Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:50 am 

SanPeron wrote:
Crossover_Kid wrote:
SanPeron wrote:

Any defense to the guys of Blood Incantation? Weird to copy the art of an obscure death metal album.

Not really a fan of BI but I heard Agony never got permission from Bruce Pennington to use that artwork, Where BI did.

It was weird to have the exact same album cover, but if it is true, good for the guys of Blood Incantation, that alien is an awesome album art to be fair.

Agony also altered the Bruce Pennington painting whereas Blood Incantation used the original. Alec Empire also used the exact same artwork on his album Hypermodern Jazz 2000.5 but he also didn't get permission from Pennington.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:01 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
SanPeron wrote:
Crossover_Kid wrote:
Not really a fan of BI but I heard Agony never got permission from Bruce Pennington to use that artwork, Where BI did.

It was weird to have the exact same album cover, but if it is true, good for the guys of Blood Incantation, that alien is an awesome album art to be fair.

Agony also altered the Bruce Pennington painting whereas Blood Incantation used the original. Alec Empire also used the exact same artwork on his album Hypermodern Jazz 2000.5 but he also didn't get permission from Pennington.

That's like three different artists who use the same artwork lol. Is pretty cool, love the little alien guy, and I get the appeal of the artwork, It will sell lots of t-shirts.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:48 pm 

Do you think COB accidently sounded like Brittany Spears??

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:29 am 

So Kai Hansen is one of my music idols. He is also known for being liberal with his Judas Priest tributes (since the beginning of his career too!). Or some Sabbath. Or indeed himself. Especially since Powerplant onwards, getting progressively worse with each release.

For the past many GR releases I was basically looking for those 1-2 songs per album that will fill that Kai void within me. In the last album it was Avalon, loved that song. Which is what made it quite disappointing, when I realized the chorus is basically SABATON's Primo Victoria, slowed down. Damn it Kai!

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:47 am 

Pain's song "Party In My Head" sounds like Neil Young's "Keep On Rockin' in a Free World" during verses.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:46 pm 

There's definitely a Dimmu Borgir song that uses this section but I don't remember which (or the other way around)? I figure Astennu may have taken it with him when he joined.

EDIT: found it, it's Blessings Upon the Throne of Tyranny, a song that was released after Astennu left
Spoiler: show

enjoyer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:11 am 

The intro in this Japanese melodeath song is inspired by...
Morbid Angel?

magate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:54 am 

I came across the Norwegian band Malum: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Malum/3540521714
It sounds familiar - something like a homage band paying tribute to their idols; but then, some of the songs are really, well, similar. Check Malum's In Agony II with Mgla's Exercises in futility IV, it sounds more than inspired or a homage to the masters, it sounds like nearly the same intro, riffs, and vocal lines. Am I wrong?

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:27 pm 

Lost Horizon plays the same part in two consecutive songs:

3:10 in Heart of Storm
4:15 in Sworn in the Metal Wind

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:25 am 

is the intro to the fifth track on tetragrammacide's new album from stargate sg-1 or does it just really remind me of it?

lrrlh_larlwm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:11 am 

So nobody's gonna talk about that one Avenged Sevenfold album?

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:46 pm 

The vocals on Evile's cover of Zombie Apocalype really remind me of late 90s Phil Anslemo

VictimOfScience
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:43 pm 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Lost Horizon plays the same part in two consecutive songs:

3:10 in Heart of Storm
4:15 in Sworn in the Metal Wind

Good one. I didn't notice that.

When I first heard Deicide's debut, it bothered the hell out of me that the drums reminded me of something. Couldn't explain what at first, but I knew that I've heard something similar or that it's ingrained in my mind in some way. Then about 15 minutes later, it clicked, and it reminded me of the drums on Tortured Existence, Demolition Hammer's debut. Sure enough, after research, it looks like both albums were recorded in the same studio, in the same year. Morrisound Studios, Tampa, Florida in 1990.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:02 pm 

Ivan Drago wrote:
The vocals on Evile's cover of Zombie Apocalype really remind me of late 90s Phil Anslemo

Cool song, but that guy doesn't sound like Anselmo at all. However, I love this style of thrash/death never heard a thrash band cover Mortician.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:12 am 

Very similar mix, voice and key! :eek:

Scanner 1988:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOMNzPyG-tc&t=43s

Ram 2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULJCztjn4Is&t=36s

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:55 pm 

Belphegor - Chants for the Devil 1533 (2006)

Belphegor - Festum Asinorum (2005)

Really guys?

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:54 pm 

This is an older thread, and I haven't read through all of the posts yet, just in case this has been mentioned before,
but I immediately thought of the album artwork that was used for Demolition Hammer's Epidemic of Violence (1992) and The Mist's Phantasmagoria (1989)
Its the same damn artwork, except with Demolition Hammer, the picture is cropped off some, this has bothered me since high school; Especially since both of these albums are absolutely awesome in their own right.
https://www.metal-archives.com/images/3 ... 1.jpg?0956
https://www.metal-archives.com/images/6 ... 6.jpg?2806

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:42 pm 

Since I'm already here I'm going to go ahead and mention another one off the top of my head.
Lets talk about how Vindictiv- Cage of Infinity (2013) & Raven Lord- Descent to the Underworld (2013) are the same damn album!
Yeah this one bugged me for years too!
I bought Cage of Infinity when that album was released because I was more than stoked to hear that Marco Sandron (Pathosray, Fairyland) on vocals. What an amazing album, an album of the year contender for me, for sure.
OK, so fast forward a few months for me I stumble upon this band Raven Lord on another music forum back then. Preview one song, and because Cage of Infinity was already burned into my brain I nearly fell over backwards when the song I heard was one off of that record, note for note, solo, for solo, just a different singer and different lyrics. Flabbergasted, I decided to preview the Raven Lord cd when time permitted. As song after song played it was apparent to me this was a problem, as every song on the album was a Vindictiv song with different lyrics.
Now, mind you, I was unaware of this Raven Lord album's existence until around the holidays 2013, so I certainly was unaware it was released 3 months prior to Vinidictiv's album; But I absolutely hated it based on principle, and other than thinking to myself what a bunch of wankers this Raven Lord band is. Other than whenever I listened to Vindictiv, I didnt pay them much mind.
Well, that continued to fuck with me for years, and I found a $6 copy of Raven Lord, and bit the bullet hoping to shed some light to this absolute shituation that absolutely nobody but myself would even care about. Well to my absolute shock all keyboards, guitars, and drums were recorded by nobody other than the 3 gentlemen in Vindictiv. Even more confusing is that an inch above that in the linear notes it lists a full band of members, and says all music composed by Raven Lord. :durr:
Boy was that all cleared up! :wanker:
This whole story, I will never understand.
Anyway, there may be a few discrepancies in my comparison, but I invite you all to see for yourself sometime, for fun, its actually quite funny.
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/V ... ity/370249
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/R ... rld/365940

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:19 am 

darthlazy wrote:
This is an older thread, and I haven't read through all of the posts yet, just in case this has been mentioned before,
but I immediately thought of the album artwork that was used for Demolition Hammer's Epidemic of Violence (1992) and The Mist's Phantasmagoria (1989)
Its the same damn artwork, except with Demolition Hammer, the picture is cropped off some, this has bothered me since high school; Especially since both of these albums are absolutely awesome in their own right.
https://www.metal-archives.com/images/3 ... 1.jpg?0956
https://www.metal-archives.com/images/6 ... 6.jpg?2806

I don't have the actual album from The Mist handy, but according to MA it looks like their album miscredits the artwork as belonging to Kelson Frost or Jim Lee, where the original piece seems to be made by Michael Whelan (who WAS credited on the Demolition Hammer album)

wEEman33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:41 pm 

Dismember's "Dreaming in Red" intro shows up 24 years later in some shitty Arch Enemy song that has 99 million views:

If I was a Dismember member I'd definitely take legal action since there's no way a dude (Michael Amott) who was your former bandmate (in Carnage) could claim he's never heard the original song.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:53 pm 

It really sounds more like a homage than anything else.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:15 am 

I saw a "new" band added on the archives, Valley of the Sluts. they're all female and they play doom, so i got excited.

then i clicked on their first single,

and it starts exactly like Tiamat's raining dead angels

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:46 pm 

I forget which one, but there’s a dimmu borgir tune that clearly borrows passages from Enya’s Sail Away. I hope she got some royalties or writing credits for that as it was blatant.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:10 pm 

This was just recommended to me on Spotifys Discovery Weekly playlist and fuck me if this isn’t a note for note cover of Pantera Fuckin Hostile. They should sue! Or at least get a writing credit!

https://open.spotify.com/track/6NAXXJJ8 ... p6rM6_QuwA

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21