Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:45 am 

1. There's been a bit of a consensus regarding what qualifies as "symphonic" metal and "power" metal, but I wonder if there is a gender disparity between the labels. I've heard from somewhere that it seems that even if there is comparatively little orchestration in the music, if it has a frontwoman, it's likely to be categorized as symphonic metal, whereas clearly symphonic metal bands like Kamelot and Savatage are labeled as prog or power metal since they have male singers. What are your thoughts on this?
2. I've heard the term "epic metal" used, but is it really just USPM?

Kalimata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:04 pm 

LtLemonade wrote:
How is Motley Crue and Quiet Riot considered more metal than Avenged Sevenfold?

- Maybe because Motley Crue and Quiet Riot are pure hard rock and heavy metal acts while Avenged Sevenfold has alternative/core elements?
- You ask your question as if this statement was shared by everyone, but I'm not sure it's the case. Could you explain where have you heard it?

Kalimata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:15 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
1. There's been a bit of a consensus regarding what qualifies as "symphonic" metal and "power" metal, but I wonder if there is a gender disparity between the labels. I've heard from somewhere that it seems that even if there is comparatively little orchestration in the music, if it has a frontwoman, it's likely to be categorized as symphonic metal, whereas clearly symphonic metal bands like Kamelot and Savatage are labeled as prog or power metal since they have male singers. What are your thoughts on this?
2. I've heard the term "epic metal" used, but is it really just USPM?

1. What you've "heard from somewhere" sounds like a random statement from anybody on internet that has no objective values... Don't know why you're giving it so much credit. Why the hell the same music would be a different subgenre because a woman sings and not a man?? Why a man singing makes it more prog than a woman which makes it more "symphonic". This doesn't make any sense at all. Be careful what you "hear from anywhere".
2. "Epic" is just a descriptor. It just applies to any metal that sounds epic, including so-called USPM.

LtLemonade
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:29 am 

Kalimata wrote:
LtLemonade wrote:
How is Motley Crue and Quiet Riot considered more metal than Avenged Sevenfold?

- Maybe because Motley Crue and Quiet Riot are pure hard rock and heavy metal acts while Avenged Sevenfold has alternative/core elements?
- You ask your question as if this statement was shared by everyone, but I'm not sure it's the case. Could you explain where have you heard it?

Literally this website. They have Motley Crue and Quiet Riot, but they don't have Avenged Sevenfold, which is much more metal than both of these two. And Motley Crue is glam rock. They're the 80's equivalent of Limp Bizkit in terms of trashiness.

Kalimata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:11 pm 

Your claim that Mötley Crüe is glam rock and therefore they are the 80's equivalent of Limp Bizkit doesn't make any sense. I shouldn't even need to justify about it...

LtLemonade wrote:
in terms of trashiness.

Ok, I definitely don't need to justify :lol:

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:58 pm 

Motley Crue and Quiet Riot must have released at least one album of clearly heavy metal even if the rest of their stuff has been glam or hard rock while A7X has not. The criteria is consistent and as simple as that.

This is a weird sentence, but A7X might “feel” more metal across their entire career so far, but if they haven’t released one clearly metal album, they won’t be on here.

OCD means Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am 

Hello, just curious

1. what is the difference between Grindcore/Electronic and cybergrind?

2. what is the difference between Grindcore/Noise and noisegrind?

LtLemonade
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:03 pm 

Auch wrote:
Motley Crue and Quiet Riot must have released at least one album of clearly heavy metal even if the rest of their stuff has been glam or hard rock while A7X has not. The criteria is consistent and as simple as that.

This is a weird sentence, but A7X might “feel” more metal across their entire career so far, but if they haven’t released one clearly metal album, they won’t be on here.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Avenged Sevenfold (abbreviated as A7X) is an American heavy metal band from Huntington Beach, California, formed in 1999.

Quote:
Avenged Sevenfold are known for their diverse rock sound and dramatic imagery in album covers and merchandise.[1] The band emerged with a metalcore sound on their debut album Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and largely continued this sound through their second album Waking the Fallen. The band's style had evolved by their third album and first major label release, City of Evil, into a more traditional heavy metal style. The band continued to explore new sounds with its self-titled release and enjoyed continued mainstream success before their founding drummer, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, died in 2009.

Quote:
The band's sixth studio album Hail to the King, which was released in 2013, marked the only Avenged Sevenfold album featuring Ilejay. It would feature a heavy metal and hard rock style, with it being written as a tribute to their influences.

Quote:
Avenged Sevenfold's musical style has consistently evolved throughout the duration of the band's career. As a result, the band has been categorized under several genres of heavy and extreme music, primarily heavy metal,[122][123][124][125] alternative metal,[126][127][128][129] hard rock,[124][130][131] and progressive metal (most notably in their album The Stage).[132][133][134][135] The band's initial style in their first two albums has been primarily categorized as metalcore.[124][125][136] The band's debut album Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, while consisting almost entirely of a hardcore or metalcore sound, has several deviations from this genre, most notably in "Warmness on the Soul", which is a piano ballad.[137][138] On Waking the Fallen, the band displayed a metalcore style once more, but added more clean singing and leaned a bit more towards metal and bit less close to hardcore.[125] In the band's DVD All Excess, producer Andrew Murdock explained this transition: "When I met the band after Sounding the Seventh Trumpet had come out before they had recorded Waking the Fallen, M. Shadows said to me 'This record is screaming. The record we want to make is going to be half-screaming half-singing. I don't want to scream anymore. And the record after that is going to be all singing'."

On Avenged Sevenfold's third album City of Evil, the band chose to outright abandon the metalcore genre,[139] creating a sound consistent with hard rock, heavy metal,[140] and progressive metal.[141] Avenged Sevenfold's self-titled album experiments with an even wider array of musical genres than that from City of Evil, most notably in "Dear God", which shows a country style and "A Little Piece of Heaven", which is circled within the influence of Broadway show tunes, using primarily brass instruments and stringed orchestra to take over most of the role of the lead and rhythm guitar.[142] Nightmare contains further deviations, including a piano ballad called "Fiction", progressive metal-oriented track "Save Me" and a heavy metal sound with extreme vocals and heavier instrumentation on "God Hates Us". The band's sixth studio album Hail to the King shows more of a classic metal sound and a riff-oriented approach. On their seventh album The Stage, the band explores further into progressive metal,[132] blending it with elements of thrash metal. Their eighth album, Life Is But a Dream... shows the band taking on more of an avant-garde metal sound.[143]

Sounding The Seventh Trumpet is categorized as Metalcore and Skate Punk.

Waking The Fallen is categorized as Heavy Metal and Metalcore

City Of Evil is categorized as Heavy metal, progressive metal, hard rock, thrash metal, and power metal

Avenged Sevenfold (album) is categorized as Heavy Metal

Nightmare is categorized as Heavy Metal

Hail To The King is categorized as Heavy Metal

The Stage is categorized as Progressive Metal and Heavy Metal

Life Is But A Dream is categorized as Avant-Garde metal and Progressive Metal

Wikipedia says they've released multiple "clearly metal" albums

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:42 pm 

Is death "metal" really metal? Shouldn't it be considered a form of punk/hardcore with all that screaming and fast, noisy drumming?
Black Sabbath never sounded anything like that, neither did Deep Purple!!

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:07 am 

LtLemonade wrote:
Auch wrote:

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Avenged Sevenfold (abbreviated as A7X) is an American heavy metal band from Huntington Beach, California, formed in 1999.

Quote:
Avenged Sevenfold are known for their diverse rock sound and dramatic imagery in album covers and merchandise.[1] The band emerged with a metalcore sound on their debut album Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and largely continued this sound through their second album Waking the Fallen. The band's style had evolved by their third album and first major label release, City of Evil, into a more traditional heavy metal style. The band continued to explore new sounds with its self-titled release and enjoyed continued mainstream success before their founding drummer, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, died in 2009.

Quote:
The band's sixth studio album Hail to the King, which was released in 2013, marked the only Avenged Sevenfold album featuring Ilejay. It would feature a heavy metal and hard rock style, with it being written as a tribute to their influences.

Quote:
Avenged Sevenfold's musical style has consistently evolved throughout the duration of the band's career. As a result, the band has been categorized under several genres of heavy and extreme music, primarily heavy metal,[122][123][124][125] alternative metal,[126][127][128][129] hard rock,[124][130][131] and progressive metal (most notably in their album The Stage).[132][133][134][135] The band's initial style in their first two albums has been primarily categorized as metalcore.[124][125][136] The band's debut album Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, while consisting almost entirely of a hardcore or metalcore sound, has several deviations from this genre, most notably in "Warmness on the Soul", which is a piano ballad.[137][138] On Waking the Fallen, the band displayed a metalcore style once more, but added more clean singing and leaned a bit more towards metal and bit less close to hardcore.[125] In the band's DVD All Excess, producer Andrew Murdock explained this transition: "When I met the band after Sounding the Seventh Trumpet had come out before they had recorded Waking the Fallen, M. Shadows said to me 'This record is screaming. The record we want to make is going to be half-screaming half-singing. I don't want to scream anymore. And the record after that is going to be all singing'."

On Avenged Sevenfold's third album City of Evil, the band chose to outright abandon the metalcore genre,[139] creating a sound consistent with hard rock, heavy metal,[140] and progressive metal.[141] Avenged Sevenfold's self-titled album experiments with an even wider array of musical genres than that from City of Evil, most notably in "Dear God", which shows a country style and "A Little Piece of Heaven", which is circled within the influence of Broadway show tunes, using primarily brass instruments and stringed orchestra to take over most of the role of the lead and rhythm guitar.[142] Nightmare contains further deviations, including a piano ballad called "Fiction", progressive metal-oriented track "Save Me" and a heavy metal sound with extreme vocals and heavier instrumentation on "God Hates Us". The band's sixth studio album Hail to the King shows more of a classic metal sound and a riff-oriented approach. On their seventh album The Stage, the band explores further into progressive metal,[132] blending it with elements of thrash metal. Their eighth album, Life Is But a Dream... shows the band taking on more of an avant-garde metal sound.[143]

Sounding The Seventh Trumpet is categorized as Metalcore and Skate Punk.

Waking The Fallen is categorized as Heavy Metal and Metalcore

City Of Evil is categorized as Heavy metal, progressive metal, hard rock, thrash metal, and power metal

Avenged Sevenfold (album) is categorized as Heavy Metal

Nightmare is categorized as Heavy Metal

Hail To The King is categorized as Heavy Metal

The Stage is categorized as Progressive Metal and Heavy Metal

Life Is But A Dream is categorized as Avant-Garde metal and Progressive Metal

Wikipedia says they've released multiple "clearly metal" albums

This isn't Wikipedia.

lordsexch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:04 am 

great post

Kalimata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:02 pm 

Opus wrote:
Is death "metal" really metal? Shouldn't it be considered a form of punk/hardcore with all that screaming and fast, noisy drumming?
Black Sabbath never sounded anything like that, neither did Deep Purple!!

Is metal really metal?

Faskunjis_mxedari
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:57 am 

Just a stupid question, only reason i am asking it here is that i could not find any better place. Are there any metal bands that use polyphonic music be it while singing or with instruments. (for those who don't know the meaning of the word polyphony it means , in music, the simultaneous combination of two or more tones or melodic lines (the term derives from the Greek word for “many sounds”)). And for reference i would like if you listened to Georgian polyphonic folk music. Something that is similar to than kind of sounds, idk how to explain it but i hope you understand the question. Thanks for help in advance.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:29 pm 

Faskunjis_mxedari wrote:
Are there any metal bands that use polyphonic music be it while singing or with instruments.

All of them? Savatage did it a lot.

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:03 am 

Faskunjis_mxedari wrote:
Just a stupid question, only reason i am asking it here is that i could not find any better place. Are there any metal bands that use polyphonic music be it while singing or with instruments. (for those who don't know the meaning of the word polyphony it means , in music, the simultaneous combination of two or more tones or melodic lines (the term derives from the Greek word for “many sounds”)). And for reference i would like if you listened to Georgian polyphonic folk music. Something that is similar to than kind of sounds, idk how to explain it but i hope you understand the question. Thanks for help in advance.

All modern western music is polyphonic. Metal is no exception.

OverMario
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:52 pm 

Faskunjis_mxedari wrote:

Are you Georgian? I love folk music and polyphonic chants from the Caucasus. I really wish that, in the future, I'll hear metal bands incorporating this in their music.

That being said, I haven't listened to all their stuff too, but maybe you'll like the Sardinian black metal band KRE^U: https://krehu.bandcamp.com/album/kre-u

Sardinia has a rich tradition of polyphonic chants, and also a specific one involving throat singing called Cantu a Tenore. And this band is incorporating folk elements from Sardinian music into their black metal.

ColdJustice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:25 pm 

Is progressive black metal real? Sounds pretty impossible to me personally.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:32 pm 

ColdJustice wrote:

https://www.metal-archives.com/search?s ... band_genre

You have like 600 bands that play progressive black metal in the Archives, have fun.

Kalimata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:03 pm 

ColdJustice wrote:

Good for you.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 am 

You can argue that Transilvanian Hunger is progressive black metal because its basically kraut rock black metal and its a foundational album of the genre as we know it. So why it would seem impossible is beyond me.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49