Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:12 pm 

Five_Nails wrote:
I love Iron Maiden's "Powerslave", every song, except for "Back in the Village". "Flash of the Blade" rocks, "The Duelists" is so great that I forget Dickenson sings in it those solos are just magnificent, and then you want to hang yourself when you hear something as bad as "Back in the Village" right before such an awesome title track. I just don't understand, with all the caliber and quality music on that album, how did they still throw in that awful song? They didn't need to pad the album with any filler but they still did and whoever let that one through has worn out many a skip button on plenty of boom boxes.

Agreed with skipping "Back in the Village". Nothing about that song grabs me and the chorus just comes off as a mess to me.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:53 pm 

Metallica - "To Live is to Die", unlike their other instrumentals this one is quite long and boring. No one probably give two shits about it if it wasn't one of the last songs Cliff Burton co-wrote for the band.

Megadeth - "Sweating Bullets", simply the worst track the band has ever done if you ask me.

Megadeth - "Captive Honor", the second worst track that the band has ever done. The spoken word part mimicking a court room decision is completely cringe-worthy.

Temple of the Dog - "Say Hello 2 Heaven", non-metal. Yeah, this is one of the two main tracks written for Andrew Wood which became basis for this project. But it's also sooo long and the single "Hunger Strike" comes after this so the urge to skip it is overwhelming.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:04 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
Tragedies Blows at Horizon off At the Heart of Winter album. Really don't know why I have such a dislike for that song.

You're nuts!

Zerberus wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
I will almost always skip ... Manowar.

Leave the hall!

When it comes to Manowar's debut I always skip "Death Tone". Song's fucking boring. It's "Metal Daze" that always starts that album for me since that song is TOPS!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:16 pm 

"Desperate Angel" by X Japan on their album Jealousy. At this point in their career they were trying to break into the US market (and pretty much failed). This is especially obvious by the overwhelming amount of English lyrics on the album. But Desperate Angel makes the best argument for their desire to become mainstream. It's a commercially friendly glam song that sounds nothing like X Japan (and it's even clearer since "Miscast", a song of the same genre, plays before Desperate Angel, except Miscast sounds much more inspired and has X Japan's signature style). I re listened to it recently and it's not as bad as I had remembered, but I'm still going to skip it.

Also, whenever I listen to Unia by Sonata Arctica, I skip every song except "Caleb" and MAYBE "The Harvest" or "Paid in Full".
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:51 pm 

Can I Play with Madness.

It doesn't matter if I'm listening to SSOASS, or a live album, whenever that song starts playing I immediately skip it.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:48 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
At the Fathomless Depths by Dissection is the first one that comes to mind: i've got nothing against that track, but starting an album directly with Night's Blood is just too appealing! :lol:

I agree with this in theory, but Fathomless Depths is the perfect setup to both the song and the album.

OzzyApu wrote:
When it comes to Manowar's debut I always skip "Death Tone". Song's fucking boring. It's "Metal Daze" that always starts that album for me since that song is TOPS!

This as well.

I always skip Quest For Fire and Prodigal Son. Easily the two worst songs of classic Maiden.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:33 am 

''Invaders'' from Iron Maiden. Especially on the part where is sing ''invader''.

''Can I Play with Madness''. It's just too cheesy.

I skip really often ''changes'' by black Sabbath. It's too boring. the same thing with fx that comes right after.

''Teacher's Pet'' from Venom. They tried to be funny, but it fail miserably. It's just not my type of humour.

''Danse Macabre'' by Celtic Frost. All songs and interludes with a circus, grotesque or deranged sort of feeling, I tend to skip it. That's why I skipped all Marilyn Manson's and similar discographies.

'' Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills'' by Pantera. I find more enjoyment to listen to Anal cunt than to this trainwreck of a song.

I Ain't Superstitious (Willie Dixon cover) by Megadeth. If I listen to that cover, it instantly kill the momentum of the album.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 am 

Perhaps that Drink and be Merry shite on Amebix's Arise!. You'd def need a couple of drinks to enjoy it, I reckon.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:07 pm 

Immortal666 wrote:
Metallica - "To Live is to Die", unlike their other instrumentals this one is quite long and boring. No one probably give two shits about it if it wasn't one of the last songs Cliff Burton co-wrote for the band.

Megadeth - "Sweating Bullets", simply the worst track the band has ever done if you ask me.

Megadeth - "Captive Honor", the second worst track that the band has ever done. The spoken word part mimicking a court room decision is completely cringe-worthy.

Temple of the Dog - "Say Hello 2 Heaven", non-metal. Yeah, this is one of the two main tracks written for Andrew Wood which became basis for this project. But it's also sooo long and the single "Hunger Strike" comes after this so the urge to skip it is overwhelming.

I love all those songs (well, captive honor is ok). To live is to die has some awesome acoustic work. Say hello 2 heaven has such awesome singing from Cornell.... they play that one a ton on the radio around here - I thought that was one of the big singles from that album.

Another vote for quest for fire here. Also take on the world and united by priest. Ugh.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:10 pm 

Immortal666 wrote:

Whoa. I love that song. The WAVES of nostalgia wash over me the second that intro starts.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:32 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
ambientsorrow wrote:
Tragedies Blows at Horizon off At the Heart of Winter album. Really don't know why I have such a dislike for that song.

You're nuts!

+1.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:45 pm 

lost_wanderer wrote:
I skip really often ''changes'' by black Sabbath. It's too boring. the same thing with fx that comes right after.

See, I wouldn't skip Changes. I think it's a really poor dirge of a song - certainly not what you'd want to bring up if you were trying to convince someone metal can do good ballads - but it's intrinsic to the flow of Vol. 4. Without it there's not a whole album left.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:54 pm 

idunnosomename wrote:
lost_wanderer wrote:

See, I wouldn't skip Changes. I think it's a really poor dirge of a song - certainly not what you'd want to bring up if you were trying to convince someone metal can do good ballads - but it's intrinsic to the flow of Vol. 4. Without it there's not a whole album left.

Yup, this is the case with many of these songs in this thread. I like stuff like Changes, despite that it isn't the best song on its own, because it was Sabbath just experimenting and figuring shit out and the album flows well as it is.

Same thing for the Maiden fillers - those albums aren't the work of bands with 30 years of metal history behind them, and you get a few arena-style sing-along fillers. I don't think they really affect the albums' quality.

HelloCthulhu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:11 pm 

Every single interlude with sex sounds off a Type O Negative album. That shit is just embarrassing.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:35 pm 

[quote="EmpyrealI skip really often ''changes'' by black Sabbath. It's too boring. the same thing with fx that comes right after. [/quote]
See, I wouldn't skip Changes. I think it's a really poor dirge of a song - certainly not what you'd want to bring up if you were trying to convince someone metal can do good ballads - but it's intrinsic to the flow of Vol. 4. Without it there's not a whole album left.[/quote]

Yup, this is the case with many of these songs in this thread. I like stuff like Changes, despite that it isn't the best song on its own, because it was Sabbath just experimenting and figuring shit out and the album flows well as it is.

Same thing for the Maiden fillers - those albums aren't the work of bands with 30 years of metal history behind them, and you get a few arena-style sing-along fillers. I don't think they really affect the albums' quality.[/quote]

So very true.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:21 pm 

I don't usually skip tracks, but I always, always, and I mean always turn off my CD player after "Bleeding Wrists" on Myrkskog's "Superior Massacre" CD, thus skipping that outro :lol:. Granted, anyone who owns that album probably does the same.

Another one...I rarely ever play Obituary's "Back from the Dead" but yeah...I have no time for "Bullituary" :lol:. To me, the album ends after the title track.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:32 pm 

true_death wrote:
I don't usually skip tracks, but I always, always, and I mean always turn off my CD player after "Bleeding Wrists" on Myrkskog's "Superior Massacre" CD, thus skipping that outro :lol:. Granted, anyone who owns that album probably does the same.

Ha that reminds me of the completely ill-fitting closer on their first album. I remember reading an interview where someone from the band said the label demanded another song so they tacked on this lunkheaded electro-industrial plodding thing after eight tracks of ferocious light speed black/death metal. Definitely another skipper, even if from a phenomenal band.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:57 am 

I'm surprised I'm the first person to mention "Escape" in this thread. What a turd sitting on an otherwise near-flawless album.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:50 am 

When I play Peace of Mind, I jam "Quest for Fire" just long enough to hear the part about dinosaurs. Combined with Bruce's delivery, it always makes me laugh.

Then I hit skip hard enough to cause an magnitude 7 earthquake.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:14 am 

Cynical wrote:
I'm surprised I'm the first person to mention "Escape" in this thread. What a turd sitting on an otherwise near-flawless album.

We have a winner: i don't hate the song so much, but 99% of the time i jump to Creeping Death in few seconds

A similar case is the macaroni song on Never Neverland: decent album, but that song provides an unwelcome change of pace

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:45 am 

A lot of mentions of "Quest for Fire". Always liked that one (partly for the novelty of the opening lines). Great solo in that song too.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:50 am 

Some odd choices in this thread. (Can I Play With Madness, Death Tone, Danse Macabre? First two are great songs, DM is one of the creepiest interludes I've ever heard on a metal record)

Surprised no one has mentioned "Feeling Free Again" by Manilla Road. That's one of my favorites from Crystal Logic. Every review I've seen for that record on here people usually take a big shit all over that song, for whatever reason.

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:50 pm 

Back in the Village? Quest for fire?

Those two songs NEVER get skipped! BitV is the only other song on Powerslve that reaches Aces High type speed and QfF, yeah the lyrics are corny af but the music more than makes up for it, imo of course.

I totally agree with whoever said The Apparition and Weekend Warrior. They fucking suck along with Fear is the Key. I wish those three turds weren't included on the album.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:27 pm 

Off Nightwish's otherwise amazing Dark Passion Play, I always skip The Islander and 7 Days to the Wolves. They don't fit on the album and I hate Marco anyway.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:52 pm 

The title track on Mercyul Fate's Melissa. Just not into it at all and it's one of my all time favorite albums.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:54 pm 

Headless420 wrote:
The title track on Mercyul Fate's Melissa. Just not into it at all and it's one of my all time favorite albums.

Jesus Christ, that's like one of the best metal ballads ever. Also no other track on the album would make a better closer.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:13 pm 

metalistkrieg wrote:
I totally agree with whoever said The Apparition and Weekend Warrior. They fucking suck along with Fear is the Key. I wish those three turds weren't included on the album.

They still aren't worse than Chains of Misery, probably one of Iron Maiden's weakest songs.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:15 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
metalistkrieg wrote:

They still aren't worse than Chains of Misery, probably one of Iron Maiden's weakest songs.

A large chunk of Fear of the Dark is just terrible, worthless crap and easily Maiden's weakest material. It just also happens to have a few good songs too.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:40 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
metalistkrieg wrote:

I'm not convinced The Apparition is even a finished song. It doesn't have a chorus, memorable riff, or any semblance of a decent tune anywhere in it.

Things like Quest for Fire are just kind of mid-paced and predictable songs, and I can see why you might say "fuck this" but at least they're competent.

I really like Fear is the Key actually... It definitely has riffs. I think it's the vocals that put people off. But it's an angry, dark, ugly song and I appreciate it as a unique cut for Maiden.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:44 pm 

Headless420 wrote:
Melissa

lost_wanderer wrote:
Invaders

Immortal666 wrote:
Say Hello 2 Heaven

Wilytank wrote:
Dead Skin Mask

JasonDCalvin wrote:
Frayed Ends of Sanity

lordcatfish wrote:
She Burned Me Down

ambientsorrow wrote:
Tragedies Blows at Horizon

Spoiler: show

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:27 pm 

The song ''Iron Gland'' from Alice in Chains. It just destroy the mood of the album.

Postludium and En stram lukt av kristent blod from Gorgoroth. It's just annoying groaning noises. Most of the time, I just skipped Possessed (By Satan) too. Slow, boring with cheesy lyrics.

jrod916
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:28 am 

Riggs wrote:
That one synth track on Decapitated's Winds of Creation. Feels so out of place.

Yup, that song pretty much instantly killed my mood the first time I listened to Winds of Creation. Also, the "Mandatory Suicide" cover from Slayer at the end of that album. I have no interest in covers in any genre, they're almost always worse than the originals, and a band like Decapitated especially has no business playing slayer.

While we're talking about Decapitated, "Spheres of Madness" on Nihility. Was my favorite song ever the first time I heard it, but now it's just dreadfully boring. Every other song on that album besides maybe Symmetry of Zero and Suffer the Children (another two boring tracks I almost always skip, just doesn't stick to my mind at all) is just stellar death metal, Spheres of madness is just really good deathcore basically. The chorus riff is decent but it doesn't justify the "chugga chugga" in the rest of the song, even if the guitar tone on that album is one of the best in history. I honestly resent the song, because it's just absurdly mediocre and yet it's undeservingly the most popular song on their most classic album. On Bandcamp it's even the star "preview" track, and it's also the first track when you push the play button, which is bullshit because it skips a whole 5 songs just to put a spotlight on shitty spheres of madness. And literally all 5 songs before it are better, some of them are even pretty much masterpieces of the genre.

I also always skip "Frenzy" on Passages into Deformity by Defeated Sanity. lordcatfish said he programmed his itunes to start satellite 15 on the snare beat for the next song in the album, I've done the same thing to frenzy with the growl that leads into Martyrium. Frenzy has one really good part, where Konstantin Lühring does this fuckin crazy growl with a banshee screech wheeze thing that just sounds sick, and then the song goes into this passage with this super technical legato played riff to the beat of a nicely syncopated snare and it sounds nuts, but it's super short. The rest of the song is a little too aptly named, it's very muddy and loud and the riffs are too buried underneath the blastbeats and growling, with no real break to let them shine. Too noisy with not enough chunky riffs to balance it.

Finally Lamb of God's "Subtle Arts of Murder and Persuasion" on New American Gospel. Has this guitar lead that is just super fucking high pitched and annoying. Basically the into to the song is screechy, grating, and loud at the same time, and the scale and vibe used, it really sounds like a sound effect on scooby doo or something. Never had the patience to finish the song.

I honestly just have a reeeally short attention span. It's a miracle I've managed to stay a fan of a genre of music so demanding of effort and patience for so long. If a song doesn't immediately fail to catch me, I'll skip around for a bit, and if there's not a single riff that I could get stuck in my head, it gets skipped and not played again until I'm bored enough to give it another shot.
    Hate Forest – Purity
    Lux Absentia – Antignosis
    Yith – Dread
    Decapitated – Nihility
    Mgła – Excercises in Futility
    Defeated Sanity – Passages into Deformity, Disposal of the Dead
    Altarage - Nihl

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:36 am 

lost_wanderer wrote:
Postludium and En stram lukt av kristent blod from Gorgoroth. It's just annoying groaning noises. Most of the time, I just skipped Possessed (By Satan) too. Slow, boring with cheesy lyrics.

When it comes to Gorgoroth I skip that entire album. Almost all of it sucks.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:52 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
lost_wanderer wrote:

When it comes to Gorgoroth I skip that entire album. Almost all of it sucks.

I agree that it is the weakest of the first three gorgoroth records and quite uneven, but at the same time it has the band's eponymous, GREATEST song ever.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:30 pm 

lost_wanderer wrote:
The song ''Iron Gland'' from Alice in Chains. It just destroy the mood of the album.

Yep. And the back story behind it is stupid as shit.

"I kept playing "Iron Man" and everyone hated it so much I shoved it on the album".

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:49 pm 

Five_Nails wrote:
I love Iron Maiden's "Powerslave", every song, except for "Back in the Village". "Flash of the Blade" rocks, "The Duelists" is so great that I forget Dickenson sings in it those solos are just magnificent, and then you want to hang yourself when you hear something as bad as "Back in the Village" right before such an awesome title track. I just don't understand, with all the caliber and quality music on that album, how did they still throw in that awful song? They didn't need to pad the album with any filler but they still did and whoever let that one through has worn out many a skip button on plenty of boom boxes.

Literally one of my favourite Maiden tunes. Couldn't imagine Powerslave without that one.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:18 am 

The lame one two punch of you don't have to be old to be wise and living after midnight off of British Steel obviously. Would have been a classic if not for those two tracks. Evening Star and take on the world ruining what would have been another classic. The latter one of if not the worst Priest songs under Halford's tenure.

Changes lame changes. Is rock n roll doctor the worst ozzy Sabbath? Definitely maybe. Of course Breakout on Never say Die. High School band practice.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:59 am 

Immortal666 wrote:

That's utter rubbish! The first is heavy, with enough humour, signature changes and slick solos to make it alright. And, 'Captive' has good riffs/good song craft after the bullshit spoken word part.

Bad songs by Megadeth are 'Burn', 'Don't Turn Your Back', along with the rest of Super Collider. Take away the recycled songs from 13 and you have 7-8 shitty Johnny K. co-written songs which belonged in the studio and should never have been released; shit like 'Fast Lane', 'Wrecker', 'Deadly Night Shade'. That's the Megasdeth which sucks!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:12 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
The lame one two punch of you don't have to be old to be wise and living after midnight off of British Steel obviously. Would have been a classic if not for those two tracks. Evening Star and take on the world ruining what would have been another classic. The latter one of if not the worst Priest songs under Halford's tenure.

Changes lame changes. Is rock n roll doctor the worst ozzy Sabbath? Definitely maybe. Of course Breakout on Never say Die. High School band practice.

I like Break Out a lot, but I can see why others (metal fans in particular) wouldn't.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:09 am 

I think Breakout is neat for what it is. Over to You has to be the lamest Ozzy-era track (And maybe even overall) for me. The songwriting is phoned in and the vocals are at their most half-assed.

Also seconding Take on the World. I may not be crazy about Hell Bent for Leather but I'd rate it higher if that song wasn't on it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next