Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:15 pm 

Rime of The Ancient Mariner is one of the best metal songs ever, but it would be better without that sleep-inducing ambient interlude.
The moment with acoustic guitars on Annihilator's Stonewall when the vocalist sings "it's time to listen, blahblahblah, it's time to listen". Sounds like something that came out of Picnic of Love.
And of course, that part on Diamond Head's Sucking My Love. :puke:

Non metal - the moment when weird random noises pop in in Blue Oyster Cult's Joan Crawford.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:55 pm 

Disagree about Rime of the Ancient Mariner. That interlude really fits the feeling of the song, about being resigned to an unending cursed existence that makes the character tired of life.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:54 pm 

The sing-along part toward the end of Mastodon's "Aunt Lisa" is so incredibly cringe worthy to me. Kills it.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:05 pm 

The "Zeig Heil!" gang shouts in Flotsam & Jetsam's Der Führer shouldn't bother me since I know the song is not pro-nazi whatsoever, but I can't put the song on a shuffle since I just know it's inevitable that at work a bunch of co-workers would waltz into my lab just before that part kicks in. It's kind of an obnoxious inclusion anyway.

This actually happened to a fellow co-worker, who was listening to Floyd's The Wall when some young minorities (who never heard the album) walked in during the "Get 'em up against the wall!" part of In the Flesh, and they weren't amused. He tried to explain to them "It's a narrative story ark of a concept album! The band is against racism!"
Their response: "Yeah sure...enjoy your music" with a snarly tone.
Of course, no one else roamed in during the rest of the album.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:46 pm 

Wanderlust does take an odd turn, but I don't think it ruins the song.

There is not a single second wrong with My Selene.

My contribution to the thread is Tiamat's Evilized. The blues breakdown is just so out of place.

Also those stupid acoustic intro/outro parts of every Iron Maiden song after 2003.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:35 am 

Yes, some of those recent IM intros are quite pointless. I think The Red and the Black just rules (the best song on the album), but those shouts in the middle of it seem so forced. "Stupid crowd, you sing along now."

FatTheGates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:14 am 

The stop-start part of Paradise Lost "Falling Forever" followed by an unforgivably happy/bouncy riff at 01:00 just ruins this song for me.

And fully agreed about those spoken-word parts on the first Resurrection album. You really have to suffer through a few of them which seem to go on forever. It's the one thing that keeps me from buying that album on vinyl, since I can't easily skip past them.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:59 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Disagree about Rime of the Ancient Mariner. That interlude really fits the feeling of the song, about being resigned to an unending cursed existence that makes the character tired of life.

No kidding! I love that part. Some serious ambience for metal in 1984. It struck me really hard when I first heard it at age 15. Not only is the ambience great and totally fitting, but it allows time for someone (Bruce?) to whisper out some of the Coleridge poem, which (putting aside the godly message) is some really eerie, sinister stuff. Sure, it might not be Richard Burton reciting or whatever, but it's still awesome.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:43 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
Nightwish's Beauty of the Beast could do without the pseudo-philosophical poem at the end. Also Nightwish's A Song of Myself should have ended at the 7 minute mark. The rest of the song (an additional 7 minutes) is more pseudo-philosophical monologuing that completely kills the momentum of the song.

I'm fine with the way Beauty of the Beast ends, but I will agree 100% on Song of Myself. I just skip the rest after 7 minutes because there is no point in continuing with it after that. I would also make the same case for Poet and the Pendulum going real strong up until the end when it takes a very slow, drawn out turn for the worst. I just pretend that the ending doesn't exist.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2