The rule of possibility applies here - 6%

CannibalCorpse, July 14th, 2007

Yes it's true. Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh's Demo 47 - "Evil" features one semi-good riff.

This riff can be found in the otherwise worthless track "Go to Hell" - the "main" riff of this song might sound like a slightly sped up early Deep Purple riff, but it's actually listenable. This warrants the high rating (for Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh standards) of 6.

The rest is the same shit as always, if not a slight bit worse than before, due to the additional computer distortion on Luc Mertz's laughable attempt at vocals. They are more upfront than ever; therefore they are also a lot more annoying than on earlier demos. The drum-machine has also taken a greater part, which makes the kitchen equipment take a step deeper into the background. This fact is neither a blessing nor a curse, since both sound crappy in their own way, even if the kitchen-knife thing he does might at least be a bit more original.

The songs on this demo are shorter than usual, some are supposed to be punkish, raw black metal while others are a lame attempt at "ambient interludes". Did Mertz "write" them while being influenced by his wife and kid? We don’t know and we don't care.

I still don't get why Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh releases are so easy to obtain on various sources like DC++ - while I have a hard time with finding GOOD underground releases over the internet, Luc Mertz's crap seems to get hyped a lot more than I expected - a disgusting thought.

If you are amused/disgusted/turned on by Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh's work, you should check this demo out, because it's a proof that the rule of possibility even applies to Luc Mertz, if only for one little riff which is buried beneath the feces that is Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh's Demo 47 - "Evil".