* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:16 pm 

pastafarian wrote:
i cant stand people who tolerate mediocrity! Go big or go home. :wink:

People who tolerate mediocrity seem to me like those who get really drunk at their friends' birthday parties: secretly miserable.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:44 pm 

I've spun this album thoroughly enough to conclude it is just another post-WOOOS album: Predictable, admittedly a bit plastic now (judging by that album cover I kept expecting Tom Hiddleston and Chris Hemsworth to make an appearance on the record) but still mildly enjoyable as long as you get past the fixation of their 2006 magnum opus.
As far as the bonus EP goes, it's just a take it or leave it fun,cheesy extra little treat. Stand Up to Go Down is the best track there. Snake Eyes is pretty awful.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 am 

I saw Amon Amarth on the Surtur Rising tour; they played the entire album and a bunch of classics, a gigantic two-hour set. I listened to a song from "Deceiver of the Gods" and came to the conclusion that a band I once considered a favorite has been releasing the same album for about seven years!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:19 am 

I really like this album, better than Surtur and Twilight in my opinion. As Loke Falls, Shapeshifter and Blood Eagle are my favourites so far. Ironically the first track they released - the title track - underwhelmed me greatly and disspointed me. But everything bar that is great. Still have more to listen to.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:32 am 

Well I definitely understand what some people have said about the lack of leads. Doing some EQ stuff on my phone, I was able to remedy the issue. I use the Google Play app to listen to music on my phone, and it has a "3D effect" on it that muddles the vocals and brings up some of the other instruments, especially the leads. They're definitely there, it's just that they aren't nearly as high up in the mix as they normally are for an Amon Amarth recording. Looking up the album credits, it turns out Andy Sneap was the producer on this album and this is his first outing as a producer for Amon Amarth, which is probably why the album sounds kind of "funny" considering their previous works.

After listening to the album under these conditions, there are a ton of riffs that you just don't hear with normal EQ settings, and those riffs are actually quite good. I can hear riffs that I didn't realize were tremolos, notes that I never heard before, and even a lot more of the rhythm guitar as well. Changing these settings has given the album a lot more of the "punch" that we expect from Amon Amarth. It's unfortunate as I still like the album, but I totally get the disappointment that many people have expressed in regards to how the album sounds.

I'm not using it as an excuse for what they've released and I certainly don't expect anyone to actually change their mind by changing EQ settings, it' s just something interesting that I've observed.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7