* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:30 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Xymosys wrote:
Metallica's MA page is completely unusable due to zillion live albums listed. I know all of those are official releases via Metallica Fan club or something, but jeeez, is it really necessary to list them all?!

Yet another occurance of big bands not understanding that nobody wants to hear every single note they ever played. Why are you recording and releasing every single one of the shows you're playing?

It's because people will buy the shows that they are at. My brother bought the shows we went to this summer, and the show he saw on the St. Anger tour. It definitely makes their MA page annoying, but there are other bands that do this sorta thing. Just not that many metal bands because there isn't enough demand for it.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:10 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
Xymosys wrote:
Metallica's MA page is completely unusable due to zillion live albums listed. I know all of those are official releases via Metallica Fan club or something, but jeeez, is it really necessary to list them all?!

Yet another occurance of big bands not understanding that nobody wants to hear every single note they ever played. Why are you recording and releasing every single one of the shows you're playing?

It's because people will buy the shows that they are at. My brother bought the shows we went to this summer, and the show he saw on the St. Anger tour. It definitely makes their MA page annoying, but there are other bands that do this sorta thing. Just not that many metal bands because there isn't enough demand for it.

Yet, I figured that was the target audience for these, but still... if it isn't a little overkill...

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:31 pm 

I have no problems with bands going down the Pearl Jam route. If only Maiden could do the same.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:41 pm 

So I'm listening to Sigh's Scorn Defeat to celebrate it's 30th anniversary, and when I pull it out I notice that the CD copy I have is the 2011 version, ergo not the cover I have on iTunes with the Japanese fellow in corpsepaint and the katana.

I refer to this:

The funny thing is when I open the digipak and read Mirai's notes, he talks about an artwork kerfluffle with the original artwork, and even more shocking he talks about this...

...which I didn't even know existed up until this point. I just always thought it was the katana corpsepaint picture.

My question is, what's the story with the 2011 artwork on the CD digipak I have? There's no reference to it in the liner notes whatsoever. It honestly doesn't even look like Sigh artwork (not helped by the logo and the album title not being on it). It looks like some other 2010s Season Of Mist band artwork.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Last edited by KaiKasparek on Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:55 pm 

Is Horrendous actually a death metal and heavy metal hybrid?

Like, MA has them under "progressive death metal", but if you listen to their most recent, releases, and Ecdysis is actually the one where it's the most noticeable, it feels like a lot of their riffing and songwriting is very much heavy metal.

Thoughts?

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:05 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
I have no problems with bands going down the Pearl Jam route. If only Maiden could do the same.

This. I'd buy multiple gigs from various tours.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:08 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
So I'm listening to Sigh's Scorn Defeat to celebrate it's 30th anniversary, and when I pull it out I notice that the CD copy I have is the 2011 version, ergo not the cover I have on iTunes with the Japanese fellow in corpsepaint and the katana.

I refer to this:

The funny thing is when I open the digipak and read Mirai's notes, he talks about an artwork kerfluffle with the original artwork, and even more shocking he talks about this...

...which I didn't even know existed up until this point. I just always thought it was the katana corpsepaint picture.

My question is, what's the story with the 2011 artwork on the CD digipak I have? There's no reference to it in the liner notes whatsoever. It honestly doesn't even look like Sigh artwork, (not helped by the logo and the album title not being on it it looks like some other 2010s Season Of Mist band artwork.

I think there's been about seven different covers for Scorn Defeat, every time it was reissued it seemed to be with new artwork

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:55 pm 

Is Ghost the last metal band that made it to become big?

Edit: Grammar (still not sure if the question is well written or not)

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:48 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Is Ghost the last metal band that made it to become big?

Edit: Grammar (still not sure if the question is well written or not)

depends on your definitions of "metal" and "big"

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:33 am 

Well, it seems to me they got big after ditching all the metal elements

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:15 am 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:

Yeah when I was deep in my Pearl Jam fandom I was trading bootlegs over alt.music.pearl-jam and when they started the "official bootlegs" series I was in heaven, even if it took away part of the fun of tracking down great soundboard recordings. The problem with Metallica recordings in these days is that you get out of the live environment, and then listen to Lars' drumming without the whole vibe...

I need to get that show I just saw.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:17 am 

1. Who wrote the lyrics to Black Sabbath's Eternal Idol album?

2. Is the cover of Sorcery's Sinister Soldiers depicting a Klan rally???

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:40 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
1. Who wrote the lyrics to Black Sabbath's Eternal Idol album?

"Lyrics written by Bob Daisley, with contributions from Ray Gillen." (from Bob's website)

Wikipedia also says "some lyrics were modified by Geoff Nicholls".

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:42 pm 

So, when it comes to death/doom metal, its a bit of a hit and miss track record with me:

Katatonia: Dance of December Souls- LOVE IT. 10/10 one of my favorite records of all time.
Katatonia: Brave Murder Day- Decent, not as good obviously. Can't remember a lick of it right now.
Cathedral: Forest of Equilibrium- Didn't hold up to me on a recent re-listen. Infinitely prefer Ethereal Mirror and Carnival Bizzare where they excised the death metal out of their sound
Winter: Into Darkness- Solid, but only because it knows when to speed up and it doesn't forget the solos.
Thergothon: Stream From The Heavens- boring and forgettable to me
Hooded Menace: Forgettable except for The Tritonus Bell (8/10) and Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed is ok I guess.
My Dying Bride: ATFW is cool, everything else not so much.

My random question is: Will I like diSEMBOWELMENT?

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:00 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
So, when it comes to death/doom metal, its a bit of a hit and miss track record with me:

Katatonia: Dance of December Souls- LOVE IT. 10/10 one of my favorite records of all time.
Katatonia: Brave Murder Day- Decent, not as good obviously. Can't remember a lick of it right now.
Cathedral: Forest of Equilibrium- Didn't hold up to me on a recent re-listen. Infinitely prefer Ethereal Mirror and Carnival Bizzare where they excised the death metal out of their sound
Winter: Into Darkness- Solid, but only because it knows when to speed up and it doesn't forget the solos.
Thergothon: Stream From The Heavens- boring and forgettable to me
Hooded Menace: Forgettable except for The Tritonus Bell (8/10) and Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed is ok I guess.
My Dying Bride: ATFW is cool, everything else not so much.

I would say maybe. Your comment about Winter makes me think you might like it, but you said Winter is solid, so maybe you'd think Disembowelment is solid and nothing more.

Your comments about Cathedral and Hooded Menace point more in the other direction to me, like you don't like your death doom too much on the death side, and Disembowelment is pretty far on the death side as far as I recall.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:13 pm 

Yeah, death/doom is a shockingly broad genre and really needs re-categorization. People use that term to describe everything from slow melodeath to goth metal with harsh vocals to OSDM that's played slowly.

Disembowelment play my favorite type of death/doom, which is essentially OSDM with lots of extreme tempo changes and a suffocating atmosphere. Quite a bit different than everything else you listed.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:14 pm 

It's not that I don't like the death side of death doom, its that super slow death metal gets boring really quickly to me unless there is something extra to it, like DODS brilliant use of upper string riffs and synths, Winter knowing when to speed up/play leads, and in the case of Tritonus Bell, more midpaced tempos and grooves rather than super slow tempos.

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:18 pm 

Lost Paradise by Paradise Lost is the best death/doom album that I have heard.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:18 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
It's not that I don't like the death side of death doom, its that super slow death metal gets boring really quickly to me unless there is something extra to it, like DODS brilliant use of upper string riffs and synths, Winter knowing when to speed up/play leads, and in the case of Tritonus Bell, more midpaced tempos and grooves rather than super slow tempos.

Well disembowelment is definitely not super slow, and it speeds up quite a bit, so I would say give them a shot.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:24 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Lost Paradise by Paradise Lost is the best death/doom album that I have heard.

I didn't mention this because Lost Paradise is just straight death metal to me.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Well disembowelment is definitely not super slow, and it speeds up quite a bit, so I would say give them a shot.

Ok, I was under the impression it was of the funeral doom persuasion.

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:32 pm 

Nah they have crazy grindcore-speed parts in addition to slow doom parts. Is there a reason you can't just listen for yourself?

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:55 am 

KaiKasparek wrote:

Seriously, you could list and describe your relationship with every album ever made and still NO ONE would be able to answer that question for you or instead of you.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:00 am 

God forbid I solicit for advice.

New question: why were all the pre No Life Til Leather demos deleted from Metallica's discography page?

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:57 pm 

Disembowelment definitely heavily influenced fundoom but its not a fundoom album itself. It is absolutely an unique album that you have to hear for yourself.

Durag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:57 pm 

Whats the best version of Maidens albums sound wise? I've heard the 2015 remasters are overly compressed, but the 98 remasters were very good. Most of my Maiden vinyl are the recent 2015 - or whatever year - remasters, and I used to own a few of the 98 remasters on CD with the multimedia disks.

Just wondering whats considered the best quality soundwise, is it the originals, or some of the remasters?

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:13 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Disembowelment definitely heavily influenced fundoom but its not a fundoom album itself. It is absolutely an unique album that you have to hear for yourself.

It's the first time I ever read this genre named shortened to fundoom, and I think it might be a bit missleading for people unfamiliar with it :lol:

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:27 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

It's the first time I ever read this genre named shortened to fundoom, and I think it might be a bit missleading for people unfamiliar with it :lol:

Trying to think of a band I can call "fun doom."

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:07 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

That's why i came up with it.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:59 pm 

Metal album covers that features mermaids, selkies, or some other similar feminine humanoid aquatic mythical creatures? I know Perils of the Deep Blue by Sirenia.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:09 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

Trying to think of a band I can call "fun doom."

Candlemass is a lot of fun :-P

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:59 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Metal album covers that features mermaids, selkies, or some other similar feminine humanoid aquatic mythical creatures? I know Perils of the Deep Blue by Sirenia.

I found a few mermaids but no mermen. Only one band on the archives has mermaid in their name and the only release didn't have any mermaid artwork. Two of these have mermaid in the title.

Italian power metal band Broken Arrow's only release
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/B ... ness/21891

This band has been around since 1973 and their first release came out in 2005. This is their latest album from 2020
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Y ... aid/870377

Only release from some Brazilian band.
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... aid/135836

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:10 am 

May be kind of a stupid or obvious question, idk, but what are the defining characteristics that make a band "slam"? I'm more of an OSDM guy, (Suffocation, Immolation, Incantation, CC, etc.) but am liking some Devourment and Kraanium lately. And Defeated Sanity and Dying Fetus are bands I've been very much into for some time.... So where is that "line" exactly? Is it strictly the breakdowns and slam style riffs? Is it a certain quantity of these traits that push it into the "slam" category? And also, do all slam bands qualify as metal or are some excluded from the archives for lacking in other "metal" characteristics?

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:54 pm 

Do you consider Hammerheart by Bathory an epic doom metal album? Metal_On_The_Ascendant and I have discussed it, for me the particular sound of that album seems to me to be much more inspired by Candlemass and Into Glory Ride than any other album of that style they released, much slower and very repetitive. Many of the bands with a sound more inspired by this album than any other Bathory album in MA are considered doom metal like Scald or Erbel Altor. I've never found it such a weird take to consider it a viking/epic doom metal album really, but maybe I'm wrong.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:29 pm 

In general I don't think it's a stretch to consider Viking-era Bathory at least partly epic doom. Quorthon doesn't have the vocal chops associated with the general but there's definitely the vibe of crushing riffs + big clean vocal melodies on top. Hammerheart is a good shout for having more of it than the others from that era though since some of the "Viking" aspects with the folk influences and faster songs started taking off more later.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:52 pm 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
May be kind of a stupid or obvious question, idk, but what are the defining characteristics that make a band "slam"? I'm more of an OSDM guy, (Suffocation, Immolation, Incantation, CC, etc.) but am liking some Devourment and Kraanium lately. And Defeated Sanity and Dying Fetus are bands I've been very much into for some time.... So where is that "line" exactly? Is it strictly the breakdowns and slam style riffs? Is it a certain quantity of these traits that push it into the "slam" category? And also, do all slam bands qualify as metal or are some excluded from the archives for lacking in other "metal" characteristics?

Dying Fetus is not slam, but Devourment is, and Defeated Sanity kind of has some slam death elements, without going all in.

I like the definition of RYM for Slam death:

Quote:
Slam Death Metal is a subgenre of Brutal Death Metal that focuses on slow or midtempo (as well as breakdown-style) sections built on chromatic, palm-muted riffs - so called "slams". Compared to brutal death metal's basic songwriting aesthetics, blast beats and guitar solos are less important, though blast beat/tremolo riff sections are frequently applied. The visual aesthetics are quite similar, though slam death metal usually takes the macabre and violent look of brutal death metal to its extreme.

The genre has its origin in the 1990s New York death metal scene (which in turn brought in influences from the sound, attitude and aesthetic of New York Hardcore), where bands such as Suffocation pioneered the use of slam riffs. Devourment and Internal Bleeding are often considered the first true slam bands, as they popularized many of the genre's songwriting conventions and visual aesthetics. Other notable "slam" bands include Cephalotripsy and Short Bus Pile Up. The vocals normally consist of extremely low-pitched, unintelligible death grunts, frequently featuring Hip Hop-inspired vocal rhythms. Hip hop elements often appear in the drumbeats as well.

The genre is sometimes compared to or confused with Nu Metal due to the use of chugging atonal riffs and rap/hip hop influences, and Deathcore due to the guttural vocals, focus on breakdowns and general "tough guy" aesthetic. However, true Slam Death has few real connections to these subgenres apart from certain hybrid bands such as Waking the Cadaver.

The last paragraph I disagree a little with though. Deathcore and slam death share similarities because of the breakdowns, low gutturals, mid-tempo simple chugging riffs, but they are still distinct, as there really aren't hardcore elements in slam, and the building blocks are mostly death metal.

This section is very accurate though: "...subgenre of Brutal Death Metal that focuses on slow or midtempo (as well as breakdown-style) sections built on chromatic, palm-muted riffs - so called "slams". Compared to brutal death metal's basic songwriting aesthetics, blast beats and guitar solos are less important, though blast beat/tremolo riff sections are frequently applied."

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:23 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Dying Fetus is not slam, but Devourment is, and Defeated Sanity kind of has some slam death elements, without going all in.

I like the definition of RYM for Slam death:

Quote:
Slam Death Metal is a subgenre of Brutal Death Metal that focuses on slow or midtempo (as well as breakdown-style) sections built on chromatic, palm-muted riffs - so called "slams". Compared to brutal death metal's basic songwriting aesthetics, blast beats and guitar solos are less important, though blast beat/tremolo riff sections are frequently applied. The visual aesthetics are quite similar, though slam death metal usually takes the macabre and violent look of brutal death metal to its extreme.

The genre has its origin in the 1990s New York death metal scene (which in turn brought in influences from the sound, attitude and aesthetic of New York Hardcore), where bands such as Suffocation pioneered the use of slam riffs. Devourment and Internal Bleeding are often considered the first true slam bands, as they popularized many of the genre's songwriting conventions and visual aesthetics. Other notable "slam" bands include Cephalotripsy and Short Bus Pile Up. The vocals normally consist of extremely low-pitched, unintelligible death grunts, frequently featuring Hip Hop-inspired vocal rhythms. Hip hop elements often appear in the drumbeats as well.

The genre is sometimes compared to or confused with Nu Metal due to the use of chugging atonal riffs and rap/hip hop influences, and Deathcore due to the guttural vocals, focus on breakdowns and general "tough guy" aesthetic. However, true Slam Death has few real connections to these subgenres apart from certain hybrid bands such as Waking the Cadaver.

The last paragraph I disagree a little with though. Deathcore and slam death share similarities because of the breakdowns, low gutturals, mid-tempo simple chugging riffs, but they are still distinct, as there really aren't hardcore elements in slam, and the building blocks are mostly death metal.

This section is very accurate though: "...subgenre of Brutal Death Metal that focuses on slow or midtempo (as well as breakdown-style) sections built on chromatic, palm-muted riffs - so called "slams". Compared to brutal death metal's basic songwriting aesthetics, blast beats and guitar solos are less important, though blast beat/tremolo riff sections are frequently applied."

Exactly what I was looking for, those types of specifics! All of this gives me a better understanding of what differentiates it from good old fashioned brutal death. Thanks, man!

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:14 am 

Sometime between when I started listening to metal in the 90s and the present I've been noticing fairly recently people talking about something called 'breakdowns'. Someone want to help me out with a definition? When did they come into being, or have they always been around and I just haven't been up to date with the lingo?

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:00 am 

Disembodied wrote:
Sometime between when I started listening to metal in the 90s and the present I've been noticing fairly recently people talking about something called 'breakdowns'. Someone want to help me out with a definition? When did they come into being, or have they always been around and I just haven't been up to date with the lingo?

the most famous metal example is probably suffocation's liege of inveracity at about 2:50 - 3:15, which is basically the template for the whole subgenre of slam. there's different styles of breakdowns (especially more hardcore punk vs metallic), but they're basically an abrupt chuggy slow down

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:19 am 

Define "big walls of sound"

Disembodied wrote:

This Suffocation song is a good example of what a breakdown is. The 2:20 part of this song where it slows way down and goes BONG BONG-BONG BONG BONG is a breakdown. Deathcore bands use them a lot for their music too but Suffocation patented breakdowns so every time a band uses one they get a nickle.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:20 pm 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:

The main difference between regular brutal death metal and slam death metal is that the latter is a lot simpler and more monochromatic than stuff like Suffocation or Dying Fetus, the slam band by default is Devourment, those simple chugging riffs that repeat through all their songs, that's what makes slam a different genre. It's like a band took the concept of a breakdown and molded it into a whole genre. Defeated Sanity has some slam parts in their songs, same as Dying Fetus or even good old Suffocation, but slam bands generally play with that style throughout all their repertory.

Another good band to show you what slam is, is Abominable Putridity from Russia, especially their 2012 album The Anomalies Of Artificial Origin:

Disembodied wrote:

Metal Injection did a pretty cool mini documentary about the subject, check this out! But in resume, the breakdown is that chuggy slow part that most metalcore, deathcore, hardcore, and some thrash metal, death metal, slam metal, and brutal death metal have where the riffs are played slowly for a moment with the drums also slowing the tempo creating a powerful and heavy sound that is almost always the climax of the song.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next