Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:56 pm 

Pippin_Took wrote:
Totally agree that John Sykes in Whitesnake is legendary. Though Still of the Night would get all the plaudits from me, just for that monster riff.

Steve Vai, on the other hand :ugh:

Yeah I don't even know what that was. Coverdale had a bad day or something? He fired the whole band and it pretty much killed everything.

Sykes was so damn right for that band. I agree he was out of place in Thin Lizzy.

Is Steve Vai right for *ANY* band?

Sami in Kreator is pretty tame :). I never really noticed how out of place he is though, because I focus on Mille and Ventor when I watch them anyway.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:17 am 

soul_schizm wrote:

A band consisting of Steve Vai on guitar, Steve Vai playing the other neck of an oversized JEM, Steve Vai playing the third neck of that ugly triple-neck guitar he has, fronted by Steve Vai's soul patch.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:32 am 

Riffs wrote:
I think Hammet did a fine job in early Metallica but I can see the argument that, as Mustaine's influence wore off, the band became worse. It's not clear-cut but it may seem that way.

I'm one of those who agrees. James Hetfield wrote some really good songs but definitely not enough to sustain such a long career. That's why they have so few albums considering how long they're been around.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:38 am 

Michael Amott was all wrong for the one Candlemass album he was on, which was Dactylis Glomerata. Worst Candlemass album by far.

veyita88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:55 am 

Quote:
I think Hammet did a fine job in early Metallica but I can see the argument that, as Mustaine's influence wore off, the band became worse. It's not clear-cut but it may seem that way.

Mustaine just wrote a few songs, and the songs that Metallica wrote themselves are as good if not better than some of Dave.

Dave obiously was important for early Metallica, but lets not give him more credit than he deserves. Cliff Burton or James where more important, imo. Dave could be replaced, but after Cliff died the band has not been the same.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:23 am 

Don't look at it in such black and white terms such as who officially wrote what. As the best musician and older, more experienced member of a young band, you'd be surprised at how much influence you can have, in all things such as riffing style, songwriting tips and tricks, what bands to check out, what kind of songs to learn to get your chops up.

veyita88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:36 am 

Im not saying that Dave wasnt important or influential, he certainly is, but some people kind of take it too far, some even say that they couldnt write a single good song without Mustaine wich obiously isnt true. Also claiming that Dave invented Thrash and stuff than cant be proved.

Im sure that they wrote most of the stuff since RTL (with the obvious exceptions) without his help.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:11 am 

soul_schizm wrote:

Who else should have played with David Lee Roth? :scratch:

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:12 am 

Kirk Hammet is to me one of the greatest guitarists ever. His solos on Ride the Lightning are electric. Especially like his solos on Fight Fire with Fire and the title track. Janick Gers is good live at least, I'll give him that.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:59 pm 

Zakk Wylde was wrong for Ozzy. I think even Sykes could have been way bétter, at least he was/is way more trad heavy metal in style than the groovy shit Zakk brought.

People can't really blame to the non main songwriters for a bands direction. Megadeth is shite cause Dave can't write a proper song anymore. Like it or not, Metallica has always been Hetfield and Ulrich. Kirk has contributed for sure but we know who brings the riffs and the structures. I even think about Kirk as a totally replaceable guy.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:28 pm 

ScandalfTheShite wrote:
Janick Gers is good live at least, I'll give him that.

I also kind of came around on him. He's been around long enough that I guess I'm just used to him being there now. Agreed, his flailing around live is fun to watch.

I also enjoy some of the songs he has writing credit on, such as Dream of Mirrors and Out of the Silent Planet.

scourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:16 pm 

Shannon Hamm on Death's TSOP. After playing with amazingly awesome lead guitarists, I don't know what went inside Chuck's mind (maybe the tumor? lol) hiring that dude. I can only imagine how Koelble, Murphy, Masvidal or LaRocque could have made the album SO much better.

Also, Scott Clendenin. Fuck Scott Clendenin.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:20 pm 

About Clendenin: he wasn't the one chosen for Chuck to the bass position at first. He asked Di Giorgio to join once again but he had to refuse cause at the time they lived too far away from each other, so he helped him to demo some songs and also made some 'ghost' production of the album. Some of the basslines played by Scott were done by Steve, it seems. You can find even some Symbolic tracks demoed with him on bass as well.

CrustyMusty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:48 pm 

I suppose I do not have a gripe with any one Guitar player, but the combination of Jack Owen and Pat O' Brian Cannibal Corpse always seemed lame and dull to me. The only release I've really gotten into was the worm infested EP. So far, I can get into any other album (other than Tomb of the Mutilated, I like the songs live, just don't like the production or Barne's voice) by any other combination of guitar players; My favorite Combo being Rusay and Owen

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:16 am 

controlledbleeding wrote:
Metallica obviously...

Obviously not...

"You make it easy."

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:14 am 

Vivian Cambell in Def Leppard? he played some cool metal on Dio's first 3 albums then started playing pop rock with Def Leppard.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:31 am 

scourge wrote:
Shannon Hamm on Death's TSOP. After playing with amazingly awesome lead guitarists, I don't know what went inside Chuck's mind (maybe the tumor? lol) hiring that dude. I can only imagine how Koelble, Murphy, Masvidal or LaRocque could have made the album SO much better.

While I agree that Hamm is a much inferior lead guitarist to the previous ones, but a different guy in the second lead guitar wouldn't have saved/affected the album much. It was doomed from the start with its Control Denied-turned-pseudo-Death stylings.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:32 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
scourge wrote:

While I agree that Hamm is a much inferior lead guitarist to the previous ones, but a different guy in the second lead guitar wouldn't have saved/affected the album much. It was doomed from the start with its Control Denied-turned-pseudo-Death stylings.

Agreed. I just don't like this album, it meanders way too much for me and not in any progressive sort of way. A different lead guitarist couldn't have saved it. It lacks the punch of the early stuff and the long bits aren't half as interesting as Vacant Planets. It's not the solos that's the downside, IMO.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:01 pm 

I can't believe my ears... The Sound Of Perseverance was despite!?!?!?

Ahahahah and I was thinking I'm the only one who consider total crap that album...

Religious worshipping of TSOP by 99,9% of the metal world is one of the greatest mistery on earth.

"You make it easy."

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:09 pm 

I can see why some people like certain SONGS from the album, or certain parts of certain songs. But even songs that I like such as Spirit Crusher waaaay overstay their welcome.

Manolete
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:21 pm 

What about Bernemann in Sodom? I saw him this year and to be honest I don't think he actually fits in and his song writing isn't that good, even though he's been with them for like 15 years. Never really liked his style.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:34 pm 

Manolete wrote:
What about Bernemann in Sodom? I saw him this year and to be honest I don't think he actually fits in and his song writing isn't that good, even though he's been with them for like 15 years. Never really liked his style.

I'd agree. From the live stuff I've heard, he's decent enough, but his writing's been sub-par for a long time. M-16 and Till Death Do We Unite are decent, but the rest of their stuff with Bernemann has been boring. He's too melodic for Sodom, I think, he needs to kick more arse or Onkel Tom needs to fire him.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:39 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
I can't believe my ears... The Sound Of Perseverance was despite!?!?!?

Ahahahah and I was thinking I'm the only one who consider total crap that album...

Religious worshipping of TSOP by 99,9% of the metal world is one of the greatest mistery on earth.

It could be a Dream Theater album with harsher vocals.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:41 pm 

Nah, it's more wanky than DT.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:10 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Nah, it's more wanky than DT.

For sure mate, DT never sounded wanky as TSOP was.

P.S. Ue' paisa'!!!

"You make it easy."

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:35 pm 

Is that Neapolitan dialect? If so, I still definitely don't understand it!

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:41 pm 

Well, chalk me up as a fan of The Sound of Perseverance. It's not my favourite from Death, and I can certainly agree with the complaints that the songs drag (they really do)-- but I still enjoyed it and thought it had some pretty kickass riffs.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:29 pm 

TSOP has some really killer riffs. Weird to see it getting so much flak after all these years. Scavenger and Spirit Crusher alone are worthy of having a copy at home.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:43 pm 

i dont think the riffs are the problem on tsop. A lot of the riffs on that are similar to riffs chuck wrote since the first death album at least. No i dont the way how they are arranged is a much bigger issue.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:12 pm 

It's weird seeing people labeling him as a newbie and bitching about Sami in Kreator. That dude's been there for over a decade. Why complain now? Even as they just released their strongest album in a decade? Kreator has been playing super melodic thrash since the beginning. Well, just after Pleasure To Kill and even that has some melodic riffing on there.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:11 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Is that Neapolitan dialect? If so, I still definitely don't understand it!

Maronna mih' 'e quant 'si permalos, rilasst nu' poc fra'...

"You make it easy."

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:31 am 

Boh, non lo so. Di dove sei, Lions?

I guess I am complaining just now, Faster, but I reckon he's a poor fit when it comes to playing the old material live.

Regarding Death, I often feel that Chuck was outclassed as a lead guitarist but the others he hired (Murphy, LaRoque [duh], Masvidal in particular). There's some poxy solos from him on Symbolic, for example.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:46 am 

Sono di Salerno, ti volevo solo salutare visto che sei di Napoli :)

"You make it easy."

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:40 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Kreator has been playing super melodic thrash since the beginning. Well, just after Pleasure To Kill and even that has some melodic riffing on there.

COMPLETELY wrong, I thought I made this clear enough on the previous page. Extreme Aggression and Coma of Souls are straight up THRASH METAL albums full of straight up THRASH METAL riffs, certainly no Enemy of God melodic shit there.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:48 pm 

Capital LETTERS add CREDIBILITY.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:01 pm 

Something like "Some Pain will Last" is certainly a lot more melodious than many thrash contemporaries. THere were also plenty of straightforward melodic lead/solos on that album.

Anyway, as already said, i kind alike The Finn in kreator. I have time for most of this band's work, I now find; took me a while to come round and I still think an album like Outcast is a bit on the boring side...certainly less interesting than what they're doing now!...but even that one has some memorable and heavy tunes on it.

Tomcat is right about SOund of Perseverance. There are little wanky bridges between riffs there for little reason and every song goes through its paces and then winds back to the beginning (or nearly the beginning) and repeats itself. It gets to the point where halfway through each song you've pretty much heard everything good it has to offer. Oh, and then there's the shitty Priest cover...

but I'm sure Chuck hired those lead guitarists precisely because he knew they outclassed him.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:21 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Tomcat is right about SOund of Perseverance. There are little wanky bridges between riffs there for little reason and every song goes through its paces and then winds back to the beginning (or nearly the beginning) and repeats itself. It gets to the point where halfway through each song you've pretty much heard everything good it has to offer. Oh, and then there's the shitty Priest cover...

but I'm sure Chuck hired those lead guitarists precisely because he knew they outclassed him.

I know The Sound of Perseverance did have a few extra riffs than usual but doesn't that structure describe pretty much every Death song ever? I get why people don't like it for the more melodic tone or the higher pitched vocals, but Chuck's songwriting method didn't change all that much over the years. He may have tweaked the presentation a couple times but the blueprints are about the same.

AgentSteel_Razor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:22 am 

Testament sounds incredibly lost without Alex Skolnick. I love James Murphy but The Gathering is still questionable in parts although Low is much better. And Eric doing everything on Demonic...what a crappy record! Stay the fuck away, Gene Hoglan. I'm with marktheviktor on that one; "GIMME BACK MY MONEY!"

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:04 am 

WaywardSon wrote:

I will not dignify that with a response.

Abominatrix wrote:
Something like "Some Pain will Last" is certainly a lot more melodious than many thrash contemporaries. THere were also plenty of straightforward melodic lead/solos on that album.

Anyway, as already said, i kind alike The Finn in kreator. I have time for most of this band's work, I now find; took me a while to come round and I still think an album like Outcast is a bit on the boring side...certainly less interesting than what they're doing now!...but even that one has some memorable and heavy tunes on it.

Well there's also a melodic intro/outro in Terror Zone, that must mean both Extreme Aggression and Coma of Souls are automatically super melodic gothenburg records!
Seriously though I'm well aware that there's melodic solos on those albums and that's one of the reasons why they kick so much ass but having melodic solos does not take anything away from the pure thrash metal of the riffs. Riff wise Extreme Aggression and Coma of Souls are both 100% thrash metal records and I know that for a fact, end of the story.

That being said though, I also like The Finn (Sami Yli-Sirniö) and what he's done with Kreator. Enemy of God is a turd but the other 3 records totally kick ass, in fact Violent Revolution and Phantom Antichrist are among my top 3 favorite Kreator albums (3rd one is Coma of Souls). Also he does great job live, he doesn't play any solos for the old Pleasure to Kill/Endless Pain songs but quite frankly those songs are better off that way. I haven't heard Outcast (which had Tommy Vetterli on guitar) album in full but Phobia kicks ass.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:38 am 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
WaywardSon wrote:

I will not dignify that with a response.

And yet you still post a response to his comment? Way to go on doing exactly what you said you wouldn't do.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next