Noise For Noise's Sake - 81%

televiper11, November 11th, 2014
Written based on this version: 2011, Digital, Scion Audio Visual

This free Scion A/V release from Wormrot is an interesting proposition. Although they aren't a particularly political grind act, the thread of leftist punk is certainly present in their music, making the corporate sponsorship of this EP particularly interesting. I don't want to dwell on it per se, just note that things have certainly changed since the late 80's scene (an era of grind that Wormrot's style obviously emulates). Personally, I am down with free music and have enjoyed several of Scion's previous offerings so let's leave scene politics out of it and just focus on the music.

Noise opens appropriately enough with some noise: high-pitched, shrieking feedback under which some scuzzy bass introduces what will be the main riff, which is chunky and engaging, kicked forward by some high-voltage drumming (alternations between d-beat and blasts). The vocalist screams and roars in a variety of registers and overall the vibe and tone is vintage Napalm Death/Siege/Repulsion without much advancement (influences from next level innovators like Assück and Discordance Axis are almost entirely absent), which is okay because Wormrot deliver the goods with energy and efficiency, which more than makes up for the over-familiarity. Wormrot are winners in the riff war, coming up with some compelling riffs that are actually listenable and don't just blur mindlessly past, and winners too in pacing and variety of tempos. For a miniscule EP, Wormrot should be credited for how engagingly each individual craft is crafted. Particularly of note is the insane off-time vocal and drum pattern in the middle of "Perpetual Extinction," off-kilter ideas like that (which occasionally floated around on their full-lengths too) should definitely be expanded upon.

In the end though, I'm still not totally sold on Wormrot. In an era that has seen incredible releases from bands like Nashgul, Keitzer, Insect Warfare, and Death Toll 80k, Wormrot's critical enthronement has struck me as slightly shallow. That said, Noise goes a long way to demonstrating that Wormrot is indeed a cut above the cloth and potentially on their way to true greatness.

Wormrot - Noise - 95%

tcgjarhead, December 1st, 2011

Not only did the Singaporean grind band Wormrot release the epic album Dirge this year, but they have graced us with the excellent EP Noise released for free by Scion A/V. With 5 tracks coming in at just over 5 minutes, if you have listened to Dirge you know you are in for some blazing fast grindcore in the vein of Early Napalm Death.

This is some really great grind. The vocals range from an extremely high pitched yell to something resembling a death growl. The lyrics are spat out at times lightning quick and you know this would shock anyone who is not prepared. I heavily enjoy the style of vocals presented by the band. Don't get me wrong, this isn't anything different than what we have heard before. But for me the harshness of what these guys let lose from their throats just never gets old.

Each song is close to a minute long give or take 10-15 seconds. Loathsome Delusions starts it off with a sharp noise before blasting into absolute mayhem. In most songs here there are crazy frenzied sections of blasting and insanely quick riffing which will usually move into a slower more punkish sounding segment. Interestingly enough Perpetual Extinction actually has a brief harmonized guitar section that comes out of no where but sounds awesome.

Wormrot continue to impress the extreme metal world with this short EP. Even as short as it is it lives up to the praise they have been receiving lately. Its got the blast beats, chaotic riffs, throat shredding vocals, and plain good song writing that makes a band (in this sub-genre) truly great. If you are looking for a quick grind fix, look no further than Wormrot's Noise.

Originally reviewed @ http://abaddonsmetalshop.blogspot.com/