Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:47 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Liber_418 wrote:
and all the epic clean vocals/80's hair metal vocals. these are the ones that just kill me.

Does that include Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Geoff Tate, and Harry Conklin? If so, please preheat your oven to 400 degrees and climb inside.

Hmm, he did say "hair metal" .. I am never quite sure what that means. Certainly not any accepted definition of metal that I know of. Must be talking aboutt the so-called glam bands. Not much epic quality there, though.

Attila makes just about everything better.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:51 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Liber_418 wrote:
and all the epic clean vocals/80's hair metal vocals. these are the ones that just kill me.

Does that include Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Geoff Tate, and Harry Conklin? If so, please preheat your oven to 400 degrees and climb inside.

:lol: That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:12 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
Liber_418 wrote:

Hmm, he did say "hair metal" .. I am never quite sure what that means. Certainly not any accepted definition of metal that I know of. Must be talking aboutt the so-called glam bands. Not much epic quality there, though.

Note the "epic clean". He seems to be conflating operatic/high-register vocals with cock rock, which is something I will not stand for.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

shredmeister
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:26 am 

Rob Flynn - Just bugs me, stop trying to sound like such a hardcase.
Timo Kotipelto - Early stuff was alright, now just awful, makes my teeth itch.
Randy Rampage - Great riffage (not from him obviously) but yikes, what sort of band meeting was held to decide "yeah, he is the singer for us!!"
James LaBrie - Studio stuff is alright, but live, shocking
ZP Theart - What the fuck is going on there?

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:33 am 

shredmeister wrote:

Get Live at the Marquee, Score, and New York City 3/4/93.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

shredmeister
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:36 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
shredmeister wrote:

Get Live at the Marquee, Score, and New York City 3/4/93.

Live at the Marquee is good...but every live recording since hasn't impressed, mind you I'm normally just listening to Petrucci & Portnoy...speaking of which Portnoy, terrible backing vocals.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:01 pm 

Mike Portnoy has a horrible singing voice, I agree. At least Petrucci knows his limitations and delivers extremely basic backing harmonies, while Portnoy uses girly falsettoes that make James look like Phil Anselmo by comparison or raps (have you heard what he's done to the intro to "Take the Time" on their most recent tour? It's painful) or does some other stupid shit.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Liber_418
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:30 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Liber_418 wrote:

no, these are acceptable. they were actually doing something some what innovative, i'm refering to maiden worship bands, and the like.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:48 pm 

So in other words you think a singing style should only appear once ever? That's a huge load of horseshit. A singer who sounds a lot like Bruce Dickinson is a plus in my book.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:53 pm 

John Tardy. I know many people love his style but I can't stand it. It's just too much "uuuaaaaahhhooo" for me.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:11 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
Liber_418 wrote:

While I'll say that Attila is a very talented man with a voice many love (me included), its far too generalizing to say that he just makes everything better. Some people just prefer other vocalists over him. Varg even says he preferred Dead to Attila in an interview if I remember right.
Hehe, foreskins.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:18 pm 

I haven't read every post but has anyone mentioned latter James Hetfield? Jesus, I'd rather cut my dick off with a fork than listen to St. AngerDeath Magnetic because of him only.

LOVE IS A FOUR LETTER WOOOOOORD...AHHHH!

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:20 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I haven't read every post but has anyone mentioned latter James Hetfield? Jesus, I'd rather cut my dick off with a fork than listen to St. AngerDeath Magnetic because of him only.

LOVE IS A FOUR LETTER WOOOOOORD...AHHHH!

Agreed there. I didn't like him in the earlier stuff either, but it wasn't the same level of kill-me-please! as it is now.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:30 pm 

I'm pretty sure that James 'EAAHHH" Hetfield can't say a single phrase without saying 'EAAHHH' at the end. In fact, I think his band was called 'Metallic' in the early days until he decided to say it out loud, 'MetallicEAAHH'. There's not a single post-MoP album in which he doesn't say it at least 150 times.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:10 pm 

Crick wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
Liber_418 wrote:

While I'll say that Attila is a very talented man with a voice many love (me included), its far too generalizing to say that he just makes everything better. Some people just prefer other vocalists over him. Varg even says he preferred Dead to Attila in an interview if I remember right.

Hah, I don't really give a toss about whom Varg prefers. Yeah, saying that he makes everything better is somewhat exagerative, but his vocals do improve the experience in every recording i've heard him do. Just really charismatic, versatile and strange...I'm in the camp who can't imagine DMDS sounding better with anybody else at the microphone .. his performance on there is just so possessed.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:28 am 

Quorthon.

I adore Bathory, but his voice is quiet cringe-worthy at times. One example is Dragon's Breath from Nordland 1. He's a legend and deservedly so, but not because of the vocals!

Last edited by winterheathen on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:29 am 

winterheathen wrote:
Quarthon.

Who the hell is Quarthon?

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:36 am 

Sorry, you know what I mean.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:40 am 

I think Quorthon had a great voice.

In his earlier days, his singing wasn't brilliant sounding, but he could put a ton of emotion into it. See: One Rode to Asa Bay.

By the time Nordland rolled around, he had improved extremely, and there was still plenty of emotion in the vocal delivery there. See: Mother Earth, Father Thunder.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:40 am 

What the man lacks in vocal ability he makes up for in passion and soul. He's like the Bob Marley or Bob Dylan of metal.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:44 am 

A perfect analogy, Jackal.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:48 am 

I've never cared that much for King Diamond's "little girl" vocals.

Took me a long time to warm up to the vocals in Suicidal Tendencies.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:35 pm 

Oh yeah, I completely agree that Quorthon had passion. Few bands rival Bathory for overall "feeling".

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:42 pm 

I do not like bands who's voices revolve around pig squeals.

OverchargeddCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:51 pm 

The first time I heard Amorphis I absolutely hated the vocals of the band, but i've warmed up to them as of late and I'm really into Silent Waters.
I see their musical shittiness reflects in their merchandise.

Zombie_Quixote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:32 pm 

Preface: I'm totally gay for Warrel Dane, Nattramn and King Diamond. I would have their children if it were possible.

I can stand most vocal styles though (aside from the obvious core-ish ones).

As for my actual thoughts:

The Sodom and Destruction vocalists get on my nerves a little.

Later Chris Barnes' works. Just listening to the song "Amerika the Brutal" makes me laugh out loud.

All the double layering Glen Benton does to get his vocals to sound more "brutal" because he lost the ability to achieve a vocal style that isn't stagnant sometime after Legion.

That guy from The Sword.

Metal vocalists who get old and can't sing anymore. Dickinson sounds like a strangled muppet to me in recent Maiden efforts (ironic coming from someone who likes Nattran, I know). Halford just talks in an "I'm a tough guy" voice now. Tom Arraya's vocals got very core-ish.

Varg's attempt at clean vocals. Recent Damnagoras, honestly didn't mind his nasal wails on Heathenreel, but now he's just cringe worthy. I really miss Jarpen too, sure his vocals were a little generic but he added another dimension to Heathenreel that Damnagoras just can't do on his own, despite how hard he tries.

Zakk Wylde is insufferable, he sounds like Ozzy being raped by a goat. Dave Mustaine sounds like half-man, half-frog.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:31 am 

Zombie_Quixote wrote:
The Sodom and Destruction vocalists get on my nerves a little.

I would absolutely love Agent Orange if it had someone who could actually sing instead of Tom Angelripper doing half-assed harsh vocals in an ahhh-ccent that would make Arnold Schwarzenegger blush. His vocals always use this very standard verse cadence that you see constantly in harsh thrash and death metal vocals as well (compare "Agent Orange" and "Tired and Red" to "Darkness Descends" by Dark Angel, "Immortal Rites" by Morbid Angel, and "In Hell I Burn" by Deicide--it's the exact same vocal rhythm in the verse, and it's a fucking annoying one. Why is it so goddamn common?)

Quote:
Metal vocalists who get old and can't sing anymore. Dickinson sounds like a strangled muppet to me in recent Maiden efforts (ironic coming from someone who likes Nattran, I know).

I would have to disagree with you. Bruce Dickinson still posses incredible vocal dexterity and power, and his performances are much tighter than they were in the '80s and '90s. Bruce really wasn't that great live in Iron Maiden's heyday. His dramatic vocals have less high range but more force behind them, and his mellow vocals are far richer and more mature than the often annoying moans and rasps he did on earlier albums whenever the "Air Raid Siren" proved inappropriate. His voice is certainly smoother and less "mean" than it used to be, but I really like how his voice has aged.

Quote:
Dave Mustaine sounds like half-man, half-frog.

Dave Mustaine sucks 90% of the time on vocals, but I defy anyone else to match his conviction singing "Peace Sells" (the song, not the album).

Whaddya mean I ain't kind?
Just not your kind

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Last edited by Woolie_Wool on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:37 am 

Crick wrote:

Well Varg did say he preferred Dead on "Freezing Moon", but that's because it was really Dead's song. No other vocalist could ever match his delivery, no matter how many damn bands cover that song. But for most other songs on DMDS, I much prefer Attila.

One question, why are Baloff's vocals on "Bonded by Blood" so awful, but the rest of the album is pretty good? Just one that one song, the vocals sound so weak and forced it's almost embarrassing.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:19 am 

I don't think they sound bad. They sound like a guy shouting into a mic with little regard for how he sounds, which is thrash as fuck.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:33 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
I think Quorthon had a great voice.

In his earlier days, his singing wasn't brilliant sounding, but he could put a ton of emotion into it. See: One Rode to Asa Bay.

By the time Nordland rolled around, he had improved extremely, and there was still plenty of emotion in the vocal delivery there. See: Mother Earth, Father Thunder.

I like Quorthon's voice, too. I know he's not really a great singer, but I think he fits his music perfectly, ironic as his music is great.

kreator72
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:21 pm 

[quote="The_Beast_in_Black"]I think Quorthon had a great voice.

Second that !

Rodney Dunsmore's (Devastation) vocals on Violent Termination is simply pathetic.

Vlad_Drakul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:27 pm 

Any super corny, non-aggressive power metal vocals that have nothing to do with the true heavy-metal vocal style created by legends like Eric Adams, Rob Halford, Paul DiAnno..etc

Any modern american metalcore soulles bullshit mediocre scream type of vocals. All singers get training from some stupid vocal coach, you can instantly recognize the really lame superficial and actually fake sounding scream sound they have.

Boomsticks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:13 am 

I love all vocals associated with metal or punk. And sometimes it's great to find a vocalist that makes you cringe, as long as you're cringing for the right reasons.

Pop vocals make me cringe for the wrong reasons though. And anything produced by anyone even remotely affiliated with High School Musical.

UGH!

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:28 pm 

Anyone mention Wallachia yet? When i first heard the music i was really stoked. Once i heard the vocals, i thought it ruined the whole thing. Great music but just too demonic on the vocals to enjoy.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:35 pm 

Why has no one mentioned Hetre from Triste yet? The band itself is alright in most aspects, but dear God. Remember how Varg's vocals sounded? Put them through a night of crying and various depressing songs. 10 hours later, Hetre leaves his home to record the vocals for whatever material he's working on. The man sounds like a crying throat cancer patient, if thats possible.
Hehe, foreskins.

Uebermensch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:38 pm 

John Edlund. I love Tiamat's discography, even the pop-goth stuff, but his vocals don't fit the music.

Also, Steve Grimmett. He can wail, but he always hits bad notes, and frequently fails to transition between words - case in point, "CANNAH MAKE YOU AN OFFER YOU CANNAFUUUAAHZE".

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:54 pm 

Uebermensch wrote:
John Edlund. I love Tiamat's discography, even the pop-goth stuff, but his vocals don't fit the music.

Also, Steve Grimmett. He can wail, but he always hits bad notes, and frequently fails to transition between words - case in point, "CANNAH MAKE YOU AN OFFER YOU CANNAFUUUAAHZE".

The way he delivers that Grim Reaper line is completely retarded.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:26 am 

Uebermensch wrote:

True, on both counts. THe vocals on "Sumerian Cry" were cool though, perhaps because they were highly reverbed as was the case with most Sunlight Studio bands .. sometimes it sounded a bit weak (Darkthrone) but at other times it worked (Entombed, Tiamat).

I know that "cringe" usually has a negative association, so perhaps it's not exactlyt he right place for this, as I kind of like it in fact .. but I can't listen to King Diamond spell "C.U.N.T!" in "Nuns Have No Fun" without bursting into laughter .. but especially when he ends the chorus with "you c.u.n.t yeah!" It sounds ridiculous, yet I can't imagine the song any other way really. Does anybody know the story behind that? I mean, were they not allowed to say "cunt" on the record and so decided to write a tongue-in-cheek song around that where the spelling figured prominently in the chorus?

Architect696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:49 pm 

The vocalist from Mayhem. I just can't take his voice seriously.

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:50 pm 

Architect696 wrote:
The vocalist from Mayhem. I just can't take his voice seriously.

I take it you mean atilla right?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next