Generic, but acceptable. - 50%

mrdanteaguilar, March 6th, 2011

Recently, I decided to check out many deathcore bands a friend of mine recommended. Along those bands, I listened to I Declare War, Fallujah, Impending Doom, Oceano, Job For a Cowboy and Whitechapel. Except for JFAC (which were the worst), all the bands sounded like exact clones. They don't sound similar, they sound IDENTICAL. So did this album.

It's not that it sounds bad. It's just that, well, it sounds too forced. Some of the songs stand out and manage to get stuck in your head like ''breeding violence'' or ''the darkest day of man'' (the best song from the album). All the instruments sound perfectly arranged, with audible vocals. The main problem is that the whole thing doesn't sound original at all.

Some claim this is the new sound of metal today, but it actually sounds like watered down, ultra soft brutal death metal. This is actually very ''br00tal'' (or ''brewtl''), perfect for your average scene guy who just got into metal last thursday. However, this sounds very bland and lacks something that makes me headbang or want to mosh, in the same vein as Slipknot or Korn, only with more breakdowns and even cleaner production.

What I can tell from what I've listened Whitechapel (pretty much all their albums, being ''This is exile'' the most decent one) is that they have always sounded generic and manufactured, and unfortunately with this release they made no exception. C'mon people, metal is not just breakdowns or playing downtuned guitars.

Music goes like this. Pretty much the whole album is made with chugging guitar riffs, half-assed guitar solos and computer sounding drums. Some songs manage to be very catchy. ''Darkest day of man'' is very appealing, incorporating decent guitars with good vocals courtesy of Phil Bozeman (a true god for teenager kids who want to be ''vokillists'') and some interesting lyrics. Same with ''breeding violence'' and ''reprogrammed to hate'', which create a dark atmosphere, straight from the darkest corner of your local mall. It doesn't mean it's bad, it's just very teenager oriented. Also it's very important to mention the bass is, as expected, unaudible. The deep sound is there, the low sounding guitar is doing its job, but it doesn't stand out, it's just there.

Now for the lyrical contentm here's an example:

How the fuck could anyone believe the truth
When the religious fools have endless prophecies
Bring it all down to an end
I find it amusing when you think it all makes sense
I have the solution
Bring it all down to an end

Maybe it's just me, but I find the use of curse words very childish, as it makes the music much less aggressive. Might as well just apply the Slipknot formula of fucking-shit-motha-fucka.

It's still entertaining and somehow tolerable, just like the bands I mentioned before. But after a while it gets really boring, since you heard the same thing thousands of times before.