Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:22 am 

HaPoStaPu wrote:
Sure, people can do what they want on their websites, they all do and they also make their own news channels, listening to the news that they wish to hear (is this sort of thing getting more extreme lately?), but, again, it's not all that helpful, nor does it make you look much better than the people that you have an issue with, if you label them all scum, even if there are millions of them, many different reasons and some might not even consciously choose to feel weird about homosexuality (as they were brought up that way, have issues with sex, might have issues with having gay phantasies but can't allow them due to their upbringing, religion, etc). It's just more generalizing, which we generally don't see as the way to go these days. I'm not a Jedi but it may well be the path to the darkside.

As someone who used to peddle something akin to this line of thinking earlier in her personal development, I know this argument well and I can tell you that a common error in it is this idea that we (by "we", I mean rainbow folk and their allies) have this wanton approach to resistance where-in we make no distinction between someone who is under-exposed and merely needs a bit of patience and education and someone else who already feels that they have the answer to the rainbow "problem".

As someone who is also a really fuckin' gay trans woman who makes the occasional effort to engage and educate the people you describe to mixed results, I can affirm that there is a certain point at which it becomes clear that there is no education that would be enough. Once that becomes clear—and yes, there are very overt signs—trying to argue them in to tolerance and understanding ceases to be an exercise in altruism for the sake of "the greater good" and becomes more so one of frustration, despair, anger, and anxiety. When you're dealing with someone who comes out of the gate with the notion that the whole of the rainbow community and their issues both microscopic and macroscopic can be reduced and dismissed as nothing more than another form of materialistic vanity, you kind of already know just how far you're going to get with them. They're not worth the effort because it's clear that there isn't a sliver of solidarity in their body they can offer to us; they can't even summon the basic human recognition necessary to admit that maybe—just maybe—not understanding us is their first issue. When this is the case, cultural differences are no longer enough to give them a pass and frankly, while it's not impossible for someone so toxic to rehabilitate, it is not our job to front and weather the emotional and/or administrative taxation for an effort we have no reason to believe will bear any meaningful fruit.

We have been through this many, many times before. It's not generalisation; we know the difference. The fact that you're still here and able to continue this discussion and mikeyson isn't is proof enough.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5