Excellent, Odd, Industrialized, Technical Thrash - 90%

rwolfe, February 1st, 2013

Wrekking Machine is one of those obscure bands you stumble upon and consider yourself a lucky dog for it. Mechanistic Termination appears to be the only full-length they ever came out with, and the world is a better place for it. Too bad we couldn't have gotten more from these guys.

Mechanistic Termination sounds a lot like Toxic or Watchtower leaned a bit more toward crossover and also took on a band member who was heavy into industrial music, and they let it show in the songwriting and sounds. They are tight, technical, heavy, and use a lot of thrash riffs. The tempos range from mid- to true speed/thrash speeds. No true grindcore parts and no slow dirges. Definitely a product of the late 80's/early 90's, and with not a hint of nu metal or melodic death at all. There are a lot of great, thrashy, upbeat crawls with intricate picking.

Here's what makes the band and this one record really unique, though. There are distorted vocals here and there, as well as the occasional weird sound effect, like an industrial band might use closer to 100% of the time, but if you go looking for these touches, there really aren't many of them. Even so, if you think of Wrekking Machine's sound, it definitely overlaps or at least touches an industrial sound. But it's mostly because of the actual writing and execution of the guitars and drumming. The riffs and tempos are just very mechanical, manic, and upbeat. Thrash metal in particular is often comprised of guitar riffs that are more percussive in nature than truly melodic, and Wrekking Machine does this extremely well. Even so, they have catchy "choruses" and interludes that will stick in your head. They are not so experimental as a Voivod or even Prong, though. This is dated, old-school thrash at its heart, but with these touches that do make Wrekking Machine different from the rest in the same category.

Also, Wrekking Machine has a serious attitude. A lot of that is conveyed in the vocals. The singer is not typical. He reminds me at times of the guy from Toxic or Watchtower, though he's not quite that high in register. And he's more snarky and reminiscent of something you might more likely find in a crossover act. He does not take away from the heavy, though, and he is a highpoint of their sound, if you ask me. But it is different and makes the band who they are as much as the mechanistic songwriting approach. That stated, it may be that you might find some folks who would say, "I like that band, but singer doesn't do it for me." He is different.

The guitar tone on this record is great. Razor, yet not tinny. Nice, full-throated crunch. The solos are mostly of the more technical variety, like something you'd hear on a Toxic or Watchtower record. The record has pretty great production all-around. The percussion can be pretty frenetic and have a lot going on, but it's all easy to pick out and quite impressive, actually.

For fans of Watchtower, Faith or Fear (especially like what they did on Titantium), Destiny's End, truly heavy music with a lot of attitude, thrash metal in general, maybe a soft spot for crossover, and odd timing/interesting picking.

Highly recommended.

Wrekk this place! - 78%

piperman69, May 19th, 2009

Wrekking Machine is a pretty unknown band, I found it by accident by searching this site and the name made a spark in my head. I bought it off eBay for 5$ and I listened it. In the beginning it sounds rather strange, especially the vocalist, but after some hours of processing my ears started liking this. A lot!

Do not get fooled by the date (1993) this reminds me a lot of Vio-Lence’s Eternal Nightmare and Forbidden’s Twisted Into Form. This is pure technical thrash with some touches of punk and hardcore in the vocals to make it even better! The best thing (or the worst for some people) here is the vocals. It is like a mix of Sean Killian and Russ Anderson, a clean aggressive punk voice. You either love it or hate it. Listen to “Hear Me Now (Listen To Me Later)” and “My Myself & I” to get the full feeling.

The guitars here are the only thing that will surely be appreciated by the listener. Usually odd chords are used, instead of the standard fifths, and it really fits well with the voice. I mean if you don’t bang your head to the sound of Wrongful Snagulation you propably aren’t a thrash fan.

As for highlights, I would choose ”Wrongful Snagulation”, “Brother Man” and “My Myself & I”.

Too bad they didn’t continue as a band. The few mistakes found here would surely be corrected in another album. As for this one, it is just a matter of taste. Fans of Vio-Lence, Gammacide and Forbidden will like this a lot, but fans of more aggressive thrash (Sacrifice, Sodom, Coroner) will reject this instantly.