Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:19 pm 

Before Richie Blackmore started recording classic-influenced solos (i.e.: Highway Star), before Eddie Van Halen came around, and certainly Yngwie Malmsteen or the so-called "Great" Kat, Episode Six had recorded a single called "Mozart versus the Rest" with founding guitarist Tony Lander playing lead. The song is an adaptation of Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 11, movement III: Rondo all Turca.

The guitar tone and speed are amazing when you consider this is February 1969: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSrCswutT-Q

It would take a while before guitarists would attempt "shredding" again - or so I think.

Playing classical music on the electric guitar became a thing again in the 1980s with Rainbow adapting Beethoven's 9th (Difficult to Cure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JRo2kG5vIs). Jon Lord also did some classical music / rock fusion on his solo albums but they were more organ oriented.

Uli Jon Roth's Electric Sun would also cover Beethoven's 9th in the 80s (live), and he would record Mozart's Rondo in 2000: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfKKo0HdO5g

But did anything else remotely close to shredding happen in the 70s or even 60s ?

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 pm 

That's a really interesting recording and I like it a lot. It's a bit sloppy by modern standards, but it's great how it readapts a classical piece into a rock instrumental. In that sense I think it's a bit like what a lot of surf bands were doing in the 60s, eg. The Jokers - Sabre Dance

But I don't think shredding is necessarily playing classical pieces on electric guitar. I think that's more neoclassical. Shredding just playing fast with lots of techniques and surely is epitomised by Eruption. I would really consider the break from Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker to be an important landmark for shredding. Page also often threw in the Bach Bouree in E minor too live which I suppose might fit your bill.

Zodijackyl
Definitely Proportionate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:16 pm 

Al Di Meola was a pioneering jazz-fusion shredder. While he adapted some classical music, his signature would be from 1977's "Elegant Gypsy." His playing is incredibly clean, which is a contrast to some of the hard rock/metal guys who used a lot of distortion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0aMCpRZPZE

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:15 pm 

Quote:
Before Richie Blackmore started recording classic-influenced solos (i.e.: Highway Star), before Eddie Van Halen came around, and certainly Yngwie Malmsteen or the so-called "Great" Kat, Episode Six had recorded a single called "Mozart versus the Rest" with founding guitarist Tony Lander playing lead. The song is an adaptation of Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 11, movement III: Rondo all Turca.

The guitar tone and speed are amazing when you consider this is February 1969: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSrCswutT-Q

Good find.

The part where he doubles the track is pretty groundbreaking.

Quote:
It's a bit sloppy by modern standards

Though in fairness it's hard to shred on old gear. Guitars tended to have high action, the pickups were all low gain PAF style things, and the amps were all SLPs and JMPs, right?

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:14 pm 

Dick Dale is worthy of a mention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaUdqAu1vs

He took influence from middle eastern music to incorporate tremolo picking into his playing, and it seems he was one of the first to do this (certainly to a mainstream level). Aside from being a total guitar icon, he was also the first to play a 100 watt amp - built for him after he kept blowing up smaller ones. While not particularly classical, he was hugely important in bringing more speed and volume to guitar playing, all in the early 60s.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:13 am 

If "shredding" just means playing lots of notes very quickly, guitarists have been doing that since the instrument was invented. Are you only referring to this in the context of rock music?

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:59 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:
It's a bit sloppy by modern standards

Though in fairness it's hard to shred on old gear. Guitars tended to have high action, the pickups were all low gain PAF style things, and the amps were all SLPs and JMPs, right?

Oh no great point. I'd never thought about it but obviously high action, where you have to spend that extra effort pushing down the string, is going to slow anyone down however good they are. Always interesting when technology advances art.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 am 

What about that guitarist from Focus? He seemed pretty advanced for his time.

Reply to topic