Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:28 pm 

I'm a bit nervous of course, with the new producer! This is the same guy who gave "To Hell with God" such fake, hollow, unlistenable production!! I read his credentials and it looks like he's more popular with the modern death metal scene with bands like Whitechapel/Carnifex, that kind of thing, with not very many old school death metal bands getting records produced through him (Resurrection and Deicide are the only others I saw)...on one hand, I expect the Cannibal guys to "know what they want" as far as tones and mixing are concerned, but I'm wondering if we won't end up with an album with really plastic production like what he did to "To Hell with God"?? I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:48 pm 

I liked the production on To Hell with God. I'm okay with this.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:47 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Why not? I'm just super curious what a death metal album, (by any band, mind you. Cannibal Corpse just happens to be the current flavor of this thread.) would sound like! Also, "tradition" is the death of all future things, but I understand if you wouldn't want that specifically for Cannibal Corpse, speaking on their legacy.

This stuff comes to mind when I think of death metal with black metal production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUKhBzSCAQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O7eM1opD8g

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:48 am 

true_death wrote:
I'm a bit nervous of course, with the new producer! This is the same guy who gave "To Hell with God" such fake, hollow, unlistenable production!! I read his credentials and it looks like he's more popular with the modern death metal scene with bands like Whitechapel/Carnifex, that kind of thing, with not very many old school death metal bands getting records produced through him (Resurrection and Deicide are the only others I saw)...on one hand, I expect the Cannibal guys to "know what they want" as far as tones and mixing are concerned, but I'm wondering if we won't end up with an album with really plastic production like what he did to "To Hell with God"?? I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

He also did Six Feet Under's Undead. Im expecting a clearer sound, perhaps like Bloodthirst.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:02 pm 

I didn't care for CC in a while until Torture was out. After Bloodthirst they went totally in autopilot to me until the last album, which showed some old ideas implemented in their new sound. I guess this will be on that direction, which means it'll be good.

BTW, The Bleeding is the greatest CC album.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:06 pm 

I think this producer did the latest Deicide album too, which I am fine with actually.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:51 pm 

not one to talk ANY shit, but this thread caused me to revisit some older albums, Barnes lyrics for 'Necropedophile' set me off, again.. musically, they were great..but to bring up children? seriously? how many of you even have kids or are helping family raise them? all i am saying, is leave kids out of it..

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:57 pm 

That was the point of it though. He was trying to be as disturbing as he possibly could. It's not like he hadn't used children as subject matter before Necropedophile (see: Shredded Humans and Butchered at Birth). Also, Blood Drenched Execution from Gallery of Suicide was about ripping unborn fetuses out of pregnant women's vaginas.

(Chrome doesn't recognize "vaginas" as a word. Go figure.)

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:02 pm 

i always knew that.. it really is not the first time i came across any of it. when i first came across, years and years ago, i remember just feeling the same way i do now..
you know, when you come across actual death and discover, dead things.. and feel the hurt of others and knowing there was not anything you could have done, sort of changes you..
when it comes to disturbing, i want heavyweights going head to head. not one monster putting his dick in dead children.. that isn't disturbing, that is weak.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:04 pm 

niix wrote:
not one to talk ANY shit, but this thread caused me to revisit some older albums, Barnes lyrics for 'Necropedophile' set me off, again.. musically, they were great..but to bring up children? seriously? how many of you even have kids or are helping family raise them? all i am saying, is leave kids out of it..

All gory stuff is like that, even worse.

I just take it as something even humorous. There's a brutal death metal band here that have some funny lyrics. Some song titles are Necropedozoophile, Horse' Ejaculation over the whore Mother Sor Theresa's face and Putrefact Vagina's Eruption.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:12 pm 

I just see it as fiction. Even popular shows on network tv, like Law and Order SVU or Criminal Minds, have brutal stuff about kids.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:36 pm 

fiction or not, some lines should not be crossed.. to each of own, man.

yet, i cross lines myself.. certain subjects are just so far from thought.. great musicians i will say that about CC, just makes me wonder about some things..

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:28 pm 

niix wrote:
fiction or not, some lines should not be crossed.. to each of own, man.

yet, i cross lines myself.. certain subjects are just so far from thought.. great musicians i will say that about CC, just makes me wonder about some things..

Not to be a condescending jerk, here, but if you're worried about 'crossing lines' when it comes to extreme metal of any kind then maybe you're checking out the wrong fucking genre, mate.
That's, in a nutshell, the whole point of the genre; to push the envelope, both musically and lyrically. Or at least it was that way when bands like Cannibal Corpse first started. Obviously things have changed a bit since then

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:43 pm 

Nah it's perfectly reasonable not to care for gory lyrics like CC's. I mean it's really not anything artistically viable. There are plenty of other subjects that DM and extreme genres can sing about that are much more interesting and cool. Just comes down to personal taste overall, and I can see why some find em funny. Me I can take them or leave them, it's not really what makes CC entertaining.

Lord_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:48 pm 

Can't wait for this.

Corpse have been one of my favourate bands for 11+ years now.

Like many they were a gateway band for me, helping me get into the more extreme side of music. I now listen to a wide range of Metal and an even wider range of bands but Corpse have always managed to stay up there.

As has been said countless times they break no boundaries and you know what you're going to get with a Corpse CD and that is just fine by me.

I'll definitely be snapping their new disc up when it's released and will definitely be catching them on tour next time they come to the UK.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:54 pm 

somefella wrote:
I think this producer did the latest Deicide album too, which I am fine with actually.

Actually, Jason Suecof did the latest Deicide. Mark Lewis is doing the newest CC. Not sure if it'll make much difference since it's the same studio.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:01 pm 

Are you serious about being offended by death metal lyrics regarding child mutilation? What the hell would be the point of death metal, or extreme metal in general, if it didn't tackle taboo subjects? Not to mention Cannibal Corpse are obviously incredibly tongue-in-cheek when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Chris Barnes' lyrics are the main thing I miss about their early material. The rest of the members have done a fine job of crafting mostly solid death metal lyrics, but when you read Barnes' stuff, it's seriously as if you're reading the insane ramblings of an actual serial killer.

Last edited by Razakel on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calamity_Cometh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:04 pm 

Bloodthirst won me over, Torture grabbed my attention. I will look forward to this. I don't know why, but Alex Webster always grabs my attention. I am a fan of his.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:05 pm 

Calamity_Cometh wrote:
Bloodthirst won me over, Torture grabbed my attention. I will look forward to this. I don't know why, but Alex Webster always grabs my attention. I am a fan of his.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that he's one of the best extreme metal bassists ever.

Calamity_Cometh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:07 pm 

I am a former musician, but I was never an accomplished one. Maybe that is why, but I won't pretend to proclaim that he is. I leave that to more accomplished musicians. I do enjoy him greatly though.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:19 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Are you serious about being offended by death metal lyrics regarding child mutilation? What the hell would be the point of death metal, or extreme metal in general, if it didn't tackle taboo subjects? Not to mention Cannibal Corpse are obviously incredibly tongue-in-cheek when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Chris Barnes' lyrics are the main thing I miss about their early material. The rest of the members have done a fine job of crafting mostly solid death metal lyrics, but when you read Barnes' stuff, it's seriously as if you're reading the insane ramblings of an actual serial killer.

Same here. I wish they had kept up the intensity of those lyrics. They are decent these days, and those on the Wretched Spawn are particularly fun to sing along to for me, but in general I can only say they are decent.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:23 pm 

offended...? pushing an envelope..?
you know, try reading those lyrics to the parents of abducted children. seriously now, sit down with some people and straight up be 'spoken word' with them, especially the people who have had their kids raped and mutilated.. yeahh, push an envelope man. i dare you. why not? it is glorified right? enough to share it with people like it even matters.
offended.. no.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:28 pm 

For fuck's sake, this is death metal, who are you? Nancy Reagan? Cannibal Corpse have done absolutely nothing in their career to advocate violence of any kind. By the logic you're using, you might as well say Angel of Death shouldn't be played to the pubic because it's a pro-Nazi song.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:38 pm 

..no. sadly, no.
i only mentioned a certain subject, and from what i remember, death metal never started from subjects of children.. ever. no. do not even put mixed references here.
as i have stated, great musicians.. good stuff, really.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:41 pm 

The moment anybody in Cannibal Corpse says "the stuff in our songs should happen to real people", then you would have a point. But not once has any member of the band, past or present, been an advocate for violence or murder or rape or whatever. As it stands, the stuff they talk about in their songs is just fantasy. Really dark, gruesome fantasy, but still fantasy.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:44 pm 

Good, let's leave it at that then and go back to the topic at hand.

Yeah, Mark Lewis producing this is the only reason I'm the slightest bit skeptical. I mean, obviously we still have every reason to expect the songwriting and musicianship to be top notch, but I'd just hate for a Cannibal album to have the same sound as the dime-a-dozen nowadays American death metal bands, which, it seems, is Lewis' forte. I dunno though, I imagine the band have a good idea of what they want, so there probably isn't need for worry.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:48 pm 

Subrick wrote:
The moment anybody in Cannibal Corpse says "the stuff in our songs should happen to real people", then you would have a point. But not once has any member of the band, past or present, been an advocate for violence or murder or rape or whatever. As it stands, the stuff they talk about in their songs is just fantasy. Really dark, gruesome fantasy, but still fantasy.

it is, very much fantasy.. and that fantasy is a little difficult to bring up to other people nowadays.. it is a rather very, difficult thing to bring up especially the area i am in where clearly everyone is dealing with things in the way the world is. i am not judging any of you guys, i support the growth of extreme metal. i hope all of you get somewhere with it, damn. i already stated at first that i am not talking any shit.
Razakel wrote:
Good, let's leave it at that then and go back to the topic at hand.

indeed, and no offence towards you or anyone. that is one of the last things i want for anyone, negative energy from me.
really hope the new album is worth a spin, as someone mentioned, the bassist is rad.. Blotted Science blew my mind, would have never guessed there was a connection there

Ross The Boss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:28 pm 

niix wrote:
offended...? pushing an envelope..?
you know, try reading those lyrics to the parents of abducted children. seriously now, sit down with some people and straight up be 'spoken word' with them, especially the people who have had their kids raped and mutilated.. yeahh, push an envelope man. i dare you. why not? it is glorified right? enough to share it with people like it even matters.
offended.. no.

this is an amazing point that you have made, but in my mind it works against you. music is an art, and all of the best art creates some sort of emotional reaction from the listener/viewer. this reaction does not have to be limited to feel good happyhappy joyjoy emotions, art can induce feelings of terror, longing, depression, anger, etc. now for many people listening to cannibal corpse, their music and lyrics make them feel powerful and energized. others will be terrified by their lyrics. and others, like the parents of these children, will feel depressed and outraged. if cannibal corpse can create such intense emotional reactions from their listeners, they should be praised for their artistic ability rather criticized for it. now im not trying to insinuate that CC is the vincent van goh of metal, im just saying that making people feel bad is not necessarily a reason for avoiding certen lyrical themes.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:53 pm 

and you have a point as well sir.. i was not stating anything to make anyone feel bad at all, and yes, it is art.. i just happened to go a bit back to this certain bands' previous work, and suddenly remembered what set me off the first time around.. that is all. also, i am not saying this Barnes guy is a bad person either (well, hopefully)

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:24 am 

Extreme, and shocking lyrics are written to offend people.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:22 pm 

When I first saw/heard Butchered at Birth, it made me uncomfortable as it looked like it was written by a serial killer rather than horror movie influenced(adding the serial killer quotes was a big touch). I think the lyrics are too poorly written though.
Tomb of the Mutilated- first album I heard by them and had only heard hammer smashed face from ace ventura. Probably the best written lyrics to me.

The albums with Fisher have a hit or miss feel to me, at least with lyrics. Barnes has really gone downhill with them.
As far as the new album, very curious to it as it looks like Pat wrote half of it.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:57 pm 

Really looking forward to this. Scourge of Iron is one of my favorite CC-songs of all time so I hope they write some songs in that vein.

~Guest 294530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:12 pm 

Definitely excited for this, especially after hearing that Pat did most of the writing. This should turn out to be a pretty fucking sick album..

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:11 am 

This will be awesome

On the gore topic, Shredded Humans really made me cringe the first time I read the lyrics, but I have no problem with them. Not my favorite lyrics but oh well
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:06 am 

http://rockstarmayhemfest.com/

That lineup is so bad and CC looks so out of place.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:19 am 

Ill Nino still exists?! I haven't heard that band mentioned in almost ten years.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:15 am 

I only know who four of those bands are(Korn, Body Count, Suicide Silence ,CC) and it looks like a shitty tour from ten years ago. They shouldve just put Morbid Angel on it instead. Then it would be total joke.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:21 am 

Nah. Even on this lineup Morbid Angel would be just as out of place as Cannibal Corpse, especially considering they don't do any of the techno songs live.

Part of me wishes that Mayhem existed ten years ago, as then it would consist entirely of late-80s/early-90s death, thrash, and traditional metal bands (with the headliners being hair bands probably), what with the promoters' heads being stuck a decade in the past.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:01 pm 

Bass tracking for the new Cannibal album is finished, vocals are up next.
From Alex's facebook.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:54 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Ill Nino still exists?! I haven't heard that band mentioned in almost ten years.

:lol: Ah man, funny stuff.

But yeah that lineup is painful to look at, especially with CC's position "beneath" the others. I trust it will be worth their while though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next