Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 1:12 pm 

Speaking of Landscapes, I enjoy lots of albums in that style, but it's such a tedious listen. It doesn't feel compelling enough for its length (over 2 hours) for me to want to go back to it, but neither is it outright terrible. I think that every Ildjarn album could have been better if he put 10 tracks on each of them instead of 20.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 9:44 am 

ITT: People posting albums by good bands that they happened not to like (Riot, Fates Warning, Deströyer 666, Cynic, etc.).

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 1:27 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
ITT: People posting albums by good bands that they happened not to like (Riot, Fates Warning, Deströyer 666, Cynic, etc.).

Don't get me wrong man. I love Riot but their two latest albums had been underwhelming. It's better if they don't release anything else and just do live shows. AOL and the new one were veeeeery underwhelming.... Unleash the Fire was very good though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm 

Yeah but this is "the WORST album you found on the archives"... not just "albums that aren't as good as you hoped"...

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 8:17 pm 

There should be a separate category for "Most dissapointing albums found on the Metal Archives."

For example, "St. Anger," "Cold Lake" "Illud Divinum Insanus" etc. are crap albums, especially given the standards set by the respective bands who created them.

However, these albums are rated lower because the expectations of them were higher, given that the bands who created them had higher standards. The worst of the worst albums are generally by bands who were NEVER good, and consist of unlistenable garbage produced by so-called "musicians" with no musical talent.

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:38 pm 

Yeah, naming Riot or Fates Warning here like they're fucking Jewicide is weird as hell.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:18 pm 

linkavitch wrote:
Every NSBM album

Goatmoon and Absurd's 'Totenlieder' are great though.
And to the poster who mentioned 'Tol cormpt Norz Norz Norz...', nah, that's just the sound of a bunch of drunken louts taking the piss out of the seriousness of black metal and, therefore, themselves. Apart from the goofy intros there are some great songs on there, a bit like 'Speak English or die'.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:20 am 

I gave Landscapes a 100% review. I genuinely really connected with what Ildjarn were going for on there and I used to put in on a lot while I studied/wrote.

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 1:25 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
Oh shit man, how did I forget about Satanic Corpse? Same unhinged vibes as The Great Kat.

I went down a Great Kat rabbit hole decades ago so looked her up. Turns out she's gone active again last year, and has 8 'full lengths' (mostly around the 30 minute mark) released already this year.

Only listened to the most recent. It sounds like she's taken unaltered musak-like backing tracks to classical pieces then played violin or electric over them. Some are medleys with very random cuts.

I'm left wondering what she's trying to achieve. If this was all about parody it's redundant at this point. Perhaps a quick cash grab (how??) or perhaps she truly is unhinged.

Not going to claim it's the worst thing on MA, she has a recognisable guitar style.

Maybe you want to see her playing the Brazilian nation anthem?

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 1:46 am 

Voidsel wrote:
Not going to claim it's the worst thing on MA, she has a recognisable guitar style.

Maybe you want to see her playing the Brazilian nation anthem?

Just played this for my cat, the look on his face was fuckin great.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:03 am 

Voidsel wrote:
I'm left wondering what she's trying to achieve. If this was all about parody it's redundant at this point. Perhaps a quick cash grab (how??) or perhaps she truly is unhinged.

Even if The Great Kat is a parody, the way it is done is nevertheless unhinged. It can't be about money because who the fuck would buy this, and minute-long YouTube uploads (that feel like 20 minutes) don't generate ad revenue. Also, is there a way to autogenerate videos like that? The editing on those is a clusterfuck that would surely be a major pain in the ass to do manually. If not, I guess there is some gimp strapped to a computer in her basement who gets paid to edit by getting to lick her heels. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3