Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:33 pm 

The title is taken from the quote that Nergal later uses in the lyrics. It comes from Liber al Vel Legis which works as the centrals cripture of Thelema. Written by or through, as thelemites would have it, Aleister Crowley in 1904

The original read as:

"17. Hear me, ye people of sighing!
The sorrows of pain and regret
Are left to the dead and the dying,
The folk that not know me as yet.

18. These are dead, these fellows; they feel not. We are not for the poor and sad: the lords of the earth are our kinsfolk.

19. Is a God to live in a dog? No! but the highest are of us. They shall rejoice, our chosen: who sorroweth is not of us.

20. Beauty and strength, leaping laughter and delicious languor, force and fire, are of us.

21. We have nothing with the outcast and the unfit: let them die in their misery. For they feel not. Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world. Think not, o king, upon that lie: That Thou Must Die: verily thou shalt not die, but live. Now let it be understood: If the body of the King dissolve, he shall remain in pure ecstasy for ever. Nuit! Hadit! Ra-Hoor-Khuit! The Sun, Strength & Sight, Light; these are for the servants of the Star & the Snake."

Crowleys own commentary to these verses can be found online. It's deeper than what the surface might reveal (as per usual with Crowley). I'm sure Nergal is very much aware. He seems like a well read person on these topics. https://hermetic.com/legis/new-comment/chapter-ii

As for the song. I overall like it. It does however feel slightly disjointed at times. I often like the inclusion of children's singing in extreme metal. I think it adds nice contrast. In this case I don't think it worked very well however. Still looking forward to hearing the rest. :-)
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:35 pm 

Excited for the tour! Behemoth, At The Gates and WITTR is a great lineup.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:55 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/behemoths-nergal-discusses-i-loved-you-at-your-darkest-artwork-in-new-video/

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:13 pm 

That's a pretty shit name for a black metal album, but they've proven themselves to be one of the best. God=Dog? wtf? Lol

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 am 

Wolves ov Siberia:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:46 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Wolves ov Siberia:

Cool song!

Yazid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:26 pm 

What you think about Wolves ov Siberia? I've read very different opinions about it.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:12 pm 

Definitely better than God=Dog, par for the course for most of their discography.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 pm 

I think the drumming is definitely interesting, especially in the later part. The main riff is decent and there's a The Satanist vibe present, as is that apparently more symphonic edge that was on God=Dog, though I'm not sure what to think of that yet. I'll have to judge the whole book and not just the cover.

Yazid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:32 pm 

I loved God=Dog. It sounds like a The Satanist mix with Evangelion. I feel Wolves ov Siberia a little "meh", I mean, it can be just another song of the album and the video could be for any metal song.

androdion wrote:
I think the drumming is definitely interesting, especially in the later part. The main riff is decent and there's a The Satanist vibe present, as is that apparently more symphonic edge that was on God=Dog, though I'm not sure what to think of that yet. I'll have to judge the whole book and not just the cover.

Agree! I don't even like listen singles or pre-releases. But with Behemoth is different because they filmed a video for those songs.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:41 am 

what

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:59 pm 

lol they are really doubling down after the who,e polish church yelling at them eh?

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:09 pm 

They do like being media whores don't they?!

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:03 pm 

Pretty weird but it's all in good fun so who really cares. Good for them for entering whatever ventures they deem possible with their success.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:16 am 

Runko wrote:
what

Nergal is a fucking genius, that's WHAT!

This made me laugh my ass off! "For the first time in human history, the cross serves a purpose." :lol:

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:13 pm 

Hilarious! :-D Better than these heels from Dawn of Ashes' video: Image

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:04 pm 

Osore wrote:
Hilarious! :-D Better than these heels from Dawn of Ashes' video: Image

Whew lad that song is absolute shit. It's like an even shittier post-Where the Corpses Sink Forever Carach Angren.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:21 pm 

HideYourHole wrote:
Whew lad that song is absolute shit. It's like an even shittier post-Where the Corpses Sink Forever Carach Angren.

Beauty is in the eye of beholder (or in the ear of a listener, shall I say ;)). I like it as a shock rock track and I don't expect for majority to like it on this metal forum.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:07 pm 

Osore wrote:
HideYourHole wrote:

Beauty is in the eye of beholder (or in the ear of a listener, shall I say ;)). I like it as a shock rock track and I don't expect for majority to like it on this metal forum.

Well, they have a band page on Metal Archives. I wouldn't expect pretty much anyone to like it considering reviews on their recent albums on sites like rateyourmusic.com.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:13 am 

Dawn of Ashes' "metal" albums suck, but their early industrial/aggrotech (or whatever the hell the genre is called) stuff is actually really good!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:06 am 

This second song is better but still nothing great. I miss some elements which could make the an standing one. I think it Will be a just OK album but hopefull I am wrong .

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:33 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Dawn of Ashes' "metal" albums suck, but their early industrial/aggrotech (or whatever the hell the genre is called) stuff is actually really good!

Then you probably like Psyclon Nine and Sarcophagic (https://sarcophagic.bandcamp.com/) and would benefit from checking this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE1ZGCaEgPk.
Yesterday I found another fabulous song:
For me it's the opposite, I like late Dawn of Ashes, except for the recent LP. For example, this version is much better than the one from Crypt Injection:

When it comes to Behemoth, it's fine, but nothing special. It would have been fantastic if they released these two songs and the previous album 8 years ago when I started listening to black metal. Now I prefer Mgła.

ADreamOfWolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:56 am 

Don't really care for this one. Wolves is still my favorite one so far.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:04 pm 

I really like this song. I’m not as impressed with he visual for this one but I really like the song. Wolves is probably still my favorite fo the 3, still...

I have to say, I’ve really liked all 3 songs that have come out so far - looking forward to listening to the whole thing on Friday!

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:26 pm 

Well that was different.

I don't like it as much as Wolves but I feel it's a more coherent song than God=Dog, even if it's also a more dramatic departure from their usual style. If the singles indicate the degree of variety we can expect on the album, then it could be an interesting ride.

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:44 pm 

I actually do dig that one. I'm not usually a fan of Behemoth, even if I find Nergal very amusing.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:03 am 

ADreamOfWolves wrote:

Don't really care for this one. Wolves is still my favorite one so far.

A good song but its a Little bit predictable, I was expecting something different for the last part but the ending is a little bit underwhelming.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:56 pm 

Is Nergal still playing the hipster or has he given up on that now?

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:31 pm 

Hard to say.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:50 pm 

Ha ha. Good Dog Almighty that's beyond cringeworthy. Maybe he's trying to impress that pop star he used to go out with. Or the guys at the salon. Sorry - barbershop.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:14 pm 

It's just a guy working out and staying healthy. That's cringeworthy to you? That's pretty cringe, dude.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 pm 

So we all know now that Conan Troutman is probably a fat neckbeard who eats at least 4 bags of Doritos each day based on that comment.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:41 am 

Honestly I've always been kind of surprised at how down-to-earth and genuine Nergal actually is as a person, considering the way he's always run his PR with that arrogant & pretentious attitude typical of black metal (that hilarious cringe-inducing bonus DVD that came with "The Satanist"). But he's one of my favorite metal musicians to watch interviews of, simply because he's such an intelligent guy and very passionate about metal, but also willing to joke around and doesn't take his image too seriously and not concerned with what anyone thinks of him. In that sense, I think he's the opposite of a hipster...

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:56 am 

Subrick wrote:
So we all know now that Conan Troutman is probably a fat neckbeard who eats at least 4 bags of Doritos each day based on that comment.

I'm a 5 10" 129 lbs cycling addict. Don't think I have ever eaten a Dorito to be honest. Why would I?

I had never seen that clip of him working out so my comments about him being a hipster are nowt to do with that.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:56 am 

It leaked already! :oh shit:

PS: I will say, this album will be extremely polarizing! Hear it for yourselves.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:08 pm 

Haven't heard it yet, but the more it's in line with Bartzabebzbebel, the better. I want them to branch out and do something new and the first two tracks just sounded like Satanist cast offs to me.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:11 pm 

I get reminded of Tau Cross more often than not, but it's an album that really has to be heard so I don't want to go too much into detail. Be surprised is what I can say, either you'll think Nergal has lost it or that he's a fucking genius. I don't think anyone can remain indifferent to this album to be honest.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:52 pm 

Giving it a listen now. Yikes, I will be skipping that intro track during subsequent listens :ugh:

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:36 pm 

The album is OK I guess. If it had less songs and the best parts were longer it would be better.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:20 pm 

k311250 wrote:
The album is OK I guess. If it had less songs and the best parts were longer it would be better.

If the whole album was the best parts it would be good. Big if true.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next