"Fucking Brilliant Bastards" - 100%

Death_Thrasher, December 4th, 2012

Ask any seasoned metalhead (who isn't a hopelessly ignorant Bruce Dickinson fanboy) which of Blaze Bayley's albums is the best, and chances are 'Silicon Messiah', 'X Factor' and 'Tenth Dimension' will be mentioned. All good albums. To really understand why people are so devoted to this eternal underdog of metal, though, listen to 'Massive Noise Injection'. It's raw. It's loud. It's unpolished. It's littered with mistakes. Blaze's stage banter is anything but elegant. It's glorious.

Wolfsbane swept the radio singles and ballads to one side and focussed squarely on their loudest, most raucous material for this live album, giving it the rough and ready production that was missing from the studio albums (all of which sound painfully tame and civilised in comparison). Anthems like 'Steel', 'Manhunt' and 'Loco' sound a thousand times better when the band have got a drunken mob bellowing along to the choruses. The guitars shred, the drums pound and Blaze screams like a banshee; this album is so alive with energy that it makes you wonder why Wolfsbane even bothered with recording studios; if they'd just recorded it all live down the pub, their discography would be flawless!

I'm not going to go into detail regarding songs, as every one of them rocks like a bastard. One highlight I will mention is Blaze's - err - colourful stage banter. I've never heard a singer so gleefully willing to abuse his audience. "You with the short hair! Don't give a fuck who you are, fuck off!"; "You all look like you're waiting for the cat to come in for a piss or something"; "Stop wanking yourselves off and get your hands in the air!" It's all in good spirit, of course, and it certainly seems to do the job in getting the crowd going.

With a career full of serious albums about war, armageddon and self-loathing, it's nice to hear Blaze simply belting out fun songs about drinking, fucking, fighting and rocking. It's not subtle, but since when was subtlety one of hard rock's virtues? This is a bar room brawl with guitars, and if you don't love it, you can fucking fuck off, you wanker.

As live as it gets. Period. - 100%

L_H, August 14th, 2005

Well I'll be damned! Being a major fan of Blaze Bayley's solo career as well as his work with Maiden, I went back in time to check out Wolfsbane, starting with their sophomore effort "Down Fall the Good Guys", and while it was a rather fun mixture of Glam, Rock'n Roll, Punk and the odd shot of Metal here and there, it really didn't impress me a whole lot. A few fun catchy songs, some cool guitarworks, that was it.

A few months later, I got this album - and holy fuck, now I know what these guys were all about. Wolfsbane were an absolute live band, and if you doubt the words of their old fans who saw them back in their days, this album alone will convince you. This is easily the most live album I ever heard. Yep, that's right. Where huge legendary bands deliver albums with crowds of thousands, or tens of thousands, or even two fucking hundred thousand fans, this little band that never quite made it needed but an hour long gig in front of a few hundred people to deliver a disc that basically teleports you straight into their gig, right into the front row. Sure, this is far from a famous live album, it doesn't hold any legendary landmark songs of Metal, and there's live albums that beat it in the pure musical department - but when it comes to what live albums are all about, the live atmosphere, the screaming, the shouting, the interaction of band and fans, the urge to jump up and down, to go absolutely fucking mad and bang your fucking head, and bang it hard, then this largely overlooked album is, frankly, the absolute pinnacle in all music, ever ( I say music because it's besically semi-metal at most, with Wolfsbane's huge Rock'n Roll and Punkish influences always present).

Furthermore, Wolfsbane did everything right that they could for this album, and nothing whatsoever wrong. Every single song here sounds better than the studio album, and every single song sounds 100% live - both when you hear the fans, and in terms of playing - rough, heavy, often exaggerated and full of shredding. There's not a single bad song to be found on it, and a few real standouts - Steel, Black Lagoon, Paint the Town Red, Manhunt, The End of the Century and the closing cover of "Wild Thing" come to my mind as the most memorable tracks. Sure, no songs here are as good as, say, Exciter, or Hallowed Be Thy Name, or Hangar 18, but the band really got 200% out of every single songs on this disc.

Now, the music itself - well, most of this isn't really all that metal. There's a few exceptions like Steel and Manhunt, but generally, most of this music can be more or less descriubed as "Heavy Punk Rock'n Roll" - yeah, that's one fucking stupid genre name, but you get the idea. There's really nothing like it out there, so it's a pain in the ass trying to describe it. Boatloads of shredding, a great variety of riffing from the pounding, speedy, heavy as fuck "Steel" and "Protect and Survive" to the slow, grinding Load me Down. Songs like "Manhunt", "Steel" Boatloads of songs that were made to be played live - everything here is catchy as anything and makes for brilliant concert singalongs. Oh yeah, the solos are something completely out of this world, and one of the most metal elements in the music - crazy, speedy shredding with an impressive sense for sound and melody, once again I can't recall ever having heard anything quite like it. Another thing are the vocals. Blaze really doesn't sound that much like he would later on - a lot of shouty vocals, a lot of really fast singing, and even quite a few insane Banshee screems - you hear that the man struggles, that he doesn't quite have the voice for them, but puts a 150% effort into them anyways and pulls them off in total spite of his range, and they come out as absolutely vicious.

Oh yeah, another highlight of this album on behalf of Mr Bayley - all the little speeches to the crowd, the yelling, the swearing, the threatening ("If you're not putting your fists in the air before we go off this stage, I'm coming out there and I'm gonna fucking kill you fuckers!!"; "You with the glasses! Get your fists in the air or fuck off out the gig!" etc- there's tons of that stuff) - totally mad and mental, yet hilarious at the same time, this approach is just about as Heavy Fucking Metal as it could get. Fucking hell, this is more Heavy Fucking Metal than Motörhead and Overkill combined.

Anyways. This is definitely the perfect live album. It isn't any complex shit or revolutionarily virtuous, but it's catchy as fuck semi-Metal music complete with an unparelleled atmosphere that all comes together to one huge load of headbanging fun. Unless this type of music with its punkish and Rock'n Roll influences turns you off, and I mean turns you off entirely and without any reservations, then by all means, get your hands on it. There are no equals.