Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:05 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Can't wait to see which Nevermore album you give a 6/5, it will say a lot about you.

Ha shall we have a guess which one or ones? I'll guess Dreaming Neon Black.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:11 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:
Can't wait to see which Nevermore album you give a 6/5, it will say a lot about you.

Ha shall we have a guess which one or ones? I'll guess Dreaming Neon Black.

That's the one I'd give a 6/5 too, but nah, Opus is more of a This Godless Endeavor kind of guy

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:27 pm 

:lol: What if I give them all 6/5?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:30 pm 

Nevermore - The Politics of Ecstasy (1996)
They don't hold back here! Their most taxing and demanding album, and as such a grower. Not for use as relaxing background music.
This one probably has Nevermore's best album ending. 5/5

Here's Warrel's take on AI: The Learning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCEj64efGBU

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:25 am 

Opus wrote:
Nevermore - In Memory (1996)
I'm thinking they were experimenting with a more straightforward style here. I'm getting Empire vibes from this. Although this is great as well, I'm glad they didn't continue down this path. 5/5

A typical song: In Memory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCR1O9TbKOM

Stunning EP. Definitely a 5/5.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:05 pm 

Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black (1999)
No 6/5 here. It's too long. Deconstruction and The Fault of the Flesh in the middle of the album bogs it down horribly. It never picks up again after that, despite The Lotus Eaters being a great song. It just drags from there.
Being a concept album it would have benefited from being more focused. 4/5

A typical song: I Am the Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqmi_mpxgqk

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:31 pm 

If you take off the last 6-7 minutes of silence its only 2-3 minutes longer than Dead Heart and Godless which are both around 57 minutes long. 60 minutes isn't too long.
For me there's no bog down in the middle, it keeps me engaged the whole time, every song plays its part in the concept right until the end. It's a work of art, musically, lyrically and vocally and incredibly thoughtful in it's execution.
After just listening to it again I find it's one of those situations where on any given day it could be my favorite. These days it's a 3 way tie between POE, DNB and DHIADW.

I don't do 6/5s but it's an easy 5/5.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:39 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
60 minutes isn't too long.

It's not as much about the actual length of an album but more about the pacing. For example Mourning Beloveth's A Murderous Circus is 75 minutes, and that one isn't too long.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:40 pm 

Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World (2000)
This is my favourite Nevermore album so far. It's the middle ground between In Memory and PoE, and this is where they shine. Melodic vocals meshing with the downtuned guitar riffs. Heavy songs and calm songs. The drumming is more independent of the guitar rhythms than before, and I think that makes a big difference to the overall feel. The songs flow perfectly together.
I really like the idea with the Sound of Silence "cover". The music is completely different, but the phrasing of the lyrics are intact. And the lyrics fit Nevermore so incredibly well. The lines about the neon god could have been written by Warrel himself. 6/5

The one-two punch of The River Dragon Has Come and The Heart Collector is amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am4SzXh ... 5E&index=5

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:14 pm 

Nevermore - Enemies of Reality (2003)
This album takes some getting used to. Firstly, the sound/production. I've heard of scooped mids, but I never heard of turn the treble the fuck off. There are a lot of low end guitar here, and some bass drums ticking away. I do believe there are some more drums beneath that, but I'm not sure. Every now and then you can make out some vocals too.
The second thing is that the riffs are quite death metal. It's a bit idiosyncratic, but it works.

For the songs, it feels like it's Nevermore going through the motions here. Meaning it's still pretty great, but it's not spectacular. Most of this they have done before. It's not until the last three songs that we get something extraordinary when they do a bit of experimenting. 4/5

A great song: Who Decides
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS19ATE1-kM

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:42 am 

Opus wrote:
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World (2000)
This is my favourite Nevermore album so far. It's the middle ground between In Memory and PoE, and this is where they shine. Melodic vocals meshing with the downtuned guitar riffs. Heavy songs and calm songs. The drumming is more independent of the guitar rhythms than before, and I think that makes a big difference to the overall feel. The songs flow perfectly together.
I really like the idea with the Sound of Silence "cover". The music is completely different, but the phrasing of the lyrics are intact. And the lyrics fit Nevermore so incredibly well. The lines about the neon god could have been written by Warrel himself. 6/5

The one-two punch of The River Dragon Has Come and The Heart Collector is amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am4SzXh ... 5E&index=5

I agree with nearly every word stated here.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:48 pm 

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (2005)
This is how you keep reinventing yourself and still keep being awesome. This album is just straight up heavy metal of the progressive variety, but just as much Nevermore as before. The biggest change is the vocals. There are much more vocal arrangements, and the lyrics are more "normally" structured. The songs are more focused.
Although the subject matters are still about the sad state of society, the music doesn't really feel as dark and desperately depressive as usual. Again, 6/5

A typical song: Born
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RIqdno3r2o

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:30 pm 

Night Flight Orchestra - Internal Affairs (2012)
This band is a phenomenon! Started out as pretty much a joke, and have now churned out quality music for ten years and six albums. And despite the loss of David Andersson they are gonna keep going.

This album is a spot on re-enactment of 70s American arena rock. Though all their albums are full of cliche sounds, everything is original and fresh. There are disco beats, Lynard Skynard pianos, 70s police show soundtrack but above all there are groovy, well written songs. Even the bonus track is great. I usually hate when they tack them on at the end. Green Hills of Glumslöv (fantastic title!) is a perfect ending to the album, and then comes the bonus track American High, which is also a perfect ending.

It's amazing how good Björn Strid's vocals are. I remember seeing Soilwork several times around 2000 when he had just started using clean vocals, and they where terrible. Good thing he kept it up. 5/5

A typical song: West Ruth Avenue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgXmxs1Rj5s

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:42 pm 

Night Flight Orchestra - Skyline Whispers (2015)
This is more like 70s hard rock, hints of Kiss here and there. 5/5

A typical song: Sail On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jOJcxZEQTE

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:31 pm 

Opus wrote:
Night Flight Orchestra - Skyline Whispers (2015)
This is more like 70s hard rock, hints of Kiss here and there. 5/5

A typical song: Sail On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jOJcxZEQTE

This is bloody good stuff. I've always avoided them because of their name (it's like some sorta survival instinct I've acquired over time). Cool 70's vibe like you said, Deep Purple jammin with Kiss, nice.

Oh and that piano solo is fuckin ace!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:51 pm 

It's great, isn't it? The name is a bit odd, but it does make sense.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:51 pm 

Night Flight Orchestra - Sometimes the World Ain't Enough (2018)
Now we are getting close to 80s rock, and although this is my decade, this is my least favourite album of theirs. I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't really rock. Could be that there are many love songs. I don't like those.
To get some dynamics in my scoring, I'll give this 4/5

A cute pop song: Lovers in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7zcmpdg0so

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:01 am 

Opus wrote:
Night Flight Orchestra - Internal Affairs (2012)
This band is a phenomenon! Started out as pretty much a joke, and have now churned out quality music for ten years and six albums. And despite the loss of David Andersson they are gonna keep going.

This album is a spot on re-enactment of 70s American arena rock. Though all their albums are full of cliche sounds, everything is original and fresh. There are disco beats, Lynard Skynard pianos, 70s police show soundtrack but above all there are groovy, well written songs. Even the bonus track is great. I usually hate when they tack them on at the end. Green Hills of Glumslöv (fantastic title!) is a perfect ending to the album, and then comes the bonus track American High, which is also a perfect ending.

It's amazing how good Björn Strid's vocals are. I remember seeing Soilwork several times around 2000 when he had just started using clean vocals, and they where terrible. Good thing he kept it up. 5/5

A typical song: West Ruth Avenue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgXmxs1Rj5s

I hadn't been all that into them when I tried it before, but gotta hand it to you, this one sounds good. Slick and cool.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:18 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I hadn't been all that into them when I tried it before, but gotta hand it to you, this one sounds good. Slick and cool.

You should check out their other albums too. They all have a different character.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:19 pm 

Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic (2020)
Now they are grooving again!
It's 80s New Wave this time. I hear Tears for Fears and some Eurythmics and Ultravox. 5/5

Four on the floor: Divinyls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUh5iyl0Pyw

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:17 pm 

Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic II (2021)
Really keyboardy 80s rock with lots of Steve Lukather guitars and a bit of movie soundtrack flavour. 5/5

Make up your own movie title to this: How Long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfhR_fBuGMM

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:31 pm 

Nightmare - Silent Room (2003)
This is the spiritual companion to Operation: Mindcrime. Not in sound but in atmosphere. Great, effective riffs, great vocals (did someone say Dio?), great guitar playing, great songs and - an absolutely horrendous sounding electronic drum kit.
Subjectively I would like to give this a 2, because I really can't stand listening to that abominable sound. Objectively it's 4/5.

A typical song: Travel in the Spheres of Dreams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3x1GfrtDwM

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:55 pm 

Nightmare - The Burden of God (2012)
This is more melodic and less riffy (both guitarists have been replaced). Well played, decent songs but absolutely unspectacular. 3/5
I will probably get more of their mid-period albums eventually.

A typical song: Sunrise in Hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaUI8psJjSo

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:45 pm 

Nightwish - Dark Passion Play (2007)
Female fronted symphonic metal is is very low on my favourite metal genre list, but I like this one. I like Anette's expressive voice and I like Jukka's drumming. He's got swag. And of course Marco. The guitar playing is good too, but too much in the background. But then again, everything can't be at the forefront.
The variation between the songs, and in the songs, makes this an excellent car riding album. Meadows of Heaven is incredibly lame though. 4/5

A song: 7 Days to the Wolves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKeL83LFUSo

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:28 pm 

Nocturnal Rites - In A Time Of Blood And Fire (1995)
My favourite band did have a rocky start. This is both unfocused and underdeveloped.
I've been a fan of Zackrisson since 1984, but his voice isn't in shape here. I'll also wager the songs were written before he joined the band, because the vocal melodies are no good and there's no real hooks. The guitar solos are either stupid simple or off key. Oftentimes both. The drummer is trying his best, but he doesn't have much to work with.
For having the guts to release a power metal album in 1995 I give this premature debut 3/5

A typical song: Skyline Flame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZcX6rrpQBE

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:24 am 

I bought that album after being familiar with the rest of their catalogue for years (except for Tales of Mystery and Imagination, which came with the debut), and I love it. Lay of Ennui has to be one of the best songs they've ever written.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:59 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
I bought that album after being familiar with the rest of their catalogue for years (except for Tales of Mystery and Imagination, which came with the debut), and I love it. Lay of Ennui has to be one of the best songs they've ever written.

They suffered from the Iron Maiden syndrome here: repetition ad infinitum.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:00 pm 

Nocturnal Rites - Tales of Mystery and Imagination (1997)
And here they are - my favourite band! Every song here is a sing-along banger, short, to the point and incredibly catchy with very subtle but effective arrangements. The addition of lead guitarist Nils Norberg makes a huge difference. Great guitar melodies everywhere and amazingly melodic solos. 5/5

A typical song: Lost in Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgftje0O1nY

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:34 pm 

Nocturnal Rites – The Sacred Talisman (1999)
This is peak power metal! More sing-along songs, and also sing-along guitar solos. This guy is phenomenal! There are more vocal arrangements here, and Zackrisson really excels at it. New drummer helps take this to the next level.
Whenever I listen to this it puts me in such a great mood. It's just so positive and uplifting. 6/5

A typical song: Destiny Calls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-EtGG6Fjc

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:05 am 

The Sacred Talisman is really one of those underrated power metal records. Just amazing from start to finish and very few people talk about it. Eternity Holds is one of the best songs in the whole genre for me.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:23 pm 

Nocturnal Rites – Afterlife (2000)
Lead singer changed successful. This album is quite different sound wise, as it is much darker. That was a smart move, as they avoid direct comparisons with the old singer this way. And he does a terrific job and fits the band like a glove.
The riffs are heavier and chunkier, not as melody driven as before. They also switched to 7-string guitars, but it's ok since they use all the strings. If the riffs are less melodic, the choruses are just as Nocturnal Rites-melodic as ever, so it's not like they lost their way.

What it doesn't have though is proper guitar solos. Nils Norberg is just making noises on the guitar here, like some metal Tom Morello. It isn't horrible, as it sorta fits the music, but I would have preferred his normal playing. 5/5

A typical song: Temple of the Dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGcleSI3t0c

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:21 pm 

Nocturnal Rites – Shadowland (2002)
This is a step back, and all for the better if you ask me. The guitar leads are back and the guitar solos are back. A bit lighter in tone, though the heavy, downtuned riffs are still there. 5/5

A typical song: Shadowland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izlt3mJG7mw

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:40 pm 

Nocturnal Rites – New World Messiah (2004)
This is probably my desert island album. I love everything about it.
The singer now sounds like a metal singer and not a hard rock singer in a metal band, which he is, and he sounds fantastic. He's really going hard. The drumming is better than ever, don't know what happened to him. There are more vocal arrangements in the big choruses and the sing along factor is huge!

Both the sound and the songwriting is expansive and dynamic. The only drawback is that the album feels way too short at 47 minutes. 6/5

A typical song: Avalon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lznVXzPuwL0

democracyiscringe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:04 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
60 minutes isn't too long..

It kinda is.
On the other extreme, there are great albums about 21 minutes long. Mainly in hardcore punk, grindcore, brutal death metal, etc, but still. Those are totally different genres, but if they can fit their ideas in 20 minutes, a conventional metal band can probably fit their ideas in 45 minutes or so with a little editing.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:19 pm 

Still can't find anything with Ñ? Why are you taking so long?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:20 pm 

Opus wrote:
Nocturnal Rites – New World Messiah (2004)
This is probably my desert island album. I love everything about it.
The singer now sounds like a metal singer and not a hard rock singer in a metal band, which he is, and he sounds fantastic. He's really going hard. The drumming is better than ever, don't know what happened to him. There are more vocal arrangements in the big choruses and the sing along factor is huge!

Both the sound and the songwriting is expansive and dynamic. The only drawback is that the album feels way too short at 47 minutes. 6/5

A typical song: Avalon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lznVXzPuwL0

This one blew me away when I first heard it, though these days the second half is weaker than the first couple tunes... maybe I just need to be in the mood... but the first track especially is just flawless.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:45 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

Sorry, don't have any bands starting with Ñ.
I'm on vacation and bee a bit busy. I'll do better!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:46 pm 

Nocturnal Rites – Grand Illusion (2005)
This could have been better. The songs are good but they tweaked the poppy bits, dumbed down the riffs and simplified the leads and the drumming is very subdued. Add to that it's apparent here that the guitarist is a fan of Allan Holdsworth. I am not.
The positive is that the singing is fantastic. 4/5

A good song: Never Ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHC6VVZjR9k

Last edited by Opus on Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:52 pm 

Opus wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

Sorry, don't have any bands starting with Ñ.
I'm on vacation and bee a bit busy. I'll do better!

Nightwish :bow:

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:29 pm 

Vacation is over. Let's get this going again, starting on a low note.

Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin (2007)
It's hard when your favourite band go completely limp.
They really lost the plot here. Downtuned whack-a-mole chuggas and "symphonic" keyboards in the verses, choruses fitting for eurovision and emo lyrics. It's bad. Very bad. They are dead to me now. 2/5

A typical song: Strong enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_1XcsT5OM

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next