Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:51 am 

Quote:
Ihsahn will release his seventh solo album, "Ámr", on May 4 via Candlelight/Spinefarm.

True living legends are few and far between, but Ihsahn has long since earned the right to be regarded as one of metal's all-time greats. As frontman and chief songwriter with legendary Norwegian black metal pioneers EMPEROR, he swiftly cemented a formidable reputation as one of the underground's most idiosyncratic creative forces. Classic albums like 1995's "In The Nightside Eclipse" and 1997's epoch-shattering "Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk" ensured that the young band were among the most respected the most popular of Norway's many black-hearted exports. Their imperious rise to prominence came to an unexpected end after the release of 2001's wildly intricate and grandiose "Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire & Demise", but it was an album that suggested that Ihsahn's compositional journey was far from over.

Reincarnated as a solo artist for 2006's "The Adversary", Ihsahn has spent the last 12 years forging a second path through artistry's darkest shadows; one that is making more and deeper connections than any of his past endeavours. With a sound that still retains strong links to his black metal roots while embracing everything from skewed art rock and avant-garde jazz to experimental electronica and dark ambient, each successive album has presented a brand new manifestation of the Norwegian's unique craft: from the muscular and haughty riff sculptures of "Angl" and "After"'s haunting, saxophone-driven mirage to the tech-metal explorations of "Eremita" and on to the wild, avant-metal splurge of "Das Seelenbrechen", Ihsahn's catalogue speaks of a restless creative spirit with ideas to burn.

In keeping with that spirit, 2018 brings the arrival of Ihsahn's seventh solo album, "Ámr". Another immersive and frequently disorientating eruption of refined and absorbing progressive extreme metal, it echoes the meticulous precision and structural simplicity of 2016's widely acclaimed "Arktis". Album while taking Ihsahn's music somewhere entirely new, where the hiss and throb of old school analogue synths dominate and the atmosphere is airless and oppressive. Once again percussively propelled by longtime drummer Tobias Ørnes Andersen and with a blistering guest solo from OPETH's Fredrik Åkesson on "Arcana Imperii", "Ámr" is another evolutionary leap from one of metal's most remorselessly forward-thinking protagonists.

"It's just lovely to work with Tobias," says Ihsahn. "I know that he can technically handle anything I throw at him. But more importantly, when I say like; 'I want this to feel like the vacuum between words in a conversation with Hannibal Lecter,' he will say, 'Yeah, I get that!' [Laughs] So for him, it's not about showing off, it's always about relating to the vibe. With Fredrik, we met first time in Oslo, when I did my debut solo show as support to OPETH and later we've hung out on different festivals when we happen to play the same day. Last time in Japan when we played there with EMPEROR and OPETH. We were talking about guitars and I said, 'Not to kiss up to you or anything, but you're absolutely one of my favourite players, so some day I might call you for a guest solo…' and he says, 'I'm in!' He did a fabulous job."

As with all of Ihsahn's solo albums to date, "Ámr" possesses its own unique atmosphere; a palpable sense of tension and unease that infuses even the album's most melodic moments with heightened drama and otherworldly menace. But despite its often-claustrophobic feel, this is very much an album of beautifully crafted and shrewdly arranged songs. Although as dark and intense as anything he has conjured before, both the depth of sonic texture and the clarity of his overarching vision are more impressive than ever.

"Knowing that the form would be somewhat similar to what I did on the previous album, and given that I write stuff in a certain way, I wanted to change the wrapping this time," Ihsahn notes. "So instead of going with my go-tos of strings and orchestration, I focused on analog synths and more in-your-face sounds. It goes back to the beginning of EMPEROR, when we brought in strings and horns inspired by orchestral movie scores by John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith, but at the same time we loved all those eerie synth soundtracks of, for example, John Carpenter's 'Halloween'. I've also been listening to some contemporary R&B and hip-hop stuff with those deep, deep 808s. It's just somehow darker than a lot of metal or black metal. It has a depth and an energy to it that I find captivating, so I wanted to explore those arrangement styles as well."

Another bold stride into uncharted territory, Ihsahn's seventh solo album is the legendary Norwegian's most eclectic and challenging to date. Morphing fluidly from mellifluous art rock ambience to vicious extreme metal, covering all points in between, the likes of grandiloquent opener "Lend Me The Eyes Of The Millennia" and the wild, melodic melancholy of "Sámr" blend seamlessly with ornate, progressive metal monoliths like "In Rites Of Passage" and the immaculate, climactic "Wake". Drenched in evocative synthesizers and brimming with skewed-but-irresistible riffs, "Ámr" is both Ihsahn's most accessible record to date and his most extreme departure from his black metal roots.

"Every album I intend to make the darkest album ever," Ihsahn says. "I never set out to make anything more melodic or accessible. However, growing up on '80s metal, plus having a rather wide range of musical influences, I often end up with quite contrasting elements. This is my seventh solo album, so in the end it really comes down to methods and perspectives that keep me exited and fired up about what I'm working on. If I'm not excited about it, I can't expect anybody else to be!"

"Ámr" track listing:

01. Lend Me The Eyes Of The Millenia
02. Arcana Imperii
03. Sámr
04. One Less Enemy
05. Where You Are Lost And I Belong
06. In Rites Of Passage
07. Marble Soul
08. Twin Black Angels
09. Wake

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:39 pm 

Count me in! Interesting to see how these mentions of Carpenter, contemporary hip hop and RnB, 808s influence the music here.

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 pm 

Oh hell yeah. Can't wait. All his albums had something interesting in them and I doubt this one will be any different.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:14 pm 

I will enjoy the album, although I'm bit wary of the direction he seems to be taking. Last album I definitely liked but it lacked some depth compared to previous work.
Also the moustache he has been spotting is embarrassing :/

That being said, i ll preorder pretty much as it becomes available. After is my all time favourite album..

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm 

fourrobert13 wrote:
Info

Thanks! :beer:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/emperors-ihsahn-to-release-seventh-solo-album-amr-in-may/

jjohn wrote:
Also the moustache he has been spotting is embarrassing :/

Let's see. I could never get into his solo stuff but I enjoyed the last album quite a bit.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:25 pm 

I've liked all of his solo stuff so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:05 am 

Man, I really enjoyed After but I haven't been super excited about any of his other solo work. It seems to me that most of my friends who are really into his solo releases are all guitarists, which I can totally understand. It makes me feel like his song-writing is more oriented towards displaying virtuosity than it is toward depth, but it could also just be that I just don't "get" it.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 am 

That cover looks like a Jay-Z album or something.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:44 pm 

If this album is as enjoyable as the last Jay-Z album, I'll be quite pleased.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:18 pm 

nekrosonic wrote:
That cover looks like a Jay-Z album or something.

Ármchair

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:49 pm 

I liked Eremita and The Adversary but his solo work is definitely hit and miss with me. Nothing else really captures my interest. Maybe a track here or there.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:16 pm 

Just a pet peeve that the press release mentions "solo artist/album" multiple times, even though other musicians appear on it.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:07 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:22 pm 

exsiccation wrote:
Every Ihsahn album is at least great, if not excellent. He can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Well, his hipster appearance is certainly wrong... Let's hope that the music will rock. Although I consider After an amazing record, I feel that it was the last genuine album we got from him; after that he started putting out weird albums, which -to me- were experimental just for the sake of it, and without any depth to them, Das Seelenbrechen being the biggest example of that. I also cannot understand why he thinks his current drummer is better than Mickelson, the drumming is sub-par in all his albums since 2010.

Yes it is.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:27 pm 

LefterisK wrote:
Well, his hipster appearance is certainly wrong... Let's hope that the music will rock. Although I consider After an amazing record, I feel that it was the last genuine album we got from him; after that he started putting out weird albums, which -to me- were experimental just for the sake of it, and without any depth to them, Das Seelenbrechen being the biggest example of that. I also cannot understand why he thinks his current drummer is better than Mickelson, the drumming is sub-par in all his albums since 2010.

lmfao metalheads still complaining about hipsters in 2018. And if we are really gonna nitpick how an artist looks, Ihsahn looks way better than the average tub o lard in cargo shorts you see in death metal or the middle earth gimps/alcoholic domestic abusers you see in black metal bands. :lol:

Personally, I found Eremita to be pretty straightforward, it's got some of Ihsahn's most catchy tracks. I do agree tho, Das Seelenbrechen was pretty whack. What did you think of Arktis? I don't know if it was as moody as After, but I think it might have been his most straighforward solo album.

@CloggedUrethra, I think solo artist/album means he wrote the material, aside from guest solos or whatever. I could be wrong in this instance, though.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:53 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
LefterisK wrote:
Well, his hipster appearance is certainly wrong...

lmfao metalheads still complaining about hipsters in 2018. And if we are really gonna nitpick how an artist looks, Ihsahn looks way better than the average tub o lard in cargo shorts you see in death metal or the middle earth gimps/alcoholic domestic abusers you see in black metal bands. :lol:

Who cares?!? :scratch:

:nono:

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:04 am 

i remember seeing ihsahn live a while after after had come out and being disappointed to find no sax on stage

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 am 

joppek wrote:
i remember seeing ihsahn live a while after after had come out and being disappointed to find no sax on stage

There is a video floating on youtube, with Einar vocals substituting the saxophone on stage. Oh my God, he was even better than sax...

I liked Eremita a lot and I agree with it being straightforward. Save for The Grave, which is great, pretty much everything else is catchy as f**k

I liked Das Seelenbrechen too, in fact I would have preferred for him to continue in this abstract/black metal business he dabbled with there(that poem bonus track in Arktis is awesome...) than the pop-ish metal served on Arktis. Not that it was bad, song-writing was great, but not exactly my style...

That being said, he posted a promo for a video-clip yesterday on facebook, with some keyboard melody, it sounded alright!

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:31 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Count me in! Interesting to see how these mentions of Carpenter, contemporary hip hop and RnB, 808s influence the music here.

Same here, I love Carpenter and 808:s. Modern hiphop is usually shit but if anyone can make it work in the context of metal it's Ihsahn.

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 am 

and first song is out

All over the place isn't it?
Guitar work is good(obviously), but the poppish parts seem to not gel so much

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:46 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:

exactly my point.

Oddeye wrote:
Same here, I love Carpenter and 808:s. Modern hiphop is usually shit but if anyone can make it work in the context of metal it's Ihsahn.

I'm glad I'm not the only one intrigued. I happen to love a lot of modern hiphop and, especially, RnB.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:10 pm 

Well that was odd. I admit to having sort of lost track of his solo career after the first two albums (which I liked, maybe not loved), and god knows Emperor was/is one of my favorite bands, but if you'd played me that song without the vocals, I doubt I would've known it was Ihsahn. That repeating, hammering chord kind of reminded me of "Of Blindness and Subsequent Seers" and that little orchestrated breakaway around 1:15 had some Ihsahny keys (but weirdly otherwise reminded me of Opeth); other than that, though, while not bad, it definitely sounded nothing like I was expecting. I mean the main riff was ... djent? Not that I dislike that kind of music; I love Meshuggah.

One of these days I need to catch up on his solo stuff.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:31 pm 

Digging the new track, love the build up of the guitar harmonies with the rhythm during the intro section, the chorus section is great, recognizable yet fresh. I think primarily where Ihsahn succeeds, and this is the case with all his truly great stuff is crafting songs that are recognizable as themselves and not just "oh another Ihsahn song".

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:43 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:52 am 

Second song "Wake" was released yesterday on ....Spotify of all places. It doesnt seem available anywhere else yet, but you can convert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at7LR0WLSrs to mp3 and hear it like I did.

I like it a lot it is much more focused than "Arcana Imperii" and quite catchy. Hope the rest of the album is like this...

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:00 am 

jjohn wrote:
Second song "Wake" was released yesterday on ....Spotify of all places. It doesnt seem available anywhere else yet, but you can convert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at7LR0WLSrs to mp3 and hear it like I did.
I like it a lot it is much more focused than "Arcana Imperii" and quite catchy. Hope the rest of the album is like this...

Youtube link down.
https://www.facebook.com/ihsahnmusic/posts/10157924722293973

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:58 am 

You can convert that YouTube link to MP3 using some converter if you're like me and don't have Spotify like me, that's why I posted

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:04 am 

jjohn wrote:
I liked Das Seelenbrechen too, in fact I would have preferred for him to continue in this abstract/black metal business he dabbled with there(that poem bonus track in Arktis is awesome...) than the pop-ish metal served on Arktis. Not that it was bad, song-writing was great, but not exactly my style...

Word! I loved Arktis, but Das Seelenbrechen is something really, really special. It's the one Ihsahn album I keep coming back to.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:28 am 

Wow, the (production of the) drums really suck(s)! The bass drums cannot be heard properly and there is not even a noteworthy drum fill. Ihsahn should have sticked with Asgeir, his drum-work was and still is impeccable. I did not like the song either; it is better than the one released first, but the chorus ruins it for me.

Yes it is.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:37 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:50 pm 

New track

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:11 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:15 am 

^ missed it. My bad.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 pm 

Where did the luscious decadence of angL go... seems the only album of his I love.

"There is panic in my designation
Like soothing wine is my despair
Gracefully I fall to pieces

There is vanity in my destruction
There is mockery in my ordeal
Indefinite the course of my descent"

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:28 pm 

The album is "out there" for those interested.

I've had 2 listens so far, and it's as expected a continuation of Arktis. I don't find much to love, it sounds a bit safe to my ears with clean vocals abound, not by any means bad, but not something that I am particularly interested in listening more of. I reserve further judgement till I hear the bonus track "Alone" but so far the best thing about this album is that it comes with a signed postcard...

Perhaps I'm just outgrowing Ihsahn
Anyway Wake's the best track.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:00 pm 

i found it meh, it's good but not really remarkable in any way, probably will get the occasional spin in those days i'm feeling like hearing ihsahn discography but doubt it will get much play time by itself

agent_fist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:48 pm 

This is awesome. It's diverse, inventive, and heavy, yes, but it's also vulnerable and joyous--listen to that vocal work in "Twin Black Angels." What a gift of an album.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:15 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:36 am 

Listened to Twin Black Angels. Nice guitar solo but other than that it sounds like music the barista at my local who 'used to like metal' would listen to. Not for me. I also double the comments on the drum sound and playing - the sound is really poor on that track (and the following one which I was listening to as I started to type this). Got opening track on now - nothing interesting going on the drumming here either and the keyboards drown it out. I am listening via decent headphones and can hear everything well.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:35 pm 

Quote:

:scratch:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next