* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:11 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Dude, what about the end riff break?

Boring and generic. Not actively annoying like the main riff/verse/pre-chorus (jesus christ who the fuck thought that "CAN'T YOU SEE" section was a good idea?), but nothing really impressive.

Both new Metallica songs are generic as hell, but they don't make me want to turn them off.

Also, that solo is fumbling and terrible. No melody or pacing.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:23 pm 

New song is a tad disappointing for sure. I kept thinking during it, "man if they played this live I would be kinda bored!" Now, if they played the whole song twice as fast (except the breakdown of course) then it might have been pretty sweet. I'm sure there will be many better songs on the album.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:13 pm 

The song has honestly grown on me a whole bunch. As I mentioned before, I'm glad their sticking with the decidedly New Jersey-styled thrash riffing and the fast, clicky drums. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this one ends up being a bit more midpaced. White DEvil Armory was by far, the most consistently fast record out of all of the most recent three. I could see them throwing it back to IronBound a bit, possibly.

Anyhoo, still excited to hear more.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:52 am 

Oblarg wrote:
Both new Metallica songs are generic as hell

I haven't heard the new Overkill song, but Moth into Flame isn't generic by any useful standard. If someone new to thrash was told that song is generic, he'd be surprised how few simmilar-sounding ones he'd come across. Hardwired, on the other hand...

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:40 pm 

I love it! It is strongly reminiscent of "I Hate" which is fine by me. The solo is nicely chaotic and the pacing overall is suitable and well executed. The riffing doesn't stand out that much which is OK because it isn't that kind of song where the riffs should take top priority. And...Blitz sounds really good. I'm loving this way more than new Testament.
Did you need a protection amulet?

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:09 am 

Just picked up Under the Influence and I Hear Black! When I get around to listening to them, I'll post what I think about 'em in relation to the album I'm most familiar with, The Years of Decay. Well, that and about half of Horrorscope, along with a handful of other songs, mainly their official music videos.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:25 am 

I'm very excited for my copy of I Hear Black to arrive. My metal taste has received a kick in the pants lately as I've found this weird appreciation for grooving stuff. The title track to I Hear Black and World of Hurt are among my favorites already.

Also, Killbox 13 is the shit. It's so freaking good, it has great production, Bobby sounds badass, and there's such a great mix of thrash and the more interesting stuff. When did that come out? 2003? Goodness gracious. I'm so glad I decided to give it a shot.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:06 pm 

“It’s not right that the President is keeping the American people in the dark about an issue as important as his taste in music. If the President listens to thrash, death or even proto-doom, it’s important that the people know so they can make informed decisions.”
https://tyrannyoftradition.com/2011/04/ ... l-drummer/
Did you need a protection amulet?

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:06 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
“It’s not right that the President is keeping the American people in the dark about an issue as important as his taste in music. If the President listens to thrash, death or even proto-doom, it’s important that the people know so they can make informed decisions.”
https://tyrannyoftradition.com/2011/04/ ... l-drummer/

Someone was bored.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:20 pm 

So I've been listening to Under the Influence and I like it a lot. I definitely prefer side 2, or the second half of the album if you have it on CD I suppose. But "Hello From The Gutter" is such an awesome song too. I can hear some of the elements that would go on to be more fleshed out in The Years of Decay.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:40 am 

Track lengths released, and are interesting to say the least. Nothing under ~5 minutes.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:41 am 

putrenista wrote:
So I've been listening to Under the Influence and I like it a lot. I definitely prefer side 2, or the second half of the album if you have it on CD I suppose. But "Hello From The Gutter" is such an awesome song too. I can hear some of the elements that would go on to be more fleshed out in The Years of Decay.

I feel opposite. "End of the Line" and "Head First" back to back is very tough to sit through. The best songs are on the A side.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:18 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Track lengths released, and are interesting to say the least. Nothing under ~5 minutes.

I just saw these. The longest songs on the previous three albums were my personal favorites, so my interest has definitely increased!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:34 pm 

IronBound was around 60 minutes, innit?

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:00 pm 

I finally got around to "Our Finest Hour" and while I won't say it's bad, it would've been a lesser song on recent albums. A nip here and a tuck there would really sharpen it up, but there's still some good riffs and Blitz is in top form, as expected.

Overkill is no stranger to longer songs through their history, so that doesn't register any warning signs to me. They know as well as anyone that as long as you bring plentiful riffs and structure them effectively, you can hit as hard in seven minutes as you can in three or four.

I'm going to guess that "Emerald" is a Thin Lizzy cover, yeah? That song fits them well.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:22 am 

Is there another single coming or what?

I'm no marketing expert, but I don't think "release a boring song and then drop the album five whole months later" is a very good strategy for building hype.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:40 am 

Not sure what people are liking about this new song, to be honest. It's as stock as it gets for me. I'm really hoping the rest of the album lives up to previous efforts, because if it doesn't, it's going to get lumped in with the 2015/2016 pile of mediocre thrash releases by classic bands.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:27 am 

Yeah, it wasn't very good at all. Plus I'm not totally on board with the super-protracted song style they've proffered lately. The lack of short cuts means nothing like "Bring me the Night," "The Armorist," "Save Yourself" et al... no frills bangers like that HAVE to be included.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:56 am 

Emerald is a classic but Overkill do not need to be doing covers at this stage in their career.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:45 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Is there another single coming or what?

I'm no marketing expert, but I don't think "release a boring song and then drop the album five whole months later" is a very good strategy for building hype.

AFAIK, the record was supposed to be released in 2016, but got pushed back (the reason I can't remember and I'm too lazy to google it). That one single was released in time for their European tour with Crowbar to give the fans at least a bit of new music. I would expect another song to drop within a couple of weeks or so. It's still quite some time until the record drops.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:06 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
Emerald is a classic but Overkill do not need to be doing covers at this stage in their career.

Well, they only ever have released one unique, original track as a bonus:

Last.fm

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:16 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:

Well, they only ever have released one unique, original track as a bonus:

Are you sure?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:21 pm 

White Devil Armory has two bonus tracks. Not sure if they're originals or covers.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:41 pm 

Huh, yeah. I though they were both covers.

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:20 am 

It appears we have an album title!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:01 am 

Operation Pivo wrote:
It appears we have an album title!

Last.fm

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:08 am 

LMAO

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:42 pm 

I hope mankind goes to the moon some day.

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:20 am 

Consider me blushingly facepalmed.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:26 pm 

Staying on topic, I remember reading an interview with Blitz where he said that Our Finest Hour was one of the only songs that was similar to the three albums before it. Obviously we'll be able to judge it better when there's another song available but I do find it slightly reassuring.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:42 pm 

Is anybody annoyed by the fact that the gears pictured on the cover would not be able to turn?

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
Is anybody annoyed by the fact that the gears pictured on the cover would not be able to turn?

Maybe it's because they're "locked 'n loaded"? Now that you've mentioned it, it is bothering me. I wouldn't have noticed it. :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:52 pm 

I deducted 10 points off the rating for that without hearing a song.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:12 am 

But guys. Guys. The wheels are grinding.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:23 am 

Pre-order up for new album, I ordered the CD with scarf and plectrums :hyper:

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:40 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I deducted 10 points off the rating for that without hearing a song.

Dude, do you even like OverKill?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:56 am 

You know that post was a joke, right? How could that be serious?

I haven't listened to them much lately and I'm not a big fan like some people but they are a fine band.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:19 am 

Empyreal wrote:
You know that post was a joke, right? How could that be serious?

Yeah I got that, but my question was asked in earnest.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:50 pm 

Hey Overkill, Death Magnetic came out 8 years ago!

All joking aside, I honestly think this song is shit. Super lame, uninspired, and drags on for ages.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:59 pm 

I'm listening to it now and it definitely sounds like retread #whatever. Enjoyable, but the same to a lesser degree of quality. This now makes 2 songs for this album that I already don't care for. Plus I looked at the album length. 1 hour zzzzzz. Ironbound was close to that but it was magnificent the entire time.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next