Yeah ... So What!?? - 50%

Xeogred, July 10th, 2007

That's exactly the level of satisfaction I get while listening to this album. "Okay ... so what?". Lets say Running Wild is Dr. Pepper, that makes X-Wild Dr. Thunder. It isn't bad but why bother when you can get something of the same sense but of much higher quality and just all around superior?

I don't know all the details but X-Wild is basically made up of remnants from one of Germany's metal legends, Running Wild. You've got an ex-axeman Axel Morgan on guitars, the more well known bassist Jens Becker, and Stefan Schwarzmann on drums. Then there's their vocalist Frank Knight, whom at times does sound a bit like Rock´n´Rolf though much weaker and more limited, he actually manages to sound more like Udu than anyone else. He never seems to dare to put his balls to the wall though, I'm just not feeling any kind of energy from this guy at all.

So we've got a handful of great musicians here, but what do they do? Its like these guys stole some of Rolf's blueprints from Running Wild's mid-era (Black Hand Inn, Masquerade), watered it down beyond imaginable, stripped the pirate image, and topped it off with terrible Accept-like ballads. Utterly lifeless and extremely uninspired, they could have done a lot better than this. On top of all of this, the production is hardly commendable. Its not terrible or even really bad, but extremely bland and just downright boring.

Musically the album seems almost like its completely divided into two pieces. Can't Tame the Wild, Scarred to the Bone, Skyboiter, Kid Racer, definitely sound like mid-era Running Wild more than anything else. Fast and aggressive with nonstop double bass drumming, unfortunately these four songs sound too similar thus making them all very unmemorable. Between these tracks you have Dealing with the Devil, Wild Frontier, Beastmaster, Mystica Daemonica, and Thousand Guns, these are the slower almost very Accept-like ballads that don't really ever become too complex or diverse. Ironically enough these slower songs make up the majority of the longer tracks here, which is a shame because of how basic they are. The track listing itself is too predictable and leaves you with no surprises. Its fast song, slow song, fast song, slow song, etc. Freeway Devil is the only track on here that shimmers with a spark of diversity and is probably the only interesting track here worth hearing, though it does sound like its trying to be another Treasure Island.

Even when someone brings up Running Wild or Accept, X-Wild never pops up in my mind. Why would I recommend this to anyone? I'm not even sure if its possible to do so. Maybe if someone just by some fluke accident heard X-Wild before a bunch of other bands they could maybe appreciate them, but there's seriously next to nothing worth hearing here. Its utterly lifeless and will leave you with nothing but ultimate emptyness. Extremely boring and just downright pointless. Their next releases would seem to improve a bit, but their ripped off formula is still definitely there so I can't even recommend those. Just, move along.