Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:25 pm 

Well, the title is pretty descriptive. I'm looking for metal songs with lyrics inspired by Twin Peaks, one of the greatest suspense series ever. There's a lot of material within the plot to write about, and its cult status kinda suits the heavy metal imaginarium.
Right now I can name just one song, but there a many for sure, even tracks that I know but I haven't payed enough attention!

The dweller on the threshold
The reflection of the soul
Slipping into the deadness of
This mighty black hole
Final chance now to set
My spirit free, I say
Fire, fire, fire walk with me!

Now I've come to terms that
Fear is the key
A dance now in the moonlight in
The circle of sycamore trees

"Through the darkness of
Future past the magician longs
To see one chants out
Between two worlds
Fire walk with me!"

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:08 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised if Anthrax had Twin Peaks in mind, when they wrote Black Lodge:

BlackFlag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:12 pm 

As far as I can remember, Black Chamber by Blind Guardian was about someone being lost in Twin Peaks world. It's very short and it's not a metal song, but whatever.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:26 pm 

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:32 pm 

I'm not sure if it's about the show, but Marilyn Manson's Wrapped in Plastic is influenced by Twin Peaks and contains audio samples from it.

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:36 pm 

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:54 pm 

Finnish melodic doom metal band Swallow the Sun has several songs inspired by Twin Peaks on their second album, Ghosts of Loss:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 pm 

Helvede wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Anthrax had Twin Peaks in mind, when they wrote Black Lodge:

This is fact, if I'm not mistaken.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:12 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Helvede wrote:

This is fact, if I'm not mistaken.

You are not, the song was actually co-written with Angelo Badalamenti, the guy who scored the television series, and many other David Lynch projects.

As for songs, here is Armagedda's Ghostwood:

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:04 pm 

I've never watched the show, but I'm pretty sure it's a strong theme in Windham Hell's music.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:27 pm 

Twin Peaks is my favourite television series ever.

In fact, Anthrax’ “Black Lodge” is not only co-written by Angelo Badalamenti, the music video also has a twisted plot that can be interpreted as a nod to the series. Note that the Anthrax song “Only” from the same record also has an interesting music video where Frank Silva (who portrayed the series main villain BOB) is holding a mirror and going insane towards the end. The first time I saw the video, I did not know Silva was in it and it gave me quite a jolt! BOB is by far the scariest villain I have ever seen in a movie or series. Just thinking of him makes me feel uneasy in a very positive way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7NSKXftE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW0HeE9ymYU

Aside of that, the Norwegian Hard Rock and Post-Grunge band Audrey Horne is also inspired by the series and David Lynch projects in general (the album title “No Hay Banda” is inspired by the Mulholland Drive movie). Audrey Horne is the name of a character in Twin Peaks:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Aud ... iscography

It’s not metal but the famous Norwegian synthrock band Apoptygma Berzerk has written a song called “Moment Of Tranquility” which is heavily inspired by the series’ title track. I like this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMWHBZ2s0KM

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:08 pm 

Guys, great stuff so far! I knew that I was forgetting something! I love "Black Lodge" :-p
Hell, that Fantomas' song is amazing, gotta check some more stuff.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:34 pm 

I used to be in a band called Major Briggs.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:00 am 

Dodheimsgard samples it on 'Traces of Reality' off Satanic Art and on the outro 'Wrapped in Plastic.' The piano pieces on 666 International sound rather Badalamenti-inspired too.

Solefald mentions Agent Dale Cooper in a song on Neonism, don't remember the title off hand.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:56 am 

There's also Fire Walk With Us by Aborym.

The atmosphere in Twin Peaks is incredible, definitely fertile ground for musical inspiration. I mean stuff like this scene is just something else (don't watch if you haven't seen at least the first 3 episodes of the series). Channeling that well would be incredible to hear.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:20 am 

Russian gothic metal band SeVeN covers Julee Cruise's "Falling" from the Twin Peaks soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfhgLIKDyPI

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:46 am 

I would rather go and listen to the first Julee album (whisch is great btw). The mix on that cover is horrible, and the drums sound like CRAP! and the song doesn't even go like that!

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:34 am 

Not lyrically about Twin Peaks at all, but how about using the main theme song almost exactly? Almost forgot about it but this thread instantly made me remember.. first time I heard this I laughed out loud and still cannot think of anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvhx3fSsJk

Graveland - War Wolf(first song on Fire Chariot of Destruction) at 4:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2cJUw_hRVg

Twin Peaks theme(everyone looking at this thread should know it already but here it is anyway)

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:40 pm 

Autumnblaze: "Words Are Not What They Seem"

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Au ... Seem/59132

Title ("The Owls...") and artwork definitely inspired by TP, plus a cover of "Falling". I seem to remember something about the whole album being inspired by it though, but I couldn't say for sure as I haven't actually heard it.

The_Savior
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:48 pm 

Not metal, but check out Dale Cooper Quartet & The Dictaphones. I copy and paste a quote:

“A hint of ’50s cool jazz, a truckload of noise and melodies, again tiny references to the Twin Peaks series soundtrack and some ghostly and deep tone voices: the Dale Cooper Quartet pushes the genre Dark Jazz towards other spaces. The album is further enriched by appearances of guest musicians such as Alicia Merz (Birds of Passage), Zalie Bellacicco, Ronan Mac Erlaine and Gaëlle Kerrien (Yann Tiersen) on vocals.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848p7p0BDRg

I´m not sure about their lyrics though? But I guess they´re in there, somewhere....

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:38 am 

praey wrote:
Finnish melodic doom metal band Swallow the Sun has several songs inspired by Twin Peaks on their second album, Ghosts of Loss:

Another Swallow the Sun song that seems to be loosely about Twin Peaks is "These Woods Breathe Evil", off the fourth album:

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:00 am 

Surprised I haven't heard about Lynch until recently. I only saw eraser-head for the first time yesterday. I guess I've got homework to do.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:40 am 

Well Twin Peaks is just as much Mark Frost's work, people seem to forget that. Lynches other work is a little more abstract and "artistic".

germandeather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:05 am 

Theres a song called "Fire walk with me" by the Thrash Metal Cripper.
No album version of it on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZy9_9ak_UE

Has someone mentioned the band Black Lodge?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLms7MQBrNQ

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:13 am 

So im guessing Twin Peaks is supposed to be good? i remember watching a bit of the first episode, wasn't too impressed but obviously it probably gets better

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:31 pm 

Ya I love this show (obviously - my name for starters) it's almost obsessive.

Bohren & Der Club of Gore took serious influence from the show and wrote an entire album that would soundtrack the show perfectly - Sunset Mission. It's amazing. Better than The Dale Cooper Quartet as far as dark jazz twin peaks bands go.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:18 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
So im guessing Twin Peaks is supposed to be good? i remember watching a bit of the first episode, wasn't too impressed but obviously it probably gets better

Supposed to be good? Hahahaha. It's only the best TV-series ever made. The pilot don't give you any impression how the actual series is.

If you have some knowledge about secret societies, conspiracy theories and theology. You will even understand more. I catch small new details, every single time I re-watch something from this series.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:26 pm 

"Leland, the time has come for you to seek the path. Your soul has set you face to face with the clear light and you are now about to experience it in all its reality, wherein all things are like the void and cloudless sky, and the naked, spotless intellect is like a transparent vacuum, without circumference or center. Leland, in this moment, know yourself, and abide in that state. . . Look to the light, Leland. Find the light."

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:30 pm 

693 wrote:
Folkemon_ wrote:

Supposed to be good? Hahahaha. It's only the best TV-series ever made. The pilot don't give you any impression how the actual series is.

If you have some knowledge about secret societies, conspiracy theories and theology. You will even understand more. I catch small new details, every single time I re-watch something from this series.

Ya man - it's just so good. It's weird and quirky and funny and the characters are awesome and the music rules.

ArcticTundra13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:25 pm 

I love Twin Peaks. 'Carnivale' is another show that gets thrown in there comparatively to Twin Peaks. Another unusual gem.

agonizer666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:17 pm 

Deep pression song " Earth Quencher " is based on Twin peaks and contains samples from season 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSn93Gx3z1w

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:35 pm 

Black Lodge - Anthrax It's a suprisingly good song for that album. Very melodic.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:42 pm 

Chimaira - The Flame

Nice heavy tune from one of my faves, has a sample from Fire Walk With Me right in the beginning.

Found this list when googling:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gyx3 ... eavy-metal

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:07 pm 

Nice little hommage.

AndromedaVessel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:21 pm 

There's Der Doppelgänger, a project by Chus Maestro from Hybrid and Oscar Martin from As Light Dies that rearranges Twin Peaks' soundtrack and even uses a few soundbites from the show. So far they've only released a two-song EP last year: https://derdoppelganger.bandcamp.com/releases

Von Cichlid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:55 pm 

I could have sworn that Limbonic Art has lyrics that say "fire walk with me" in their song Beyond the Candles Burning on Moonlight in the Scorpio. I'm not seeing it in the lyric sheet though.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 am 

I'm not sure it's about the show, but Harakiri for the Sky has a (pretty great) song called "Fire, Walk With Me".
So does Brainstorm, but that one absolutely is not about the series.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:40 pm 

Moonspell have a song called "Firewalking", but I don't know if it's about Twin Peaks.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:46 pm 

Not metal, but Laura by Bat For Lashes seems to be inspired by the show.

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsfHJjaQGO4

Not quite, and it's harder to notice since the lyrics are in German, but they're paraphrasing the poems recited by the One-Armed Man ("through the darkness of future past..." and "cut off my whole arm") and that bit about BOB saying "I will kill again", but changing it to "I will kill myself again"

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next