Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 1:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Been obsessed with Scald... I don't know Procession, heard the name though.

When I read the new Scald singer was Chliean I just immediately assumed it was the guy from Procession :). To Reap Heavens Apart is quite good, haven't spun it in forever, though. You'd probably dig it.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 2:37 pm 

Symphony X - Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)

Been listening to a lot of Symphony X lately. It's kinda wild that the albums I thought were far-and-away the best ones (Paradise Lost onwards) are actually just on-par with the older albums.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 3:22 pm 

today:

Redemption - "The Fullness Of Time" and "The Origins Of Ruin"
Some of the best prog metal ever released and Ray Alder's best 'era'. By this point, his voice had matured into a smokey & charismatic tool through which true emotion was conveyed.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:24 pm 

Dissection - Retribution - Storm of the Light's Bane

Specifically the rough mix version from before the album was released.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:26 pm 

Some stuff I've been playing in the car the last few days...

Pharaoh - The Powers That Be
Conception - In Your Multitude

What a sound this kind of thing is - proggy but really only as an accent to just fucking crushing, hard-hitting melodic heavy/power metal. Intelligent, delicate, forceful, it's all just the full package. Charismatic singing, excellent thoughtful yet aggressive playing from every instrument, interesting themes and atmospheres. I hope this kind of thing makes a comeback - it's been tough to find, these last few years.

Paradise Lost - Icon
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times

I really love this style from them, that adventurous sound when they were still young and trying shit a lot. Metallica-esque aggression mixed with trancey post-punk goth melodicism. Nick Holmes really captivates - really strong, robust performances enhanced by gloomy, macabre production jobs and guitars swirling around like a cemetery mist...

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 4:44 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Symphony X - Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)

Been listening to a lot of Symphony X lately. It's kinda wild that the albums I thought were far-and-away the best ones (Paradise Lost onwards) are actually just on-par with the older albums.

I haven't yet gotten to their other works, but this album is superb from start to finish.

Here listening to: Pain's I Am album. Four tracks in and I like it. Catchy, a bit dark, good sound.

Rowolta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 4:49 am 

Just discovered the Austrian black metal band Asmodeus. Currently listening to release Phalanx Inferna from 2003, awesome stuff.
Melodic non-stop blasting, in the veins of Dark Funeral, 1349 etc.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 8:41 am 

Apocalyptica - One (new version featuring James Hetfield and Rob Trujillo)

This ranks high among the worst things I've heard all year. James apparently delivered six different takes and Apocalyptica decided to use a spoken word version. He doesn't sing, he reads the words in a brooding, half-whispered kind of voice. He also doesn't shout during the climax, it's still the same spoken delivery. A rare guest appearance completely wasted. Then there's the instrumentation which has been arranged to the fuck with shitloads of orchestral stuff and chord changes. It makes Nightwish and current-day Dimmu Borgir sound subtle and good old Michael Kamen spin in his grave. Kivilaakso utterly butchers the climax solo. It's offensively bad. The whole thing is almost awe-inspiring in its horridness. (What's worse is that the upcoming album will feature a version of Call of Ktulu, for which they got permission to use Cliff Burton's original bass tracks. I don't want to hear that, if this is the direction they are taking their versions.)

I won't link to it, you have to consciously look it up yourself. Be warned, it fucking sucks, to put it mildly. What I will link is Apocalyptica's original version of One from 1998 which features exactly four cellos which sound like cellos, and the live version from 2011 which is exactly what this new version should have been: Metallica featuring Apocalyptica (the rest of Metallica joins in the climax). One (pun unintended) can only wonder what happened to these cello cunts. They used to make cool, tasteful arrangements and great original compositions. Now they are this eldritch abomination seemingly spawned from the asshole of some fat record executive.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 8:42 am 

Pallbearer - When the Light Fades

I am but a simple man, for when Pallbearer does something, I pay attention.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:19 am 

Whitesnake - Still of the Night

Some hot guitar licks in this.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:22 am 

Subrick wrote:
Pallbearer - When the Light Fades

I am but a simple man, for when Pallbearer does something, I pay attention.

I've not heard the full album but the two songs released in advance of it are spectacular.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:27 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Whitesnake - Still of the Night

Some hot guitar licks in this.

That entire album is replete with masterful licks, but it's to be expected with John Sykes writing the songs.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:48 am 

Belated exploration of Cathedral Part III:

Cathedral – Endtyme ('01)

After the move towards the mainstream on the previous couple of albums, they broaden their mindcuffs, forgo experimentation, reset the clock and deliver crushing Sabbath-inspired doom that gets more psychedelic in the course of the show. It's like their own take on "Paranoid" and "Master of Reality", albeit with additional parts that are slower and heavier than Sabbath. Good but devoid of the pizzazz that characterises many of their other releases. 7.75-8/10

Cathedral – The VIIth Coming ('02)

As slick, accessible and well-balanced as the "Caravan" album. Press play and time flies by. Comes with a homage to Celtic Frost ("Congregation of Sorcerers"). The only aspect I'd criticise is the treble-laden production, which is servicable but never impressive. 8/10

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 10:42 am 

Demon – Invincible

As expected: a supersolid winner. I can't remember what "Unbroken" and "Cemetery Junction" were like, so I can't say how "Invincible" compares to those. Some review on the internet compared it to Saxon, and I'd agree but would add: the melodic and commercial side of Saxon. At the same time, Demon plough the same furrow as Magnum (e.g. in "Cradle to the Grave") and their own classics (especially "Night of the Demon", "The Unexpected Guest" and "Hold on to the Dream"). Right now Dave Hill sings "Beyond the Darkside", and it's as if those classics were playing. Goosebumps. I'm sure next week is going to be the Demon discography week, there's no way around it. 8/10.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:14 am 

Judas Priest - Trial By Fire

Another banger off this rock solid album. Nice Priestly intro.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 am 

Tyrant - Too Late to Pray
Tyrant - Hereafter
Attacker - Battle at Helms Deep

Tyrant was always pretty cool - a darker, meaner take on USPM, more epic than usual. Glen May was unreal, with that sort of thundering tone and the way they produced his voice making him sound like a Greek god coming from the clouds. Robert Lowe is on the 2020 comeback... it's a good, more polished take and it's got some cool, ominous stuff as well, some cool, battering riffs.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 12:14 pm 

Coastliner wrote:

After the move towards the mainstream on the previous couple of albums, they broaden their mindcuffs, forgo experimentation, reset the clock and deliver crushing Sabbath-inspired doom that gets more psychedelic in the course of the show. It's like their own take on "Paranoid" and "Master of Reality", albeit with additional parts that are slower and heavier than Sabbath. Good but devoid of the pizzazz that characterises many of their other releases. 7.75-8/10

As slick, accessible and well-balanced as the "Caravan" album. Press play and time flies by. Comes with a homage to Celtic Frost ("Congregation of Sorcerers"). The only aspect I'd criticise is the treble-laden production, which is servicable but never impressive. 8/10

Both albums are fantastic, IMO. "Endtyme" is among their best 2-3 albums, to my ears.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 1:25 pm 

Attacker - Slayer's Blade

Man, this stuff just gets me going - super pumped up riffs, weird angular songwriting that gives it this obscure, jagged edge to everything. Great heavy guitars and massive riffs. Vocals are a snotty shriek but it fits perfectly. Lot of attitude.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:03 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Coastliner wrote:

Both albums are fantastic, IMO. "Endtyme" is among their best 2-3 albums, to my ears.

Agreed on all counts. Endtyme was like a much needed super heavy reset at the time. It's a 10 in my book.

NP: Solstice - Lamentations

Hard to believe this is 30 years old. Musically it's a tremendous album, even the average vocals can't hold back these great memorable songs.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Neurosis - Times of Grace

The standalone album is really good, but pairing it with the Tribes of Neurot companion album takes this shit to the stratosphere. Immense, trembling wonders. These really arresting soundscapes and heavy as fuck moments trading off - wild, vivid textures. I haven't heard a few of the later albums yet, but this could be their masterpiece when heard like intended.

How did you hear it like this? I'd forgotten they did that. Back when it came out I remember reading you could do this but you had to have 2 players hooked up and push play simultaneously, so I never did that. Times Of Grace is a wicked album as is but your description is making me want to hear it with TON.

NP: Scald - Will Of Gods Is A Great Power

Great debut album. Looking forward to the rather lazily named new album with the awesome Felipe Plaza Kutzbach on vocals from the mighty Procession.

I have iTunes and the media player on my computer playing it in sync. I also found a few uploads to Youtube that have them in the same video... also I have an audio/video editor I might splice them together in when I get time. It's really cool to hear it that way.

Thanks, I'll look for it on YouTube.

NP: Solitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths Of Sorrow

Right from the get-go SA were on fuckin fire. Even Candlemass couldn't match em.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:47 pm 

Iced Earth - Iced Earth

Great, tight riffing and Gene is quite a vocalist; he sounds half bug, half human and 100% awesome.

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 3:39 pm 

Dream Theater - "When Dream & Day Unite"
I've never really given this album more than a cursory listen. Not sure why.
But I've remedied that & have had it on 'repeat' the past few hours. This is quite good...probably their most "Rush like" album. Really good stuff.

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 5:10 pm 

ADX - La terreur

Great french speed metal.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 6:14 pm 

Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond The Crimson Horizon

Just as awesome as the debut. SA quite simply had ALL of the ingredients for greatness.

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 7:15 pm 

Medieval Demon- Black Coven
This album is awesome. Greek black metal, interesting listen, Hammond Organs, Saxophones, excellent keyboards and arrangements, vocals are fantastic. I bought this band's 4 full lengths recently, glad I did.

~Guest 2370117
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:54 pm 

King Diamond - Abigail

What a day... I'm annoyed as a mf, the stupidity of some people leaves me aghast. Just putting that out there :lol:

Abigail, perfect album to get lost in. Concept album and the concept is awesome, the songs are fantastically memorable; full of intricacies in the songwriting and the instrumentation. The performances are absolutely ridiculous, Andy and King along with the rest of the boys get it done in effortless style. One of the pillars of metal if you ask me. (But Goose, who the fuck asked?)

Honestly, King's falsetto isn't even what gets me going on this album, it's his goblin-like croak. He perfected it by this point, it sounds disgusting. He goes from his highs to his nasty croaks as if he was born singing like that. Legend.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:30 pm 

Stormwitch - Night Stalker

These first few albums are flawlessly done trad metal, just nothing but what you need, essential riff and chorus stuff...

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:18 am 

Powerwolf - 1589

Wow, quite an experimental, progressive and avant-garde piece of musi-I'm just kidding, it sounds like Powerwolf.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:31 am 

Drawn and Quartered - Embrace of Darkness

Really good death metal.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 12:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Man, this stuff just gets me going - super pumped up riffs, weird angular songwriting that gives it this obscure, jagged edge to everything. Great heavy guitars and massive riffs. Vocals are a snotty shriek but it fits perfectly. Lot of attitude.

One of those bands I've never really checked out much. Should I start with Battle at Helm's Deep?

What am I saying, of course I'm starting there. I can't pass up a good Tolkien themed album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 1:50 pm 

Hardworlder wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

One of those bands I've never really checked out much. Should I start with Battle at Helm's Deep?

What am I saying, of course I'm starting there. I can't pass up a good Tolkien themed album.

I've only heard that and the second album so far, and Battle at Helms Deep is the better one if you're like me and enjoy the quirky, underground side of USPM... second one's cool too but more of a Judas Priest/Liege Lord thing, more straight-up. I plan on hitting up the reunion albums soon too.

AWinterShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 2:25 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Iced Earth - Iced Earth

Great, tight riffing and Gene is quite a vocalist; he sounds half bug, half human and 100% awesome.

The first three Iced Earth Albums are absolute classics. I could entirely do without anything they did after that, even if there's a good track here or there.

But the re-release artwork on this album is absolute dog vomit bad! The original was based off some classic artwork, but the rework is basically some color blind garbage spewed up from some hack that makes my eyes bleed....and I thought the McFarlane art that came after that was crappy, but this is so bad I can't get myself to get a replacement for my old worn out cassette that has this 'art-fail' on it.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 2:26 pm 

High Power - Offrande Charnelle

One of the few heavy metal songs that recalls the occult. Awesome demonic vocals and moody guitars.

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

Rowolta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 2:36 pm 

Listening to the Placenta Powerfist album Pandemic Cleanse

Brutal death metal. Released 2019. Intensity in this release unmatched, insane drive.

https://youtu.be/JdaZPFt3G44?si=i8tyOZhR_ql9FEm7

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 4:16 pm 

Gods Tower - The Eerie
Bathory - Nordland I
Bathory - Lake Of Fire/Destroyer Of Worlds/Ode

Getting in a hefty dose of epic this frosty Sunday morning before the Fury vs Usyk fight kicks off.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 4:23 pm 

Darkthrone - Rust

Hate Them is a summer album.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 6:51 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Hardworlder wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I've only heard that and the second album so far, and Battle at Helms Deep is the better one if you're like me and enjoy the quirky, underground side of USPM... second one's cool too but more of a Judas Priest/Liege Lord thing, more straight-up. I plan on hitting up the reunion albums soon too.

NP Helm's Deep
What a gem. Yeah quirky for sure, love the screaming vocals.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 2:12 am 

It's a lot of fun. It's one of those crazy things I'm amazed I didn't hear, with all the old USPM I play all the time.

Black Sabbath - Voodoo

This one is a sort of weird thing since it's a different drummer from the similar Heaven & Hell... but it's not a huge deal. Tony's riff style is always like coming home. Dio is such a talented singer it's insane and he should've lived forever. A warmer, more organic production than the previous, and they create some seedy vibes.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 8:48 am 

Ghoul - The Eyes of the Witch

This is Ghoul in absolute top form. They really put their all into this quaint little EP and I am here for it.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 8:58 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Powerwolf - 1589

Wow, quite an experimental, progressive and avant-garde piece of musi-I'm just kidding, it sounds like Powerwolf.

They have a new one coming out?

...I am now shocked and offended Running Wild have never titled one of their songs "Sinners of the Seven Seas."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2930, 2931, 2932, 2933, 2934, 2935, 2936 ... 2939  Next