Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 pm 

The new Ghost EP is now available for streaming. And I must say there are some pretty damn good covers on this one. 'Waiting for the Night' is one of my favourite songs by Depeche Mode and I love the original version of 'If You Have Ghosts' By Roky Erickson. They certainly achieved to put their own spin on these tracks, and as a guy who loves the two originals, I must say that they are pretty damn good. As for the other two, I am not too familiar with the originals, but rememberin hearing them on the radio as a kid. The Crucify song really outdoes the original I must say.

Anyway here is the streaming link:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/11/stream-ghost-b-c-s-dave-grohl-produced-ep-if-you-have-ghost/

Ch-ch-check it out!

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:22 am 

I have the Abba cover already from my version of Infit... however you spell it. I'll probably pick this up if I see it cheap.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:31 am 

I guess I'll check it out but I have little hope for the future of this band. Their last album was lame and that ABBA cover sucks.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:20 am 

I really enjoyed their last album. I did think tracks 7 - 9 were weaker than the rest, but it culminated with the epic 'Monstrance Clock' which is fantastic. The addition of choirs really suited the new material. I'm hoping for more of that on the next album.
Regarding the new EP, I'd rather have of all new material, instead of covers.

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:09 am 

I think this EP is very solid. If You Have Ghosts is an incredible track and probably my favourite they've ever put out. The other tracks are great too. Will certainly gather more spins from me than their last album does (which is okay but I'm not wowed by).

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:11 am 

Listened to it, feels like I got slyly fucked in the ass by The Killers and Apoptygma Berzerk.

AgentSteel_Razor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:24 am 

Sounds demented and awful! And no metal covers, either!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:13 am 

And? So what if there's no metal covers. Their first album had Here Comes the Sun, did it not? As long as they can take the original songs and morph them into their own image and do it well (which they have done), I'm fine with it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:46 am 

Metal covers? why? Then it would have to be some 70's stuff, because this band needs the melodic hooks and catchy chorus. And no modern metal band would ever sound good as a Ghost song. I think doing non metal stuff is the best choice. And btw the Beatles cover was also great, I actually thought it was better than the original! But I always hated the original...

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:09 am 

Cool Roky cover, but in no way are any of these anything but a vague curiosity.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Reply to topic