Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Definitely Proportionate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
White metal.

A less-used term for metal with Christian themes.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:52 am 

I have mostly seen “white metal” used as a pejorative term (for a variety of reasons) and/or by people outside of the metal scene. The only defining characteristic seems to be Christian-themed lyrics. I know several Christian metal musicians, but I do not recall any of them using the term “white metal” in a serious manner. “Unblack” metal is used more often, but it is a much more defined term than “white metal”, being black metal with Christian lyrical themes. However, even within the Christian scene there is some controversy regarding the use of “unblack”, which was spawned from the satirical title of Horde’s Hellig Usvart.
Aethereal Shrine (Black/Funeral Doom Metal)
Álfablót (Black/Folk Metal)
Sentinel Mysterium (Black Metal)

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 pm 

This isn't so much asking if a genre exists, but moreso wondering why it hasn't been all that explored.

So, when Katatonia wrote their Brave Murder Day album, they were listening to a ton of shoegaze (namely Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine) at the time, which is reflected in the guitar tone, riffing style, and noisy, dreamy vibe of that album. That led me to an interesting thought; so, it's nothing new for a band to combine black metal and shoegaze, or doom metal and shoegaze... but is there a hybrid between death metal and shoegaze out there? BMD, to me, is a pretty clear mix of death/doom and shoegaze elements, but has there ever been just a straight up blend of death metal and shoegaze?

Probably the closest thing I can think of, which is still pretty far off, would be Hybernoid's The Last Day Begins? album.

Youtube: show

It's just funny to me that styles like depressive black metal and black metal/shoegaze have never really been tried out with death metal. Quite frankly, I'd be interested in hearing such a thing pulled off.

Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:00 am 

I feel that Valborg and more strongly the related band Island to some extend have explored combining both.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:15 am 

In Finland we have this thing called "asennemetalli" ("attitude metal"). Has anyone outside Finland ever come across this term? It is used to describe bands whose sound leans towards post-thrash, metalcore and crossover.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27