Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:14 pm 

I'll second Altars of Grief, but that's actually the old album, which is also killer so no complaints here.
Iris is this year's offering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ytpcwkDW4

On the melancholic front, I've also been enjoying Coldbound's The Gale. Doomy melodic death, with a fair dose of Insomnium worship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Tc6RITns8

grindcrushed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:59 pm 

Loving the new Mournful Congregation!

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:57 pm 

Bates wrote:
I'll second Altars of Grief, but that's actually the old album, which is also killer so no complaints here.
Iris is this year's offering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ytpcwkDW4

On the melancholic front, I've also been enjoying Coldbound's The Gale. Doomy melodic death, with a fair dose of Insomnium worship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Tc6RITns8

I'll check out Iris but I'm counting the other one as well because it was reissued this year with a proper physical release. Seems they were signed to their first real label recently!

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:22 pm 

The new Alice In Chains album is great. Doomy, Sabbath-y, atmospheric, dark and moody. Really worth a listen!

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:36 pm 

I love the new Primal Fear (Apocalypse). If you like Painkiller worship, check it out. Way better than Rulebreaker. It's second best to Delivering the Black imo (their debut being third best).

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:26 pm 

My current 2018 favorites:

Mantar - The Modern Art of Setting Ablaze
Imperial Triumphant - Vile Luxury
Khemmis - Desolation
Vein - Errorzone

And, on the metal fringe, I love the new Nothing album 'Dance on the Blacktop' that just came out...

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:07 pm 

Man, I just can't get into that Imperial Triumphant record.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:16 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

Me neither. I was really exceited about it but it's pretty uneventful and I get tired of it after a couple of songs. It has none of the catchiness of the bands they are influenced by (DsO, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, etc).

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:54 am 

The new Mantar is fucking killer.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:21 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
The new Mantar is fucking killer.

This... All day, this...

k311250 wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

Me neither. I was really exceited about it but it's pretty uneventful and I get tired of it after a couple of songs. It has none of the catchiness of the bands they are influenced by (DsO, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, etc).

That's interesting! I agree that it has none of the catchiness but I love the dissonance. It's really chaotic in a way that I've been pretty taken aback by. Understand where you're coming from but like the record for the same reason you dislike.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:01 am 

Bingewolf wrote:
That's interesting! I agree that it has none of the catchiness but I love the dissonance. It's really chaotic in a way that I've been pretty taken aback by. Understand where you're coming from but like the record for the same reason you dislike.

I think the production isn't helping, it's a bit dull and muddy. It has a mechanical and cold vibe I don't think is good for the music. I appreciate Colin Marston work but I don't think it's working this time. This album with a warmer sound and a bit more emphasis on the most catchy parts would have worked a lot better imo. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Unexpect always manage to keep an interesting sound while at the same time delivering sonic madness.

SD Plissken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:36 pm 

Nice to see the latest Varathron being praised. Unless I overlooked them on this thread, I didn't see these recommended:

Ascension - Under Ether: https://wtcproductions.bandcamp.com/album/under-ether

Vomitor - Pestilent Death: https://vomitor-australia.bandcamp.com/ ... lent-death

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:12 pm 

I've been jamming the new Bongripper, 'Terminal,' and it's great... I don't have a ton of instrumental bands that are "essential" but they are a really good band.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:33 pm 

Mob Rules' Beast Reborn is alright but not as good as their previous one. They seem to be in a kind of 'every other album is weaker' pattern. Klaus Dirks sounds killer but the music is simplified and not as rich or complex with riffs as the previous album, and the choruses are a bit simpler and more repetitive. It's a very stadium-ish sound, focused on big anthem-type stuff, but it lacks the kind of richness and soul I'd hoped for. Pretty decent, still, but it should've been better.

Last edited by Empyreal on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Mob Rules' Beast Reborn is alright but not as good as their previous one. They seem to be in a kind of 'every other album is weaker' pattern. Klaus Dirks sounds killer but the music is simplified and not as rich or complex with riffs as the previous album, and the choruses are a bit simpler and more repetitive. Pretty decent, still, but it should've been better.

Never could get into them. Too happy for me I think.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:36 pm 

A few obscure - but really good - releases, for your consideration:

Storrsson - Celtic Legends Volume 1
Crazy Bull - The Past Is Today
Alms - Act One

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:00 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Mob Rules' Beast Reborn is alright but not as good as their previous one. They seem to be in a kind of 'every other album is weaker' pattern. Klaus Dirks sounds killer but the music is simplified and not as rich or complex with riffs as the previous album, and the choruses are a bit simpler and more repetitive. Pretty decent, still, but it should've been better.

Never could get into them. Too happy for me I think.

I haven't liked anything of theirs since their 2nd album, the one with the Mayan temple on the cover. That album rocked.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:05 am 

Even that one was a little too flowery for me. But I will give this band another shot because I may be misremembering things.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:16 am 

You probably wouldn't like it that much if you're not into Euro PM.

Radical Peace is super dramatic and epic and Tales from Beyond is sweet and chock full of heavy trad metal-style riffs though. The debut is still my favorite one they did, but these recent ones are probably their best ones.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 pm 

Anyone else in love with the new Cemetery Urn album, Barbaric Retribution? This was a blind buy for me as I've never heard these guys before (any album with the word "barbaric" in the title deserves my attention) and it's excellent death metal.

MeatWolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:01 am 

The new Mob Rules didn't touch a single string in my heart, sounds like a lets-try-to-go-back-to-roots thing but they failed at every point of it. The previous was a progressive something which I didn't understand. Cannibal Nation and Radical Peace were both somehow nice.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:20 am 

MeatWolf wrote:
The new Mob Rules didn't touch a single string in my heart, sounds like a lets-try-to-go-back-to-roots thing but they failed at every point of it.

Basically. I was surprisingly bored by the more epic tracks at the end.

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:08 am 

Dagger Lust, Craft, St. Marine des Loupes, Slavehouse

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:00 pm 

It's already been mentioned but I want to once again praise this Slugdge record from earlier in the year. What an ass kicking piece of extreme metal.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:09 pm 

Also this new Gaerea album Unsettling Whispers is pretty bad ass.

CarlLSanders
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:44 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
New Watain is indeed pretty sweet, although I have to say I think it loses some steam near the end. New Summoning was great, new Shining was ok, Hooded Menace is sounding pretty tasty after one listen.

Disappointed so far: Abigor's latest is pretty weak, Audrey Horne went from fun and catchy to kitschy and lame.

I was(mildly) disappointed with the Watain : routine performances of bland songs. The last track is actually boring. IMO, as always.
Cool CD box, though. It now resides in my permanent collection, right alongside the metal box of Mayhem Order Ad Chao

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:19 pm 

Mare - Ebony Tower

I didnt like it very much at first, but the more listens I give it, the more interesting details are popping up, and the more captivating it is.

Dol Ammad - Cosmic Gods: Episode II - Astroatlas

I know many people will dismiss this band for those bombastic synths and a choir, but I think the way they mix those elements with metal is quite singular, and I cant really think of any other band giving me the same "monumental" feeling.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:25 pm 

CarlLSanders wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:
New Watain is indeed pretty sweet, although I have to say I think it loses some steam near the end. New Summoning was great, new Shining was ok, Hooded Menace is sounding pretty tasty after one listen.

Disappointed so far: Abigor's latest is pretty weak, Audrey Horne went from fun and catchy to kitschy and lame.

I was(mildly) disappointed with the Watain : routine performances of bland songs. The last track is actually boring. IMO, as always.
Cool CD box, though. It now resides in my permanent collection, right alongside the metal box of Mayhem Order Ad Chao

I liked the new Watain and Abigor albums. The last, long song on the Watain one (which I believe is a bonus track?) was not too great though.

The new Black Crucifixion album is some good gothic metal/rock-influenced black metal with some pretty epic-sounding (vaguely like Havukruunu) riffs here and there. I'm surprised that I've hardly seen anything about it on the Internet. I mean, it's not mind-blowing or anything, but it's very well put-together and I wouldn't expect a release this melodic and quality to go completely unnoticed.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:27 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
booK_of_blood wrote:
Not familiar with Bolzer's sound. They used to be this forum's hot topic band a couple of years ago, and everything that's being hyped, I'm trying to distance myself from, as hard as I possibly can.

My own personal choices, mentality or modus operandi in life is not yours to understand, and is the least of your concerns, so mind your own business and let me mind my own. Thank you.
And to indulge you with a laconic answer, since you seem so concerned with other people's matters -- yes. Popularity is never a hallmark of quality, quite the contrary.

If you really wanted to be left alone, why make that post? You posted something and he said it sounds like Bolzer, and you thought, great chance to explain my weird philosophy on life! But hey more power to you for purposefully avoiding bands that sound similar to ones you recommend.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:32 am 

SD Plissken wrote:
Nice to see the latest Varathron being praised. Unless I overlooked them on this thread, I didn't see these recommended:

Ascension - Under Ether: https://wtcproductions.bandcamp.com/album/under-ether

Vomitor - Pestilent Death: https://vomitor-australia.bandcamp.com/ ... lent-death

The Varathron is one of the best albums of the year.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:34 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Anyone else in love with the new Cemetery Urn album, Barbaric Retribution? This was a blind buy for me as I've never heard these guys before (any album with the word "barbaric" in the title deserves my attention) and it's excellent death metal.

Yes it is decent. They are leaving for Europe today from memory.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:56 pm 

slavonic777 wrote:
Mare - Ebony Tower

This is really good, solid black, I like it. Goes well with the new Ende who also released a great album earlier this year.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:04 pm 

The new Helion Prime is really solid euro-style power metal, and a good maturation of their sound from the debut. I was initially disappointed they switched to a male singer, but he's great and Brittney from BTA makes so many appearances that it doesn't really make a difference.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:18 pm 

pale_horse wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:
If you really wanted to be left alone, why make that post? You posted something and he said it sounds like Bolzer, and you thought, great chance to explain my weird philosophy on life! But hey more power to you for purposefully avoiding bands that sound similar to ones you recommend.

Don't give a fuck.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:43 pm 

Infuriate released their self-titled debut album on August 31st and it's a damn fine dose of death metal. Punishing yet catchy.
Fire walk with me"

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:28 am 

Symphony of Symbols - Historiocriticism

Pretty intense black/death metal with little room for breathing space. Some semi-subtle industrial sections to break it up, too. Not bad.

https://metalscraprecords.bandcamp.com/ ... ocriticism

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:45 am 

Sagor Som Leder Mot Slutet – II

I've managed to miss this album completely. It's a Swedish post metal/rock band who made this album and released it in January this year. Fans of uuhhh ... let's say Isis, Cult of Luna and such most definitely should check them out!

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:11 am 

Endarken - Tvoj je hram u srcu mom
https://endarken.bandcamp.com/releases

Excellent BM from Serbia.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:03 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:

Amazing!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 am 

MikeyC wrote:
e_ddi_e wrote:

Amazing!

Glad you liked it!
Even the band name is great, it's Swedish for "Fairy tales that leads toward the end".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 33  Next