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:01 pm 

DISASTER666 wrote:
My New Cd.

Order the fourth full length album from Western Australia Black/Death Warmachine THE FUROR!
High speed vicious extreme metal attack!

Email me direct: [email protected] for purchase info.
Samples info can be found here: http://www.thefuror.bandcamp.com

Thanks!!!
This shit actually sounds amazing.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:40 pm 

Haha holy fuckballs how had I never heard of this band. This is blowing me away.

Also, lord_genghis, always look forward to your megaposts, always find something, or several somethings, I'd have been worse off for missing. Pyrrhon's The Mother of Virtues was the first thing to jump to mind, however, for stuff not on your list. It's like a screamier, noisier Artificial Brain (on Relapse, and it definitely has a Relapse sound).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next