Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:08 pm 

Spoiler: show

For those of you who enjoy Mechina the new 'Compendium' box set is up for pre-order and it is only ltd to 300 copies. Personally I really enjoy the band's work and love the sci-fi theme and story. This will contain all 6 albums and singles with improved sound across the board. Price is actually much less than I had thought so if you enjoy their work don't miss out as there are not many copies left!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 06370&fs=5

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:21 pm 

They might as well just re-record Empyrean for their next full-length. They've really nailed the sonics lately but the songwriting is becoming too bloated. The riffs aren't hooking like they should.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:38 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
They might as well just re-record Empyrean.

This and I am sure most would agree. The mixing / production on that album kind of ruined it so would be great to hear a version with their modern sound. I am just glad to finally have 'Xenon' and the singles on disc format as well as looking forward to hear the upscaled sound. A 'story book' of some description would have been cool to follow as it can get quite confusing, but still makes for a very interesting concept.

MeatWolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:10 pm 

The digital version is out and I can hardly believe how utterly dissapointing it is. Everything is now buried under a new colossal layer of orchestrations which murder all the old familiar melodies and dynamics the songs used to have. I can't understand this. I just can't.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:35 am 

MeatWolf wrote:
The digital version is out and I can hardly believe how utterly dissapointing it is. Everything is now buried under a new colossal layer of orchestrations which murder all the old familiar melodies and dynamics the songs used to have. I can't understand this. I just can't.

In total agreement. "The Iron Law" is the track I generally judge a lot of Mechina by, and they did exactly as you described: shuffled the mix and rewrote pretty much all the orchestral portions. The first mistake was making the orchestral portions far too loud. The second mistake was rewriting most (if not all) orchestral portions of these songs and completely changing the dynamic of the sound, to a massive detriment.

They really only needed to beef the drums up a decent bit, move the guitars higher in the mix and move the orchestals up slightly. Hell, I might even be OK with this if they kept the same orchestral portions even if they decided to move them up so high in the mix. But doing both, and this is basically all new music. Diamhea would've hated this. :/

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:15 am 

Completely disappointed by this... Just took a listen to Cryoshock and almost dropped my jaw in disbelief, how the fuck is it possible to ruin the guitars that bad? I blindly jumped and preordered this, now I hate myself for it. Fuck this shit.

MeatWolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:10 am 

I couldn't even fathom this would turn out this way so I blindly preordered the box as well. I thought he would just remix/remaster the old stuff to the level they had on Embers which would have been perfect. Just another reminder to never pre-order anything without preliminary listening.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:15 pm 

Judging by the comments, I can say I am glad I haven't purchased this. Sounds like a total disaster.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:44 am 

Wow, I had missed these updates since preordering.
I had dabbled into Mechina's music here and there through the yearsm, but never bought any albums; I figured out this box could be a good chance to snatch a few of them in a single pop, plus directly supporting the band in the process.

...just my fucking luck.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Gornot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm 

I let out a satisfying chuckle every time someone mentions Mechina. Got it recommended by a friend, listened to the debut and thought to myself "this is the biggest garbage I've heard in the past 10 years". But anything beyond the debut is fucking awesome. Conqueror is kind of odd at times (actually, scratch that, it's kind of shit as well), but beyond that it's just a giant "holy shit" experience.

I didn't realize they were releasing this, and reading through the previous posts, I have to ask because I'm so curious: is it really that bad? Rewriting orchestrations and remixing stuff sounds good to me, unless they really REALLY fucked it up... And yet still I'm curious just how different it is and if it's as epic as the originals.
Shit, I need to track down the digital version and give it a listen...

Reply to topic