Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GodOfDeathMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:22 pm 

What band logos are your favorite? or are just visually appealing to you?
I'm going to post a couple of my favorites to start it off

Spoiler: show

Gorblethorp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:45 pm 

I'm a sucker for these kinds of threads despite their multitude, but they're only good if you explain WHY you like each logo.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:25 pm 

I actually prefer the original Death logo- with more embellishments (reaper's head, scythe, blood, coffin, etc.) as it looked more intense.

I am no graphic designer (although I know several) but one thing they tell me, which I agree with is, a logo should be distinctive and eye-catching, it should convey, in the best way it can, what the band is like, and (for a band) should be somewhat readable- so someone unfamiliar with the band will at least know what band is represented.

The Dying Fetus and Angel Corpse logos above are eye-catching, but hard to read- yeah there are obviously much worse out there in that respect, but you have to squint to be able to desciper them. Some may like that aspect- because it gives the bands a certain mystique, but for some of the more egregious offenders out there- you may stare at them for hours and see nothing but a blob or a pile of sticks and there comes a point where its counterproductive.

I think the unleashed logo shown above, as well as the Darkthrone logo (not shown) are good compromise- graphically and visually striking with plenty of graphic embellishments but not to the point where they overwhelm the logo, they are eye cactching and unique, as well as readable to someone not familiar with the band.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:29 am 

ive never been a fan of the unreadable chicken scratches. I do really like Death's though, however it bugs me when people dont know its a band. "You just wear a shirt that says 'death' on it?"

exmortus has a really badass one too http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 1745589692

Slayer's is really badass when its the one with the german eagle. otherwise ive never really payed too into logos. just as long as its readable and isnt so over the top that its embarrassing to wear on a shirt, im cool with anything.

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:29 am 

The Mayhem, old school Death with the inverted cross/cobwebs and the Darkthrone logos are tops for me. You just look at those and know what you're getting yourself into. The logo that Revenge has is also very cool.

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:46 am 

Leviathan

Xasthur

Taake

Many others, but these stand out and weren't mentioned yet. The runic Taake one is just so unique and reminds me how dedicated they are to their music. The Xasthur one just looks like despair and matches the repetitive, fuzzy sounding music. Leviathan's gives me a old horror theme which seems to perfectly match his older sound (Tentacles of Whorror).

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:53 am 

Before this thread starts taking off, can I take a moment to ask of anyone wanting to post their examples to follow TheDarkHarvest's example and say what the band's name is under the logo if it's really difficult to read? If it's something simple then that's fine, but if you think someone is going to have to ask you what band it is, then post their name under the logo please.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:06 am 

I quite like Ghost's take on the Cross of St Peter given their theatrical Catholic thing.

GodOfDeathMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:02 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
The Dying Fetus and Angel Corpse logos above are eye-catching, but hard to read-

Really? I can read them just fine. Maybe it's just me.

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 am 

Behexen - There's something about the B and N that really makes my skin crawl when teamed with all the imagery.

Funeral Circle - When I have the time I like to sit down and do nothing but listen to an album while I leaf through the booklet. It gives me time to read through the lyrics and read anything else that was printed, but I also love to really focus on an intricate logo. This one is so fitting to focus on when listening to their EP.

Also, co-signed on that Ghost logo.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:58 pm 

Most of the logos I like are either real simple and linear (though not geometrical or completely Iron-Maidenesque) or constructed within a bigger drawing, just like that AWESOME Funeral Circle one.

This one is beautifully constructed. The balance between the straight and polished lines and the creepy hand drawed skull is awesome.

...Talk about creepy, well crafted logos with occult symbolisms.

This one looks like a bunch of branches put togheter on the ground, but its awesome nonetheless

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

asmfc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:31 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/7/3/373_logo.jpg This logo just awesome really goes well with the music for me at least

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:01 pm 

I live in an area ripe with designers and by far the shirt I wear that I've gotten the most positive comments on is my Winterfylleth shirt.

Beautiful logo in my opinion. Legible enough, with perfect imagery for the band's sound and themes.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:57 pm 

hots_towel wrote:
I do really like Death's though, however it bugs me when people dont know its a band. "You just wear a shirt that says 'death' on it?"

Do people actually say that? I would think that people would assume that it is a band. Even if it wasn't a band, the logo is still cool enough to wear around.

LeonardoS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:15 pm 

I like the death metal logos better, but not too messed up.
Early CC is very cool. Autopsy as well. Asphyx is the very best.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:39 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I actually prefer the original Death logo- with more embellishments (reaper's head, scythe, blood, coffin, etc.) as it looked more intense.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

NoGodsNoManagers
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:59 pm 

Could babble on about logos for ages, these were the first few that came to mind!

Mysticum

Revenge

Belzebooh!

Merciless

Forgotten Woods

Wormrot

Goatvulva

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:20 pm 

I hope this thread doesn't get infested with unrecognizable band logos. But I'm afraid that's going to be impossible. Anyway, here's some mine:

I just love this one! It looks very elegant, like, it might not be from a metal band but from a insurance company or something similar. Except for the bat, of course, that's just 100% metal.

This is an amazing logo, it just seems so simple but at the same time has some great subtle details, like the whole thing resembles a church or something similar, with the 'A''s being windows, the 'T' being like the cross in the middle.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:01 am 

For me it's gotta be these:

Straight to the point, you know what you're about to listen to, no easy listening bullshit.

Such a killer, free flowing logo, you know straight away what genre they are.

Straight up 80's thrash logo, I honestly wish that this was a horizontal spinning gif logo on here.

Orkblut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:14 am 

Falkenbach has one of my all time favourite logos & the Old/Mid era Enslaved logo.

Agga40
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:23 am 

Ive always loved that Unleashed logo. It has the look I like. Symmetry is good for logos if you ask me.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:17 am 

Jackoroth wrote:

Such a killer, free flowing logo, you know straight away what genre they are.

I have always hated this logo. It's such a fucking spindly mess, no real symmetry, or striking concept - straight up snoozeville, nothing dangerous/brutal about it whatsoever. To me it reeks of "meh, it'll do yeah?"

I will contribute, and for the record, I do ADORE unreadable logos (slam/BDM is not included), provided they are done well, and suit the band... I also like the sharp, jagged, ugly, over the top logos, dripping with blasphemous iconography, and esoteric sigils of demons unknown and all everything that lends itself to show point blank what you're getting into. Examples;

Weregoat. Yep, they're called Weregoat, and with a name/logo like that it shouldn't be hard to connect the dots as to what they play.

Teitanblood. Just fucking perfect as far as their style is concerned, blunt and ugly.

Antaeus. Unreadable, but perfect because of it.

Necros Christos. I prefer the first (top) one to their new logo immeasurably. It's just so much better at making an impact.

Consummation. Fantastic. The symmetry in the first and last letter works really well, as does the rest of the imagery surrounding it.

Cruciamentum. No fucking around here with this one. Ugly for a reason.

Genocide Shrines. Oozes menace, sums up the sound very well.

Grotesque. Perfect. The way the two crosses are woven into this is awesome.

Hoath. Not sure what they use here, but it lends to the obscure, occult nuance the album exudes.

Ifing. New favourite of mine playing epic, pagan black metal that is glorious in it's delivery. Logo is understated, but powerful I feel.

Excellent symmetry while still retaining something of a brutal presence about it.

If this logo had a smell, it would be... old - and have a musty damp aroma, like something left near the tide line for an age...

Kerasphorus. Looks sharp and uninviting, like a wasp nest.

Lantern. For a death metal band, you couldn't ask for much better.

Lurker Of Chalice. Another perfect logo made almost unintelligible.

Cadaveric Fumes. Do they play death metal? What do you think?!

And hundreds more...

My collection

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:26 am 

Some cool ones/intriguing bands there. Thanks!

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:04 am 

Nice call on that Lantern logo. Excellent band, too, for those that like their death metal blackened to a dirty Finnish crisp.

Reply to topic