Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:51 am 

Californian death metallers will release their third full length, Lifeless Birth, on April 13 through Tankcrimes. From the press release:

Quote:
It’s not about giving up a ferocity that’s helped make them a household name among the converted. Instead, Necrot uses that same, by-now-characteristic intensity as the backdrop for an expanded songwriting palette. They’ve always been a band who stood out. The maturity they show on Lifeless Birth confirms that’s been the plan all along. It is a vision of what metal can be and do in 2024, tearing down old barriers and keeping those traditional elements that make it stronger.

Recorded with Grammy-winning producer Greg Wilkinson — who has helmed all three Necrot albums — and mastered by Brad Boatright at Audiosiege, Lifeless Birth pivots fluidly between technical intricacy, progressive poise and all-out brutality. Scouring lead work will have thrash heads nodding knowingly, and an overarching groove reaches out across the metal microgenres with a righteous call to worship. Its songs are memorable and varied, unpretentious but able to rear up with statelier violence. At the same time, “Drill The Skull,” “Cut The Cord,” “The Curse” and others prove that just because a song is beating you into the ground doesn’t mean it can’t also be forward-thinking. Or catchy.

“The last few years have been tough for us and pretty much for everyone,” notes Indrio. “The result is Lifeless Birth, our most aggressive album so far, but at the same time also the most melodic. We have always been progressing as a band and I think this is our full maturity stage. We have been Necrot for thirteen years now, we work hard to continue doing what we do, and we have sacrificed a lot to it. We want to give our contribution to what metal is and will be, we don’t want to just pass by unnoticed. We want to live our mark and so far, Lifeless Birth is without doubt our best effort.

Tracklisting:
1. Cut the Cord
2. Lifeless Birth
3. Superior
4. Drill the Skull
5. Winds of Hell
6. Dead Memories
7. The Curse

Cut the Cord has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

The new single definitely sounds like Necrot, but as they said in the press release it's a lot more melodic compared to anything off of their previous two full lengths. The band as a whole is pretty reliable so I'm sure the album will be great overall.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:11 pm 

That cover art is pretty damn wild, lol.
New song is good.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:30 pm 

Love the debut and liked what i heard off the follow up so I'll be buying this when it drops. Single is great.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:08 pm 

The cover art is incredibly good, the concept of a hellish punishment where you spin around a demon waiting to be devoured by it and then be reborn from its mouth-vagina is without a doubt the most metal thing I've seen in a long time. Kudos to the originator of the idea and the artist.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:18 pm 

Really like the single. Their previous two albums have been fantastic, so I'm looking forward to hearing them go on a more melodic direction.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:52 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
The cover art is incredibly good, the concept of a hellish punishment where you spin around a demon waiting to be devoured by it and then be reborn from its mouth-vagina is without a doubt the most metal thing I've seen in a long time. Kudos to the originator of the idea and the artist.

Reminds me of these pencils:

But the single sounds great! Can't wait for the album. Really liked the previous two.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:42 pm 

I really like the new song. All of their releases have been great in my opinion and I expect the new one to be as well.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:43 pm 

Yay! Long overdue, should make my AOTY list unless there are any surprises.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:00 pm 

Necrot is a fantastic band, one of the best of the new wave of death metal. I am going to keep an eye on this new stuff, their last two albums were modern death metal classics.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:35 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:

Cut the Cord has been released as the first single:

Yup. That's Necrot all right. Funny to me how this band only needs two months to hype an album yet Metallica and Judas Priest need half a fucking year.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:30 am 

Here's the second single:

This one's quite a bit more midpaced and groovy.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:05 am 

Not as good as "Drilling Your Head" by 200 Stab Wounds (which the title made me think of), but still pretty good.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:15 pm 

Fucking hyped. I am ready for the album.

CrystalMountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:24 am 

Awesome stuff, this is the next album that I'm really anticipating.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:30 am 

The second single was pretty good, love the groove approach that they made. I hope the new album is a little bit slower and groovy than the last one.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:55 pm 

Playing 'Mortal' for the third time now and god this is a good fucking band. Just pummeling and tight but really immediate and in your face in the best DM way. Basic but not imitative. Really fucking impressed.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:59 pm 

I am sorta holding my breath on this one. Haven’t been a big fan of the last two albums, just too simple and basic for my liking. But these two singles sound more fresh, so there’s a hope I suppose.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:15 am 

When I just want to listen to driving death metal, this band totally scratches that itch.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:57 am 

Here's the full album stream:

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 am 

Not bad at all! Certainly dig it more than the last two.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:06 pm 

I'd say this one is at least on par with the last one if not better, and I thought Mortal was better than Blood Offerings. Very satisfied with it.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:27 pm 

I don't know if I like it better than the last two albums yet but I thought this album was damn good and in the same ballpark. Definitely going to be listening to this one a lot more.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:34 pm 

I think this may be my favorite of theirs yet, but I haven't put nearly as many spins on the second one as the first.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:50 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
the concept of a hellish punishment where you spin around a demon waiting to be devoured by it and then be reborn from its mouth-vagina is without a doubt the most metal thing I've seen in a long time.

:lol:

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:05 pm 

Gave it a listen earlier today, and this one was really good as expected. Necrot certainly doesn't miss!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:19 am 

This sounds about on par with the killer Mortal - maybe a little more melodic guitars, a little more diversity, which is cool to hear. They do sound like they're broadening the sound but in a natural way, just evolving the existing template rather than going out on a limb. I hear some spicing in of thrash and black metal shadings in the guitars - cool. On my second listen and it's just a great blast of fucking feral aggression.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
This sounds about on par with the killer Mortal - maybe a little more melodic guitars, a little more diversity, which is cool to hear. They do sound like they're broadening the sound but in a natural way, just evolving the existing template rather than going out on a limb. I hear some spicing in of thrash and black metal shadings in the guitars - cool. On my second listen and it's just a great blast of fucking feral aggression.

Absolutely! I am really glad they added more modern twists and turns to OSDM sound...I mean, their debut sounded like they’re 30 years too late for the party...which they were. And even if I disregard that fact, they still sounded pretty average even by 90s standards, but a new one clicks with me much better.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:19 pm 

I only heard about half of the first one but it sounded good. To me they just hit a spot of clear, direct, aggressive DM - not overly modern nor is it the cavernous sound that I'm not always in the mood for. I like this stuff to be like a punch in the face. This one and Mortal are both around the same level for me so far - and that they're not directly like any one band is another positive for me. Straightforward but in their own lane.

AlienZombie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:18 pm 

Probably my least favorite thing they've put out. Definitely slowed down the pace a bit, but I can certainly appreciate them not wanting to just do the same thing over and over. That said, I'll probably still pick it up, they are one of my favorite modern death metal bands overall.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:05 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
I'd say this one is at least on par with the last one if not better, and I thought Mortal was better than Blood Offerings. Very satisfied with it.

The one with The Blade?Rather be Dead?

No way

It’s their best album

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:10 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

No way

It’s their best album

I disagree. Upon listening to all three again, the new one is by far the best in my opinion.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:17 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

No way

It’s their best album

I disagree. Upon listening to all three again, the new one is by far the best in my opinion.

Sry I was referring to the comparison between the first two, I still have to listen to the third carefully…

It wasn't clear from my post

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:14 pm 

Fucking killer, as expected. One for the top half of the AOTY list!

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 am 

This is really good.

Better than Blood Offerings, IMO. I've not yet heard Mortal, but I want to after devouring this beast.

Reply to topic