Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 am 

I think the weird thing of this album are the vocals. Those bad ones included in the single also can be heard in two more if I am not wrong. Other 2-3 have more standard vocals but even these ones sound different.

The music itself is fine with great arrangements. Its only the first listen so I need more spins to judge the album properly but...

1. Tar-Calion 07:15: a too long intro/instrumental song, it should last no more than 2-3 minutes.

2. Silvertine 08:53 : The song of the album, what a beautiful piece of art!!

3. Carcharoth 09:19 : Those vocals sucks but the music is fine.

4. Herumor 07:08 : a Little bit weaker but it could be a grower.

5. Barrow-downs 02:47: another instrumental which is just ok.

6. Night Fell Behind 07:20: good but not great, it needs more spins.

7. Mirklands 11:00 : darker than usual, a very interesting track. I really like it.

8. With Doom I Come 11:18. As I said previously, I dislike the vocals but the music is great. I am digging it more and more.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 am 

What about those vocals suck? If it's Protector and his slightly cleaner approach, what ashame not to like them. Easily the highlight of Old Mornings Dawn.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:23 am 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
What about those vocals suck? If it's Protector and his slightly cleaner approach, what ashame not to like them. Easily the highlight of Old Mornings Dawn.

How those vocals can be the highlight of OMD? Don´t you like his classic voice?

If you like it, ok but those strengthless/semi raspy/clean/"doggy" vocals are weak and don´t fit the music. They are simply terrible. You have the right to like them, they have right to make those experiments but I can´t stand them, and I sincerely think they don´t fit the music.

KevDiamond823
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:53 pm 

Gave the album 3 listens and carcharoth seems to be the only track I can get into. Something just seems off with this album. I will give it a few more spins but I'm disappointed from what I heard, and I like all the previous releases.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:44 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
DrummingEdge133 wrote:

If you like it, ok but those strengthless/semi raspy/clean/"doggy" vocals are weak and don´t fit the music. They are simply terrible. You have the right to like them, they have right to make those experiments but I can´t stand them, and I sincerely think they don´t fit the music.

His vocals signify the most emotionally powerful and poignant moments of the entire album and his semi-clean approach intensifies those emotions a thousand fold. Partly because of how 'beautiful' and powerful they are, and also because they are able to be comprehended easily within the song.

"The mother weeps ... she weeps her beloved son,
Who was her hope her joy her pride
He was the one ... the widows only one
For him she surely would have died"

This passage with Protector's vocals give me chills and goosebumps. So beautiful and yet tragic at the same time. If that above doesn't give you a rise in your emotional detector, you are dead inside, sir!

But to each their own.

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:45 pm 

The only thing I don’t really like is how much it still sounds like OMD. And because of that I keep comparing it to OMD, and I just don’t think it’s as good. I wish they would of found some new sounds to explore. Each Summoning album sounds different than the last…WDWC just sounds like OMD Part 2. It’s still “kind of” a different album…the diverse vocal stylings, heavy use of spoken word samples, the song order (short instrumental in the middle of the album)…but I can’t help but feel that the majority of these were just leftover tracks that didn’t make it onto OMD.

I do like the album…quite a bit actually. Its kind of weird only having Silenius’ vocals on a few tracks seeing as his black metal style vocals are usually found on the majority of the songs on a Summoning album. But I am one that doesn’t mind Protector’s style. I guess I just got over the fact that Summoning is not really a “black metal” band anymore quicker than others seem to have.

Stand out tracks: Silvertine, Herumor, and Barrow-Downs.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:55 pm 

I must say, after a second listen just before the video got removed from Youtube, the first half of the album really has grown on me.
I like the long intro song, the instrumental interlude halfway and the three songs in between. The tunes have been stuck in my head all day. Yeah, the second half is not my favourite. I'm just not a fan of Protector's vocals. Earthshine for example, is a song I rarely listen too. But for fans of Earthshine, you'll dig the second half. For sure.

It's a bit of a grower but I'll just restate my previous comment: This IS Summoning and it's quality stuff.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:02 am 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:

His vocals signify the most emotionally powerful and poignant moments of the entire album and his semi-clean approach intensifies those emotions a thousand fold. Partly because of how 'beautiful' and powerful they are, and also because they are able to be comprehended easily within the song.

"The mother weeps ... she weeps her beloved son,
Who was her hope her joy her pride
He was the one ... the widows only one
For him she surely would have died"

This passage with Protector's vocals give me chills and goosebumps. So beautiful and yet tragic at the same time. If that above doesn't give you a rise in your emotional detector, you are dead inside, sir!

But to each their own.

I guess its a matter of taste. But even being the song great and the lyrics very emotional, if the vocals are bad I can´t feel this emotion. In the end, its a guy trying to scream with emotion and power, but he can´t, its like a failure. The sad fact here if that Protector can actually scream and his vocals are fine. So I don´t understand this approach.

Anyway, this is music, this is art. If you feel it and you like it, I´m fine with it even I dont understand it.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:34 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
In the end, its a guy trying to scream with emotion and power, but he can´t, its like a failure.

He's not trying to scream though. He's actually doing more of a very raspy singing in these moments, and it's glorious. As I said, very emotionally impactful and powerful, as well as unique. Very rarely, if at all, have I heard such a style in black metal before. You go Protector, do your thing and I'll continue to love it!

Probably going to listen to this very soon, since waiting until what will probably be Mid January is too long.

c_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:44 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
DrummingEdge133 wrote:

We get it already. You don't like Protector's vocals. Do you literally have nothing else left to say?

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 am 

c_ wrote:

We get it already. You don't like Protector's vocals. Do you literally have nothing else left to say?

What´s your problem? I don´t this new approach, I do like his traditional vocals tough. We were debating this aspect like it happens on normal forums.

If you read the previous posts, yes, I have said something about each song of this album, very shortly indeed, a deeper analysis of each song should come when I give it more spins. Feel free to do the same so we can have an interesting discussion instead of showing your displeasure with someone else´s opinion.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:52 pm 

it sounds like summoning, at this point i don't expect them to reinvent the wheel. i like it.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 pm 

I disagree with your opinion on Protector's vocals, I don't find them all that different from in the past and they work perfectly well on this album.

This, however

Paganbasque wrote:

I am with you 110%!

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:07 am 

So I listened to the album just now (first 8 tracks) and I have to say I wasn't feeling it too much. No stand out melodic leads like on Flammifer and no deeply poignant moments like some of the verses from Earthshine. I'd sum it up on first listen as B-sides Old Mornings Dawn. Bit disappointed.

I thought the standout track was the closing track/title track "With Doom I Come". Some nice memorable flute melodies and good vocals on that track. I'm assuming it's a Protector fronted track (due to the cleans and also because it was my favorite song on the album).

Not a bad album but definitely isn't as good as Old Mornings Dawn or Oath Bound. Of course, this may change on repeated listens.

Summoning seem to continue to de-emphasis guitar riffing and in particular certain black metal riffing techniques like tremolos in favor of stronger folk/traditional instruments. I think that's where people might be saying it sounds like Summoning but then doesn't. I think they went too far this time on the folk/traditional instrumentation and forgot to include....the beautiful and mesmerising guitar riffs, which could still be found on Old Mornings Dawn but they were not as powerful and prevalent as they were on previous albums.

Still a pretty solid album, but didn't blow me away in any parts on first listen. More listens to come.

Edit: Also thought "Night Fell Behind" was a good track. Beautiful song.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:21 am 

pfk505 wrote:
I disagree with your opinion on Protector's vocals, I don't find them all that different from in the past and they work perfectly well on this album.

This, however

Paganbasque wrote:

I am with you 110%!

I think this song was an instant winner as it happened with Old Mornings dawn track.

Hahaha this is very weird, we could differ about our tastes but its curious that you consider that those vocals are the same ones.

By the way, I am curious to listen to the bonus tracks. They should come as bonus in the same cd, not in a separate one. I guess Napalm wants to make some extra money. I am just waiting to see a true limited edition(digipak or mediabook) and not those super expensive editions which don´t offer too much.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:53 am 

Paganbasque wrote:

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
I thought the standout track was the closing track/title track "With Doom I Come". Some nice memorable flute melodies and good vocals on that track. I'm assuming it's a Protector fronted track (due to the cleans and also because it was my favorite song on the album).

Like I said, first and last songs. :beer:

c_ wrote:

WTF?!? Did you read what he said?!? :scratch:

c_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:47 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
WTF?!? Did you read what he said?!? :scratch:

Yes, I did read what he said. I've been reading what he's been saying for the whole thread. It's nothing but whining about Protector's "new" vocals and the same ridiculous nonsense about favoring his "traditional" vocals more. What does that even mean? Of course his vocals are going to vary slightly from song to song. Not all songs have the same tempo or are in the same key... to say his vocals don't fit the music is ridiculous considering the fact the the vocals may sound slightly different for the very reason as to fit to the music.
And if your "did you read what he said?!?" is in any way referring to that half-assed track-by-track review/summary of the album with such deeply profound thoughts such as: "4. Herumor 07:08 : a Little bit weaker but it could be a grower..." or "7. Mirklands 11:00 : darker than usual, a very interesting track. I really like it...", then spare me.

Paganbasque wrote:
...a deeper analysis of each song should come when I give it more spins...

Can't wait...

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:03 pm 

c_ wrote:
Yes, I did read what he said.

Cool, so the problem seems that you did not understand...

Paganbasque wrote:
there is too much experimentation with the vocals, there are only a few of the classic ones, while those shitty vocals of the single track appear on 3 songs.

DrummingEdge133 wrote:

Paganbasque wrote:

... and keep thinking this:

c_ wrote:
You don't like Protector's vocals.

Which is not what he's saying.
Try again.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:09 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:

Hahaha this is very weird, we could differ about our tastes but its curious that you consider that those vocals are the same ones.

Well, more or less the same :) They are certainly identifiable as Protector's vocals and are consistent with past efforts, if perhaps a slight bit weaker or "clean" if you will. They certainly don't bother me and I didn't have the same reaction others did.. but I'll concede they're not exactly identical to before.

By the way, this album has all the markers of a grower - I've listened to it a handful of times and found new enjoyment each time, with it going up and up in my estimation.

Also, let's not forget Paganbasque this is not the first time you've let vocals affect your enjoyment of otherwise great material! (at least, what I would call great material). I hate to beat a dead horse but Elffor's Malkhedant is my example. I think we need to assume, in some cases at least, that these vocal changes might just be due to the artists getting old and perhaps can't do the same things with their voices any more :lol:

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:49 am 

pfk505 wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

Well, more or less the same :) They are certainly identifiable as Protector's vocals and are consistent with past efforts, if perhaps a slight bit weaker or "clean" if you will. They certainly don't bother me and I didn't have the same reaction others did.. but I'll concede they're not exactly identical to before.

By the way, this album has all the markers of a grower - I've listened to it a handful of times and found new enjoyment each time, with it going up and up in my estimation.

Also, let's not forget Paganbasque this is not the first time you've let vocals affect your enjoyment of otherwise great material! (at least, what I would call great material). I hate to beat a dead horse but Elffor's Malkhedant is my example. I think we need to assume, in some cases at least, that these vocal changes might just be due to the artists getting old and perhaps can't do the same things with their voices any more :lol:

Well, I think we have reached somekind of an agreement about Protector´s vocals. Not bad. :D

Hahahah, almost mate. Its true that I was let down with Eöl´s vocals on that album but my main problem with Malkhendant is that its too focused on its black metal side. I mean, keys were more prominent and constant in the previous Wwrks(mainly the classic ones) where they only make occasional appearances on Malkhendant. They are great whey they appear but I loved how keys wrapped the songs from the beginning to the end. That was very distinctive and a basic part of Ellffor´s sound. I fear Numen is having a too great influence on him. But this is another story.

Going back to Summoning, I agree this album looks like a grower, but I think I will listen to it once more, because I plan to buy the cd when its out.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:31 am 

pfk505 wrote:

That's it.

Paganbasque wrote:
Going back to Summoning, I agree this album looks like a grower, but I think I will listen to it once more, because I plan to buy the cd when its out.

I just gave it my 3-4 listen and it's getting better.
As stated before, first (not the intro) and last songs are GLORIOUS but I could enjoy more songs this time.
My only complaints:
-Carcharoth: It's the strange song of the album. Like happened in the previous one with The White Tower. And the vocals don't help.
-Barrow-downs: Short and pointless.
-Mirklands: Feels LOONG.

P.S: I arrived to work almost on tears as the song With Doom I Come was finishing.

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
grendizer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:42 am 

What's the problem with the White Tower? It's the best song in OMD, followed closely by the Old Mornings Dawn track. But all songs are great in this album, even The Wandering Fire is outstanding.
I couldn't resist... I downloaded the new album's songs. But I refuse to listen to them. I'll listen to the CD first on January the 5th!!!
You guys are spoilers !! :)

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 am 

grendizer wrote:
What's the problem with the White Tower? It's the best song in OMD, followed closely by the Old Mornings Dawn track. But all songs are great in this album, even The Wandering Fire is outstanding.
I couldn't resist... I downloaded the new album's songs. But I refuse to listen to them. I'll listen to the CD first on January the 5th!!!
You guys are spoilers !! :)

Personally I consider it a pretty austere track, you know, it lacks some of the epic melodies of other songs, its also darker and more monotonous. Its a clear contract to the title track.

So you have downloaded the album but you hope to wait until january, good luck mate. :D

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I just gave it my 3-4 listen and it's getting better.
As stated before, first (not the intro) and last songs are GLORIOUS but I could enjoy more songs this time.
My only complaints:
-Carcharoth: It's the strange song of the album. Like happened in the previous one with The White Tower. And the vocals don't help.
-Barrow-downs: Short and pointless.
-Mirklands: Feels LOONG.

P.D: I arrived to work almost on tears as the song With Doom I Come was finishing.

I agree with everything here except for Carcharoth, I think it's one of the better tracks on the album. Mirklands does feel, to me, like the weakest - slightly overlong and less dynamic, but still enjoyable. Incidentally With Doom I Come is made even more epic and interesting if one has read or seeks out the sections from "The Lay of Leithian" where Sauron (as Thu) speaks the very words of the choirs in the song (which are slightly modified in the song) to Beren and Finrod.

PutridWind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:32 am 

I wonder if the people asking what's wrong / different with Protectors vocals have heard a Summoning album that came out before 2005... If you can't hear it I'm not sure there's a way to explain it with text.

grendizer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:43 am 

Summoning is very strong on melodies. These YouTube covers prove it, check them out :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SnX9aEuKdM (this one is really impressive)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msfQ72Dopuc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZq6cA2GLJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgQEWX27Pyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMsA3Gzsd_Y

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:30 am 

PutridWind wrote:
I wonder if the people asking what's wrong / different with Protectors vocals have heard a Summoning album that came out before 2005... If you can't hear it I'm not sure there's a way to explain it with text.

I have listened to all Summoning albums. So...

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:31 am 

grendizer wrote:

Beleriand must be my favourite Summoning track, and well, this cover is beatiful too.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:21 am 

Paganbasque wrote:

I don't think anyone is doubting that, m8...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:39 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
PutridWind wrote:

Pretty sure that fellow is in agreement with you, PB :)

For my part I have listened to all of their albums countless times and while I don't find anything "wrong" per se I do acknowledge the difference. It's just not bugging me.

By the way I binged hard on this album all weekend and it is glorious - on par with OMD (rather than just a "OMD part 2") and it definitely takes several listens to fully appreciate.

PutridWind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:24 am 

pfk505 wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

Indeed I think the difference is very notable, and to my taste it's not for the better. It's too close to Ice Ages and takes some of the harshness out of the mix, which has been lacking a bit since Mortal Heroes anyway with the arpeggiated guitar style and the omission of palm-muted passages and tremolo riffs. It begins to make the mix wash together, there's no longer this contrast of clean bright orchestration against harsh black metal guitars / vocals which Mortal Heroes and Stronghold captured perfectly. Maybe I'm just stuck in that era of Summoning... Haven't heard anything but the teaser song yet so I'll reserve judgement for this release as a whole.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:50 am 

pfk505 wrote:
For my part I have listened to all of their albums countless times and while I don't find anything "wrong" per se I do acknowledge the difference. It's just not bugging me.
By the way I binged hard on this album all weekend and it is glorious - on par with OMD (rather than just a "OMD part 2") and it definitely takes several listens to fully appreciate.

PutridWind wrote:
Indeed I think the difference is very notable, and to my taste it's not for the better. It's too close to Ice Ages and takes some of the harshness out of the mix, which has been lacking a bit since Mortal Heroes anyway with the arpeggiated guitar style and the omission of palm-muted passages and tremolo riffs. It begins to make the mix wash together, there's no longer this contrast of clean bright orchestration against harsh black metal guitars / vocals which Mortal Heroes and Stronghold captured perfectly. Maybe I'm just stuck in that era of Summoning... Haven't heard anything but the teaser song yet so I'll reserve judgement for this release as a whole.

:beer:

Like someone stated before, they're changing again. :thumbsup:
Edit: Here:
Razakel wrote:
I think practically every Summoning album is divisive at least to some degree. A lot of fans of the early stuff didn't like Stronghold when it came out because its songs were more structured and sounded very different from Minas Morgul and Dol Goldur, but at the same time it gained them a larger fanbase. Oath Bound also seemed to divide fans when it came out because it was more epic and bombastic and less black metal, which some people preferred and some people didn't. I don't know if Old Mornings Dawn gets a particularly bad rep. I think it might be their best album ever, and I know that quite a few other people think that way too.

P.S: Those last two (or 3, if we count Oath Bound) are different, yes.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 pm 

PutridWind wrote:
Indeed I think the difference is very notable, and to my taste it's not for the better. It's too close to Ice Ages

Huh? This album sounds nothing like Ice Ages. :scratch:

PutridWind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:19 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
PutridWind wrote:
Indeed I think the difference is very notable, and to my taste it's not for the better. It's too close to Ice Ages

Protectors vocals, obviously not the entire album.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:55 am 

The vocals are a different style too. Distorted rasp vs. semi-clean roughness. Protector is Protector though.

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:38 am 

I don't think the vocals are all that different from things they've done before, and my initial thought hearing the "semi-clean roughness" was Stronghold. And even now, after having heard the album 50+ times, those vocals makes me think of Stronghold.

A superb album in every way IMO. Grand, majestic, huge.

Valkyrian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:39 am 

I honestly really liked it. The final track has so much more of an impact when you've listened to everything in full beforehand. Silvertine, Herumor, Mirklands, and With Doom I Come were my favorites. I'm expecting this to grow on me further.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:06 am 

PutridWind wrote:
DrummingEdge133 wrote:

Protectors vocals, obviously not the entire album.

:roll:

YesIam wrote:
A superb album in every way IMO. Grand, majestic, huge.

Valkyrian wrote:
I honestly really liked it. The final track has so much more of an impact when you've listened to everything in full beforehand. Silvertine, Herumor, Mirklands, and With Doom I Come were my favorites. I'm expecting this to grow on me further.

:beer:

Can't wait for the official release and bonus tracks! :hyper:

swebarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:21 am 

must say its a weak album, compared to stronghold which is my fav this wasnt that special.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:30 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:

Can't wait for the official release and bonus tracks! :hyper:

Too bad that you need to buy the very special(and expensive) edition if you want to own them.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next