Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NewColdWarrior
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 11:31 am 

I was really impressed with Vitriol's latest album Suffer & Become, which to me sounds like the next step in the evolution of death metal after what Nile did in the 2000s. There are things like the drum production that sound a little too clinical for me, but it's 2024 and having a live feel to the music is perhaps too much to expect. That said, I'm extremely impressed with the songwriting of the band, which I think is light years ahead of most death metal today, both in terms of vision and execution. Any fans?

Last edited by NewColdWarrior on Sat May 18, 2024 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rowolta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:23 am 

Ye, its nice. A step up from To Bathe From the Throat of Cowardice. Vitriol is like a death metal version of Anaal Nathrakh, a fine line between melody, grind and chaos.

NewColdWarrior
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 7:45 am 

https://youtu.be/gXFetvmGQrE?si=hmXfuQU1HrISEtCI

I'm glad you enjoy it. The composition of this track is absolutely incredible.

https://youtu.be/YOU16fgh5PM?si=Zul6FcriK5ti1pN9

Great interview with Kyle.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 10:58 am 

The core essence (early 2000s hyperblasting death) is still intact, but there's a LOT more variety and songwriting variation + new twists on the style, instead of being a retro throwback like the first album. Awesome band, fantastic live act, generally one of the best modern death metal bands going. Getting Matt feels like the missing piece was added - don't get me wrong, Scott was a beast, but Matt is literally one of the best newer death metal drummers out there and really lends that out-of-control feel they needed.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:56 am 

i'm curious about that since all here are talking good about it... just, it's labeled "deathcore" and nothing in that genre fits me, so is it truely this genre or... ? yes I can play some for sure, but my working computer got no sound that's why

Rowolta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 3:42 pm 

Definitely some deathcore vibes, prog, deathgrind and tech death.

NewColdWarrior
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 6:46 pm 

Don't let the mention of the word deathcore put you off listening to Vitriol. This is by no means music deathcore fans would be into.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 7:05 pm 

I mean, they started out as a deathcore band when they were Those Who Lie Beneath (who were more "death" than "core" to begin with), but Kyle and Adam took over and turned them into Vitriol.

NewColdWarrior
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 7:52 am 

While it's true half the lineup of They Who Lie Beneath started Vitriol, it's pretty clear from the interviews with Kyle that they started a brand new band and not a continuation of They Who Lie Beneath.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:50 am 

NewColdWarrior wrote:
While it's true half the lineup of They Who Lie Beneath started Vitriol, it's pretty clear from the interviews with Kyle that they started a brand new band and not a continuation of They Who Lie Beneath.

Not this debate again. It was a name change. They even took a Those Who Lie Beneath EP and re-released it as a Vitriol demo.

Reply to topic