Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:02 pm 

...This got me in tears of laughter. God damnit!

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:52 pm 

colin040 wrote:

...This got me in tears of laughter. God damnit!

James LaBrie is just the absolute worst these days. DT is even downtuning the old songs nowadays (obvious in the vid) to accommodate his aging voice and he still can't get the job done. Grand master Petrucci (he basically runs DT by himself since Portnoy's departure) is utterly oblivious because he is known to have zero vocals in his in ears.

They should can LaBrie post haste, but Petrucci is probably of the mindset that the fans would not be able to handle another significant lineup change, let alone that of the long time vocalist. Really poor form.

Oh, and DT is a pre recorded backing track band these days (patently obvious in the video)? Fucking lame and weak...
Obliteration

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:57 am 

James LaBrie has definitely gone downhill. I'm not a big fan of any of his performances and it's not even the higher notes that bother me nowadays (although he can still pull off a single shriek here and there, his actual ability to sing higher notes like he did in the past has diminished a lot) but his unclear sound that appears during his mid/higher register is such a huge turn off.

Someone like Ray Alder, even though he's far from the singer he used to be, has learnt to adapt around older tunes at least.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:28 am 

colin040 wrote:
[] his actual ability to sing higher notes like he did in the past has diminished a lot) but his unclear sound that appears during his mid/higher register is such a huge turn off.

Nail hit on the head. I couldn't even finish watching that video because of that. And I though Warrel Dane was bad during his last years...

Yes it is.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:06 pm 

Okay, so with all the Paul Di'Anno stuff on the last page, why is it he no longer forms words when he sings?

I mean, his high notes themselves suggest he has some range left, but if you hadn't heard the songs before you'd assume the lyrics for them were all: "fuhsfshfigosejgioesjgioesjgioedjfsioajfioawkrfo fvsigjesigjesgjesiogjeogjoesir"

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:45 pm 

^because he's a fucking mess

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:54 pm 

Since we're on the topic of LaBrie, I can't stop sharing videos from this utterly retarded fuckery.

Ontsarguiz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:12 am 

Last edited by Ontsarguiz on Sat May 02, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:34 pm 

Thor - Live on London

Hilarius, atrocious, 100% entertaining!!!

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:50 pm 

Well, there's this...erm, unique cover of "Still of the Night" by Whitesnake that Tarja Turunen did...

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:38 pm 

I actually think Damien Storm would have done a better version of that, vocally. And the musicians don't even play the fucking riff! It takes all the drama out of the song and reduces it to, well, modern symphonic quasi-metal mush.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:36 pm 

The Roadrunner United show is fine terms of the performances, but the tacked-on crowd noise is hilarious.

Two of my friends attended the show and said that besides the first few rows everyone in the audiences were your typical too-cool-for-school NYC hipster douchebags who just stood there with their arms crossed and didn't make a sound. I can't blame them for trying to make a dead crowd seem more intense and crazy in post, but did they have to make it that obvious?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:23 pm 

Part of the problem with the DVD as well is that wretched production. It's so obvious that all the instruments were dubbed or sampled, and it takes away most of the live feel of the performances. It's the same problem with that last Testament live DVD.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:03 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:

Well, there's this...erm, unique cover of "Still of the Night" by Whitesnake that Tarja Turunen did...

Acrobat wrote:
I actually think Damien Storm would have done a better version of that, vocally. And the musicians don't even play the fucking riff! It takes all the drama out of the song and reduces it to, well, modern symphonic quasi-metal mush.

Yea that's the thing. It's not some random live cover, its a studio cover/unofficial addition to the repertoire, they're playing that studio cover live, and they are quite faithful to it. There's nothing gone horribly wrong with it like the Paul Di'Anno covers. Now if you want to say that cover was absolute dogshit and Tarja needs to slapped repeatedly with vinyl copies of Oceanborn and Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2, I'd second that notion.

I kinda wish a Sharon Osbourne would have taken over Tarja's management and pushed her in a more power metal direction. Like Doro? Yes, but a younger, sleeker, more likely to Trojan horse into American corporate mainstream award shows version of Doro.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:21 pm 

that Ayreon performance looks like it might be worth a look lol

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:22 pm 

This one was too good to not share. No significant/well-known band, just a couple of amateurs with little talent going for way too big of a vision then they're capable of.

Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Sonic_Titan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:05 pm 

Worthless band but damn, this live performance is absolutely terrible..

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:00 pm 

HOLY SHIT, this Morbid Angel performance in California from last week, specifically God of Emptiness.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:05 pm 

^
I just saw them in Seattle and, yeah, for the most part the band was tight but man something seemed seriously wrong with Trey. He was just kind of off to the side of the stage, out of the light, not moving at all, fucking up all his guitar solos. My thought was that he was just really stoned and having an off-night, but apparently he's having an off-night every night this tour. Pretty sad since I'd never seen them before. Steve Tucker was still a great frontman though and I was still able to enjoy their set, plus all the other bands that played were totally ace (which also sort of highlighted Morbid Angel's sloppiness lol).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:48 pm 

And also this one from LA:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:00 am 

Hmmm, that one did seem to be mostly technically related. Then the related fuck ups seemed to be due to that. His solo wasn't that fluid, either. Could be an RSI or strain of some sort; he's not getting any younger.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:02 pm 

Holy hell. I love Morbid Angel, I dig the current lineup, but that set ranged from just decent to utterly wretched. Trey looks and sounds severely impaired; it had me worried about his health.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:07 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Trey looks and sounds severely impaired; it had me worried about his health.

That's what my friends and I were talking about after the show we went to two weeks ago. He did not look very well.

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:03 am 

There's some footage on youtube from the New York show 2 days ago and Trey plays well there so hopefully it wasn't anything serious.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:50 am 

Runko wrote:

Skip to 20:20... Wow.

Hilarious- but also sad because HE USED TO BE GREAT! Not just OBVIOUSLY the first 2 Maiden records, but also Battlezone, who were pretty damn good! Listen to "The Land God Gave To Cain" and you can hear what he USED to be able to do!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:32 am 

uzilover wrote:
There's some footage on youtube from the New York show 2 days ago and Trey plays well there so hopefully it wasn't anything serious.

Saw them last night and they played fine. Trey probably just would’ve rather played with Immolation than Cannibal Corpse. :p

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:49 am 

Trey was on point on Saturday and so was the band as a whole, and he was just typical weird, overly excitable Trey in person. My guess is that he was either sick (not his fault) or drunk (definitely his fault, and Steve likely sat him down about it if he was) on those bad nights.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:35 pm 

I noticed a couple moments throughout the set where Trey messed stuff up (the first tremolo riff in Day of Suffering was noticeably botched), but overall they all were tight and didn't have any major, major fuckups like the videos were showing.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:43 am 

Apparently after one of the gigs on this tour, a fan witnessed Trey attach some 7/11 pizza to a fishing rod and throw it across the street to "catch rats" :lol:. He's definitely out of his mind...

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:02 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
Trey was on point on Saturday and so was the band as a whole, and he was just typical weird, overly excitable Trey in person. My guess is that he was either sick (not his fault) or drunk (definitely his fault, and Steve likely sat him down about it if he was) on those bad nights.

ever heard of drugs? ;) Dude seems like he has some problems.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:35 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:

ever heard of drugs? ;) Dude seems like he has some problems.

Trey, to the best of my knowledge, is not really a drug guy. Alcohol, definitely, the dude has a major drinking problem, but if you've ever met Trey, you'll realize that the dude is weird as fuck even when stone sober.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:38 pm 

It's Florida, man. Being from there just makes you fucking crazy in a way that nobody else can really understand.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:05 pm 

i always heard that trey was more of a druggie of the psychedelic kind

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:25 pm 

Trey not a drug guy? Seriously? That guy has breathed more weed than oxygen.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm 

Runko wrote:
Trey not a drug guy? Seriously? That guy has breathed more weed than oxygen.

I should have clarified "hard drugs", which I would not put psychedelics under.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:02 pm 

I am a huge fan of Insomnium, but the guitarists were definitely drunk when they played this:

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:33 pm 

I love this band, but this is fucking atrocious.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 am 

Paradise Lost has quite some funny videos.

Greg keeps fucking up that simple main riff so much that it becomes comical as the song progresses. :lol:

This one's also quite something - Greg wasn't there, the sound is off and Nick Holmes messed up (he actually starts off promising sounding aggressive but really reaches a low point when he tries to hit those high notes at 3:13) - The entire concert is on youtube and worth a few laughs.

Nick Holmes clearly struggling to sing here. Highlights include 15:25-15:30 and 31:15

GrayChild
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:57 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jfsTftkx-Y

Entombed A.D. have not been too hot lately, but this performance in particular and especially the "solo" at 03:40 is downright sad.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:47 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
Trey, to the best of my knowledge, is not really a drug guy. Alcohol, definitely, the dude has a major drinking problem, but if you've ever met Trey, you'll realize that the dude is weird as fuck even when stone sober.

Are you kidding me? He used to talk all the time about hallucinogens and using drugs to "expand his creativity", etc.

So he's a burnout now even when he's sober, just like other ex-druggies I've known. That's a sure-fire recipe for becoming "weird".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next