Solid UK doom - 70%

Andromeda_Unchained, August 2nd, 2012

Album number two from the traditional doomsters Witchsorrow. It's clear the band worship the likes of Black Sabbath, Pentagram and Saint Vitus and Witchsorrow's style is almost the dictionary definition of no-frills doom. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as doom metal is a style not to be messed with and Witchsorrow play with conviction.

There's no chance God Curse Us will appeal to anyone outside of the doom circles, but for fans of the genre I'd say you are in for a treat. Fuzzy, bluesy riffs and guitar leads slither through mammoth arrangements, sucking the life out of every hanging note, with funeral march drum beats and of course some chunky bass lines. The vocals hang low in the mix, giving an arcane feel, and the style of these vocals is a slightly harsh, almost spoken approach.

To level some negatives upon God Curse Us is that even for the genre the songs are particularly drawn out, in places verging on funeral doom-type pacing. The riffs aren't as memorable as I would like, and I feel Witchsorrow have a tendency to ride some of these out a little more than necessary. Fortunately there is noticeable effort to remedy the drudging pace with some opportune mid-paced chugging, this certainly helps keep the attention when some of the songs become a little drab. The atmosphere is pretty good too, which is something essential of the style.

All in all I think Witchsorrow have put out a solid release here, despite some pitfalls which probably aren't going to be much of a problem for the more ardent doom fans. Whilst the band still have some ways to go before they can match their heroes in terms of quality, their hearts are in the right place and when it comes to doom it wouldn't take an idiot to notice that Witchsorrow mean business. Fans of doom should know what they're in for, and I would imagine those who favor this genre will enjoy God Curse Us duly.

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt.com