Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:28 am 

New song and album details from the post-bm band.

http://patriciathomasmanagement.com/201 ... ing-album/

The song is fucking great!! and the limited edition box is nice too, fuck november is going to destroy my savings with Fen, Kauan, Ghost Brigade and Ulver. :D :D

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:40 am 

Yet another band I had forgot about / left behind. Thanks for the heads up Paganbasque, this new track foes indeed sound really good, seems to be more aggressive and heavier than I remember them. It is now also on my radar :)

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:45 am 

STORMM wrote:
Yet another band I had forgot about / left behind. Thanks for the heads up Paganbasque, this new track foes indeed sound really good, seems to be more aggressive and heavier than I remember them. It is now also on my radar :)

I´m glad that you like it, Stormm!. Yeah, its a little bit faster and more "blackish" than the previous works. But I truly loved Dustwalker with those great post-bm melodies and great compositions. Perhaps this could satisfy the ones who miss the more bm approach of the debut.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:48 am 

The debut was the last album of theirs I bought as I remember not quite liking what I heard of Epoch. Is Dustwalker worth checking out then, your description has me intrigued!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:54 am 

STORMM wrote:
The debut was the last album of theirs I bought as I remember not quite liking what I heard of Epoch. Is Dustwalker worth checking out then, your description has me intrigued!

The music(as always) can describe in a much better way than my poor English what I am trying to say: :D

Two examples, a more straightforward song(Consequence) and a more complex/long/post-bm/prog influenced( Hands of dust, actually my favourite one):

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:39 pm 

Sounds excellent. Only discovered this band a few months back too. Will checkout.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:43 am 

Thanks for the effort Paganbasque, those two tracks are good and very different. I will also be checking this album out now though I must say the new track you posted is even better again!

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:55 am 

More Fen is always a great thing! New song is cool
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:11 am 

The new song sounds really good, maybe the best thing I've heard from these guys so far. The production is perfect too. It seems like each album they improve a little bit over the previous one.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:48 am 

Evoken wrote:
The new song sounds really good, maybe the best thing I've heard from these guys so far. The production is perfect too. It seems like each album they improve a little bit over the previous one.

I like all of their albums, though I think that the second one has not the best production.

I have checked the box edition and the box itself looks great, but it costs 40 €, which is not cheap at all. :(

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:03 am 

'ken oath man. This is great.

I don't listen to Fen as much as I used to, I still blast "Bereft" whenever I get the chance though. Definitely looking forward to this now that I am aware of it though.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:34 pm 

Great news! Been spinning The Malediction Fields a lot lately. And with Winterfylleth's massive new release we are really being spoiled towards the end of the year.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:37 pm 

Always thought of this band as yet another Agalloch clone, but I've never heard Dustwalker. Is it much different than their debut?

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:20 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Always thought of this band as yet another Agalloch clone, but I've never heard Dustwalker. Is it much different than their debut?

I dont consider them a clone, Fen is much more rooted on black metal than Agalloch is, but the evolution is quite similar. In both cases these bands released their most "true" albums and then they released sophomore albums which were much more oriented to post rock and perhaps with a non perfect production(The Mantle/Epoch), reaching a better balance with their third attempt.

So Dustwalker is definitely a different album if you compare it with the debut, more oriented to post/progressive sounds but more influenced by atmospheric and bm sounds than the sophomore album. Its a really interesting and I only miss the keys of the first two albums.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:54 am 

I received the woodenbox edition last Thursday. I have just listened to the album and I am pretty impressed. Its the most bm oriented album since the debut, but with some progressive and post-rock influenced sections. The album has 6 long songs and lots of interesting parts, it requires several listenings.

Perhaps I miss songs like Hands of dust from the previous album but its really interesting to see how the band is developing. 4 great albums in only 5 years, not bad at all. :bow:

I have to check the bonus cd out, it has 3 long songs, specially the first one with more than 18 minutes, thats truly epic! :D

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:07 am 

New album is awesome. Two great nature inspired black metal albums in such a short time by Falls of Rauros and Fen has really made this month great for me. I love the last song the most

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:24 am 

ColeMiner wrote:
New album is awesome. Two great nature inspired black metal albums in such a short time by Falls of Rauros and Fen has really made this month great for me. I love the last song the most

Not a fan(yet) of FOR´s new album but Fen has done it again. Now its time to listen to the bonus cd. :headbang:

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:33 am 

Really hoping to get the wooden box version of this in the new year when I have some spare funds if it is still available then!

All the other Fen albums have been outstanding!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:01 am 

syx wrote:
Really hoping to get the wooden box version of this in the new year when I have some spare funds if it is still available then!

All the other Fen albums have been outstanding!

I received it last week and it was the number 83 out of 300, I hope you are luckly enough to buy it next year. :)

Its a really nice box though the jewel case of the cd sucks balls.

Reply to topic