Obsess Much? Yes. - 100%

MetalEnlightenment, February 12th, 2013

What can we say? The man behind Wintersun, Jari, is a dreamer and he is damn proud of what he has produced. Passion and effort were greatly applied here, so much so that Jari is not willing to ask a native English speaker to help him correct his lyrics, hence the lyrical slips such as "I have awaken the darkness". This music means everything to him and if he were to die right now, he might not feel as if there was "so much left undone."

Of the five tracks, there are two "pairs" of tracks on this album. The first two tracks form a nearly 18-minute anthem which can be divided into five parts. The elements of these parts (in order) are: entrancing, powerful, ambitious, peaceful, and then mighty. Darkness and Frost is an instrumental (as is the first track) and escalates perfectly into the final track, Time. Time itself is more of a one piece prog track as opposed to being split up into parts. And thanks for the solo. The screaming is as dark and clear as ever and the singing is very methodical and can really captivate an attentive listener.

The entire cd is mixed together into one huge anthem except the transition from Sons of Winter and Stars to the middle track (the oddball). My first listen to Land of Snow and Sorrow left me a bit confused. Being extremely catchy yet epic, I thought 'what is this slow mawkish track even doing here'? It took a few listens to start understanding it. Although being more mellow in comparison to the other more swift and variant tracks, this track shines as a plus. It is a song for true Wintersun fans, yet a track you could play for a Sabaton fan and blow him away.

I am not quite sure exactly what took so long for this release, and frankly I do not care. There is a lot of other music to listen to. Maybe Jari could only write and record his music when he felt like it. However, that does not matter because the music is what it is. And it is awesome. Splitting the album into two releases in two different years was an attempt to get the band a bit more noticed. A brilliant idea, turning out to be a great success. I hope Jari is laughing at the critics who think they know him and his music better than himself.

Good job man.