Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:20 pm 

succubus - destiny (russia - 1995)

awesome thrashy death (see first link) punctuated by a handful of instrumentals (see second link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OxF6XMJo4g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t9Gd00AsuU

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:37 pm 

I have to 2nd a band that was posted on this thread awhile ago: Gangrena, and the album "Infected Ideologies". Heavy, well produced osdm with great vocals and great riffs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf_UPqyETwY

Also a band i dont think has been mentioned, the Swedish band Desultory. OSDM with a catchy melodic edge, but still maintaining balls. Vocals on the 2nd release are more like hardcore shouts than death growls, but its still great nonetheless, thanks to the music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKnE-I7b ... re=related

EVILBAD666
Oppressed blunt tool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:47 pm 

RZris wrote:
i had wondered if this had been mentioned, like so many other favorites of mine that i have seen here. kinda surprised it wasn't, kinda not

truly some of the most over-the-top-and-fuckin-out-there Death Metal there is. there is nothing comparible to this.....but if you're a fan of stuff like Timeghoul, Gutted and Infester-the really off the wall stuff, you might enjoy it

compiled of 2 demos, there's not a riff is out of place and you're never waiting for something to hit you in the face it all comes when it needs too and even when it's going easy, doomin along, it never loses it's straight up EVIL DEATH FUCKIN METAL INTENSITY....hell the Yardbird cover still has it's original kinda 60s vibe but is just as much a Death song on this album as the rest

this isn't Thrashy Death, Doom-y, Black, Technical, Brutal, Progressive, Experimental, fuckin /Grind or -core it's goddamn blasphemous Death Metal and i love & i can't get enough of it! i also truly believe it's one of those album that is an example of how real Metal (especially Death) will always stay underground-it's just too original to be bastardized

FUCK YES!!! I was going to post this but i'm glad to see you did. This album is just too good. It's definitely my all time favorite death metal album. Everyone should know about this album!

Seventy_Nine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:15 pm 

EVILBAD666 wrote:
RZris wrote:
i had wondered if this had been mentioned, like so many other favorites of mine that i have seen here. kinda surprised it wasn't, kinda not

truly some of the most over-the-top-and-fuckin-out-there Death Metal there is. there is nothing comparible to this.....but if you're a fan of stuff like Timeghoul, Gutted and Infester-the really off the wall stuff, you might enjoy it

compiled of 2 demos, there's not a riff is out of place and you're never waiting for something to hit you in the face it all comes when it needs too and even when it's going easy, doomin along, it never loses it's straight up EVIL DEATH FUCKIN METAL INTENSITY....hell the Yardbird cover still has it's original kinda 60s vibe but is just as much a Death song on this album as the rest

this isn't Thrashy Death, Doom-y, Black, Technical, Brutal, Progressive, Experimental, fuckin /Grind or -core it's goddamn blasphemous Death Metal and i love & i can't get enough of it! i also truly believe it's one of those album that is an example of how real Metal (especially Death) will always stay underground-it's just too original to be bastardized

FUCK YES!!! I was going to post this but i'm glad to see you did. This album is just too good. It's definitely my all time favorite death metal album. Everyone should know about this album!

Okay, I'm listening to this on YouTube and I can honestly say that it's kind of freaking me out, in a good way. It's the vocals, songwriting style and production.

EternallyDoomed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:58 pm 

Phantasm is fucking orgasmic,their Lycanthropy demo is on Youtube aswell

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:28 pm 

yeah that Phantasm is some truly sick shit. it's great.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:21 pm 

I'm listening to this Phantasm - I had to after seeing praise for the past four posts. Well, aside from the stupid intro of the first song, I will say that it's some cryptic sounding stuff. The pillow drum bass is pathetic, but these riffs and that guitar tone. Holy shit.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:53 pm 

Psytopsy wrote:
Also a band i dont think has been mentioned, the Swedish band Desultory.
whoah, haven't heard that name for a while, i liked them from memory? might track them down again, thanks dude.

The_Krusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:24 pm 

Gotta post this Polish gem: Legion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9PPVXHdL-4&feature=related
Sounds pretty unique.

jocksandjazz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:19 pm 

I know this isn't strictly what the thread was mentioning, but a newer band playing OSDM, Deathevokation, put out an album in 2007, the Chalice of Ages, that is absolutely worth looking into, and i very rarely see the name come up around here. Awesomely executed epic death metal, with some doom metal influence in the vein of High On Fire in there best moments of Blessed Black Wings. Album clocks in at around an hour, give or take, and is completely worth it.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/De ... ges/145249
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL0hXdxQ ... re=related

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:14 pm 

There is a completely separate thread about death metal gems post 95.
This is not that thread. Thanks for the recommendation that most of us have already heard and probably have already. And if we were just recommending or posting any OSDM of any time frame this thread would be double the amount or triple the amount of pages it is already.

Next time follow along to what the rest of the 15 pages have been doing.

jocksandjazz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:43 pm 

No worries, I'll stick to that thread. A shitty attitude like that certainly isn't a motivator for me to hang around here, nonetheless I thank you for the pointer and apologize for so clearly ruining your perfect day. And for the record, there are more than a couple recommendations I saw in this thread of things out post 95.

Asshole.

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:44 pm 

joppek wrote:
succubus - destiny (russia - 1995)

awesome thrashy death (see first link) punctuated by a handful of instrumentals (see second link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OxF6XMJo4g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t9Gd00AsuU

So much riffs, so little time. How the hell did they come up with so many awesome riffs, and most importantly, how did they shoehorn all of them in just 35 minutes? Thanks a lot, man.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:00 am 

jocksandjazz wrote:
No worries, I'll stick to that thread. A shitty attitude like that certainly isn't a motivator for me to hang around here, nonetheless I thank you for the pointer and apologize for so clearly ruining your perfect day. And for the record, there are more than a couple recommendations I saw in this thread of things out post 95.

Asshole.

You aren't used to constructive and helping criticism, are you?

moonslayer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:24 am 

I havent seen many mentions of Obituary, and I have to say that is one of my absolute fav Old School DM bands. Back From The Dead is a great album ♥__♥

MetalFRO
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:08 am 

Drowned wrote:
Crucifixion - Desert of Shattered Hopes

Good call - I used to have this on CD, and when I got in a pinch I unwisely sold it off w/ a bunch of other CDs to pay a bill. This is one I should have held on to, because Mausoleum releases don't exactly grow on trees. It's not an overly memorable album, but it does have a bit of a unique feel to it which I always appreciated.

The_Krusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:47 am 

moonslayer wrote:
I havent seen many mentions of Obituary, and I have to say that is one of my absolute fav Old School DM bands. Back From The Dead is a great album ♥__♥
Not the thread for Obituary. If the thread title was "Death Metal Everyone Knows About" then Obituary would've been on the first page.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 pm 

Acid Death - Balance of Power

Pretty interesting death/thrash from Greece. Don't be scared off by the "progressive" tag. Maybe they were later on, but not on this release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=wtV5xPBHwmQ

moonslayer wrote:

Surely, you can't be serious.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:10 pm 

moonslayer wrote:

That's cause we are straying away from the normal ones that are very well known. That's why you don't see them, grave, dismember, entombed and so on and soforth. We already know and are well versed in them. we are talking about those bands that slipped under the radar to most fans due to one reason or the other.
Otherwise pretty much what The_Krusher said since I just happened to notice he responded to it. lol

peterott gets it. Sorry the nujack doesn't.

JoeBlakkk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:02 pm 

Im sure they have been mentioned at least once but ill +1

Brutality.
They should be mentioned in the same breath as all the other great OS Classics.
This album specifically gets me goin.

Cries of the Forsaken
Septicemic Plague

Great shit.

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:12 pm 

peterott wrote:
jocksandjazz wrote:

Asshole.

You aren't used to constructive and helping criticism, are you?

I'd also like to point out that a death metal album clocking around an hour is not exactly ideal, especially for a Swedish death metal clone. Death metal albums over 45 minutes usually bore the fuck out of me.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:03 am 

I think 45mins is the perfect length as well. If they go over that they aren't boring to me, but they might suffer more if lessing the impact they could've made.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:09 am 

Subconscious Terror - Invisible

Japanese obscure death metal from 1996. As with other Japanese metal bands, this one is hard to compare directly with others. It has a nice balance between brutality, melody, blast, technicality and some thrash elements too. Hard to say if they are more on the US or the European side, when it comes to inspiration (though the bandname might give you a hint).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd-3tp-4JLM

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:13 am 

Was looking for this thread.

Anyway, Ripping Corpse is one of my favorite OSDM bands, I don't know if they've been mentioned. Probably have.

Seventy_Nine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:32 am 

MetalFRO wrote:
Drowned wrote:
Crucifixion - Desert of Shattered Hopes

Good call - I used to have this on CD, and when I got in a pinch I unwisely sold it off w/ a bunch of other CDs to pay a bill. This is one I should have held on to, because Mausoleum releases don't exactly grow on trees. It's not an overly memorable album, but it does have a bit of a unique feel to it which I always appreciated.

It's rare? I got it off of Amazon a year ago for like $5.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:39 pm 

Bought it for $4.99 on ebay some weeks ago.

EternallyDoomed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:12 pm 

Cross Fade - Ruined

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:04 pm 

Pessimist - Absence of Light

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:41 am 

Cemetary - An Evil Shade Of Grey
Jesus Christ, what an album.

Many, many thanks to RZris for posting Phantasm. I've only listened to the track The Abominable, but I was pretty much blown away. It's a shame that this band appears to have been short lived.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:02 pm 

Death List - Severed

This should be an album listened to at least once by every death metal fan. Straight forward, catchy / rhythm driven, but brutal and angry as fuck. Non-stop head bang fest. The drums are a blasting assault. Give it a try if you feel like going berzerk through a crowd of a few million people with a chainsaw. Nevermind the lyrics.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:15 pm 

Not really all that old, but is there anywhere to hear this? nada from their webpage or youtube.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:25 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Not really all that old, but is there anywhere to hear this? nada from their webpage or youtube.

I found it on extremechristianmetal.blogspot.com/

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:29 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Thier old band name was Obliteration, I found this which is basically what you will get sound-wise from the album, although their death list material is a little tighter sounding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBep55p5s8A

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:49 pm 

Oh yes I'm familar with this Obliteration. I'd def like to hear death list material if I can track that shit down.

Acidbubblebath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:32 pm 

Leprocide - Consequences of Infection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHoqxaeh ... re=related

Enjoy.

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:46 pm 

Acidbubblebath wrote:
Leprocide - Consequences of Infection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHoqxaeh ... re=related

Enjoy.
Don't remember hearing them back in the day, but that track is fucking killer.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:59 am 

There are some real fucking treasures here. I'll be monitoring this thread.

EternallyDoomed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:19 am 

Desolate - The Scourge of Sanity

Gaffed - It Hurts To Be Dead

Kingdom of the Lie - About the Rising Star

OSDM Demos never get old

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:28 am 

Wow, I had no idea anyone knew who Gaffed was! The former guitarist used to come into the convenience store where I worked years ago all the time and hooked me up with that demo after we had a conversation about death metal.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Spirits
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:02 pm 

Sorry if some of these have been mentioned before and seem a bit popular:

Psychic Possessor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LnDAPzv58w
This album was released in 1988 and combined elements of death and thrash metal to produce a unique sense of recklessness and chaos.

Holocausto - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xSOE-dbAxI
Another early death/thrash release (1987 I believe) which produces a similar tone to the formal. Also has elements of black metal hidden throughout some songs.

Sadistic Intent - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBa24EoXxM
Fast paced death metal with a hint of Morbid Angel and Possessed. Short album but very diverse in combining both the slow and fast paced elements throughout death metal.

Martyr (technical) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O11w_Y7LKiE
An example of an album with unique harmonies and a generally twisted and leads to an actual melodic sense to technical death metal.

Uncanny - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhTkLdQSaAo
Smooth and flowing Swedish death metal with a hint of melodeath.

Capharnaum - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUGGNdv09f4
Slightly technical death metal with a doomish taste throughout the album. Very subtle sound and not overwhelming technical.

Decrepitaph - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhBVLhf3Veg
Newer old school death metal with the haunting sounding of recent death metal.

Delirium (best extreme metal vocals of all time in my opinion) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL_mLruGd80
Amazing vocals and death/doom go very well together. And this is not death/doom of the melodic variety, it combines the slow drowning of doom with the harshness of death,

Apophis - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzwxUF8HMQo -
Unique sound with a nice bit of melody without being melodeath.

Lemming Project - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY0GSvWwuIY -
One of the more underrated bands, has a great unique sound in comparison to the rest of the general death metal stream.

Abhoth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21n7coEDotQ
Another band with that haunting sound to death metal, works well to build up a nice atmosphere.

Afflicted - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwugO0G3kyA
Slightly technical with a nice old school death metal feel.

Caducity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ_4uOgesGk
Epic death metal about mystical things, quite an unknown band and a treat to expand your death metal vocabulary.

Gangrena - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqR4yFWG52k
A good example of death metal that sounds like thrash metal without actually being thrash metal.

Thormenthor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeR2J0NBToA
Another technical death metal band without overdoing the technical wankery.

Judecca - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlXf0YZ0Nk4
Doomish death metal with some putrid vocals.

Xenomorph - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMplBaWoSVA
Death metal with science fiction themes and is a bit technical as well.

Eructation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q_EX7TiuV8
Another band that is unique and creates a chaotic sound.

Chemical Breath - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWx_4_W7nPI
Heavy haunting riffs with a bit of thrash included.

and a little melodeath treat - Faithxtractor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vULrTiG1LW4

I'll post up some more later.

Last edited by Spirits on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next