It's all downhill from here... - 65%

engineofhate, May 11th, 2006

After their killer debut, Vanishing Vision, X would go on to release albums with more variety in them. And although horrid production plagued their debut, it was unavoidable for a band just starting out. Blue Blood marks their entrance into a major label, and as usual, with major labels usually comes watering down of music.

If you thought the audibility of the instruments was bad the first time around, it doesn't get much better on this release. But while the debut had killer song after killer song, this album was toned down much.

The opening introduction track is not that memorable and drags on far too long.

Blue Blood is the next song, and killer power metal it is, with a good solo to boot.

Weekend is the next song, and it took me a while to like it, but it is a good stadium rocker. The solo is fucking fantastic...in fact, the solo was what kept me listening to this song until it grew on me.

From here on, most of the album is listenable, but nothing to rave about. Easy Fight Rambling is typical 80's hair metal drivel, as if there aren't enough bands doing these songs already. X is supposed to be the band's theme song. And theme song it is, with the band screaming "X!!!!" on the chorus. Personally, I can't stand this song...Osheaman's review pretty much covers it. Endless rain is an uninspired power ballad, and Celebration starts off with a good Guns 'n' Roses type of riff, but once Toshi starts singing, it sounds like typical 80s hair metal yet again.

The only other good tracks are Kurenai, which was on the previous album. XClamation is a great experimental interlude, where the band members get to really shine, especially the drummer and the bassist. Rose Of Pain is an interesting epic, starting off with erie baroque-ish organ playing, and with killer bass work at around 8 minutes.

Overall, this is a decent rock album, but nothing I'd listen to in its entirety. The horrid production is a part of it; any fan of rock music, particularly metal, would soon notice the disappearance of guitar riffs as they listen to any given song, and the vocals overwhelm everything else. In fact, after this review, I probably won't bother listening to it again. The ratio of good to bad songs just isn't worth it, and musically, it's nothing groundbreaking either.