Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:38 pm 

ikuturiso wrote:
I'll have to disagree, I think Ville's screams are some of the best out there, especially on Verisäkeet! In fact some of the highlights on the album in particular I think are the parts where he just screams his lungs out.
I really like most of his vocals on Verisäkeet, and at some parts, the scream-your-lungs-out parts sound very good aswell, but I'm very happy with the direction they took on the following album. Both vocal and music wise. I still like all of their albums though.

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:22 pm 

balkonas wrote:
Jason Mendonça(Akercocke) Wtf is wrong with him.His growls and screams makes me puke.I can say only one more thing his growls are the worse I've ever heard

While I can agree he's not that great on certain things, but overall I think he's an excellent and versatile vocalist, albeit his clean singing is sometimes very flat.
As a side thought, I never equated pot with extreme music since pot makes one mellow and extreme music is better suited to DOING THE DEW AND BEING EXXXTREME. *sips Mountain Dew* RRRRAARRRHGGGGHHGGH!!!!

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:32 pm 

PsyOpus!!! My god, do they suck.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:11 pm 

winterheathen wrote:
Really? I can't believe so many people think that. Nevermore is one of only a handful of bands that don't use harsh vocals that I listen to often, and Warrel is a big reason why. I can't describe exactly why though. His voice just has a lot of personality.

Well, there seems to be two groups of people, people think his voice has personality and emotion, and people who think he sounds like his mid crying. I'm usually in the second camp, although This Godless Endeavor has great vocals, apart from the one falsetto on the whole album, which still sounds poor like all of his.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:19 pm 

ikuturiso wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
ikuturiso wrote:
Which ones in particular do you think are awful?
Awful was probably an exaggeration, but when he tries to sound pained or anguished, he only manages to sound pretty bad most of the time.

I'll have to disagree, I think Ville's screams are some of the best out there, especially on Verisäkeet! In fact some of the highlights on the album in particular I think are the parts where he just screams his lungs out.

I have to agree with you, there are so many great screams on that album. Even though a lot of them sound "wrong" in a musical sense, they just hit home.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:20 pm 

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet in this thread but Atilla on DMDS. I can't stand him at all.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

inculta_templus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:20 am 

dave mustaine is fuckin deplorable... fuckin drug addict old fuck couldnt sing to save his career... anyone who was as dumb as i to waste there time with united abominations knows the pain... not only is he the worst vocalist, hes the fuckin worst lyric writer on the fuckin planet... ill "walk on his grave even if hes buried out at sea"

ow, and to balkonas, call me an akercocke addict, but fuckin Jason Mendonça is a fuckin brilliant vocalist... one of the only people who can do high shrieks, low guttural shit and fuckin clean shit all well... horns of baphomet a good example...

DaddyZeus67
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:32 am 

hmmm Matt Gachy or whoever the fuck is that pretty boy in Craptopsy

George Fisher is also incredibly shit
he sounds like he sings with a fucking dick in his throat! And then he goes to that god fucking damn awful mid-high scream gurgle shit which really makes me want to turn that shit right off. This shit is easiest to hear on the extremely shitty Vile album by Cannibal Corpse and Fisher also tries to re-create that queer cum gurgle sound in that metalcore shit band Paths Of Possession who are honestly beneath the fucking slipknot

and David Vincent
Morbid Angel fanboys can kiss my ass now because David hasn't sounded good for fucking 20 years
he was ok on Altars Of Madness album
but now? He's a complete homo

Last edited by DaddyZeus67 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:54 am 

The only album he had problems on was Domination. Okay, he was pretty weak on Covenant and relied on a lot of layering, but I haven't heard him on any other albums lately.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 am 

DaddyZeus67 wrote:

Come on, of all the insults that you can fairly throw at that guy, you pick the one that isn't true.

DaddyZeus67
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:26 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
DaddyZeus67 wrote:

Come on, of all the insults that you can fairly throw at that guy, you pick the one that isn't true.

:lol: nice pointer

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:26 am 

DaddyZeus67 wrote:

he sounds like he sings with a fucking dick in his throat! And then he goes to that god fucking damn awful mid-high scream gurgle shit which really makes me want to turn that shit right off. This shit is easiest to hear on the extremely shitty Vile album by Cannibal Corpse and Fisher also tries to re-create that queer cum gurgle sound in that metalcore shit band Paths Of Possession who are honestly beneath the fucking slipknot

and David Vincent
Morbid Angel fanboys can kiss my ass now because David hasn't sounded good for fucking 20 years

How old are you? 12?

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:53 am 

Visionary wrote:
DaddyZeus67 wrote:

and David Vincent

How old are you? 12?

He gave two positive Lamb of God reviews, so yes, I'd say he's a mallcore kiddie. What a dipshit.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:56 am 

Hellrisen wrote:
Visionary wrote:
DaddyZeus67 wrote:

and David Vincent

How old are you? 12?

He gave two positive Lamb of God reviews, so yes, I'd say he's a mallcore kiddie. What a dipshit.

Got to love that irony.

MokomakiKusimuki
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:40 pm 

His "older" posts have been mostly redundant blathering too, so I'm not surprised of the output that he displays here.

On topic, I'd say that Dani Filth's voice has always been the last nail in Cradle of Filth's coffin. I also detest most female singers. They're tolerable when doing backup vocals, though. Luckily I don't listen to virtually any gothic, power or symphonic metal bands.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:39 pm 

Scott Ian's backup vocals in Anthrax are absolutely horrible. Belladonna isn't anything really special, but he's OK. On the other hand, I absolutely cannot fucking stand that hardcore-sounding douche nozzle bellowing "CAUGHT...IN A MOSH! CAUGHT...IN A MOSH!" It would be more excusable if he had an ounce of menace to his voice, but, no, he's just an ordinary guy, with his ordinary-guy voice, yelling. Maybe it sounds better if you drink six shots of 151 before listening, but I'm in no hurry to find out.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:23 pm 

Not that Helena Michaelsen is a bad singer, but when she was in Trail of Tears, she'd make the music get dry quickly at times.

LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:41 pm 

Black Label Society. "AWWWWW YEEEAAAAHHHHHH"

Tronic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:47 pm 

Nattramm. It's been said before in this topic I believe. I just can't get by those vocals.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:27 pm 

Chris barnes is the only screamer I've ever really hated

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:40 pm 

It has been mentioned, but I hate David Vincent on Domination (and Covenant to a degree), moreso because I loved his vocals on Altars of Madness so much.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:00 pm 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Lord Worm.

I believe that lord_ghengis' review said it the best.

lord_ghengis wrote:
"Hurgh Hurgh Hur Hurgh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hurgh Hurgh Hurwoh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hurgh Hurghee Gaaaah!
Hurgh Hur GAH YAH!!
GYAH YAH HAGH!
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee"

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:00 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
Chris barnes is the only screamer I've ever really hated

I think he actually sounded quite decent on Eaten Back to Life. Back when Barns and the band hadn't totally lost all their thrash influences.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:43 pm 

PriestofSadWings wrote:

lord_ghengis wrote:
"Hurgh Hurgh Hur Hurgh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hurgh Hurgh Hurwoh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hur GAH YAH!!
GYAH YAH HAGH!
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee"

I'll say what I always say, what is he supposed to sound like?

Charlo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:05 pm 

The female vocalist from the power metal band Epinikion is really annoying. She can hit some really high notes, but her style is way too nasally. Good thing their album is free.

Also, the vocalist from Waking the Cadaver is really bad, even by bree-bree deathcore standards. Plus, his tough-guy posturing at live shows is unintentionally hilarious. "This fucking song is called blood splattered satisfaction".

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:50 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
PriestofSadWings wrote:

lord_ghengis wrote:
"Hurgh Hurgh Hur Hurgh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hurgh Hurgh Hurwoh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hur GAH YAH!!
GYAH YAH HAGH!
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee"

I'm not much of a death metal fan in the first place, and the harsh vocals are my primary reason. I can tolerate Morbid Angel and Bolt Thrower, but Lord Worm is more than a bit much.

bloody_spike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:44 pm 

grindmonkey wrote:
Hammerfall, hell most power metal vocals make me cringe.

nu metal vocals are laughably bad as well. What crosses the mind of a vocalist that says "hey, I want to sound like a whiny, angst ridden teenager writing bad poetry about how my dad molested me"?

Nu metal doesn't really seem to have a standard vocal technique, though. Maybe the weird whisper-talk thing, but only the bands from the first scene (i.e.: Coal Chamber, Deftones, Korn) did that.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:49 pm 

PriestofSadWings wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:
PriestofSadWings wrote:

lord_ghengis wrote:
"Hurgh Hurgh Hur Hurgh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hurgh Hurgh Hurwoh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hur GAH YAH!!
GYAH YAH HAGH!
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee"

I'm not much of a death metal fan in the first place, and the harsh vocals are my primary reason. I can tolerate Morbid Angel and Bolt Thrower, but Lord Worm is more than a bit much.

Well, I can understand that. I just find it weird when real death metal fans complain about him.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:29 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
PriestofSadWings wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:
PriestofSadWings wrote:

lord_ghengis wrote:
"Hurgh Hurgh Hur Hurgh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hurgh Hurgh Hurwoh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hur GAH YAH!!
GYAH YAH HAGH!
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee"

Well, I can understand that. I just find it weird when real death metal fans complain about him.

Just so you know, the review in which I wrote that in was in great support of him. So those are Hurgh's of love.

DaddyZeus67
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:41 am 

Hellrisen wrote:
Visionary wrote:
DaddyZeus67 wrote:

and David Vincent

How old are you? 12?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

so nice to hear that from a loser who gave a positive review for KILLSWITCH ENGAGE AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!
You're a fucking laugh man

Which part of my post got you so asshurt anyway? When I insulted george "cumdrinker" fisher? Or when I destroyed your idol Dave Vincent?
ROFL and you call me a mallcore kid? :lol: about the funniest thing I've heard for a while!!

Hey junior here's some "mallcore" I listen to:

Repulsion, Napalm Death, Necrophagia, Lust Of Decay, Rotten Sound, Nile, Visceral Bleeding, Possessed, Regurgitate, Exhumed, Prostitute Disfigurement, Venom, Sodom, Hate Eternal, Avulsed, Exmortem, Internal Suffering, Beherit, Terrorizer, Cephalic Carnage

Mallcore eh?
You fail harder than possible
Cry some more little bud

and to that other moron Visionary
Get the fuck out of this thread you dumbass Cannibal Corpse/Morbid Angel fanboy

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:47 am 

/voteban

Anyhow, I agree that extremely low pitched growls sound really bad. I understand indecipherable vocals in music where vocals create atmosphere, and I don't really need lyrics to focus on when listening to music, but when each word sounds equal to a burp, something is wrong.

I admit that I'm much more of a black metal than death metal person. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:54 am 

Udo Dirkshenshilgahdeneitzer used to make me cringe, but since they've grown on me, they're pretty enjoyable and original.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:30 am 

DaddyZeus67 wrote:
Hey junior here's some "mallcore" I listen to:

Repulsion, Napalm Death, Necrophagia, Lust Of Decay, Rotten Sound, Nile, Visceral Bleeding, Possessed, Regurgitate, Exhumed, Prostitute Disfigurement, Venom, Sodom, Hate Eternal, Avulsed, Exmortem, Internal Suffering, Beherit, Terrorizer, Cephalic Carnage
yeah bro, totally

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:35 am 

Doesn't exactly fit what the thread has been up until now, but Rob Halford really made me cringe last week with his "yeahyeaahyeahyeahyeahyeaaaah!" shit. Maybe those who saw the tour will know what I"m talking about ... they could have played "The Ripper" during that time, easily, but nooo .. Rob has to have his diva moment. Gah, I even feel bad speaking ill of such a metal legend, but I just can't stand this "call and response" nonsense at metal concerts .. what is this, fucking panto?? Oh no it isn't! Gah.

Edit:: On a similar note, I don't mind it when Bruce Dickinson sings all these "woo-woo-woooa" parts in concerts, especially if it gets people singing along. But for some reason, on the albums, I just can't stand it. "Book of Thel" would be a great song were it not for that, to say nothing of some of that later Maiden stuff.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Dragonsbayne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:22 pm 

The most cringing vocals I ever heard was from this band Sawtooth Grin. It sounds like a dental drill ughhh

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:50 pm 

The only reason I can't get into My Dying Bride more than As the flower withers (excellent album BTW) is Aaron Sainthorpe's clean vocals. I have the hardest of times stomaching his singing, he's just terrible.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:57 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Doesn't exactly fit what the thread has been up until now, but Rob Halford really made me cringe last week with his "yeahyeaahyeahyeahyeahyeaaaah!" shit. Maybe those who saw the tour will know what I"m talking about ... they could have played "The Ripper" during that time, easily, but nooo .. Rob has to have his diva moment. Gah, I even feel bad speaking ill of such a metal legend, but I just can't stand this "call and response" nonsense at metal concerts .. what is this, fucking panto?? Oh no it isn't! Gah.

Edit:: On a similar note, I don't mind it when Bruce Dickinson sings all these "woo-woo-woooa" parts in concerts, especially if it gets people singing along. But for some reason, on the albums, I just can't stand it. "Book of Thel" would be a great song were it not for that, to say nothing of some of that later Maiden stuff.

I think '00s Maiden is written more for the stage than their '80s material was. Of course, when Dickinson does his whooooa-oooa thing, he's showing off his huge operatic tenor, while Halford just yells to the crowd.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next