One of the best music dvd`s I`ve ever seen!!!!!! - 97%

terrorsatan, December 8th, 2005

When I bought this dvd at a record fair in Oslo for about one week ago, I never expected it to be this good. I thought it was just the rockefeller farewell show on this, but infact the bonus on this dvd is just as good as the main consert.

The main consert is the final farewell show from the remaining members of Windir, recorded live at Rockefeller in Oslo the 3rd September 2004. The setlist is only 10 songs long, but its still a great show. Only real problem is that they could have chosen another setlist, but most of the Windir songs are classics anyway so its not a big issue. The vocals are handled mostly by Windir rhythm guitarist Sture, and some vocals by Valfar`s big brother Vegard. I think Vegard is a body builder. Wouldn’t mess with him, that’s for sure, cause he is a big one. You can easily tell that he doesn’t have much live experience. But he does a good job. Most of the clean vocals are handled by Cosmotron(or something like that). Overall a good consert.

The bonus is a about 20-30 minutes long collection of live clips from the period 1997-2003, a 5 min long interesting interview with Valfar (without subtitles), about 30 minutes with backstage material from around the world, and finally a slide show gallery with photos of Valfar and the rest of Windir too the sound of the last half of the song Journey to the end.

The live clips are really cool. Only problem is that many of the songs are incomplete for some weird reason, and many of the clips have poor quality. But the fact that you get to se parts of the very first Windir show from 1997, and also get to see clips from several different shows. And last but not least, you get to see Valfar performing Windir classics. The 5 min interview with Valfar is for Norwegians only, as there are no subtitles. I think it is a quite old interview from 1998-1999 or something. He tells abut folk music, and how he got inspiration from local west Norwegian books about history and myths. There is also quite a lot of backstage footage filmed at various locations around in Norway and during the US tour of 2003. Cool to see how they live, and you also get an impression of how the various members are as persons. And finally, there is a photo gallery slide show to the sound of the second half of the track Journey to the end.

All in all this is a great dvd, and a safe buy for all fans of Windir, and melodic folk music in general. Although it is a few things that should have had subtitles on, this is a safe buy for all foreigners too.

Dauden har tekje Valfar, Lengje leve Valfar! - 99%

ad, October 16th, 2005

When a person dies, his significance, vitality and influence on others determine how long his reputation will stay in our memory. The sad moment after the death message will evolve into a proud memory of what the individual created, managed and did during its lifetime. However, someone disappears into oblivion while others remain in the heart and memory of the predecessors.
The last example is evidently the case with the norwegian hero, valfar. His music, knowledge and enthusiasm for black metal and national history will never be forgotten in the metal scene.

In memory of the brain behind their band, Windir played a concert in Oslo and this live performance was recorded and now finally released on a dvd. A crowded Rockefeller enjoys the band as they are making a magnificent summary of Windir's discography. The vocals are handled by the imminent creature of Valfars brother, Windirs guitarist and even Cosmocrator appears on a couple of songs. People are engaged and the concert in general is really good. Spewing forth songs from all the albums, this set is the ultimate Windir playlist (though they could have playd even more songs). It starts out with "Sognariket sine Krigarar" and when the classic masterpiece "On the mountain of goats" is played, Windir are their best. Despite the fact that it is pretty hard to select my definite favorite from the show, I have to conclude with the last song, "Arntor, ein Windir". The crowd is in awe and the song is a perfect example on Valfars ability to compose brilliant music. Its not pertinent to go in details on the show, as people reading this instead are recommended to go buying it them selves. Therefore, lets check the extra material:

In the history of Windir, the band has developed into a serious live act. Some of their old live efforts are shown on this dvd, and we all get confirmed how enormously enthusiastic Valfar was about his music. Though the clips suffers from decrepit quality, it gives you an interesting insight on the past of Windir.

For norwegian comprehending people, there is a NRK interview with Valfar where he proclaims his view on the black metal scene, his astonishing interest for national history and how he mixes black metal and norwegian folk music. A bit short, but absorbing and nice to hear.

After an aeon of marvellous music from one of black metals most creative people, we will all remember Valfar, the Windir and his fantasitic musical achievements. As he glances down on us from the battlefield of Valhalla, he is extremely proud and he certainly wants you to buy this awesome dvd. Heidra Valfar!

Valfar himself has blessed this from Valhalla - 100%

Wikingus, July 17th, 2005

I bought the Windir DVD at Kaltenbach Open Air, and immediately after getting home I put it into my DVD player.
As a long time Windir fan my expectations were high, and they were exceeded.
The menu itself contains only two clickable options; whether to watch the Heidra Valfar concert, or to view the extras. But that's plenty of stuff, let me tell you!
The concert is nothing short of fabulous. It starts with two drummers drumming the tune from Arntor, positioned infront of a large screen displaying the Windir logo. The concert kicks off after this with Valfar's brother on the vocals. It continues until the end with an explosive pace (some of the vocals on certain songs are done by Cosmocrator, who really delivers a marvelous performance...you can see his feelings for Valfar clearly). The oncore consists of Byring (during which the Windir logo is replaced by photos of Valfar) and of course Arntor ein Windir, which has to be one of the most kickass live songs in metal.
The extra goodies consist of several live clips from different shows from the past (on one clip we actually see Valfar performing 1184 with his accordion!). There is also an extensive photo gallery, plus hilarious backstage footage of recording Likferd, travelling to the USA, drinking, etc.
And finally, there is an interview with Valfar for Norwegian Television, but sadly it has no english subtitles. And that is really the only thing I could possibly hold against this DVD.
Windir have found and brilliantly delivered the best possible way of saying goodbye.