Wrecked Be Thy Name - 80%

GraveWish, September 12th, 2011

Given the amount of upcoming metal bands, it’s getting harder and harder to be positively surprised by a new release. Fortunately, that isn't always the case. From the first riff on the very first track I knew I was in for a real treat. The quality shines out. This CD has it all! I would have to say ‘Tis Life EP by Wrecked is one of the most diverse metal albums I have ever heard. It has certainly covered some broad ground musically. Stoner, doom, southern, thrash, groove, progressive, alternative metal and hard rock! I think it borrows something from a lot of those different elements. Definitely it's not one of those CDs that you'll put it on and every song sounds like the last one. Getting past all of the silly labelling, New Point, Indiana based metallers Wrecked are simply an old-fashioned styled heavy metal band. Some would say it’s a double-edged sword, but in our case, the band manages to balance it well.

The first and foremost advantage of this album is a high number of catchy guitar riffs. While listening to the album, one can notice the clear progression in heaviness. In fact everything is well structured and every song has perfect mixing, nothing is too loud, and no riff ever gets too murky. I should also admit that the singing is unique. Vocals range from typical traditional doom and all its variants to a more groovy sound reminiscent of Pantera and the latter Nevermore discs. The bass is heavy and usually follows the guitars with slight variations on the riffs. As for the drums I appreciate when they are done right. Unfortunately, on this EP they are not so loud but as they are, perfectly fit the album's overall tone. In the majority of doom metal related albums the lyrics are deep and usually deals with the subjects in a poetic way, this isn't the case here. Apparently Wrecked band members prefer to focus their attention on the music and not the words.

Overall, 'Tis Life is definitely a solid release, highly advised for every single metal lover around the globe regardless his music preferences. If you like talented music then get this album and most probably you will enjoy it. I am personally highly anticipating the next release. Finally, the album's closing track, "'Tis Life", is a highly recommended doomy song.