Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:04 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Every "angelic" female singer ever.

Haha, and that's because you are so evil and .. devillish!

The guy who sang on Revelation (US)'s albums .. though for some reason he sounds better in Against Nature. ALso, Michael Kiske and his looo-oo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ng-drawww-ww-ww-ww-ww-wwwn vowls that seem to go on endlessly make me shudder.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:07 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:

Now that I read that, I realize it's kind of a sterotypical "metal" thing to say, but really, those singers are so annoying.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:09 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
I think at this point I can tolerate just about any vocalist I come across, but I still can't fully listen to later-era Death. Chuck's voice just really grates on me in a way that I can't stand, then again, I enjoy Sean Killian and Alan Tecchio, so maybe it's something else :scratch:

His phrasing is actually pretty annoying, even going as far back as "Human". I can't say I like the way he pauses in the middle of a word .. or at least, it makes me chuckle in a somewhat derisive way. "Su-i-cide ma ------ chiiiiiiiiiine." Of course, the pinched, squeaky rasps on "The Sound of Perseverence" are a whole new level of obnoxiousness.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:09 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:

Now that I read that, I realize it's kind of a sterotypical "metal" thing to say, but really, those singers are so annoying.

You mean all the time? Or just in metal? How do you like your women to sound? :P

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:12 pm 

invoked wrote:
That douchebag from Nevermore. Good god he's bad, it just sounds like he's constantly trying waaaaayyyyy too hard.

His material on the two Sanctuary albums are much better. It's basically the same story as Phil Anselmo, he used to sound great but then he tried to be manly, whatever the hell that means.

My picks:

Mike Disalvo - The vocalist of Biohazard with even more rap tendencies, upchuck threshold reached.

Robb Flynn - Self-Explanatory

John Bush (Anthrax albums) - See rationale for hating Robb Flynn

Anders Fridén - He was bad to begin with, and he has continually gotten worse.

Michela D'Orlando - Sounds like a goat choking on barbed wire, when she's in tune.

Maniac - I've only heard "Deathcrush" and "Grand Declaration of War", but what I've heard is horrid.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:12 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:
I think at this point I can tolerate just about any vocalist I come across, but I still can't fully listen to later-era Death. Chuck's voice just really grates on me in a way that I can't stand, then again, I enjoy Sean Killian and Alan Tecchio, so maybe it's something else :scratch:

His phrasing is actually pretty annoying, even going as far back as "Human". I can't say I like the way he pauses in the middle of a word .. or at least, it makes me chuckle in a somewhat derisive way. "Su-i-cide ma ------ chiiiiiiiiiine." Of course, the pinched, squeaky rasps on "The Sound of Perseverence" are a whole new level of obnoxiousness.
I was pretty content up until ITP but then it dipped in quality pretty quickly. There's a couple specific lines on Symbolic that sound almost metalcorish in delivery.

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:14 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:

Hahaha, that sounds pretty horrible.

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:27 pm 

Killian

Attila

Guy from Dark Angel when he sounds like a douchebag (ie. time does not heal).

The nasally nerdery brought to new heights by the singer of Manilla Road

Shagrath

Disclaimer: Besides Dimmu I like the respective bands of all these guys, but at times their vocals cause a bit of cringing.

Last edited by Horned_Owl_Holocaust on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:28 pm 

My picks:

The singers from Unexpect. Their terrible and they seem to lack skill or anything resembling skill.

James LaBrie - his voice just annoys me for some reason.

Alexi Laiho - Even bad singers sound better than him. To me it seems like he just doesn't try.

Phil Anselmo - He sounds like some idiot trying to act though

Tarja - I find her to be voice annying. I hate Nightwish and she is one of the reasons I hate them.

Mike Patton - he's absolutly terrible, his "vocals" if you can call them that are aweful. I seriously don't understand why people like them.

Daniel Gildenlow - is he a bad rapper or really overrated singer? His vocals always seemed really generic and sometimes annoying to listen to for long periods of time. His vocals on Disco Queen were so bad and over the top that they were both funny and annoying at the same time.

Last edited by HeavyMetalSteve on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KingHenry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:49 pm 

Matt Barlow - his over emoted ballads make cringe, puke and laugh at the same time.

Mr Opeth [can't remember his name] - awful 14 year old growls and disgusting whiny crooning.

Mike Patton - a vocal GOD in Faith No More and Mr Bungle, a self indulgent, "i'm so kooky" cunt in everything else.

Glenn Danzig - lost his incredible 'wolfish' howl afer Danzig 4 and turned into a whispery old twat.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:49 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:

TSOP was his worst performance, but Human is quite decent. It's a sort of thrashy scream similar to the guy in Autopsy, not that bad.

Alan Tecchio of Watchtower and the dude from Slough Feg annoy me to no end.

KhazaDDooM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:06 pm 

KingHenry wrote:
Mr Opeth [can't remember his name] - awful 14 year old growls and disgusting whiny crooning.

Mikael Akerfeldt?:nono:

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:07 pm 

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJJrIQsCTcQ

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:20 pm 

As much as I love Novembers Doom and Paul Kuhr's death growls, his clean vocals annoy the hell out of me.

As for other vocalists

Spongebob from Suicide Silence, Matt and Dino from Dystopia, Alexi Laiho, Angela Gossow, Bjorn "Speed" Strid, obviously the new "vocalist" from Cryptopsy, whoever does vocals in Catamenia, same goes for Kalmah as well, Varg Vikernes lul.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:23 pm 

DrSeuss wrote:
As much as I love Novembers Doom and Paul Kuhr's death growls, his clean vocals annoy the hell out of me.

Really? I love his cleans, they are very well done. Way better than Mikael Akerfeldt's cleans, which are too whiny and bouncy for me.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:26 pm 

Biff Byford on Unleash the Beast when he does falsetto or high pitched screams. It just doesn't work on that album. Bruce Dickinson on Balls... he does some stuff that's near to rapping, I died a little.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:28 pm 

No mention of Plasma? It doesn't make me cringe, but it is pretty much the zenith (should I say nadir?) of suckage. The vocalist (if it is an actual person and not just the sound of toilet flushing) excretes sound.

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:30 pm 

Kruel wrote:
No mention of Plasma? It doesn't make me cringe, but it is pretty much the zenith (should I say nadir?) of suckage. The vocalist (if it is an actual person and not just the sound of toilet flushing) excretes sound.

Nadir implicates it is the lowest, therefore meaning that it is the least sucky thing you've heard. So, no, it wouldn't fit unless you rephrased.

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:32 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:

Really? I love his cleans, they are very well done. Way better than Mikael Akerfeldt's cleans, which are too whiny and bouncy for me.

I'd prefer old (Pre-Ghost Reveries) Mikael Akerfeldt clean vocals to most out there, but I don't see why you would bring that up seeing as I didn't even mention Akerfeldt :scratch: . I feel that Paul Kuhr's vocals are just cheesy and lame sounding most of the time.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:34 pm 

Pathological_Frolic wrote:
Kruel wrote:

Nadir implicates it is the lowest, therefore meaning that it is the least sucky thing you've heard. So, no, it wouldn't fit unless you rephrased.

Yeah of course, it was rhetorical. I just felt wrong to use the word zenith for that thing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:34 pm 

DrSeuss wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:

I'd prefer old (Pre-Ghost Reveries) Mikael Akerfeldt clean vocals to most out there, but I don't see why you would bring that up seeing as I didn't even mention Akerfeldt :scratch: . I feel that Paul Kuhr's vocals are just cheesy and lame sounding most of the time.

Yeah, I just think the two are comparable, is all. :p Everyone seems to love Akerfeldt, too.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:38 pm 

KhazaDDooM wrote:
I really can't stand the vocals on Ordo Ad Chao.Just makes me wanna cry.

You gotta be kidding! The vocals on that album are great imo (listen to Anti)

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:51 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:

Yeah, I just think the two are comparable, is all. :p Everyone seems to love Akerfeldt, too.

ah, you would be correct about the assumption of my raging Opeth boner. Except for the new album, where his clean vocal lines just annoy the hell out of me.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:58 pm 

DrSeuss wrote:
Spongebob from Suicide Silence, Matt and Dino from Dystopia, Alexi Laiho, Angela Gossow, Bjorn "Speed" Strid, obviously the new "vocalist" from Cryptopsy, whoever does vocals in Catamenia, same goes for Kalmah as well, Varg Vikernes lul.

What's wrong with the vocalists from Dystopia? I think their vocals fit the music well.

Me:

Lee Dorian on Scum - He doesn't even sound like he's trying to make his harsh vocals sound good on this. He just sounds like a retard yelling a lot.

Billy Milano on anything that isn't Speak English or Die or USA for MOD - He had a pretty funny teenage-fatboy thing going for a while, then after that he just sounded like some asshole trying to be a big man.

The guy from Exit-13 - He sounds like shit.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:09 pm 

Nattarmn as most people have already said.

Warrel Dane can be listenable in his middle range stuff. Unfortunately when he tries to put in too much emotion he sounds really whiny. And he also has what I consider to be the most cringe worthy falsetto of anyone I've heard.

Aaron Stainthorpe of My Dying Bride. Since they got gothic on us he's been like Warrell been trying way too hard to be emotional, and sounds like a crying 12 year old girl.

New Cryptopsy singer. He's usually irritating, btu his cleans are worthy of a face palm.

Demilich - Come on, he's just burping, it's weak and it sounds like shit.

Every operatic female vocalist in existence. You all suck, every single one of you.

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:12 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Every operatic female vocalist in existence. You all suck, every single one of you.

Listen to Helena Michaelsen in Imperia. The Lotus Eaters = pure awesomeness.

Last edited by InfernoNecrosis on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:12 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:

Even when you're listening to them outside of metal? Like, in classical.

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:14 pm 

Hellrisen wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:

What's wrong with the vocalists from Dystopia? I think their vocals fit the music well.

They do, I just find the lows laughable on occasion.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:14 pm 

Kruel wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

Even when you're listening to them outside of metal? Like, in classical.

Yep, the lot.

And also, I'll add the chick who did Alas. She wasn't really operatic as such, but she sure liked being off key.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:24 pm 

King Diamond. First time I heard Abigail, I started laughing cause I though it was a joke. It got annyoing a few minutes later.

Paul Kuhr's clean vocals as well...:ugh:

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:27 pm 

I personally enjoy King Diamond. It gets annoying when he only uses falsetto (such as on "Them.") Songs like A Dangerous Meeting were great with his vocals, though.

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

JesusShaves5643
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:32 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:

You mean all the time? Or just in metal? How do you like your women to sound? :P

Fuck you Abominatrix, you made me spew my Honey Nut Cheerios all over my computer screen!! :lol:
Alocer7138r wrote:
Who wrote the songs on old slayer albums?

Slayer.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:38 pm 

abbath sounds like dave mustaine trying too hard imitate karl sanders.

JesusShaves5643
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:39 pm 

I never knew Megadeth did a Nile cover.
Alocer7138r wrote:
Who wrote the songs on old slayer albums?

Slayer.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:40 pm 

Dan Campan, the dickhead from Waking the Cadaver has recorded what i believe to be the worst vocals in the history of extreme music.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:43 pm 

Geoff Tate's performance in recent Queensryche efforts is cringe-inducing not really because the singing is outright bad, but because he's Geoff Tate and the stuff he's doing now is incredibly weak compared to what he used to be capable of. I mean, just listen to their new cover album. Dio's a goddamn baritone (this is nothing against Dio, it's just that his voice is much lower than Geoff Tate at his prime was), and Geoff Tate still chokes on the high (in relative terms) notes of "Neon Knights". Not to mention the expressiveness he had on The Warning is gone too.

And this, my friends, is why smoking is bad (unless you're Bobby Blitz, anyway).

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:03 pm 

Any absurdly high pitched power metal Hansi Kursch wannabe. Seriously guys, if you don't have testicles you just shouldn't be doing metal.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:05 pm 

Most high pitched style deathcore singers piss me off. They are so annoying, it's cringe worthy.
Um, black metal singers. I really don't like shrieking too much.
And some burpy style, frog vocals. Mostly in Brutal-(insert genre) stuff. Demilich for example.
And most Japanese singers.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:11 pm 

While I think Killian is a pretty crappy singer, he does have his moments, especially on "Serial Killer".

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:11 pm 

ENKC wrote:
Any absurdly high pitched power metal Hansi Kursch wannabe. Seriously guys, if you don't have testicles you just shouldn't be doing metal.

Tell that to Jo Bench. :p

On the topics of ballsless wailing and Geoff Tate, though, people who try to be in the James LaBrie/Geoff Tate school of vocals and fail irritate me.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next