* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
Definitely Proportionate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
White metal.

A less-used term for metal with Christian themes.

Kommanderhooyah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:52 am 

I have mostly seen “white metal” used as a pejorative term (for a variety of reasons) and/or by people outside of the metal scene. The only defining characteristic seems to be Christian-themed lyrics. I know several Christian metal musicians, but I do not recall any of them using the term “white metal” in a serious manner. “Unblack” metal is used more often, but it is a much more defined term than “white metal”, being black metal with Christian lyrical themes. However, even within the Christian scene there is some controversy regarding the use of “unblack”, which was spawned from the satirical title of Horde’s Hellig Usvart.

TheUnhinged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 pm 

This isn't so much asking if a genre exists, but moreso wondering why it hasn't been all that explored.

So, when Katatonia wrote their Brave Murder Day album, they were listening to a ton of shoegaze (namely Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine) at the time, which is reflected in the guitar tone, riffing style, and noisy, dreamy vibe of that album. That led me to an interesting thought; so, it's nothing new for a band to combine black metal and shoegaze, or doom metal and shoegaze... but is there a hybrid between death metal and shoegaze out there? BMD, to me, is a pretty clear mix of death/doom and shoegaze elements, but has there ever been just a straight up blend of death metal and shoegaze?

Probably the closest thing I can think of, which is still pretty far off, would be Hybernoid's The Last Day Begins? album.

Youtube: show

It's just funny to me that styles like depressive black metal and black metal/shoegaze have never really been tried out with death metal. Quite frankly, I'd be interested in hearing such a thing pulled off.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:00 am 

I feel that Valborg and more strongly the related band Island to some extend have explored combining both.

Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:15 am 

In Finland we have this thing called "asennemetalli" ("attitude metal"). Has anyone outside Finland ever come across this term? It is used to describe bands whose sound leans towards post-thrash, metalcore and crossover.

PrincessScarlet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:52 am 

Is "progressive war metal" a thing? Like bands that have Blasphemy, Conqueror, Beherit, etc. as their main influence, but have like proggy tendencies? (i.e experimenting with outside elements, fucking about with weird time signatures, that kind of thing)

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:42 pm 

@PrincessScarlet: Progressive is more like a adjective. You have progressive pop, progressive rock, progressive folk, progressive trance, progressive house etc. So sure, why not. If it could describe a certain sound it's functional.

@Vigintiseptem: I never heard of the term attitude metal, also not in my native language Dutch.

@the-white-metal-discussion: just because it's lyrically different, it doesn't become a different genre.

Malefikant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:18 pm 

I recently talked with the singer of this unknown local band that completely ripped off Pantera in the mid-90s and he insisted that this style was called "Power Metal". He was obviously referring to the Pantera album of same name, but when I tried to explain him what the more common use of "Power Metal" is I couldn't even come up with a good definition myself.

_flow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:47 pm 

I've no idea what power metal is, and can't stand this site, but here's an article:
http://www.deathmetal.org/article/intro ... nfluences/

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:55 am 

@malefikant, here's a pretty accurate definition.

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Power+metal

Malefikant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:20 am 

Well, so it's just traditional Heavy Metal with Speed Metal influences, I can live with that. Still, it's a pretty obsolete term (just like Speed Metal from a nowadays Point of view, IMHO).

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:30 pm 

Maybe so, but without power metal and speed metal you'd have to chose between heavy metal and thrash metal for bands like Helloween, Blind Guardian and Exciter.

Malefikant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:06 pm 

Woutjinho wrote:
Maybe so, but without power metal and speed metal you'd have to chose between heavy metal and thrash metal for bands like Helloween, Blind Guardian and Exciter.

Good point, especially Exciter is a tricky one.

However, you rarely hear someone saying "you know, I like heavy AND power metal" or "I only like speed metal, because thrash is too extreme for me!".

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:15 pm 

They're there, somewhere. I think they both live in Germany though.

Malefikant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm 

Woutjinho wrote:
They're there, somewhere. I think they both live in Germany though.

Haha, yes, quite probably. But I always avoided guys with Helloween patches anyway.

I have a hard time reading that whole Death Metal UG article about "Power Metal" linked above without falling asleep, but seriously, Manowar is just (epic) Heavy Metal, nothing else. They came from a time when there were no such sub genres. And just because the NWOBHM died out, there's no need to give traditional Heavy Metal a new name when it still exists, in my opinion.

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:47 pm 

NWOBHM is werird indeed. It describes a genre from a certain area and era. Like Bay Area Thrash or Gothenburg Death Metal aren't actually genres on their own. More like a scene within the genre. Though power metal and speed metal may uncertain genres to some, theyare fairly faster than heavy metal, have dual harmonics and high pitched vocals. This might be interesting too.
https://mapofmetal.com

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:55 pm 

This isn't necessarily metal per-say, but how many of you acknowledge "Heavy Psych"? It's really more a RateYourMusic thing that describes hard rock that is particularly psychedelic in a heavy sort of way; think lots of fuzz; basically Blue Cheer and Sir Lord Baltimore and Flower Travellin' Band and stuff like that. There are some (like myself) that would consider even early Black Sabbath to be heavy psych to a degree, particularly with songs like Behind the Wall of Sleep and Electric Funeral. Heavy psych is basically the precursor to what is called stoner rock these days.

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:32 am 

I do listen to psychedelic rock, but I'm not sure about heavy psych.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm 

heavy psych is are psychedelic rock bands that sound heavier than your nice 60s-70s sounding psy rock bands.
compare this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSXneEvG5Vs

with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgkYJ4yv7aA

These bands combine heavy blues rock with the heaviest jammiest parts of Can and Hawkwind.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27