Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
chrislyles15
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:18 pm 

PriestofSadWings wrote:
Grunge singers, but that's a little outside the realm of metal, so I'm going to say Rob Zombie. His singing isn't rapping, but it comes very close, and it has the same "AAWWW YEYAH" attitude that turns me off to 90% of rap.

I always hated Rob Zombie so bad. It sounds as if he's talking through his nose half the time! Also, I hate really low death growls where you can't understand what there saying. I like the music in bands like Suffocation and Cannibal Corpse, just not the vocals.

SiameseDream
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:32 pm 

Chris Barnes (Six Feet Under-era)
Gene Adam (Iced Earth's debut)
Rod Tyler (Symphony X's debut)
Jonny David (or whatever his name is from Job For A Cowboy)
Matt Heafy (I can stand his clean vocals on Ascendancy, and some of his screaming but I really do not like his Hetfield vocals)
The "singer"/wigger/faggot from Waking The Cadaver
Lord Worm (Cryptopsy)
Jacob Bannon (Converge) can get quite irritating

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:34 pm 

PriestofSadWings wrote:
ENKC wrote:
Any absurdly high pitched power metal Hansi Kursch wannabe. Seriously guys, if you don't have testicles you just shouldn't be doing metal.

Tell that to Jo Bench. :p

On the topics of ballsless wailing and Geoff Tate, though, people who try to be in the James LaBrie/Geoff Tate school of vocals and fail irritate me.

Exactly! Geoff Tate could have taught Halford a thing or two in the early days. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with high pitched clean vocals, it's just that you have to do them RIGHT.

*Note: I'm saying Geoff Tate is awesome, not that Halford sucks. Well, he does suck, but not at singing. ;) I'm a massive fan of both.*
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

AnusFresh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:08 pm 

I like Agnostic Front but the vocals on One Voice gets real old after awhile.

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:17 pm 

chrislyles15 wrote:
PriestofSadWings wrote:
Grunge singers, but that's a little outside the realm of metal, so I'm going to say Rob Zombie. His singing isn't rapping, but it comes very close, and it has the same "AAWWW YEYAH" attitude that turns me off to 90% of rap.

I always hated Rob Zombie so bad. It sounds as if he's talking through his nose half the time! Also, I hate really low death growls where you can't understand what there saying. I like the music in bands like Suffocation and Cannibal Corpse, just not the vocals.

Really? I like Rob Zombie's vocals. Quite entertaining :)

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:17 pm 

[quote="Woolie_Wool"]
Abbath: The human Dalek. EXTERMINATE ALL CHRISTIANS. EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE.

:lol: Oh man, I like Abbath quite a bit, especially on "Diabolical FUll-moon Mysticism" (wowww...ooowoowowwwww!"..but that was brilliant.

Ah, when Ihsahn of EMperor tries to sing clean, I cringe a great deal .. especially when he goes for a King Diamond immitation (and I enjoy King Diamond's singing, at least with Fate).
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:20 pm 

Ihsahn claims that he really wants to sound like Rob Halford, but he doesn't have the voice or the range or the balls or whatever to pull it off, so he ends up sounding like King Diamond instead.

ENKC wrote:
Well, he [Halford] does suck, but not at singing.

Those jokes are not funny anymore. They may not have even been funny when he first came out.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:24 pm 

Plus it can safely be said, evidence from the Painkiller music video during the solo, Rob Halford gives dick rather than taking it.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:28 am 

thrashfan07 wrote:

Dear God. I can't believe there is a market for this. There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to listen to this if they have listened to death metal, brutal death metal or thrash already.

It sounds like a metalcore band trying to be even more brutal and it is even worse than regular metalcore.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

RelentlessEwok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:32 am 

w0Lf wrote:
King Diamond.

Fuck you.

King Diamond > You

TheDorkCheese
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:47 am 

Varg Vikernes's vocals on certain songs are some of the most annoying vocals I have ever heard. On Black Spell of Destruction, he's alright, but the vocals on War keep me from even listening to that song (not that the song itself is any good either).

I'm really not fond of Chris Barnes's vocals on Tomb of the Mutilated.

The little I've heard of Tom Warrior's Cold Lake vocals are pretty fucking bad, though that's pretty obvious. How could he go from Triumph of Death or Buried and Forgotten to Cherry Orchards? Not that you can really expect much from a hair metal album, but still...

Maniac during his second time around with Mayhem is pretty annoying.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:53 am 

Dude from Waking the Cadaver. WORST extreme vocals ever. Those vocals are the main reason I gave their demo a 1% rating.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:54 am 

Joey Belladonna is far too much of a nasally fuck to sing for a thrash metal band.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:36 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Joey Belladonna is far too much of a nasally fuck to sing for a thrash metal band.

I like his vocals a lot. The nasally, high-pitched stuff works well with a band that straddles the thrash/speed line, like Anthax.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:25 am 

Anthony Gunnells, formerly of Through the Eyes of the Dead. Some of the weakest low growls and easily the most annoying high screams I've ever heard in my life. The fact that he is not involved with any other projects right now is proof that there is in fact a God.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:51 am 

Tvangeste's vocalist (at least, on 'Firestorm'). He is so... Bad.
Tarja (of course.)
Laiho. Again, this is fairly self-explanatory. Especially on 'Blooddrunk'.
Gossow (I just find her annoying.)
I'm not particularly fond of the demon frog that did Demilich's vocals either, though I like the band.

lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:29 am 

James LaBrie

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:33 am 

Laiho and Mustaine (only on a few songs though)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:48 am 

Chuck Billy - at times he's very annoying. Most of his thrash vocals are okay, but too many patterns that go; "Higgity higgity hooooo!" and his death metal vocals are just lame.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:00 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Chuck Billy - his death metal vocals are just lame.

I don't think they're that bad, I just wonder why he does them. He seems to forget that he's in Testament, not fucking Deicide.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Innovacious_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:38 am 

Anders Fridén, he wasnt that bad back when he did skydancer with dark tranquillity but then when he joined in flames he slowly got worse over the years :|

iPodMonkey
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:45 am 

Miley Cyrus.

End of discussion.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:00 am 

foz45139 wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Chuck Billy - his death metal vocals are just lame.

I don't think they're that bad, I just wonder why he does them. He seems to forget that he's in Testament, not fucking Deicide.

I think his vocals on the Gathering are excellent, but yeah, his fully fledged death metal vocals on Demonic are pretty poor.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:01 am 

iPodMonkey wrote:
Miley Cyrus.

End of discussion.

Well if we extend it out of metal we open up a whole 'nother can of bullshit pop.

iPodMonkey
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:04 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
iPodMonkey wrote:
Miley Cyrus.

End of discussion.

Well if we extend it out of metal we open up a whole 'nother can of bullshit pop.

lol i agree.

However staying inside the lines of Metal, one singer I can't really stand would be the lead singer of Moonsorrow. I liked a few of their songs but now his voice is just kind of annoying.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:53 am 

The Candlemass vocalist Messiah Marcolin annoys the Hell out of me and I can't even explain why. I mean really, REALLY annoys me. I think its a combination of the facial expressions and mannerisms more than just his singing alone. Tell me, does anyone else find this offputting: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8th_3AoTm_E ?

Robert Lowe's not quite so bad, but he doesn't thrill me either.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:47 am 

Messiah Marcolin and "Black Dwarf" are both better than you. ;)

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:53 am 

Innovacious_ wrote:
Anders Fridén, he wasnt that bad back when he did skydancer with dark tranquillity but then when he joined in flames he slowly got worse over the years :|

Nah he was still pretty goddamn awful even in his DT days. His vocals ruin Skydancer and the demos for me, although I think he became slightly more tolerable on early In Flames albums.

MrSkizzot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:56 am 

most metalcore singers iv heard sound pretty fucking horrible.

Imret
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:22 am 

This is a bit more obscure, but the band Goatthrower (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=23789) has the WORST vocals I have ever heard in metal. I'm 99% sure this is a joke band, but the vocals literally sound like a chorus of gnomes and munchkins trying to do black metal screams (I swear the they sped up the vocal tracks), and EVERY line is delivered in the same pattern repeated ad nauseum: "blah-blah-blah BLAAAAH, blah-blah-blah BLAAAAH!." I -do- enjoy recommending this band to others for the "WTF is that?" factor though =)

Also, wanna be Burzum clones often have horrible, horrible vocals. Very few bands can pull this style off properly, most warble and crack their voices like shrieking pre-pubescent boys.

-WhiskeyRebel

Last edited by Imret on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:23 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Messiah Marcolin and "Black Dwarf" are both better than you. ;)

Second. Messiah for the fucking win.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:50 pm 

Most depressive black metal vocals does that to me, Silencer, Hypothermia and Lifelover being the worst of the worst. Though, as i have already made at least one long rant somewhere that displays my hatred for most of this genre, i'm going to spare this forum another one.

Overly cheesy power metal vocals also take the cake. Sonata Arctica's vocalist has to be one of the gayest sounding men on Earth, followed by the guy from Stratovarius. I like my fair share of power metal, but this kind of music sounds way too gay for me to like.

Also, the weaker growl done by a lot of melodeath singers annoys me like hell. Especially that extremely gay type that reeks of metalcore (In Flames, Sonic Syndicate........ list goes on forever).

Also, concerning Messiah from Candlemass, I think he is a very good vocalist, except for one song that went extremely wrong somehow, namely "Black Dwarf". The first time I heard this song, I had to check and recheck so that I had bought an actual Candlemass release and not some other gay shit... Damn, the vocals on that song are horrible.....

The rest of Cadlemass' self titled album is awesome though.:headbang:
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Slats
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:21 pm 

Whoever the fuck does The Dillinger Escape Plan's vocals doesn't even fucking sing or scream or whatever, he just yells.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:29 pm 

While they don't make me cringe, Kurt von Ehlerson's (from Pagan Hammer) nearly inaudible whispery screams really annoy me.

Thrasher616
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:31 pm 

Alexi Laihos vocals on bloodrunk make me want to shove his guitar down his throat

b0rnt0k1ll
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:56 pm 

Although I really like Megadeth Dave Mustaine's voice goes right through me, especially on A Tout Le Monde (or however you spell it) it shows that he can't sing a fuck, bad song too.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:15 pm 

Chris Barnes post-Haunted, King Diamond, Ken Bones from Negative Reaction.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:40 pm 

Everyone NEEDS to listen to this band, and then laugh at how fucking terrible the vocals are.

http://www.myspace.com/northernshadowsofficial

His death growls are inhaled and his black metal vocals are like a cross between Donald Duck and Golum with a sore throat. I've seen them live, and it's fucking laughable. Shameful they are from Winnipeg.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:48 pm 

He sounds like Shagrath to me. The melodic stuff that the guitarist does is pretty good.

They're definitely power metal, and should get an appropriate vocalist.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:54 pm 

IWrestledABearOnce

Makes me sick thinking some people set the bar so low.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next