5.All Hope Destroyed 05:44
6.Portal of Myriad 04:13
7.Dark Age of Ruin 03:58
8.Upon Desolate Sands 05:01
9.For Whom We Have Lost 03:17

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:53 pm 

Crazy band. The best thing about Hate Eternal is that there is no compromise what so ever, in any of their albums. It's a pure, concentrated assault on the senses. And I like that in the last couple albums they have tried to diversify the sound a bit so its not just straight forward tremolo riffs and chords anymore, but there is actually a bit more of a (dissonant) melody in the pieces.

Can't wait to hear it.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:58 pm 

Shame it isn't the same drummer as the last album (that dude was NUTS), but any new Hate Eternal is welcome in my book.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:30 pm 

I really like the artwork too.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:22 pm 

I've thoroughly enjoyed every Hate Eternal album... even Fury & Flames, which catches a lot of flak (and sure, the mix could've been better), but I find their music relentless & uncompromising and it endures, for me anyway, because there are some great flourishes and details in virtually all of their songs. Granted, they are often buried beneath a barrage of blast beats.

Just looked up 'flourish' to be sure it was what I meant, and it reads: a bold or extravagant gesture or action, made especially to attract the attention of others. So yeah, I think their work is full of that, though you have to give it some time.

They're one of those bands that, if someone doesn't know what death metal is & if they hear some Hate Eternal, it's going to confirm all their worst fears because it's such an assault on the senses, haha. Like when I once played Behemoth for this poor woman who didn't know what extreme metal was, but she was curious, so asked me to put some on. She listened for maybe 10 seconds and developed a very concerned look on her face before replying, "Oooh, I don't think I like that." With Hate Eternal she would've said it in 3 seconds:)

I'll get this for sure though.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:53 pm 

Any insight into why this band never got more recognition? I've always enjoyed their records, as it seems most here have too. As the first reply said, they've never compromised or went in an unwanted direction. Seems like the makings for a bigger DM band.

Anyway, this is great! Can't wait to check out the full thing.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:01 am 

Bingewolf wrote:
Any insight into why this band never got more recognition? I've always enjoyed their records, as it seems most here have too. As the first reply said, they've never compromised or went in an unwanted direction. Seems like the makings for a bigger DM band.

I don't know. Hate Eternal can, admittedly, get a little monotonous at times because they seem to have just one speed (overdrive), & I think that gets old for a lot of people. But that's the appeal for others- just their sheer relentlessness. And I personally think there's plenty going on within the barrage- just great guitar licks & solos, etc. strewn throughout their songs. So, yeah it's a good question. Maybe they were a little late to the game? Seems the biggest bands in death metal started in the early 90s (Morbid Angel, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Entombed...) Hate Eternal formed in the late 90s and didn't release 'Conquering The Throne' till '99. Wonder if that has anything to do with it? Though Nile formed around then & I'm guessing they're way more popular...

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:15 am 

Can always count on Hate Eternal, and the new song rules. Totally going to pick this up when it's out.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:44 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Shame it isn't the same drummer as the last album (that dude was NUTS), but any new Hate Eternal is welcome in my book.

Right, but Grossmann becoming a session (full?) member is even better in my book.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 am 

Epicureo wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Right, but Grossmann becoming a session (full?) member is even better in my book.

Agreed, Grossmann is a very talented drummer. He has plenty of credibility what with performing with Necrophagist and Obscura. Not to mention I saw him on their tour with Misery Index and he did great.
I’m looking forward to the new album as well. I don’t expect anything new. I assume it will continue where Infernus left off. Erik Rutan is a very talented musician/producer.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:13 am 

Great tune, brutal and catchy. Infernus is the best album they have released since I, Monarch so my expectations for the new album are set pretty high, especially now that Hannes Grossmann is in the band.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 am 

The new song sounds inspired, just like the last album was. Bring it on.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:49 pm 

I love Rutan, and will always check out anything he releases. Had no idea this was on the way.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:05 pm 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
I've thoroughly enjoyed every Hate Eternal album... even Fury & Flames, which catches a lot of flak (and sure, the mix could've been better), but I find their music relentless & uncompromising and it endures, for me anyway, because there are some great flourishes and details in virtually all of their songs. Granted, they are often buried beneath a barrage of blast beats.

Just looked up 'flourish' to be sure it was what I meant, and it reads: a bold or extravagant gesture or action, made especially to attract the attention of others. So yeah, I think their work is full of that, though you have to give it some time.

They're one of those bands that, if someone doesn't know what death metal is & if they hear some Hate Eternal, it's going to confirm all their worst fears because it's such an assault on the senses, haha. Like when I once played Behemoth for this poor woman who didn't know what extreme metal was, but she was curious, so asked me to put some on. She listened for maybe 10 seconds and developed a very concerned look on her face before replying, "Oooh, I don't think I like that." With Hate Eternal she would've said it in 3 seconds:)

I'll get this for sure though.

I actually wanted to touch on the accessibility of Hate Eternal, because I think you're right.

I would say Infernus had a cleaner production than the last few albums, which means you had a better, clearer idea of what was going on. I had two coworkers do "The Chosen One" and then "Invert The Idols" by Dying Fetus. Even with the more shocking name, they both liked Dying Fetus more because it was somewhat less chaotic a listen for them.

Hate Eternal gives NO rest, and I love that.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:56 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
I actually wanted to touch on the accessibility of Hate Eternal, because I think you're right.

I would say Infernus had a cleaner production than the last few albums, which means you had a better, clearer idea of what was going on. I had two coworkers do "The Chosen One" and then "Invert The Idols" by Dying Fetus. Even with the more shocking name, they both liked Dying Fetus more because it was somewhat less chaotic a listen for them.

That's funny... And I love Dying Fetus too- fantastic band. But it's interesting (though somehow not surprising) that all the chaos, the sheer ferocity of something like Hate Eternal, is more repulsive than even Dying Fetus (name *taken* into account, haha). And Fetus has that groove going, so you could see how, between the two at least, they're a bit more "appealing".

This music we love is very alien to the 'untrained ear' & I sometimes forget... I had Malevolent Creation's badass 'Envenomed' album on when my older sister came to visit & I wasn't even thinking about it, but she gave the speakers this quizzical look like... "What the- ?" she can't even begin to process it, you know? It just sounds like a loud racket and nothing else... \m/

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:09 pm 

This is a very interesting thread.

It’s surprising to hear praise for the last few albums (everything after I, Monarch)-I find them literally unlistenable. Nothing to do with the writing or performances, but I just find these albums to be incredibly ear fatiguing after 2-3 songs tops. It’s why I despise Rutan as a producer (with Icons Of Evil being his absolute nadir).

It’s like, I *know* there are elite performances on these albums, but the recordings are near totally incomprehensible. Fury & Flames is a particularly torturous listen. I personally find Death Magnetic to be a less painful and more comprehensible listening experience.

It’s almost as if I need to absorb each song on these albums once at a time with breaks in between to prevent burnout.

But hey, that’s me. No slight at all on those who enjoy these records for the more savage/punishing/intense listening experience.

This new song is pretty good. Derek Roddy is the best drummer this band ever had, but Grossnann does excellent work here.
Obliteration

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:54 pm 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

That's funny... And I love Dying Fetus too- fantastic band. But it's interesting (though somehow not surprising) that all the chaos, the sheer ferocity of something like Hate Eternal, is more repulsive than even Dying Fetus (name *taken* into account, haha). And Fetus has that groove going, so you could see how, between the two at least, they're a bit more "appealing".

This music we love is very alien to the 'untrained ear' & I sometimes forget... I had Malevolent Creation's badass 'Envenomed' album on when my older sister came to visit & I wasn't even thinking about it, but she gave the speakers this quizzical look like... "What the- ?" she can't even begin to process it, you know? It just sounds like a loud racket and nothing else... \m/

They even said, with clean vocals, Dying Fetus would be a cool listen and asked if they had any instrumental tracks.

They enjoyed Dragonforce at least :P

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:55 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
This is a very interesting thread.

It’s surprising to hear praise for the last few albums (everything after I, Monarch)-I find them literally unlistenable. Nothing to do with the writing or performances, but I just find these albums to be incredibly ear fatiguing after 2-3 songs tops. It’s why I despise Rutan as a producer (with Icons Of Evil being his absolute nadir).

It’s like, I *know* there are elite performances on these albums, but the recordings are near totally incomprehensible. Fury & Flames is a particularly torturous listen. I personally find Death Magnetic to be a less painful and more comprehensible listening experience.

It’s almost as if I need to absorb each song on these albums once at a time with breaks in between to prevent burnout.

But hey, that’s me. No slight at all on those who enjoy these records for the more savage/punishing/intense listening experience.

This new song is pretty good. Derek Roddy is the best drummer this band ever had, but Grossnann does excellent work here.

I actually like Rutan as a producer. It feels like the music is burying you, if that makes sense.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:57 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
It’s like, I *know* there are elite performances on these albums, but the recordings are near totally incomprehensible. Fury & Flames is a particularly torturous listen.

I will say it's not a band I could throw on every day, week after week. If I'm in the mood, I'll listen, like it's been 'King Of All Kings', 'Infernus' & 'Fury & Flames' over the last few weeks, mixed in with stuff like Incantation, Immolation, Cobalt, Darkthrone, Skeletonwitch, etc. So, in a way, I agree with your line about "breaks in between to prevent burnout". Nonstop blast beats & mega-dense mixes can definitely become exhausting after a while.

In fact, when I need a respite just from metal in general, I find myself throwing on some Mozart or Coltrane, Django Reinhardt or something like that just to give my mind a break

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:27 am 

I really only got into King of all Kings, which is an album that I still play semi regularly. I do like the onslaught that comes with this band.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:14 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
I really only got into King of all Kings, which is an album that I still play semi regularly. I do like the onslaught that comes with this band.

I had a little difficulty listening to "King of All Kings" when it first came out. I was new to death metal at the time and that album was so fast. "King of All Kings" is a classic album. I think my favorite is their debut album. I like the Suffocation vibe on there with Doug Cerrito.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:30 pm 

I need to revisit their catalog, I wasn't thrilled with Phoenix, but I HAVE to say - Fury and Flames IS a masterpiece. It's the most punishing, brutal album, and the drumming is out of this world, as is the bass playing. Yeah, the sound could be a bit less bass-driven/boomy, but ever since I got into high-end audio I realized this isn't as bad as people perceive - most people listen to music on garbage gear that can't handle this production. But as far as the songs, some of the best, period. I was sad to see the bandwagon that left such a low rating in the Archives for such an incredible performance.

Unholy Philosopher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:28 am 

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:40 am 

Just listened to that song, killer track. More of the same consistency really, not a bad thing at all.

Does anyone know what's going on in that album cover by the way?

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:46 pm 

Looks to me at a glance like a guy got shot up by arrows ans left for dead, but when the carrion birds came to eat him he fought back, stabbing one with an arrow. Reminds me of the Tree of Woe from the Conan the Barbarian movie where he bites the vulture that has come to feast on his crucified body.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:13 am 

New track fucking rules, pretty heavy stuff. I also like the artwork so I have good expectations with this one. :)

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:51 am 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Looks to me at a glance like a guy got shot up by arrows ans left for dead, but when the carrion birds came to eat him he fought back, stabbing one with an arrow. Reminds me of the Tree of Woe from the Conan the Barbarian movie where he bites the vulture that has come to feast on his crucified body.

My interpretation is more like he *and* the bird have been shot with the arrows by some unseen foe. It looks like he's trying to help the bird by removing the arrow... and the other birds seem calm & as if they understand he's on their side. Least that's my take. But maybe it doesn't add up bc why's he hanging out w/ carrion birds?

Also looks to be the same artist as the last record ~ \m/ the mighty Infernus \m/ ~

Anyhow, I'm stoked for this. I passed on the new Deicide, passed on Pig Destroyer... Let Immortal whiz by (tho I just might grab that one if I see it used) But Hate Eternal I shall grab & devour. Just feel this band/Rutan have been consistently badass since the start & there isn't a weak record in the bunch, imo

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:05 am 

So here we have another new song:

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:32 pm 

Y'know now that I've heard the album I almost feel like this is the best Hate Eternal release yet. They do a better job at pacing everything despite still being a pretty relentless listen, and a lot of Rutan's most creative riffing is on this record. Nothingness of Being, Portal of Myriad, and Dark Age of Ruin are some initial favorites of mine but it's pretty damn consistent. I wish there were a few more of Rutan's otherworldly solos on it and his vocals do get a bit buried in the mix but overall I'm damn surprised in a good way.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:20 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Y'know now that I've heard the album I almost feel like this is the best Hate Eternal release yet. They do a better job at pacing everything despite still being a pretty relentless listen, and a lot of Rutan's most creative riffing is on this record. Nothingness of Being, Portal of Myriad, and Dark Age of Ruin are some initial favorites of mine but it's pretty damn consistent. I wish there were a few more of Rutan's otherworldly solos on it and his vocals do get a bit buried in the mix but overall I'm damn surprised in a good way.

First impression is great but I don´t know if it can be better than I, Monarch.

Reply to topic