Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:06 am 

FIRE UP THE CHAINSAW, HACK THEIR FUCKING HEADS OFF!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Mojo Bundy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:26 am 

schizoid wrote:
Sounds like you may have developed "Stockholm Syndrome" for Pauls playing (ba dum... pish!)

:roll:

Paul rules, and is the best suited for CC. Period. He has this sound that I always think of as being perfectly "locked in" to the groove and flow of the song, and that allows Alex more latitude than most bassists have to add melodic elements, and lets Pat and Rob just go berserk over the top.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:18 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIX2vISe3M#t=121

new video - finally a video thats not just a band playing

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:52 pm 

Ha ha, great video.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:14 pm 

I'm not a big fan of corpsegrinder era CC. Don't know. Just don't like how Corpsegrinder brings it's vocals. Way too much lyrics for the lengths of the song. I bought Kill once and it just feel like hes cramming as much possible words in a song and then some more. But I've heard a few songs of this album and it seems like that's changed a bit. Am I right? If so, it might be interesting for me to get the album. The songs I heard have a little bit more of a Barnes era vibe in it than heard on Kill it seems.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:47 pm 

Jasper92 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of corpsegrinder era CC. Don't know. Just don't like how Corpsegrinder brings it's vocals. Way too much lyrics for the lengths of the song. I bought Kill once and it just feel like hes cramming as much possible words in a song and then some more. But I've heard a few songs of this album and it seems like that's changed a bit. Am I right? If so, it might be interesting for me to get the album. The songs I heard have a little bit more of a Barnes era vibe in it than heard on Kill it seems.

Kind of ironic how I think Asphyxiate to Resuscitate and Hollowed Bodies to be something Chris wrote lyrically, especially like stuff from Undead/Unborn. Havent stopped listening to it for over a week now.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:29 pm 

NecropsY wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIX2vISe3M#t=121new video - finally a video thats not just a band playing
I posted the video one page back.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:57 am 

Well, I bought it on a whim, and I don't regret it yet. It's a really solid album by Cannibal Corpse. Judging from the premier tracks, I was a little afraid that it was going to be a bit lighter and thrashier this time, with less powerful production as well, but they've simply separated the more brutal parts from the thrashier bits more obviously this time.

On earlier albums, it was pretty much that thrashier bits were played one string above the brutal stuff, but I think this time there's much less of the low string stuff while most the music is more intense than the lighter stuff previously. At first I thought they were perhaps moving away from the 7-string and intense downtuning trope - possibly due to djent and all that -, but ultimately, when it's used (that, I think, being less frequently than previously) it's implemented to an even greater effect. Just an impression I've got - I've only listened to the album a couple of times now.

MechaGhidorah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:53 am 

I honestly haven't heard a "new" CC since Gore Obsessed and sitting down for this I was just blown away. It seems like they've really stepped up their song-writing over time and I now apparently have to listen to everything else I missed.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:56 pm 

Mojo Bundy wrote:
schizoid wrote:
Sounds like you may have developed "Stockholm Syndrome" for Pauls playing (ba dum... pish!)

Paul rules, and is the best suited for CC. Period. He has this sound that I always think of as being perfectly "locked in" to the groove and flow of the song, and that allows Alex more latitude than most bassists have to add melodic elements, and lets Pat and Rob just go berserk over the top.

I remember when I first started listening to Cannibal Corpse. I wasn't a big fan of Paul's drumming. I was used to drummers like Derek Roddy and John Longstreth. I was used to drummers that blasted away all the time. However after giving CC a chance I ended up liking Paul's drumming. He's a very tight drummer. Nothing flashy but it's a sound that works for CC.

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:56 am 

Not as good as Torture, which had 5 Killers. I can only sense 3 in A Skeletal Domain. But it's still the second best of the Corpsegrinder era.
Or maybe it's third best. I'm such a sucker of Gore Obsessed. I can't help it ;)

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:23 am 

NecropsY wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIX2vISe3M#t=121

new video - finally a video thats not just a band playing

Haha, great video!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:21 am 

A Backwards 6 wrote:
Not as good as Torture, which had 5 Killers. I can only sense 3 in A Skeletal Domain. But it's still the second best of the Corpsegrinder era.
Or maybe it's third best. I'm such a sucker of Gore Obsessed. I can't help it ;)

I think Gore Obsessed is probably my least favorite, along with Gallery of Suicide. Just feels like too much filler to me :-P

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:15 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
A Backwards 6 wrote:

I think Gore Obsessed is probably my least favorite, along with Gallery of Suicide. Just feels like too much filler to me :-P

Yeah, i know i'm very alone with this. :D

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:08 pm 

I'll be honest, "The Murderer's Pact" didn't quite grab me when it was initially streamed before the release, but I've done a complete 180 on it now. It's a classic example of how what makes a great album isn't just the songs by themselves, but how they're sequenced and this is no different. Of course, it IS just fine on its own and I wouldn't mind hearing it live. The ending has that crushing, "Scourge of Iron" groove.

Just an excellent work by Cannibal Corpse, encapsulating all of their strengths of their Bloodthirst and beyond style. I hope they stick with Mark Lewis for at least the next one, too.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:55 pm 

After sitting with this album a little longer I cant help but feel slightly let down. Seems like the material on this album is much more straight forward. Simplified or dumbed down if you will. There are a handful of songs I love though like High Velocity Impact Slaughter, Kill or Become, Skeletal Domain, Sadistic Embodiment, Icepick Labotomy. They have been so consistent since The Wretched Spawn that I think Skeletal Domain was an inevitable 'dud'. Personally I love Cannibal Corpse. At the end of the day they are probably my favorite death metal band of all time. For my taste, they just do it better then everyone else. However with this album I cant help but think it sounds more Deicide'ish or Malevolent Creation'ish at times. I feel like I have heard all these riffs, screams, lyrics, etc already in a more creative way. Just more generic I guess. Skeletal Domain is still a good album though. It is definitely a bit more atmosphere than technique. I compare it to Gore Obsessed. I think if any other band put Skeletal Domain out I would rate it 8 or 9 out of 10. I just hold Cannibal Corpse to a higher quality standard.

Edit* Murder Worship just came on my shuffle and I cant help but feel like that song a lone crushes this whole album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8