A masterpiece of black/folk metal - 100%

606thecliff, May 19th, 2013

Arntor is an amazing album in that almost everything is does by one person. That's right and Valfar sure is a talented individual in that he can play and mix several instruments and still make an amazing piece of music. And of the four Windir albums this one would probably be my favorite. Given its heavy harsh chilling riffs like those on the track Arntor Ein, Windir or some of the calming beautiful atmospheric melodies in the longer tracks. With everything that is happening in the music its hard to believe it was mainly Valfar's mind that was able to come up with all of this

But alas, onto we came to talk about the music. First off the album starts off with a slow melodic piece comprised of folk instruments to give you a peaceful feeling and then "SMACK", the first guitar riff comes in on track 2 giving you a taste of what is to come. Awesome black metal riffs backed keyboards and synths to give an amazing atmosphere. Then its backed by Valfar's black metal screams as well folk chants. And thats with all the mixtures of atmospheric sound on this album its hard to stop paying attention because of everything thats going on and how beautifully melds into beautiful atmosphere that fully engulfs you into the music of Windir.

My favorite track from this album would have to be either Saknet or Svartesmeden og Lundamyrstrollet. In that they are both long epic tracks both over 8 minutes. With Saknet starting with a depressive black metal riff then goes to soothing beautiful synths and goes back to more beautiful riffing backed by blastbeats. Then the song with the really long name starts with an amazing keyboard rhythm backed by a beautiful atmospheric black metal riff and boy is it memorable but then again all the songs are. It even has little melodic breaks that are light but still manage keep my attention somehow unlike softer moments on other albums I have heard.

The album ends well with the heavy and relentless song Ending. It is the heaviest and probably one of the most straightforward songs on the album. It basically sums up the album by making using of keyboard melodies, harsh screams, and chilling riffs, as well as folk in under four minutes while most of the tracks on the album range from 6 to 10 minutes in length.

Overall, I would recommend to this to fans of black metal who don't mind some experimentation as well as those into folk metal. For this album perfectly molds all its influences from black metal to folk music and even a little bit of electronic music. As it truly is an amazing album that usually ends up my rotation of cds to listen to. I also recommend this to people who are looking for something atmospheric but don't want to sacrifice any heaviness to hear it, this album is a great combination of both.

Highlights : Svartesmeden og Lundamyrstrollet, Saknet, Kong Hydnes Hong