Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:03 pm 

LefterisK wrote:
Serious question ahead: I am about to put out a five-song EP, and I wrote the first song with the idea of having an intro (an ambient - drone sounding fx intro that is no more than 40 seconds) integrated in that song, but the producer of the studio I recorded the album in suggested that I should make the intro a separate track, to give the listener the chance to skip it if he/she wants to.

Do you guys skip such build-up introductory tracks (e.g. the one in In the Nightside Eclipse or similar short intros) or do you believe that they indeed offer themselves are as atmospheric, spacey overtures that set the tone of what's about to come.

It depends on the purpose of the intro. If the intro has a lot going on musically, and it perfectly flows into the next track, then it should be a part of the same track. An example of this done right is Black Hole's Demoniac City. An example that is two tracks when it really should have been one is Helloween's Initiation/I'm Alive. It bugs me when one of those two songs come up on shuffle because neither sound right without the other.

Now if an intro is mostly ambient mood setting, then make them separate tracks. An example of an intro on the same track as the main song that's SHOULDN'T be is Dio's Holy Diver. That intro should be skippable. An example of an ambient mood setting intro that is its own track, and as such I think is done as it should be, is Count Raven's Intro: Count Raven.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:21 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
LefterisK wrote:
Serious question ahead: I am about to put out a five-song EP, and I wrote the first song with the idea of having an intro (an ambient - drone sounding fx intro that is no more than 40 seconds) integrated in that song, but the producer of the studio I recorded the album in suggested that I should make the intro a separate track, to give the listener the chance to skip it if he/she wants to.

Do you guys skip such build-up introductory tracks (e.g. the one in In the Nightside Eclipse or similar short intros) or do you believe that they indeed offer themselves are as atmospheric, spacey overtures that set the tone of what's about to come.

It depends on the purpose of the intro. If the intro has a lot going on musically, and it perfectly flows into the next track, then it should be a part of the same track. An example of this done right is Black Hole's Demoniac City. An example that is two tracks when it really should have been one is Helloween's Initiation/I'm Alive. It bugs me when one of those two songs come up on shuffle because neither sound right without the other.

Now if an intro is mostly ambient mood setting, then make them separate tracks. An example of an intro on the same track as the main song that's SHOULDN'T be is Dio's Holy Diver. That intro should be skippable. An example of an ambient mood setting intro that is its own track, and as such I think is done as it should be, is Count Raven's Intro: Count Raven.

I've been listening to I'm Alive without Initiation for over 10 years.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 am 

LefterisK wrote:

this is a very simplistic idea, but you might ask yourself, is it an intro to the first song, or an intro to the album - the former should be a part of the song, the latter its own entity

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:06 pm 

Just found another one: Opeth - Porcelain Heart.

I've warmed up to Watershed somewhat over the years after being thoroughly unimpressed for a long while, but this trainwreck I just can't stand. Potentlially decent ideas throuwn together haphazardly, driven into the ground by endless repetition and sprinkled with more dumb ideas, like those drum fills the second time the "heavy" riff is played - yeah, I get that it takes serious fucking chops to go berserk on the skins while following a completely different tempo from the rest of the instruments and ending perfectly on cue, but hearing an instrument totally out of synch with everything else still sounds awful.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:04 pm 

To whoever said the following: Escape, Gangland, Invaders, Perennial Quest and The Thing That Should Not Be, meet me outside and catch this fade nigga! :mad:

For real man those songs are great. I don't understand the hate for them ESPECIALLY Gangland. It's borderline speed metal and it fucking rips! :headbang:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:09 pm 

"Gangland" isn't too bad but it's easily the worst song on the album. People mostly seem to not like it because of how it compares to anything else on there, except maybe "Invaders" which is also maligned. I don't skip either one - but compared to the title track, "22 Acacia Avenue," "The Prisoner," "Hallowed" or "Children of the Damned"? Pretty clear I think.

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:17 pm 

But why is it the "worst" as you say? To me Run to the Hills is easily the worst track on NotB. I can't stand that damn song.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:21 pm 

metalistkrieg wrote:
But why is it the "worst" as you say? To me Run to the Hills is easily the worst track on NotB. I can't stand that damn song.

Just simpler and less interesting. Run to the Hills is better for me because the chorus is a lot of fun and it has that rocking beat. Gangland just isn't that impressive.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm 

Been listening to a lot of Alice in Chains lately so may as well state the two obvious ones:

'Iron Gland', because it's one intentionally horrible riff and some yelling from Tom Araya (according to Discogs, certain Japanese editions of the album omit it entirely, and retain 'Down In A Hole' as the penultimate track - best version of the album!)

'Love Song' is the other - it's at the end of the album so no skip button is needed but I never play it, again cos it is awful. Why even have it there?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:59 pm 

Dio's Holy Diver. That intro should be skippable.

From someone who hates intros: no!

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:42 pm 

The only sane reason I can think of anyone hating Run To The Hills is overplay. The thing is they don't even play it that much live anymore. Wrathchild, Sanctuary and even NOTB are way more overplayed.

Escape owns.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:46 pm 

I feel a little guilty when I skip overplayed stuff like Paranoid, Iron man, war pigs etc cuz it's not like they know I've heard those songs literally over a thousand times a pop

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:29 pm 

Oh, back on the topic of should intros be their own separate tracks or not:

The Hellion/Electric Eye should've absolutely been one track.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:18 pm 

Nhor wrote:
I feel a little guilty when I skip overplayed stuff like Paranoid, Iron man, war pigs etc cuz it's not like they know I've heard those songs literally over a thousand times a pop

Unlike War Pigs or Iron Man, Paranoid is entirely undeserving of its status. It's literally a throwaway song that they wrote in an hour or whatever, and it contains precisely none of the things that made Sabbath great! There's no atmosphere, no hard hitting riff, no ass-kicking tempo change, and a total throwaway solo! Blegh.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:21 am 

Empyreal wrote:
"Gangland" isn't too bad but it's easily the worst song on the album. People mostly seem to not like it because of how it compares to anything else on there, except maybe "Invaders" which is also maligned. I don't skip either one - but compared to the title track, "22 Acacia Avenue," "The Prisoner," "Hallowed" or "Children of the Damned"? Pretty clear I think.

That's basically it. The remainder songs were simply far greater than Gangland (and Invaders). The thing that annoys me about Gangland is during the solo part. You get the twin guitar bit, which is cool, and then you get a short solo that could have quite easily gone on for longer before the verse comes in again. Just listen to it. You get an 8 second solo followed by 8 seconds of riffage. Why was no solo played over it? Were they rushed in the studio?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:10 pm 

LefterisK wrote:

No. Listen to your instincts, not the producer. I think you have the right idea.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:32 pm 

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree! You can't imagine how many times I'm initially pumped up when listening to music and 'The Hellion' comes on only to end up disappointed when it moves to a different track (I play music on shuffle) and not 'Electric Eye'.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:52 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
No. Listen to your instincts, not the producer. I think you have the right idea.

No, do not trust your instincts. Most people skip intro tracks after the first few listens. Sometimes, they are a decent build in to tracks, but the ambient sort of FX-ish ones rarely do anything that the album itself does not do better. If you tack it onto your track, you risk people skipping that track with the shitty intro. That would be my main concern.

That said, and I'm about to totally contradict myself, I didn't like the way ITNE was reissued with the intro attached to 'Into the Infinity . . .". I suspect my main reason was that I was used to the original release where the crappy intro (also heard in a Katatonia song, cannot rememember which) was seperate. The reissue seemed to be missing something to me.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:33 pm 

Immortal666 wrote:

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree! You can't imagine how many times I'm initially pumped up when listening to music and 'The Hellion' comes on only to end up disappointed when it moves to a different track (I play music on shuffle) and not 'Electric Eye'.

Long noise/ambient intros work better on different tracks, unless it's something really nice, like Hell Awaits or Raining Blood or... hum, I can only think of Slayer right now, but I'm sure that there's other ambient intros that aren't filler.

jdmunyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:37 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
The lame one two punch of you don't have to be old to be wise and living after midnight off of British Steel obviously. Would have been a classic if not for those two tracks. Evening Star and take on the world ruining what would have been another classic. The latter one of if not the worst Priest songs under Halford's tenure.

Changes lame changes. Is rock n roll doctor the worst ozzy Sabbath? Definitely maybe. Of course Breakout on Never say Die. High School band practice.

I'm okay with "You Don't Have to Be Old to Be Wise" and "Living After Midnight", they're better than "United" anyway, definitely the low point on "British Steel".

However, "United" is still better than "Take On the World", what an absolute track of horseshit stuck right in the middle of "Hell Bent for Leather", I make a point to skip it every single time. I almost feel like "British Steel" needs to be rated higher than "Hell Bent for Leather" just because of "Take On the World" (and "Evening Star" to a lesser extent) reallly making the album inconsistent. At least "British Steel" is more consistent.

Also completely agree with "Changes", skip it every time as well. Would 100x rather listen to "FX".

jdmunyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm 

idunnosomename wrote:
I think United is worse. It's like a photocopy of Take on the World - that wasn't very good to begin with.

Don't skip them, but Priest's attempts at making a minimalist anthem ala We Will Rock You never landed very well, did they? I kinda like Heavy Duty/Defenders of the Faith (great riff), but that might be their last crack at it, which after it never got anyone going at concerts they gave up on the idea.

Oh I think Cyberface is a double whammy of embarrassing lyrics/crap, barely realised music that it's worth leaving off the album. Metal Messiah I suppose is passable but it's a shame Demolition goes to such a lame end. It's hard to defend the good songs when you've got a turd like Cyberface.

I have to rate the three "anthems" as getting better over time. "Take On the World" is awful, gets skipped every time. I don't like "United" but I find it less annoying. For some reason I love the hell out of "Heavy Duty/Defenders of the Faith": I agree that it's pretty boring when seeing Priest live, but on the album it's just absolutely reverb-ridden to hell and back and is super-anthemic. It's good that they stopped trying to do those though, given how they know how to right commercial but good rock/metal songs that don't require crowd participation to be energetic.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4